Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

Turin Turambar posted:

The big secret you have to know about Dominions is that your odds of winning are 50% decided before you even start your first turn. It's a very front-loaded strategy game, we could say. I'm talking of what you choose before: nation, pretender, scales, bless, etc. Yep, 50%.
Take a nation that sounds "cool", pick a pretender that strikes you fancy, and distribute the points more or less even without a real plan in mind (as a first-time player surely do), and you will barely survive.

In the other hand, examine carefully the nation you are going to play, its strong and weak points, the possible synergies between units and spells, the possibilities of blesses, what magic in your Pretender could synergize with the national mages and what magic could complement the areas they lack, what scales are appropriate to maximize the strong points of the army and the economy, what magic path you need to bootstrap a magic booster production, what key spells you should research first, what troops are going to be your expansion army in the first year, if you should take an awake or dormant Pretender taken in account the previous point, etc, and your odds of winning will increase heavily.
It's all about synergizing Nation, Pretender, magic and scales.

Now, that's the general point, that's why people say IRC, because the possible synergy/strategy will be different in each nation and there are different options each.
After that, it's all about snowballing in the first years, take lots of territories, that means more riches, that means more troops and mages, that means more forces to take even more territories, etc.

I would disagree strongly with the predetermination thing.
Diplomacy is a huge Thing which can mitigate a surprising amount of crappy starting positions.
There isnt a whole lot that could mitigate a dumb pretender though, and IRC will be a huge help in not making a dumb pretender.
I often use AI games to test how rapid exansion would work. This is often usefull, since being good at that is a big benefit. Just be sure that you match your Expansion with appropriate diplomatic efforts lest you get gangbanged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mightypeon posted:

I would disagree strongly with the predetermination thing.

I said 50%, not 100%! I'm not saying that it totally predetermines everything, just that in comparison with other tbs, it's much more important. You can think "I'm good, I could do it well with some random picks and compensate playing perfect, doing good diplomacy, etc". But still you could do it twice as good with picks where you put proper thoughts, research and experience at work.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I always found it funny that the demilich has a head slot, so you can put a hat on an undead human skull to make it better at casting spells, especially when that hat itself is a skull made into a helmet. I also like to imagine that my demilich just keeps a Fire Skull and Skull Mentor around for the company more than anything else.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
He needs another misc slot so he can hang out with Carcator too!

Whoever's making the Awesomeish gods, please let the Skull Crew happen, thanks.

E: There's also the Brazen Vessel, and Champion's Skull too, so I guess he needs 5 misc slots for maximum skulls.

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 16, 2014

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

I said 50%, not 100%! I'm not saying that it totally predetermines everything, just that in comparison with other tbs, it's much more important. You can think "I'm good, I could do it well with some random picks and compensate playing perfect, doing good diplomacy, etc". But still you could do it twice as good with picks where you put proper thoughts, research and experience at work.

The main frontload thing id really note is just gem site seeding, sometimes you can get incredibly lovely seeds where you dont find a single gemsite for the paths you have while ones you dont have languish undiscovered until end game. That and not getting any indie mages to help broaden your paths while others might get 2-3 recruitment sites. That said i dont know the mechanics of how sites are determined so maybe its completely opposite.

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012
Posting it here to make sure everyone knows. Transformation crashes multiplayer games, do not use it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

More mod commands

quote:

2014-08-15 17:38:59 +0200
New mod commands: #raiseonkill, #raiseshape, #prophetshape, #insane
New mod commands: #clear (for weapons and armors), #copyweapon, #copyarmor

2014-08-15 11:21:49 +0200
New mod command: #diseaseres

Always interesting to see because they can give a glimpse to the next nation.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

So what, a bunch of insane diseaseproof two-form transmuters?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I'm looking forward to #raiseonkill and #raiseshape since when the a weapon or spell with #raiseonkill kills something, it's brought back to life as whatever thing the #raiseshape is assigned to. Now I can make chryssalids that make zombies, and the zombie's deathshape is another chryssalid.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
#prophetshape seems cool because you can make a metagame out of each of your commanders having a different powerful prophet shape and having to decide between them.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

amuayse posted:

I'm looking forward to #raiseonkill and #raiseshape since when the a weapon or spell with #raiseonkill kills something, it's brought back to life as whatever thing the #raiseshape is assigned to. Now I can make chryssalids that make zombies, and the zombie's deathshape is another chryssalid.

