Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Subjunctive posted:

I am not an expert, but I recommend not turning on "harder" anything, leaving research off, and maybe disabling the slag pit. (You can use slag to make concrete from ash, which is its only redeeming feature. Otherwise it's really heavy clutter, though I guess you could decorate with it.)
Personally I'm making big use of slag + lye => 2 potash, since I'm making lots of clear glass for my fortress. I also modded in the gnomish slag => sand reaction for dwarves, so I'm less reliant on having a sand layer in my fortress. I've actually had a few times in my fortress when I ran out of slag and had to do more smelting just to make some.

quote:

You can make beds with stone blocks once you make the furniture workshop, in sets with door/cabinet/chest. Pretty handy when your expanding empire needs sleepytimes, and the furniture is worth more.
This can become extra useful when you combine it with ore processors churning out boatloads of blocks you don't really need as a byproduct of purifying your ores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plscks
Apr 3, 2011

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Bad Munki posted:

Sup beakdawgs, how do I get dfhack on my mac, has anyone wrapped it all up for me so I can be lazy?

The MacNewbie pack 0.9.6 has DFHack included, it works well for my needs.

Anyways, my current fort is one I started in 40.03 and have moved up through the releases to 40.08. I just became aware of the fact that 2 of the dwarves in my veteran all wrestling military squad are permanently stuck sleeping(or at least that's the job they have). They are both very drowsy, starving, and dehydrated. Removing the bed they are in just causes them to find another unassigned bed to sleep in. Anyone know how to fix this? I tried messing with the training schedule, uniforms, active/inactive, and some other settings. At least when they tantrum the are too busy refusing to do anything to hurt anyone. This could have interesting consequences!

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Bad Munki posted:

Sup beakdawgs, how do I get dfhack on my mac, has anyone wrapped it all up for me so I can be lazy?

The dfhack thread links to this build.
There's also a version included in the latest MacNewbie pack, but the thread says that this version might have a problem, so the author is recompiling it.

edit: the version included in MacNewbie 0.9.6 is the apparently buggy 0.40.08-r0, not the latest 0.40.08-r2.

scissorman fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 17, 2014

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Boo, the 40.x Windows starter pack doesn't seem to have TWBT in it. I guess I'll learn how to configure that stuff manually.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

scamtank posted:

You can't make dwarves not take the bins along, but you can make them not bother over long distances. Find these lines in d_init.txt:

[STORE_DIST_ITEM_DECREASE:20]
[STORE_DIST_SEED_COMBINE:1000]
[STORE_DIST_BUCKET_COMBINE:1000]
[STORE_DIST_BARREL_COMBINE:1000]
[STORE_DIST_BIN_COMBINE:1000]

...and cut them down to single digits. As it stands with the default crank-to-11 settings, dwarves will always drag the barrel/bin along, no matter how far the thing is.

What are people using for these? Will dwarves eventually compact stuff into fewer bins? If a stockpile is full of half-full bins then someone bringing a lone item will stick it in a bin, right?

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I just put everything down to 1, and use two stockpiles. One has no bins allowed, and that one gives to the stockpile that does allow bins. When there are enough things there, they grab a bin and pull from the other stockpile. It doesn't fix the problem entirely but it stops them from hauling the entire bin full of lead bars across the fortress to pick a single item up.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gus Hobbleton posted:

I just put everything down to 1, and use two stockpiles. One has no bins allowed, and that one gives to the stockpile that does allow bins. When there are enough things there, they grab a bin and pull from the other stockpile. It doesn't fix the problem entirely but it stops them from hauling the entire bin full of lead bars across the fortress to pick a single item up.

Cool, I can see that working out well with twinned stockpiles. Thanks.

Did "hotkeys" go away in dfhack for 40.08? It's not a recognized command any more, and I'm not sure how to list the current hotkeys in-game now.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!

plscks posted:

The MacNewbie pack 0.9.6 has DFHack included, it works well for my needs.

Anyways, my current fort is one I started in 40.03 and have moved up through the releases to 40.08. I just became aware of the fact that 2 of the dwarves in my veteran all wrestling military squad are permanently stuck sleeping(or at least that's the job they have). They are both very drowsy, starving, and dehydrated. Removing the bed they are in just causes them to find another unassigned bed to sleep in. Anyone know how to fix this? I tried messing with the training schedule, uniforms, active/inactive, and some other settings. At least when they tantrum the are too busy refusing to do anything to hurt anyone. This could have interesting consequences!

have you tried the siren command in dfhack, it'll wake every sleeper, break up parties, etc.

plscks
Apr 3, 2011

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Shuffle posted:

have you tried the siren command in dfhack, it'll wake every sleeper, break up parties, etc.

