Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
If you're enjoying the gameplay, yeah just go ahead and skip all the cutscenes and slog on through. Although post-game is a bitch an a half if you're playing on the 360 version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Heck no it isn't. Standard SO3 rules apply here - use Reimi and fill the loving screen (and bonus bar) with arrows.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Stelas posted:

Heck no it isn't. Standard SO3 rules apply here - use Reimi and fill the loving screen (and bonus bar) with arrows.

Or Meracle - Drill Claw > X-Spike, repeat

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

kirbysuperstar posted:

Or Meracle - Drill Claw > X-Spike, repeat

But Meracle is creepy as poo poo.

You could say this about half of that games cast, actually.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

But Meracle is creepy as poo poo.

You could say this about half of that games cast, actually.

Even that is pretty generous.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I miss Ashton :(

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

oriongates posted:

Any good suggestions on RPGs that would appeal to fans of the Shadow Hearts series?

Well, there's the Grandia series if you like thinking about turn orders, setting up combos, and that kind of thing. There's no active timing mechanism, though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
^ Never played 'em myself, but I've been told that Arc the Lad is like Grandia with timed attacks.

Captain Walker posted:

I miss Ashton :(
Ashton is no exception and he's literally a guy in his twenties tryna get with a sixteen-year-old girl, but it's that whole "era before fully voice acted games" thing saving you from him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

^ Never played 'em myself, but I've been told that Arc the Lad is like Grandia with timed attacks.

Not even close. Arc the Lad is SRPG through and through.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Well, there's the Grandia series if you like thinking about turn orders, setting up combos, and that kind of thing. There's no active timing mechanism, though.

The first Grandia game is really good. The second one is pretty good. The third one is kind of poo poo.

VVVV---I really like Grandia 1's story. It's anime, but the kind of anime that was charming and fun and not obnoxious and irritating.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 18, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I actually liked the third one a fair amount. They all have terrible stories so the games have to ride on the back of their gameplay and I thought Grandia 3 made better use of their battle system by providing more interesting fights.

edit: Unless by third one you mean Xtreme, which was poo poo. There was a Grandia 3 after Xtreme and it's alright. I was perhaps overdoing it by saying the stories are terrible, but they are utterly unremarkable. 3's dialog is extremely hokey.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 18, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grandia 3 would have been a much better game if it followed the protagonist's mother and her boytoy.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
Grandia 3 has a dumb story, but from what I remember, it was entertaining in how dumb it got, and it's the only actual game in the series that has any actual teeth to it's combat, despite having an ability to keep the party on life support for a short period of time.

Xtreme was just bad all around, and the only "enjoyable" part of it was the hilariously bad voice acting job they did for it.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently there's a new Risen game out of loving nowhere? Is it any good?

e: Eh, reviews seem pretty middling. Oh well, time to go back to pretending Risen doesn't exist!

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 18, 2014

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Robo Reagan posted:

Apparently there's a new Risen game out of loving nowhere? Is it any good?

e: Eh, reviews seem pretty middling. Oh well, time to go back to pretending Risen doesn't exist!

Trusting reviews on a series such as Risen is incredibly foolish. It's better than Risen 2 and PROBABLY better than Risen 1, depending on taste. I'd rank it together with Gothic 2 as the apex of the series. However, if you didn't like any of PB's games, this one won't change your mind about it.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe I'll give it a shot then, once it goes on sale. Semester starts in a few days though so I don't want to drop $60 on something I can't take a decent crack at for months.

Also hey since this is the RPG thread, opinions on FFXII IZJS? I have the regular version of 12 but a friend will sell me IZJS for a few bucks. Is it worth it? I liked 12, but getting locked in to classes before you can give them a test drive is lame.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Robo Reagan posted:

Maybe I'll give it a shot then, once it goes on sale. Semester starts in a few days though so I don't want to drop $60 on something I can't take a decent crack at for months.

Also hey since this is the RPG thread, opinions on FFXII IZJS? I have the regular version of 12 but a friend will sell me IZJS for a few bucks. Is it worth it? I liked 12, but getting locked in to classes before you can give them a test drive is lame.

IZJS is far better than the original, but... I assume you can read Japanese? (I think there is a translation patch.)

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, no I can't. I guess he did some loving around with his PS2 or emulated it because I figured it had an option for English. :v: Bit odd to call it an International version if it's only in Japanese.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Robo Reagan posted:

Oh, no I can't. I guess he did some loving around with his PS2 or emulated it because I figured it had an option for English. :v: Bit odd to call it an International version if it's only in Japanese.

Yeah, there is a patch that translates most, if not all, of the text.
Last I checked, you can find it here.

http://psx-scene.com/forums/f164/ff12-international-zodiac-job-system-english-conversion-62222/

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Robo Reagan posted:

Bit odd to call it an International version if it's only in Japanese.

square-enix.txt

Actually I think they've been doing this since FFX. KH1 had an international version too iirc.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RadicalR posted:

Yeah, there is a patch that translates most, if not all, of the text.
Last I checked, you can find it here.

http://psx-scene.com/forums/f164/ff12-international-zodiac-job-system-english-conversion-62222/

Ah, are emus legal if you have a PS2? I've got one sitting in the living room but modding a PS2 is :effort: and I'd rather not break the law over an 8 year old game.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Robo Reagan posted:

Ah, are emus legal if you have a PS2? I've got one sitting in the living room but modding a PS2 is :effort: and I'd rather not break the law over an 8 year old game.

This is adorable.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Well, if no one did it the LP forum would be a lot smaller.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Robo Reagan posted:

Generally they call it that because it's a Japanese rerelease of the game with all of the additional content and bugfixes that were applied between the original Japanese release and the overseas releases (FF7 International was a direct port of the US release, and X international was the EU release).

