Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Did the PC servers just poo poo themselves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Does a kubrow poo poo in the woods?

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I wish people had told me earlier that me hosting is a laggy, unfun experience. I assume it's my garbage DSL connection and will make a point not to host anymore.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I like when one person just hangs loading the mission and I end up Alt F4ing because I ain't got time for all that mess.

I check the file validation in steam and 51 files are now corrupt, but it probably doesn't just download the 51 files, it wants a 4.6gb chunk each time.
There goes my SSD Read/Write cycle life. Thanks Obama.

Anyone interested in Mumble action on weekends, or after 5pm on weekdays EST friend add; scratchula (on PC)
It's not that I want to exchange strategy or re-enact some sort of space ninja military fantasy. It's just probably more interesting than killing red dots on the way to a green arrow as fast as possible.

Finally filling up my weapon slots and almost running out of stuff to do...
58 hours in, but there is always something to do isn't there, just maybe not 3 people to do it with you.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

galahan posted:

I check the file validation in steam and 51 files are now corrupt, but it probably doesn't just download the 51 files, it wants a 4.6gb chunk each time.
If a game has its own updater (like Warframe does), then Steam file validation is a real dumb thing to do as Steam's version is rarely the most up-to-date copy. The launcher has a file validation tool of its own, use that instead.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

galahan posted:

I understand where the myth came from, but the reality is that SSDs are a lot more durable than we give them credit for. Sure, there's a rating that dictates how long a drive will last, but:

a) NAND tech has gotten better since the days of SLC NAND,
2) the engineers that write those numbers do so conservatively,
iii) have you ever actually considered what it would take to max out your drive's lifespan?

If we consider drives from Samsung, Intel, and Micron to be the creme de la creme, taking even a second-tier drive, like a Kingston HyperX, is rated to last for 765TB of writes. If we further consider that the average storage disk lasts about five years, because the interface changes to accommodate for faster performance (SATA III is maxed out, we're going to M.2/PCIe now) you'd need to write 765,000GB / (5 years * 365 days) = 419.17 GB of data, every day, for five years straight.

EDIT: Cocked up the math, you'd need to fill up your entire SSD at least once a day, delete it, then start over, every day for 5 years straight, under a normal workload. That's loving impossible.

Unless you're in a datacenter, or torture-testing drives for lifespan by writing a petabyte of data to see how drives behave at the end of their lifespans, like TechReport's SSD Endurance experiment, you're not hitting that number anytime ever. Indeed, the aforementioned drive, which they have tested, has successfully survived to a Petabyte of writes, thanks to the onboard Sandforce controller's compression tech. (the one that was fed uncompressable data, predictably, died earlier.)

So, I'm sorry for wildly breaking off to a tangent, but this is a myth I feel should probably die. :science: :spergin:

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 17, 2014

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah, the patcher that comes up before the game launches has some options. Hit the gear icon in the top right.

Thanks.

Did it, still crashing. Very annoying.

Seems to happen (mostly?) when I've got a button held down and am aiming. Oh, well. I guess I'll just wait a few patches and see if it gets better.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

Kyte posted:

You should switch to the Lex or Sicarus Prime since those have a gold-on-white scheme that goes with Wyrm, Loki, Bo and Boltor Prime.
The gold-on-black Bronco is for Frost, Ember or Rhino Prime. :eng101:

:v:
The problem with the Lex Prime is that its model clips inside Lokis model way too much. The problem with the Sicarus Prime is that its the Sicarus Prime. Also neither is Ak and ruins the aesthetic.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
So I've got this 50 Plat from being a new player still, and I'm looking to spend it. I know that potatoes are a good use of the money, (or warframe slots), but I unfortunately care a little about cosmetics because drat it I have to be a pretty space ninja princess ok?

Since obviously I can't use this 50 Plat to jump into flipping items on the market because that would ruin the economy, is there anything I could put this towards as a sort of investment?

Since that's unlikely, is there anywhere as a new player I could get started on this? From watching the Trading channel it looks like the highest demand is Prime blueprints, which I'm probably not going to easily get in Sedna huh. I saw someone advertising a max-rank Serration. Would it be worth starting on maxing a second of mods like that after my first one instead of using those mods to fuse into other things?

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

a cat on an apple posted:

So I've got this 50 Plat from being a new player still, and I'm looking to spend it. I know that potatoes are a good use of the money, (or warframe slots), but I unfortunately care a little about cosmetics because drat it I have to be a pretty space ninja princess ok?

Since obviously I can't use this 50 Plat to jump into flipping items on the market because that would ruin the economy, is there anything I could put this towards as a sort of investment?

Since that's unlikely, is there anywhere as a new player I could get started on this? From watching the Trading channel it looks like the highest demand is Prime blueprints, which I'm probably not going to easily get in Sedna huh. I saw someone advertising a max-rank Serration. Would it be worth starting on maxing a second of mods like that after my first one instead of using those mods to fuse into other things?