Yeah, I tried that one. Unfortunately in this build of dfhack that command doesn't work apparently. I might try the build that Subjunctive linked to though as it's more up to date.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So I'm going to finally get around to giving Masterwork a try later today and I was just wondering, two things.
1. Anything major I should know before going in, about changes or differences, that I won't be able to intuit before it impacts me negatively? Like anything I should really know?
2. I understand the game has Warpstone. Is this like Warhammer Warpstone, or just 'generic magical radioactive stone'? What I want to know is can I make Skaven Fortress, albeit with Dorfs instead of proper Ratmen.

1. I would recommend turning off the "Harder" everything options, as said. However, I tend to leave on "harder learning", which just makes it so it takes longer for all your dwarves to be legendary. It's nice. Gives them more of a omf then a given.

I also heavily recommend ticking off the slag pit! The way it works "all in" is that forge manufactories produce slag as a byproduct, which clutters up the place until you process it. Getting rid of the pit gets rid of all the slag, too. The only other thing I'd say is possibly Guild Halls. Guild Halls disable the caste system, which set Dwarves in vague job groups (Stone workers, Gem workers, Wood etc) letting them skill up faster, though I think it might reduce the speed of unrelated skills. Sounds okay? This effects all dwarves, including immigrants and your starting seven. I personally find it rather annoying and even if you have harder learning on you don't exactly gain much.

Beyond that, I'd recommend turning off Banshees and Hermit. Banshees are siege ghost dudes that have a significant chance to just straight up kill a guy, which is lame as hell. Hermit just removes the hermit "civilization" to prevent it from busying up the civ screen. Make sure you turn on fort-mode for everything.

2. Just vague radioactive stuff that gets your dwarves sick, sorry. No five armed miners.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

quote:

Made people not so eager to jump in on the side of their relatives and friends if the relative/friend is berserk/etc.
That sounds like it would be hilarious to see.

How did you miss the thing two lines down?

Devlog posted:

Made people not so eager to jump in on the side of their relatives and friends if the relative/friend is berserk/etc.

Fixed broken logic that made trade good hauling require both trade good hauling and lever operation labors

Made creatures prefer to flee normally if possible (rather than jumping off cliffs etc.)

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Wait, "will probably release this tomorrow"?

Thank goodness I haven't gotten that re-attached to DFHack yet.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Crimson Harvest posted:

This might be a big request but can anyone provide a brief overview of the things I can do with DFHack, as it stands now for 40.08? There seems to be tons of stuff and I don't even know what I'm doing. Way back when, I really only used it for prospect and digv, so beyond that I'm just swamped with things.

Excellent question... I'd like to see an answer myself. Perhaps we're all lost!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Oh hey mifki's true TWBT works with 40.08 now, Windows and OSX. Go hog wild!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

scamtank posted:

Oh hey mifki's true TWBT works with 40.08 now, Windows and OSX. Go hog wild!

So if I'm running the starter pack launcher, do I just drop these into the appropriate folders and run with it?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Depends on whether that starter pack is still using the busted DFHack r0 or not. If you've got version r2, sure. Whatever frontends you're using doesn't affect what's under the bonnet.

Not even Masterwork does things any different. Its raws are just formatted so the main menu can activate or comment out whatever's necessary.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Since I am honestly bothered with the fact that I sometimes embark without literally any ironore, I have no problem using changevein from now on.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

When I turn on "multilevel" and "mousequery track", using -r2 and the latest-as-of-yesterday TWBT, mouse selection fucks up and operates on wrong Z-levels and so forth. It's quite bizarre. Falconne suggested it might be an SDL problem on my machine (Windows 8), and given that I also see it with Masterwork V6 I guess that could be the case. I miss multilevel already. Anyone have thoughts on how to debug something like this?

Edit: also, does anyone have a recommended set of tiles/overrides for 40.08 and TWBT? I'm getting } for worms and such when using Phoebus, but I think it's just that the overrides are out of date.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 17, 2014

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I was trying to get into Masterwork last night to build a kobold fortress but as soon as I got down to the layer where I wanted my main fortress to be I realized I had no idea how I wanted to lay it out and then my aesthetics sperg kicked in and I couldn't go any further. I'm so used to having pretty looking dwarf fortresses I don't know how to do anything else.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

When I turn on "multilevel" and "mousequery track", using -r2 and the latest-as-of-yesterday TWBT, mouse selection fucks up and operates on wrong Z-levels and so forth. It's quite bizarre. Falconne suggested it might be an SDL problem on my machine (Windows 8), and given that I also see it with Masterwork V6 I guess that could be the case. I miss multilevel already. Anyone have thoughts on how to debug something like this?

