Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ernie Muppari posted:

So, in DWG:R, how does one kill a battleship on 5+ star difficulty without taking like, more than ten minutes? Because I've finally started to get to the higher star difficulty mission in Ultimate Mode, and they seem to take for-loving-ever to take down.

The same way you do other modes:

Use your Musou to kill all the mooks. Shoot the carrier with a Charge Shot. Use your musou to kill all the mooks. Repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Man I'd kill for a Lord of the Rings/Hobbit Musou game. Was always surprised it never happened back when the movies were coming out and every one was making a LOTR game.

WiiFitForWindows8
Oct 14, 2013

Maleketh posted:

Sounds exactly like Ken's Rage 2.

Maybe Hyrule Warriors isn't going to be so good.

they seem to be liking it in the land of the get good games first

WiiFitForWindows8
Oct 14, 2013

DrPaper posted:

Man I'd kill for a Lord of the Rings/Hobbit Musou game. Was always surprised it never happened back when the movies were coming out and every one was making a LOTR game.

Well if you want to play something that is complete and utter poo poo, there is the Lord of the Rings: Conquest which is less Musou more battlefield but hey..

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

one of the Amazon reviews said something to the effect of reborn not having a free mode where I can just pick a unit and go nuts, while 3 does. is that correct?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

madpanda posted:

one of the Amazon reviews said something to the effect of reborn not having a free mode where I can just pick a unit and go nuts, while 3 does. is that correct?

No, that is absolutely 100% incorrect. There are story modes (based on the anime) and Ultimate Mode (A bunch of missions with freely selected units and characters, as long as they're unlocked.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DrPaper posted:

The Twin Towers and Return of the King PS2 games aren't quite Musou game levels of 'tons of bad guys,' but they're still 3D brawlers with co-op where you beat up lots of dudes. Might be worth a look.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

ImpAtom posted:

The same way you do other modes:

Use your Musou to kill all the mooks. Shoot the carrier with a Charge Shot. Use your musou to kill all the mooks. Repeat.

Oh...so...like, do guys just have more HP or something?

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Endorph posted:

The Twin Towers and Return of the King PS2 games aren't quite Musou game levels of 'tons of bad guys,' but they're still 3D brawlers with co-op where you beat up lots of dudes. Might be worth a look.

Yeah, I actually have both of those :v:

Just the sheer amount of characters and histories in Tolkein's universe could be great for a musou game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ernie Muppari posted:

Oh...so...like, do guys just have more HP or something?

Enemies are a lot more durable on harder modes but if you're doing high-level stuff you should have S-ranked plans already which should be more than enough to trivialize any mook. Boss types are gonna take a bit to kill tho'.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 17, 2014

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Enemies are a lot more durable on harder modes but if you're doing high-level stuff you should have S-ranked plans already which should be more than enough to trivialize any mook. Boss types are gonna take a bit to kill tho'.

Okay, cool, I just wanted to make sure it was that and not like, me somehow missing a critical gameplay thing because I'd only played through the earlier Ultimate campaigns before now.

Oddly enough bosses haven't given me trouble so far, I mean, they've totally taken longer to go down, but it's been more like what I'd expected they'd take from the start, it's really just the battleships that I seem to be having a lot more trouble with.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

DrPaper posted:

Yeah, I actually have both of those :v:

Just the sheer amount of characters and histories in Tolkein's universe could be great for a musou game.

You best be buying Shadow of Mordor when it comes out. It looks more Batman than DW, but it's gonna scratch that itch pretty well.

That said, Sauron would pretty much fit right into Dynasty Warriors, so I can't lie that'd be fun. Lu Bu would finally get a decent challenge!

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

DrPaper posted:

Marvel Musou. Do not Pursue Dr. Doo(m)!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raserys posted:

Marvel Musou. Do not Pursue Dr. Doo(m)!
Super Smash Musou.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sonic Musou, finally all the animal friends have a reason to exist.

~Toot Toot Sonic Warriors~

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Bloodly posted:

Seems weird to talk about Zelda Warriors here. But I'm asking because I'm wondering whether the mechanic used for bases in it-Kill X enemies to reveal the captain, kill the captain, claim base-has been used before now?