That's a cute idea, but you have no idea how much it takes in credits and fusion cores to max out Serration. Your best bet for getting plat is to lurk in Clan chat and go with people doing Tower runs. Aside from T4 and maybe T3 most goons won't give a poo poo if you're useless as long as you don't complain and do what you're told. Hell, if you see me on just drop me a message. I've got fifty some T2s I'll be happy to run with you and some other goons (need more parts to get more Plat for myself, frankly).

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
If you want to be CAPTAIN OF INDUSTRY, just buy whatever the hell there was an alert for an hour earlier in the day and understand the prices for it (wftrading.net is a good starting point.) Anything terribly complicated will end up in disaster, especially since you're new.

Past that, just hoard everything you don't use. This isn't the pokemon trading card game; mom isn't going to bitch at you for having thousands of mod cards shoved in your space closet

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

a cat on an apple posted:

So I've got this 50 Plat from being a new player still, and I'm looking to spend it.

From watching the Trading channel it looks like the highest demand is Prime blueprints
Unless you're planning on constantly deleting weapons and warframes, you'll want that plat for slots. You are right that Prime blueprints sell easiest (depending on how hard they are to get) and if goons will run you through some towers you might end up with some. Your trades per day depend on your mastery rank though and your mastery rank depends on how many weapons and warframes you leveled up, which in turn use slots...

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You can't spend your 50 starter Plat on Trading, it's to prevent people using money mules.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I understand where the myth came from, but the reality is that SSDs are a lot more durable than we give them credit for. Sure, there's a rating that dictates how long a drive will last, but:

a) NAND tech has gotten better since the days of SLC NAND,
2) the engineers that write those numbers do so conservatively,
iii) have you ever actually considered what it would take to max out your drive's lifespan?

If we consider drives from Samsung, Intel, and Micron to be the creme de la creme, taking even a second-tier drive, like a Kingston HyperX, is rated to last for 765TB of writes. If we further consider that the average storage disk lasts about five years, because the interface changes to accommodate for faster performance (SATA III is maxed out, we're going to M.2/PCIe now) you'd need to write 765 / (5*365)= 41.917 GB of data, every day, for five years straight.

Unless you're in a datacenter, or torture-testing drives for lifespan by writing a petabyte of data to see how drives behave at the end of their lifespans, like TechReport's SSD Endurance experiment. Indeed, the aforementioned drive, which they have tested, has successfully survived to a Petabyte of writes, thanks to the onboard Sandforce controller's compression tech. (the one that was fed uncompressable data, predictably, died earlier.)

So, I'm sorry for wildly breaking off to a tangent, but this is a myth I feel should probably die. :science: :spergin:

Actually, I was going to make this very same post, but my google-fu was failing me and I didn't want to expend the effort to research it. So for that, thank you! It's basically only a worry if you have a Gen1 or Gen2 SSD right now, still chugging along.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

DelphiAegis posted:

Actually, I was going to make this very same post, but my google-fu was failing me and I didn't want to expend the effort to research it. So for that, thank you! It's basically only a worry if you have a Gen1 or Gen2 SSD right now, still chugging along.

Actually, I cocked up the math.

That decimal place needs to be one more place over. 765,000GB / (5 years * 365 days) = 419.17 GB/day.

*small infuriated scream* AND I just saw the incomplete sentence in my last post. x.x;;;

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

lewtt posted:

no lato prime, no problems

are you as cool as this dude?

What the poo poo? I was supposed to have been given some terrible bandana? I never received an email about this horrible garbage! I am so angry!

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

WeaponBoy posted:

What the poo poo? I was supposed to have been given some terrible bandana? I never received an email about this horrible garbage! I am so angry!
I received the email but they never sent me the bandana. Let's be angry about our lack of embarrassing headgear together.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I got mine collecting dust in a drawer, it's pretty goony.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Pretty sure that I threw mine out. What the gently caress was I supposed to use it for? Never getting laid?

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Yo so what secondary do I want for completing my Vauban dead space cosplay? I have the Penta (potatoed for MAXIMUM EXPLOSIONS) But I need a secondary. Nothing seems to match up to the pistol you get in dad space :smith:

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
Looking through the wiki, I'd say either the Spectra or the Viper.

Arleneth
Apr 28, 2010
Alright, some questions from a stupid newbie.

First, these void keys. I know they are a limited resource, so what can I get from running these missions? Is it only Prime related equipment?

Second, where exactly do I find these Orokin Ciphers for the Mirage Warframe?

Third, can I make something in the Foundry if I have no free slots, and just let it sit there until I have some free slots?

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Arleneth posted:

Alright, some questions from a stupid newbie.

First, these void keys. I know they are a limited resource, so what can I get from running these missions? Is it only Prime related equipment?

Second, where exactly do I find these Orokin Ciphers for the Mirage Warframe?

Third, can I make something in the Foundry if I have no free slots, and just let it sit there until I have some free slots?

1: You get all sorts of fancy things from the Void! Mods that only drop there, Prime components as you say, Argon Crystals, lots of Orokin Cells from drops. Void's a cool place to be.

2: Vault runs on Orokin Derelict missions. You need to bring Dragon Keys on an Orokin Derelict mission (not survival or defense) to open the gate and get it. Usually teams are specifically saying they're gonna do the Vault, and put a different key on each person.

