Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh man that episode was fantastic. Wasn't really feeling it until the little golf dudes showed up, but everything from then onwards was hilarious. Glad Pacifica has a little more depth now because she was the most one-note stereotype character by a long way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Bown posted:

Oh man that episode was fantastic. Wasn't really feeling it until the little golf dudes showed up, but everything from then onwards was hilarious. Glad Pacifica has a little more depth now because she was the most one-note stereotype character by a long way.

It was cute that they explicitly called themselves out on it.

I loved the darkness of having a poor miner die pointlessly while looking at a little girl's drawing. And in the same episode, Dipper calls being rich cheating at life. I like both jokes separately, but I think they work even better being in the same episode.

Did they explain Soos not being a zombie anymore? Just switching without explanation is cool, but with this show, I feel like I missed something.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Wittgen posted:

Did they explain Soos not being a zombie anymore? Just switching without explanation is cool, but with this show, I feel like I missed something.

There's a good half of a scene or so at the end of Scary-oke where they're discussing this.

"Wait! There's a page in here about curing zombification. It's gonna take a lot of formaldehyde."
"Ooh, and cinnamon!"
"Come on, Soos, let's fix you up."

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Thank you. I knew that kind of continuity thing had to be addressed in the show, but I couldn't remember for the life of me.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
I'm totally making all my shirts w-neck

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Zorglorfian posted:

Gravity Falls Season 2: Northwests Don't Lose!

This episode was great. Dark as all anything and funny to boot.

The amount of VA cameos for this episode was ridiculous, and while I would like VAs to be spread around, at least we have Nathan Fillion as Pacifica's dad to still be here to lend a cameo here and there.

The Liliputtians (it IS spelled out better than voiced!) were great, especially the Miner scene (whoever said they earned the sticker was spot on), and Patton Oswalt and Jim Cummings were brilliant (the Cape Fear reference at the end and the golf BALLS song were hysterical). The amount of double entendres (Soos taking off his shirt and the BALLs in the song) was funny as well. The return of the mattress king (the lamest guy) and... Robbie??? brought a smile to my face.

This show is made with love and it shows it well with its nods to the fanbase (characters and relatable concepts) and its darkly funny humor and continuity. While I retract my six seasons and a movie statement, I sincerely have a gut feeling that Hirsch and crew know what to do to make this a hole in one from the initial hit of the ball to the hole.

I also would like to apologize for my excited first post in this thread. I'm a huge fan of animation and voice actors and I am also new to posting on this forum and I have not gained the level of critical-eyed observation that you all express in your posts (I'm a wide-eyed optimist like Soos and Mabel. I haven't gained the skepticism of Grunkle Stan or Dipper yet). However, I wish to gain that level in order to further my dream of putting out a show as good as this (therefore, the better it does, the better my future show will be in favor). (And no, I don't have kids, I was just saying that in the future, the internet would spoil this show to death.)

Thanks for having me on the forum as we go through this wild golf course of Gravity Falls Season 2!

No, thank you for posting here on the forum as we go through the wild golf course of Gravity Falls Season 2! :3: :glomp:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Mighty Horse posted:

I'm totally making all my shirts w-neck

I loved that Pacifica liked Soos's W-Neck.

Also the music during the big golf chase was rad

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
I just made the Fixin' It With Soos theme song into my ringtone, and my wife has taken "SOMEBODY GET THIS GIRL MORE CATS" as a notification tone. No idea why we didn't do this sooner, it's amazing. Everything is different now.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The bit where the W-neck flops over had me in stitched because, for some reason, I didn't realize that would happen.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

MrSlam posted:

How stupid is it that I want to know the history of the Lilliputt-ians? I have an idea in my head of what happened but I know its a question that'll never be addressed and it doesn't merit the time I've wasted thinking about it.

They split into separate societies based on their belief on which is the better end of the golf club to putt with.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DoctorWhat posted:

The bit where the W-neck flops over had me in stitched because, for some reason, I didn't realize that would happen.

Same. The placement and timing of that gag was perfect.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wittgen posted:

And in the same episode, Dipper calls being rich cheating at life.

This was the line that cemented Dipper as my favorite character. That little dude owns.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dipper was more into Mabel's rivalry than she was.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Has there been word on ratings?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Dipper was more into Mabel's rivalry than she was.

For her it's just a silly cat fight and for him it's class warfare. It's been that way since season 1

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Alan Smithee posted:

Has there been word on ratings?

For her it's just a silly cat fight and for him it's class warfare. It's been that way since season 1

His ability to unnecessarily escalate anything is kind of the driving force for many of the episode's plots. He and Mabel make a great comedy duo.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Half of the puzzle pieces, three corners...and none of them shade into each other correctly. There doesn't even seem to be a message strung across them. Is there a point I'm missing here?