Some of the DW games used it (3-6 or 7, iirc) but for some reason it was dropped in the latest. I kind of wish they brought it back as it made your defenders less useless.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

You... can shoot the carrier?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RentACop posted:

Yes, you lock onto it and use a charge shot and it makes it spew a whole loving lot of easily killed mooks.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

RentACop posted:

Yep, it's actually what I thought you were supposed to concentrate on doing when I fist encountered one (because I accidentally skipped through the tutorial).

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Oh that's not so bad then; for a second I was thinking chip-damaging them by killing mooks was the wrong way to do it, sounds like I just wasted a little time instead of a lot

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nah, it's like any other area, the mooks are the key, shooting the carrier just gives you more of them to kill.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I'm playing Hulao Gate as Shu in DW8 currently, and it says I need to use these catapults to destroy the gate and the catapults at the gate, but...I'm hitting them, and it doesn't do anything? I know aiming siege stuff can be really finnicky in these games, but I've done it every way I can think of.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Anonymous Robot posted:

I'm playing Hulao Gate as Shu in DW8 currently, and it says I need to use these catapults to destroy the gate and the catapults at the gate, but...I'm hitting them, and it doesn't do anything? I know aiming siege stuff can be really finnicky in these games, but I've done it every way I can think of.

I don't think you have to hit the gate itself, just the catapults to its sides (which should be highlighted on your map). Hop in the catapult on the hill and you should be able to destroy the enemy catapults in a couple of shots each. If that's doesn't work, it sounds like a bug.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Maleketh posted:

I don't think you have to hit the gate itself, just the catapults to its sides (which should be highlighted on your map). Hop in the catapult on the hill and you should be able to destroy the enemy catapults in a couple of shots each. If that's doesn't work, it sounds like a bug.

I was thinking it was a bug, but it actually just took like 15 hits to break the catapults, unlike any other siege segment in the game thusfar.

Edit: Guess it was bugged after all, because no officers would move any more, it didn't count the objective as completed, and I couldn't pause the game and had to kill the executable!

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 18, 2014

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Anonymous Robot posted:

I was thinking it was a bug, but it actually just took like 15 hits to break the catapults, unlike any other siege segment in the game thusfar.

Edit: Guess it was bugged after all, because no officers would move any more, it didn't count the objective as completed, and I couldn't pause the game and had to kill the executable!

Sounds like it was trying to load the Lu Bu cutscene. Are you playing on the PC?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Yeah.

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:
Has anyone actually purchased the Unique or Powerful weapons for DW8XLCE? I can't find any solid dick on them. Are the maps legitimately new or just new spawn points in an old map? I kind of assume the Unique weapons are roughly -1 star and Powerful are 7 star. Curious what they're actually like though. Just SLASH 10 VELOCITY 10 ATK 100 across the board or what

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

ExMortis posted:

Has anyone actually purchased the Unique or Powerful weapons for DW8XLCE? I can't find any solid dick on them. Are the maps legitimately new or just new spawn points in an old map? I kind of assume the Unique weapons are roughly -1 star and Powerful are 7 star. Curious what they're actually like though. Just SLASH 10 VELOCITY 10 ATK 100 across the board or what

I've gotten the combined powerful weapon pack. It's a set of maps with an assortment of officers for you to beat up. The general flow is that you beat up all but one of the unique officers, making them drop the special versions of their weapons; beating them all opens up the door to the last officer and spawns his unique weapon near his base (so you can pick it up before finishing the map). The weapons are 5 stars and a bit better than the normal 5-star weapons. They have slightly higher attack scores and five abilities, which are level 10 for those skills that have levels. My understanding is that the unique weapons work the same way. They're skinned differently (gag weapons versus actual "cool-looking" ones), but have similarly good stats.

There's also a pack that gives you the unique and powerful versions of the DLC weapons, which are just obtained through the blacksmith.

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:

Maleketh posted:

I've gotten the combined powerful weapon pack. It's a set of maps with an assortment of officers for you to beat up. The general flow is that you beat up all but one of the unique officers, making them drop the special versions of their weapons; beating them all opens up the door to the last officer and spawns his unique weapon near his base (so you can pick it up before finishing the map). The weapons are 5 stars and a bit better than the normal 5-star weapons. They have slightly higher attack scores and five abilities, which are level 10 for those skills that have levels. My understanding is that the unique weapons work the same way. They're skinned differently (gag weapons versus actual "cool-looking" ones), but have similarly good stats.