3: Indeed you can!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
When did they remove the "Hide maxed mods" button, and why???

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

hooah posted:

When did they remove the "Hide maxed mods" button, and why???

My guess is :de: tier build management.

Arleneth
Apr 28, 2010

kafziel posted:

1: You get all sorts of fancy things from the Void! Mods that only drop there, Prime components as you say, Argon Crystals, lots of Orokin Cells from drops. Void's a cool place to be.

2: Vault runs on Orokin Derelict missions. You need to bring Dragon Keys on an Orokin Derelict mission (not survival or defense) to open the gate and get it. Usually teams are specifically saying they're gonna do the Vault, and put a different key on each person.

3: Indeed you can!

Thanks for the info!

For the Orokin Derelict vault runs, what kind of kit should I run with, in terms of equipment and modifications?

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Arleneth posted:

Thanks for the info!

For the Orokin Derelict vault runs, what kind of kit should I run with, in terms of equipment and modifications?

I usually run a frame that counters the debuff imposed by whatever key I'm running. This most often means Arcane Vanguard helmed Rhino(/Prime) since fast and nigh-invulnerable is the order of the day for ODE runs (Valkyr and Zephyr can also fill those criteria), but anything that gets you to the vault works. Weapons are usually one serviceable gun (I don't look beyond DPSframe in qualifying "serviceable," but you want higher burst or per-shot damage if your frame is on the squishier end) and two that need passive leveling.

Vault runs are, what, L20-30 enemies? Keep your distance, prioritize heavies, minimize getting hit and you'll be fine.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
Space Princess Prime?
:wink:

I thought I had created one of the dumbest things I had seen in warframe then this happens next mission

lewtt fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Aug 18, 2014

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

How do you see your allies' health/shields?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
What the hell is a Kubrow and is it at all worth the effort of getting and using one

Also this Conclave stuff is new to me. Is it worth doing and if so any tips on not getting butchered

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

vOv posted:

you have to aim at them. it's a pain and I wish that you could have that information on the HUD.

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

The Light is the power of Dance

vOv posted:

There's an option to keep that on, otherwise you don't see them easily on the PS4 or have to press z on the PC version.

Why is it off by default? Because :de: that's why.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

vOv posted:

There's an option to show it by default in one of the menus, and you can also toggle it in-mission with Z.

Captain Oblivious posted:

What the hell is a Kubrow and is it at all worth the effort of getting and using one
Space dog. If you're playing the game frequently and don't have any problems dropping 100k credits on upkeep every week or two, then sure. If you've just started playing and are still working on getting decent weapons/mods, then don't worry about it yet.

Also this Conclave stuff is new to me. Is it worth doing and if so any tips on not getting butchered
Totally, 100% pointless.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

It's a dog. No.

There's a longer answer but it's still mostly epeen judging by the wiki article. You should probably just read that: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Kubrow

The comparison poo poo is near the bottom.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
If there's one thing Kubrow are good for, it's getting platinum hand-over-fist when you get a rare one. People pay out the rear end for imprints of cool Kubrow.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Azzanadra posted:

There's an option to keep that on, otherwise you don't see them easily on the PS4 or have to press z on the PC version.

Why is it off by default? Because :de: that's why.

god dammit really? :doh: I guess I should have looked through the options more

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

tlarn posted:

If there's one thing Kubrow are good for, it's getting platinum hand-over-fist when you get a rare one. People pay out the rear end for imprints of cool Kubrow.

I can afford the upkeep and have decent enough gear so this might be worth fooling around with after all. But speaking of this post in particular, what constitutes a money maker Kubrow?

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012
The shield dog is really good if your doing melee. Your melee heals him with one of the mods and he fills both your shields.

Oh and kogake + kestrel is Lol. Slide into one guy and knock him into space and then boomerang a ancient to the other side of the map.

Make sure you have the sparing stance for breakdancing.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)
I'm one who always complained about kubrows' upkeep cost but last night I probably spent 4 hours at a Dark Sector Conflict because one side is offering 50k payment with some 40 million credits reserve. I think I got like, 900k out of them so I'm pretty chill in the credits department for now. Too bad my kubrow is the digger. I like him fine but I once saw the giant beardog so I want that instead.

Also, gently caress Sechura. Ceres-Seimeni is the hottest credit grinding spot right now with the added bonus it also drops orokin cells. Lords of the East, the owner of the rail, is good enough to only set the tax at 9%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

wid posted:

I'm one who always complained about kubrows' upkeep cost but last night I probably spent 4 hours at a Dark Sector Conflict because one side is offering 50k payment with some 40 million credits reserve. I think I got like, 900k out of them so I'm pretty chill in the credits department for now. Too bad my kubrow is the digger. I like him fine but I once saw the giant beardog so I want that instead.

Also, gently caress Sechura. Ceres-Seimeni is the hottest credit grinding spot right now with the added bonus it also drops orokin cells. Lords of the East, the owner of the rail, is good enough to only set the tax at 9%.

Body type is independent of dog type.