Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ManMythLegend posted:

You. Me. An unlicensed Kickstarter.

Let's do this.

This is how all my slashfics start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

ManMythLegend posted:

You. Me. An unlicensed Kickstarter.

Let's do this.

Hell yes, and set a stretch goal of having convention book iteration X read by stephen hawking.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Error 404 posted:

Hell yes, and set a stretch goal of having convention book iteration X read by stephen hawking.

:hawaaaafap:

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

A Catastrophe posted:

So.
Drowface.
Thoughts?
Only not racist if you're Ken Jeong.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I think it's pretty :smith: that my hobby of choice can regularly produce the same kind of scenario I see in comedies where the point is that the characters are evil idiots.

Exhausted sigh, he said.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Plague of Hats posted:

I think it's pretty :smith: that my hobby of choice can regularly produce the same kind of scenario I see in comedies where the point is that the characters are evil idiots.

Exhausted sigh, he said.

That's not evil at all.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Ahem.

Christopher Lee.

reading literally anything.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

A Catastrophe posted:

So.
Drowface.
Thoughts?

Not racist, just shockingly tone-deaf.

They may be racist, too! But the evidence is not in from a single picture.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

drowface isnt even new. there were pics and people making fun of those guys around forever.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

neongrey posted:

Ahem.

Christopher Lee.

F.A.T.A.L.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

neongrey posted:

Ahem.

Christopher Lee.

Fiasco

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Mystic Mongol posted:

Not racist, just shockingly tone-deaf.

They may be racist, too! But the evidence is not in from a single picture.

IMO it is at the very least racially insensitive. It's not just the blackface makeup but you combine that with Drow themselves actually being pretty racist.

I'm willing not to ascribe specific malice to the people dressing up because white nerds are amazingly ignorant about issues concerning any group they don't personally belong to but it was in astonishingly bad taste for Wizards to tweet about it like it is a good thing to do.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
The whole WotC D&D operation is basically a bunch of white male nerds in an office, so it's not entirely surprising they did that.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014
It's like the book burning. Ok, you can say you're just cosplaying as the Grand Wizard of the Ancient South in his conical face-covering white hat of intellect but that still is what it clearly is.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

A Catastrophe posted:

So.
Drowface.
Thoughts?

If I were willing to give them the benefit of the doubt I'd say it was just a sad mixup.

I am not willing to give nerds the benefit of the doubt.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Note: To get the treasure at the end of this module, you have to reenact this image.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

jigokuman posted:

Note: To get the treasure at the end of this module, you have to reenact this image.

Spanish holy week procession?

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

"[b posted:

A Catastrophe[/b]" post="433623510"]
So.
Drowface.
Thoughts?

quote:

A Catastrophe

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

A Catastrophe posted:

It's like the book burning. Ok, you can say you're just cosplaying as the Grand Wizard of the Ancient South in his conical face-covering white hat of intellect but that still is what it clearly is.

jigokuman posted:

Nerds ruin everything.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

A Catastrophe posted:

So.
Drowface.
Thoughts?

I wonder if it would be better if they used like, dark purple or blue facepaint instead, or if that's just a bandage solution. They'd probably just whine that people would think they were night elves and clearly that cannot stand.

EDIT: Or better yet, just wear the costume without any face paint. Like if you wear a corset with silver spider poo poo on it and elf ears at Gen Con, people are gonna get that you're a drow.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 17, 2014

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014

Fiasco read by John Goodman

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Marvel Heroic Roleplaying read by Robert Downey Jr.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

gnome7 posted:

Marvel Heroic Roleplaying read by Robert Downey Jr.

Or Chris Pratt!

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Dungeon Crawl Classics read by J. D. Cronise

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

TheSpookyDanger posted:

Or Chris Pratt!

Nonono. Vin Diesel. As Groot.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

TheSpookyDanger posted:

Or Chris Pratt!

Read by the entire cast of Avengers bickering amongst one another.

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

Charles Dance reading the worst of RPGs would be the best thing :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvZVpbJ9DzY

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

moths posted:

I mentioned Zak S in a directed tweet, which he then personally replied to. A day or two later I get this email from Twitter:

Of course I didn't try to log in from a strange device. So I changed all my passwords. It's like a campfire story, except instead of finding a hook on the door handle you just get a security alert.