There's also a pack that gives you the unique and powerful versions of the DLC weapons, which are just obtained through the blacksmith.

Ah, thanks. That sounds alright but I don't think I can justify buying any more current PC DLC beyond the Old Costume packs. I don't suppose the unique or powerful weapons come with any of the challenge mode skills like EFFERVESCENCE? That would kinda be worth it just to be able to get those skills without ever touching that mode again. Looking forward to the new weapons though.

I hope the thing that lets you change mooks into knights and sentai baddies isn't getting rolled into some $24 pack.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Well, I used Cheat Engine to give myself 200,000 gold after having to start over from my hard drive failure. Cheat Engine seems pretty cool actually, just modifying values in memory. Reminded me of some of the stuff I did in my Comp Sci classes. I didn't know that cheating programs were so sophisticated these days. Seems like editing values directly in memory would be virtually undetectable by the videogame itself.

Anyway, while I didn't give myself levels for characters or unlock stages or whatever, at least I was able to give myself a pile of gold so I can buy better weapons from the blacksmith when I start stages. It'll at least make it a bit less tedious to continue the game.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ExMortis posted:

Ah, thanks. That sounds alright but I don't think I can justify buying any more current PC DLC beyond the Old Costume packs. I don't suppose the unique or powerful weapons come with any of the challenge mode skills like EFFERVESCENCE? That would kinda be worth it just to be able to get those skills without ever touching that mode again. Looking forward to the new weapons though.

I hope the thing that lets you change mooks into knights and sentai baddies isn't getting rolled into some $24 pack.

the rest of the dlc will likely come out on the 20th and these are the prices according to some guy
DW7 ORIGINAL COSTUME PACK 1 $4.99

DW7 ORIGINAL COSTUME PACK 2 $17.99

DW7 ORIGINAL COSTUME PACK 3 $17.99

ORIGINAL COSTUME PACK $21.99

WEAPON SYSTEM & UPGRADE PACK $13.99

WEAPON SYSTEM PACK $5.99

NEW STAGE & ANIMAL PACK $15.99

NEW STAGE & CAMP SYMBOL PACK $19.99

SOLDIER & OFFICER UNIFORM SET $4.99

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
... 18 dollars for a costume pack? Whaaaa

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Pureauthor posted:

It's like outfits for every character in each pack. They were sold in smaller sets in Japan.
http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Dynasty_Warriors_8/DLC

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Pureauthor posted:

Still better than Dead or Alive 5 at least. I think one costume by itself is 5 bucks.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Tae posted:

Still better than Dead or Alive 5 at least. I think one costume by itself is 5 bucks.

Gotta show dedication to your waifu

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

ExMortis posted:

Don't know what they'll do on PC, but on PS4 is was only a couple of bucks.

EDIT: Oh, wait, someone already posted the price above. :downs:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Davincie posted:

the rest of the dlc will likely come out on the 20th and these are the prices according to some guy
DW7 ORIGINAL COSTUME PACK 1 $4.99

DW7 ORIGINAL COSTUME PACK 2 $17.99

DW7 ORIGINAL COSTUME PACK 3 $17.99

ORIGINAL COSTUME PACK $21.99

WEAPON SYSTEM & UPGRADE PACK $13.99

WEAPON SYSTEM PACK $5.99

NEW STAGE & ANIMAL PACK $15.99

NEW STAGE & CAMP SYMBOL PACK $19.99

SOLDIER & OFFICER UNIFORM SET $4.99
...where's the Japanese language DLC?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's apparently extremely buggy on PS4 so Namco is probably still fixing issues with it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

it was listed earlier as coming with this batch so it's probably still coming and just not on that list i copied because it will be free or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

OneDeadman posted:

This has been more or less the same as all Dynasty Warrior Gundams.

Does that also have 'healing injured ally officers by running near them and pressing something'? That's what they've gone with, from what little I've seen-ally captains don't fully die and disappear(presuming they're not mission-critical), but they'll be a non-factor till you go to them and seemingly press something to heal them.