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dross posted:

Generally they call it that because it's a Japanese rerelease of the game with all of the additional content and bugfixes that were applied between the original Japanese release and the overseas releases (FF7 International was a direct port of the US release, and X international was the EU release).

Huh, that kind of makes sense I guess. SE is a really fuckin' weird company. How are their games so good?

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Robo Reagan posted:

How are their games so good?

How long has it been since this was really true?

That said, a reminder that SNK called the cops on Squeenix not two weeks ago.
http://kotaku.com/square-enix-in-trouble-with-snk-and-the-cops-1616800740

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Robo Reagan posted:

Emulators are legal regardless of console ownership. PCSX2 requires a bios, however. If you own a PS2, you can go through a very complicated procedure to dump the bios yourself, or you can just download it. The bios is copyrighted code and it's illegal to download regardless if you own a PS2 due to how archaic and stupid the DMCA is (you can make your own software backups but not obtain an identical backup from elsewhere regardless of whether or not you own the software legally), or you can just use google and take the fricking shortcut. Literally no one has been arrested or fined for using an emulator ever.

There's a PCSX2 thread here if you want more information on the emulator or want to ask some questions: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3255267

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

That's dumb as hell on SNK's part. I guess Capcom didn't mind all of the references to Street Fighter 2 because, you know, it's obviously not detrimental to their business.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Emulators are legal regardless of console ownership. PCSX2 requires a bios, however. If you own a PS2, you can go through a very complicated procedure to dump the bios yourself, or you can just download it. The bios is copyrighted code and it's illegal to download regardless if you own a PS2 due to how archaic and stupid the DMCA is (you can make your own software backups but not obtain an identical backup from elsewhere regardless of whether or not you own the software legally), or you can just use google and take the fricking shortcut. Literally no one has been arrested or fined for using an emulator ever.

There's a PCSX2 thread here if you want more information on the emulator or want to ask some questions: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3255267

PS2 bios isn't hard to dump so long as you've softmodded your system. The PCSX2 guys even distribute a tool that dumps it to USB mass storage with little interaction required.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well, softmodding a PS2 still involves building a custom save file containing freemcboot and importing it using a ps2 software like action replay. I was exaggerating a little but it's still a pain, especially if you don't plan on using your softmodded PS2 for anything else. edit: Not to mention he already expressed apathy towards modding.

Now I'm reminded of the HDLoader days. Man, those were good times. All those plebs slow loading their games from DVDs while my Okami load times were so fast I couldn't ever complete any of the minigames. :cool:

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 18, 2014

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

straight jerkers posted:

That's dumb as hell on SNK's part. I guess Capcom didn't mind all of the references to Street Fighter 2 because, you know, it's obviously not detrimental to their business.
Apparently the end result of this was continued publication of the series, but all physical and digital stuff was recalled/stopped being sold "willingly" be SE so they didn't end up going to court over it.
And something about this is weird because all the other featured companies were confirmed to be contacted and had their explicit approval granted, so it seems odd to single out SNK.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

straight jerkers posted:

It's entirely possible that they had Capcom's consent but not SNK's consent.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's entirely possible that they had Capcom's consent but not SNK's consent.
They may have legitimately not known SNK was still in business.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SNK seems like the slimiest company to work with in Japan. Late last year they announced they were terminating the contract with Tommo over the Neo Geo X and that Tommo needed to recall everything at once. Tommo said they had the rights until 2016 and had no idea why SNK made the disparaging announcement out of the blue. SNK also created an artificially inflated market in the 90s with their serial number tracking and blacklisting resellers. Hell, given their track record, maybe the Neo Geo X threats were to create an artificial paranoia and get people to buy the console before it was "pulled off the shelves."

I can't think of another company that hasn't been relevant since the 90s but still swings their dick around.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

theblackw0lf posted:

Just finished Lunar: Silver Star Story.

How did you play it? I mean, which version, which system - emulated or original hardware? This is one I want to try.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

BadAstronaut posted:

How did you play it? I mean, which version, which system - emulated or original hardware? This is one I want to try.

Silver Star Story [Complete] specifically refers to PSX. Sega CD is called The Silver Star, GBA is Lunar Legend, PSP is Silver Star Harmony.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

BadAstronaut posted:

Actually I played the iphone version, which is essentially the same as the PSX version, but with the music from the PSP (and I think the voices as well, though I just used the japanese voices instead).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Someone recently brought up a topic in a random thread of gameplay keeping crappy stories afloat being much more common than good stories keeping weak gameplay afloat. I also believed the former is much more true than the later, but I can't see how anyone can disagree with this.

Anyway my question is: how many games can you think of the later category?

All the Xeno games. Well the ones I've played, so can't say anythinga bout Blade. But Xenogears and Xenosaga 1 and 3 both have pretty generic at best gameplay. You play through them for the story and charactes and music. XSIII was nice enough to have a few good dungeons for once too.

The battle system in Gears and Episode 1 wasn't bad really...just kinda got old after a while. Especially Gear combat. I wish there had been a proper on-foot final boss.

Forest Thief Pud posted:

If you're enjoying the gameplay, yeah just go ahead and skip all the cutscenes and slog on through. Although post-game is a bitch an a half if you're playing on the 360 version.

Never played the original but most fans of International (the one I own) say it's much harder on account of nerfing Reimi and some of the Synth tricks. Not super hard or anything but not as easy as the 360 version.

SO4 is a fun game. People just take it too seriously.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, SO4 is straight-up skeezy. It isn't as straight-up gross as Anime Pantie Explosion Simulator 2014 or whatever but it just feels so skeezy from start to finish.