Edit: also, does anyone have a recommended set of tiles/overrides for 40.08 and TWBT? I'm getting } for worms and such when using Phoebus, but I think it's just that the overrides are out of date.

There's something rotten with how SDL works right now. I can't fullscreen my game at all. It just minimizes instantly.

I can't say anything for competently done override sets, but I'm currently pretty partial to Victor 9000 10x16 for text and Taffer's doubled 20x20 for a neat square ASCII map.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My SDL thing was not using the right mousequery plugin for TWBT. All is well, except my daughter has commandeered my computer for Minecraft.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I never ever thought I'd say this, but I so hope there's a skilled spinner in my future. A normal ram puts out about 7 units of wool per shearing and every single one of those units is a separate thread-spinning job for a single bumble of thread.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Masterwork question: are kobolds just plain not finished yet or something? The manual lists a whole bunch of things that simply don't exist, and whose lack makes certain things impossible. I want to get clay production going so I can build rock-like things, but the kiln which is listed in the manual can't be built, so I can't collect clay. I could build a default clay oven, but that requires rock blocks, which kobolds can't get. Am I missing something here, or is this just not something you can do at all?

*EDIT*
Same question goes for traps. I can't build mechanisms without rocks. I assume I have to use clay for those? Can you even use clay boulders for mechanisms?

Gus Hobbleton fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 17, 2014

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Masterwork question: are kobolds just plain not finished yet or something? The manual lists a whole bunch of things that simply don't exist, and whose lack makes certain things impossible. I want to get clay production going so I can build rock-like things, but the kiln which is listed in the manual can't be built, so I can't collect clay. I could build a default clay oven, but that requires rock blocks, which kobolds can't get. Am I missing something here, or is this just not something you can do at all?

*EDIT*
Same question goes for traps. I can't build mechanisms without rocks. I assume I have to use clay for those? Can you even use clay boulders for mechanisms?

Bone blocks are fire safe. Everything else can be built out of wood. You should embark with an anvil tough, because otherwise you'll have to trade for one.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Ahhh, I didn't know bone blocks were in Masterwork. Thanks!

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

you can also use the Bone Workshop to make bone mechanisms

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Oh, hey, more science.

• Quick attacks hit with only half force. Heavy and wild attacks hit with 1.5x force. Precision attacks only affect accuracy.
  • Extremely high skill doesn't really increase the amount of damage per se, but just tilts the table so the rolls consistently hit the upper limit. The upper bounds are your weapon's material strength and your own personal bulk.
  • The new head doesn't have any kind of secret force shielding. It's all to do with the bigger skull.
  • Hitting prone dudes does double damage!

Also, a new version that nobody will touch for a while!!!

Toady One re: v40.09 posted:

The cleaning continues with this release!

Some notes on poles: For no-pole, you'll need to handle glacier and tundra biomes in one way or another (wider temperature range, remove region requirements, etc.). For instance, to make a valid no-pole large island, all I needed to do was widen the temperature max/min from 75/25 to 110/-10. This made a few glaciers and tundras scattered around the world, and it also allowed a few tropical biomes to appear. For no-pole, base temperatures of at least 85 make an environment tropical (worlds with poles continue to use latitude), though 75 works for certain biomes. You should be able to input your own temperatures in the txt parameters now without the game applying a polar shift. No-pole worlds do not yet experience any seasonal temperature variations, and worlds with two poles still have seasons at the same time of year on either side of the equator until that can be made less confusing.

Major bug fixes
  • Fixed problem causing domestic underground animals to be placed beyond their number (and then replaced at that new number)
  • Made people not so eager to jump in on the side of their relatives and friends if the relative/friend is berserk/etc.
  • Made creatures prefer to flee normally if possible (rather than jumping off cliffs etc.)
  • Stopped liquid flows in confined spaces from sometimes making items disappear
  • Made items that froze in ice reappear properly when ice melts
  • Allowed dwarves interested in marriage to start relationships properly (Quietust)
  • Removed some vestigial code stopping wagons from moving properly after move/attack speed split
  • Fixed a wagon AI error that caused them to fail to unload sometimes
  • Gave wagons the ability to go past each other in certain instances
  • Made invaders not come back as ghosts
  • Stopped non-historical dwarves from coming back as ghosts (put in fix for old saves that should lay them to rest soon after unpause)
  • Stopped ghosts from being considered in regular sight code
  • Fixed the defend burrow order
  • Allowed items made from gem materials (including large gems) to be stored in finished goods pile
  • Fixed broken logic that made trade good hauling require both trade good hauling and lever operation labors