I just got this as well. Twice. The hell?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

K Prime posted:

I just got this as well. Twice. The hell?

They tried to guess the password to and thus steal your account

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

They tried to guess the password to and thus steal your account

my twitter is a bunch of retweets and one tweet complaining about iggy. I don't see why anyone would care.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

K Prime posted:

my twitter is a bunch of retweets and one tweet complaining about iggy. I don't see why anyone would care.

They shouldn't but they're not rational people in the fandoms of those two bigots, they think any dissent is a direct attack which must be answered in ever escalating kind.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

A Catastrophe posted:

So.
Drowface.
Thoughts?

My first exposure to D&D was through an old AD&D 1E Monster Manual devoid of context. I got it from a used book fair in elementary school and didn't know there was an actual game attached to all the weird numbers and bestiary information. (I still have it around somewhere)

The AD&D Monster Manual's entry for Drow didn't have stats or illustration. It just had a minor blurb under Elf that described them as "living deep underground," having "more powerful magic," and are "mysterious." It was neat and evocative, but I was more excited about landsharks, mind flayers, and whatever the hell a catoblepas was.

So when my parents bought me the 3.5 books for christmas one year in middle school, I looked online to see what else there was and saw an issue of Dragon titled "Secrets of the Drow!" advertised on the side. My first reaction was "oh neat, they're finally detailing what the Drow are like after so long!" My second reaction was "Why do they look like they're in blackface?"

I don't like Drowface and I don't like what Drow became over the past 20 years.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

K Prime posted:

I'm just saying what it looks like happened.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Spiderfist Island posted:

My first exposure to D&D was through an old AD&D 1E Monster Manual devoid of context. I got it from a used book fair in elementary school and didn't know there was an actual game attached to all the weird numbers and bestiary information. (I still have it around somewhere)

The AD&D Monster Manual's entry for Drow didn't have stats or illustration. It just had a minor blurb under Elf that described them as "living deep underground," having "more powerful magic," and are "mysterious." It was neat and evocative, but I was more excited about landsharks, mind flayers, and whatever the hell a catoblepas was.

So when my parents bought me the 3.5 books for christmas one year in middle school, I looked online to see what else there was and saw an issue of Dragon titled "Secrets of the Drow!" advertised on the side. My first reaction was "oh neat, they're finally detailing what the Drow are like after so long!" My second reaction was "Why do they look like they're in blackface?"

I don't like Drowface and I don't like what Drow became over the past 20 years.

Drow are really the least creative interpretation of svartalfar possible. They're elves, but dark-skinned and living underground and evil. Cool. When you've managed to produce something actively worse than even a surface understanding of Tolkien, well...

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Are eberron drow racist because iirc they are ex-slave jungle people...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Are eberron drow racist because iirc they are ex-slave jungle people...
Not as racist as Eberron gnomes.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

For Japanese RPGs, like Double Cross or Ryuutama, how about Norio Wakamoto reading? Make sure it has lots of Rs!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure there's anyway to explain why underground Drow have ebony skin and not paler skin than regular Elves without resorting to curses, divine marks, and poo poo like that and I'm pretty sure "having dark skin is a reflection of the evil in your heart" is p much the racistest. It's basically conceptually identical to the Bible reading white people used to justify slavery.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
The documentary, The Dungeon Masters, among its many cringing portrayals of GenCon attendees, does focus on some people who do the Drow Blackface. The fact they're from Mississippi further entrenches the :psyduck: nature of it all. Theres no intended malice, just a whole lot of ignorance and inability to think outside of themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
The thing with drow, like a lot of D&D-isms, is that they're something Gygax & co. carelessly tossed into the game that has since become Sacred Writ, so that rather than Gygax's free-flowing fantasy gumbo, it's a bunch of cliches that have been run into the ground for 40 years. Its cliches are unbelievably ripe for mocking, subverting, or just plain improving.

With drow the bar is so low that basically anything that doesn't get nerds to cosplay in blackface would be a step up, but a couple of people have come up with some versions of drow that seem really neat. Quinn Murphy has been working on an alternate take on the drow where they're Lolth's sleeper agents in elven society, and thus necessarily look just like ordinary elves. A friend of mine meanwhile is working on a take on the drow where they're basically an elven version of Japanese gyaru, a subculture that is rejecting typical elf gender roles and asserting themselves in new ways.

• Locked thread