Xcom mod when.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

They would need earthquake-like attacks where they cannot harm units with float or flying.

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

A brief summary of Orchard, from the perspective of Pan-

I was pan, on a team with C`tis and Asphodel. The basic plan was to leverage the white and black centaurs in the early game, and dom-push like crazy in the mid/later game. The pretenders we picked were:

Power Girl (Pan, Disciple) Gorgon Paths- 4 A 2 W 4E 4N
The Gorgon is a pretty strong expansion chassis, but with the bless we took (see later) she's REALLY strong. 4A allows for nice self-buffs and arrow fend, if archers are a problem. 2W for quicken self, 4E and 4 Nature aren't amazingly useful, but are pretty cheap

Princess Rainbow (Asphodel Disciple) Sorceress paths 4 FAWESDNB
A standard multi-path site-searcher. Useful primarily to get gem income up and forge randomly needed stuff

(Can’t) Stop the Rock (C'tis Pretender) Scorpion king: 9F9E Scales: Order 3, Sloth 3,Heat 3, Growth 1

9F turns white and black centaurs into murdermachines, and 9E gives them more protection and makes sure they don't get tired. It also helps to make sure Power Girl stays on her feet. None of us need much in the way of resources, so S3 is fine, while O3 and G1 help to get our cashflow up.

How did it work: Pretty well! I tended to bunch my centaurs much more than was needed, due to fear of getting jumped by ponymens (our first target was Vanrus/Eiru/Vanheim) so that war didn't end until much later than it needed to. However, the combo of white centaur deathball and hordes of cheap, lovely freespawn from Asphodel allowed us to roll over them. I funneled a lot of early nature gems their way, and threw down Gift of Health and Mother Oak as soon as was practicable.

Then came the skellingtons

The second team was Hinnom/Ermor/Sceleria, and they had wave after wave of skellingtonmens. They managed to get down a vengeful water, that meant that we were playing defense while our million cheap temples slowly dompushed down the map. They launched a pretty effective raid into my territory, while we counter-raided underwater with a small squad of white centaurs. In the end, we managed to get vengeful water down, and were in the process of slowly pushing down the map.

Things I learned:

White centaurs stronk-
I should have spread out my centaurs and used them as a more raid-y force rather than keeping them bunched together all the time

TOOOOADDDDSSS-
I didn't manage to get rain of toads going at reasonable levels until after eiru died, and toading team skellington didn't seem super-effective (because Pandemonics require 2 boosters, in general, to be able to throw it). In the future, focus less on toads and more on getting a better blood economy going

Design stuff-
I was basically broke constantly. This is because Pans are expensive and non-scared and white centaurs are expensive, period. Maybe taking more money instead of E9 would have been worth it.

Anyway, picture!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

AXE COP posted:

#prophetshape seems cool because you can make a metagame out of each of your commanders having a different powerful prophet shape and having to decide between them.

Prophetshape already exists on a couple of monsters, it just doesn't actually work. Or rather it does work but you only get stat bonuses, not +magic paths or special abilities.

Presumably that means it will be fixed, but...

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Orchard kind of sucked for team ponymans. We spawned right between team skellington and team nature, so that we were the only target for both. The team didn't really communicate, either, so we were pretty hosed from the start. I had fun, though!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Orchard was entertaining for a bit but Ermor just up and vanished from Team Skellington forcing Smerdy to do double duty and we had absolutely zero long-term planning because the start and end of Team Skellington's strategising was "have skeletons" so by the end it was pretty boring.

The map was also atrocious which didn't help.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Lprsti99 posted:

Orchard kind of sucked for team ponymans. We spawned right between team skellington and team nature, so that we were the only target for both. The team didn't really communicate, either, so we were pretty hosed from the start. I had fun, though!

There's really no justification for not having NS and EW wraparound unless you've specifically designed a map that will be balanced with it. If you don't, then they guys in the middle get screwed every single time. Every. Single. Time. Without wraparound the winner is almost always someone who started in a corner or next to the corner and killed the guy who started there. Bad ocean placement can also accomplish the same thing.