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I really liked that awkward moment Soos and Stan had in the car.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

don Jaime posted:

Half of the puzzle pieces, three corners...and none of them shade into each other correctly. There doesn't even seem to be a message strung across them. Is there a point I'm missing here?

What makes you say think there's only six pieces? Could be another peice or two between the top ones.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

What makes you say think there's only six pieces? Could be another peice or two between the top ones.

A binary sequence seen in the journal in Into the Bunker translates to "PUT ALL SIX PIECES TOGETHER!"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Could be a lot of things.

Maybe it's a 3x2 grid instead of a 2x3.

Maybe that message was referring to the six pieces from the Dipper shorts, and those are part of a 26 piece giant rear end puzzle.

Maybe some of them are upside down or mirrored or something.

Edit: Maybe there's six 2x2 pieces, and they have to go on a certain order after they've all been put together.

Fake Edit: Maybe you to fold it up and wear it as a silly hat.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Aug 16, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Frungy! posted:

I really liked that awkward moment Soos and Stan had in the car.

Seriously how the hell is this show on Disney tv again?

And why is the next episode in September

Oh right Disney :negative:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

What is love?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

What is love?

This gif.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Is that from the first episode? I never noticed that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

Is that from the first episode? I never noticed that.

It's edited.

The first clue is that Waddles wasn't introduced until episode 9.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Is that scene with all the Lilliputtians fighting in a blob below Dipper and Mabel loopable? If so, someone loop it plz, tia.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Zorglorfian posted:

the Cape Fear reference at the end

I loved this because it was basically a kid-friendly version of the same Cape Fear gag that Rick & Morty did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t0WqhIv-zo&t=957s

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

counterfeitsaint posted:

Chunks of the disintegrating skull should extend into the picture below it, and the windmill doesn't have those. But there's also a pronounced difference in the background shade between the skull and the atom. Maybe it is a much bigger picture than 2x3, and the "six pieces" are volumes 1 through 6 of the journals?

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I loved this because it was basically a kid-friendly version of the same Cape Fear gag that Rick & Morty did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t0WqhIv-zo&t=957s

The sad thing is that I only know that gag BECAUSE of Rick and Morty...

September for the next episode, right? Needing more funny in my life like this right now...

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Zorglorfian posted:

The sad thing is that I only know that gag BECAUSE of Rick and Morty...

September for the next episode, right? Needing more funny in my life like this right now...
Man, what kind of child are you that you learned about Cape Fear because of Rick and Morty and not The Simpsons?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

Man, what kind of child are you that you learned about Cape Fear because of Rick and Morty and not The Simpsons?

Uh-oh. This is what old people used to say about The Simpsons.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Everyone should watch Cape Fear because it owns.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

Could be a lot of things.

Maybe that message was referring to the six pieces from the Dipper shorts, and those are part of a 26 piece giant rear end puzzle.

Maybe some of them are upside down or mirrored or something.

Edit: Maybe there's six 2x2 pieces, and they have to go on a certain order after they've all been put together.

Fake Edit: Maybe you to fold it up and wear it as a silly hat.

Maybe these aren't the six pieces the hint is about. Maybe there's some completely difference pieces that need to be put together, or maybe there'll be more than 6 pieces introduced and some of them are fakes, designed to mislead you. Maybe they don't fit together based on the patterning. If I was going to make a hidden message that needs to be put together, I wouldn't write them all on the same piece of paper then cut the paper up like that, I'd obfuscate the process by writing them on separate bits of paper, or on one bit of paper out of order.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Watching again, I can't believe I forgot about Mabel's OJ gag.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

CelticPredator posted:

Everyone should watch Cape Fear because it owns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQqo-w1qvws
Yes it does

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Slime posted:

Maybe these aren't the six pieces the hint is about. Maybe there's some completely difference pieces that need to be put together, or maybe there'll be more than 6 pieces introduced and some of them are fakes, designed to mislead you. Maybe they don't fit together based on the patterning. If I was going to make a hidden message that needs to be put together, I wouldn't write them all on the same piece of paper then cut the paper up like that, I'd obfuscate the process by writing them on separate bits of paper, or on one bit of paper out of order.

We need to hold a black light up to the screen.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

http://www.amazon.com/Gravity-Falls-Fallout-Shelter-Poster/dp/B00MRP9FOS/ref=as_sl_pc_tf_mfw?&linkCode=wey&tag=fucyeagrafa06-20

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Aww it's just a poster, I want something made of sheet metal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
So I hope I don't sound like someone out of the Adventure Time thread but now that I've caught up on these three episodes all at once, together they seem to have a uniting theme of maturity. Stan is finally being (somewhat) more honest about what he knows, Mabel reconciled with Pacifica, and Dipper finally came clean to Wendy. I think maybe that's why the Thing monster was so messed up - the threats are growing alongside the main characters.

This show still has the best opening ever. I got so excited watching it again.

• Locked thread