Other bug fixes/tweaks
  • Fixed up quarry bush bag job vs. rock nuts
  • Added appropriate announcements for some additional circumstances under which a fort dwarf could assume a civ-level position
  • Added embark warning if civ is dead
  • Added optional confirmation window after preparing embark (default: pops up if points remain)
  • Printed job after name when following unit
  • Marked dwarves as "New Arrival" on unit/job screen instead of "No Job" while they are new
  • Added pole-setting parameters for world gen, allowed north+south pole and no-pole options
  • Fixed an error causing nearby site maps to be offloaded too often
  • Made hill dwarf sites put animals in pastures properly
  • Made animals not placed in pasture/waste/yard get placed even if their preferred type isn't available
  • Fixed some manual typos (Gorobay)
  • Initialized strict pop cap to 220 if not present in d_init
  • Made alerts without names show properly as "Alert State #" in squad mode
  • Finished updating pineapple raws
  • Made several export filenames use the format (region)-YYYYY-MM-DD-(etc)
  • Added error for unrecognized CREATURE in entity raw

scamtank fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 17, 2014

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
So I'm very new to actually playing DF. How is it that my carpenter has no job-

-when all of this is queued up(and carpentry is turned on, of course)?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
1. make sure he has the labor set
2. make sure he can actually reach the workshop

If you think you've done both and its still not doing anything, check again. I don't recall any other potential cause.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

So does the new release mean that you can actually use Quarry Bushes now? I swear, processing them was leaving behind no rock nuts and I'd just plain run out. The only other possibility was that they were getting cooked, but I kinda doubt that as seeds are turned off from cooking by default.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Tiler Kiwi posted:

1. make sure he has the labor set
2. make sure he can actually reach the workshop

If you think you've done both and its still not doing anything, check again. I don't recall any other potential cause.

Not that it applies in this case but the workshop could be set to only allow carpenters above his skill level.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Make sure you haven't forbidden or otherwise limited access to the workshop, too, if you've been fiddling with things.

You might also be out of wood, or wood might not be accessible?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

AXE COP posted:

Not that it applies in this case but the workshop could be set to only allow carpenters above his skill level.

Man, you can do that now? Sheesh, I haven't really sat down and played out a fortress in a long time.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

So does the new release mean that you can actually use Quarry Bushes now? I swear, processing them was leaving behind no rock nuts and I'd just plain run out. The only other possibility was that they were getting cooked, but I kinda doubt that as seeds are turned off from cooking by default.

Yeah, he just forgot to make the reaction produce seeds. I posted a way to fix that ages ago.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Man, you can do that now? Sheesh, I haven't really sat down and played out a fortress in a long time.

yeah it's really nice; in my bigger forts where I build stuff outside, I usually have block-carving Masonry workshops available for everyone, and a workshop restricted to Adept or whatever the highwater mark for Masonry is in my fort

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

GlyphGryph posted:

Make sure you haven't forbidden or otherwise limited access to the workshop, too, if you've been fiddling with things.

You might also be out of wood, or wood might not be accessible?
I had been a bit but it's okay, after like 30 seconds of just standing around staring into space he eventually got to work on it.(???)
Also quickly realizing that I don't need anywhere near as much farmspace as I'd assumed I would, I should probably not be too ambitious considering that this is literally my first fort ever.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Been in since at least 2010, probably earlier.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Seriously? I've just never messed with it then, I guess. Never really cared about the quality of stuff or micromanagement much, as opposed to just having around a dozen workshops and two dozen laborers on any task I feel like doing.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

IronicDongz posted:

So I'm very new to actually playing DF. How is it that my carpenter has no job-

-when all of this is queued up(and carpentry is turned on, of course)?

Check the workshop profile (q menu, capital P) and make sure that you haven't somehow restricted access to the workshop to someone of super high skill level. (EDIT: you don't have a managed so this won't have happened, but keep it in mind for future reference if it happens again)

Check the materials the shop has been built with (t menu) and make sure the stuff the workshop has been [B]uilt with isnt scheduled to be [D]umped for {forbidden}. If it is, you can highlight it and use d or f to undo them.

Make sure that a door leading to the workshop hasn't been locked (again, with the q menu)

Check to make sure your carpenter has carpentry enabled in his labor preferences (v menu, highlight the dwarf, p, then l)

Those are the big ones I can think of off the top of my head. If all of those check out, try dismantling the workshop and rebuilding it.

In other news, I generated the Reddit World

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
is there a reason I'm still getting mass migrations of dwarven children even though my [BABY_CHILD_CAP] is set to 5:5? Of my total 92 dwarves atm 35 are children.

I'm using the 40.08 r3 starter pack