As for Orchard, we suffered from a lack of late game strategy and our Ermor being a noob, then staling for several turns then me having to do double duty with them, but I think disciple Ermor can be really strong if played right.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Gentleman posted:

Posting it here to make sure everyone knows. Transformation crashes multiplayer games, do not use it.

That's a loving tragedy for Asphodel.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

That's a loving tragedy for Asphodel.

The progress page mentions a Transformation bug being fixed, so hopefully they're aware of it already.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The turn after the patch hit I had planned on doing transformation on the bulk of my Enkidu Shaman stack in Sunshine. Then the bug hit and since I'm not a total shitlord I refrained from casting it.

Then the game started throwing Alteration Rituals are Cheaper this Month. Basically dom4 is trolling me.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The turn after the patch hit I had planned on doing transformation on the bulk of my Enkidu Shaman stack in Sunshine. Then the bug hit and since I'm not a total shitlord I refrained from casting it.

Then the game started throwing Alteration Rituals are Cheaper this Month. Basically dom4 is trolling me.

Heh yeah the transformation bug is an amusing 'nerf' to Pangea and Ur :v:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I learned in Orchard that MA C'tis is a ridiculously good anti-undead nation. Wither Bones, Control the Undead, Solar Rays, Ravenous Swarm, Cleansing Water, and H3 Banishment makes Sceleria and Ermor cry. C'tis also isn't a slouch when it comes to spamming huge numbers of undead and insects as well.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Also random tip. If you find a throne province with an Annunaki of the Sky in it, bring along a mage with eye of the void so he can cast disbelieve. The Annuaki of the Sky's spell script is usually Arrow Fend, Phantasmal Army, Phantasmal Army, Phantasmal Army that's why.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 18, 2014

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

amuayse posted:

Also random tip. If you find a throne province with an Annunaki of the Sky in it, bring along a mage with eye of the void so he can cast disbelieve. The Annuaki of the Sky's spell script is usually Arrow Fend, Phantasmal Army, Phantasmal Army, Phantasmal Army that's why.

Thank you so very, very much for this. Those particular thrones are a bitch to conquer.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Hmm, Nazca and Xibalba was announced.
http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/upcoming-nations

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
So stoked for Zotzlan.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

GreyjoyBastard posted:

So stoked for Zotzlan.

You ready for swarms of cheap stealthy naked batmans with giant two-handed obsidian swords who just want the sun to come back?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Pretty hype for both of those, honestly. :toot:

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Bat people you say? Now that is exciting news indeed!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I already use the zotz dudes a lot when presented with the opportunity to do so as they are incredible particularly if you have earth. If Zotzlan also has earth it could create balance issues so hopefully they don't.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I already use the zotz dudes a lot when presented with the opportunity to do so as they are incredible particularly if you have earth. If Zotzlan also has earth it could create balance issues so hopefully they don't.

Pff why would cave dwellers have earth magic.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
What's so great about Zotz?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

How are u posted:

What's so great about Zotz?

Very cheap small naked stealthy flyers with good offense who only need some +prot buffs to become surprisingly potent.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Neruz posted:

Very cheap small naked stealthy flyers with good offense who only need some +prot buffs to become surprisingly potent.

Earth is The People's Magic and can be used as a great equalizer by blowing up everyone's armor, increasing your own armor/strength, etc. So your cheap and mostly terrible flying size 2 naked dudes with stone swords suddenly become a serious threat and can quite easily 1 or 2 shot human sized troops or swarm down giants. Considering your guys are flying, cost 9g 2res and are innately expendable, mobile and easily replaced you could see why this could be very powerful. And that's just with the random indie shitlords that you get from caves. Now imagine they are supported by something like f9 flying sacreds.

It will be like facing MA mict eagle swarms really. Either you storm/clear the field immediately or die on the first turn.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Cool. A new detail about Nazca

quote:

...But andean ancestor worship is ripe with mummified kings/ancestors. The mummies of dead relatives were brought to feasts and owned land etc.
Nazca will hopefully struggle with the upkeep cost of their dead rulers. They will be the first nation with recruitable undead (commander).

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
It's not fair when dead people get paid more than the living.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I'd rather have EA Musclespasm

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

What sorts of transformations can you get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
You might get something cool like an ettin or something lame like a flying monkey. Ohlman posted the full list here.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=2372&view=getnewpost

amuayse fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 18, 2014

• Locked thread