Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Majorian posted:

I'm combing through it myself, and I'm enjoying it, but not as much as I feel I should be. I've just started season 2, though, and the whole thing with The Greek seems pretty rad.

Season 2 is interesting for giving you a wider view of the city and introducing new characters, but three is when it really starts firing on all cylinders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

also here's that wire scene everyone posts when people ask why it's good. for those who've seen the show, one guess which scene

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Austria isn't Northern Europe.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Also confession, the reason I'm talking up the West Wing right now is because I've also been on-and-off rewatching it the last couple of weeks and I just got to the episode where the two presidential candidates decide on live television that they're both so sick of modern presidential debates that they're going to have it out Lincoln-Douglas style and it's so fantastically unbelievable it's kinda hard to watch

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

Also confession, the reason I'm talking up the West Wing right now is because I've also been on-and-off rewatching it the last couple of weeks and I just got to the episode where the two presidential candidates decide on live television that they're both so sick of modern presidential debates that they're going to have it out Lincoln-Douglas style and it's so fantastically unbelievable it's kinda hard to watch

So they're :newt:? :v:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Randler posted:

Austria isn't Northern Europe.
How are we defining all the cooler countries that work like clockwork and have weird sex issues from all the sunny countries where people sleep in the middle of the day now? Western Europe won't cut it, too much crossover.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I blame boomers for getting politically conservative in the late '70's/early 80's. I genuinely believe that Reagan couldn't have won without the boomers voting for him. And that so much of the mess we're in can be traced back to the Reagan years.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

R. Mute posted:

also here's that wire scene everyone posts when people ask why it's good. for those who've seen the show, one guess which scene
I was hoping it was the scene of Omar on the stand, but you let me down.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Wolfsheim posted:

Not going to lie, that is one of my favorite episodes of the whole last season, despite the premise being, as you point out, fantastically unbelievable.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

ReindeerF posted:

How are we defining all the cooler countries that work like clockwork and have weird sex issues from all the sunny countries where people sleep in the middle of the day now? Western Europe won't cut it, too much crossover.

Professionally, I'd go with Central Europe, but personally I consider Austria to be one of those mean "Southern" countries.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Internet Webguy posted:

Season 2 is interesting for giving you a wider view of the city and introducing new characters, but three is when it really starts firing on all cylinders.

The Greek reminds me of Karla from John Le Carre's work ("Tinker Tailor," etc), so it's got my attention.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

R. Mute posted:

This isn't the chess scene, how could you not link the chess scene. :saddowns: Also, you should probably add a NWS tag to that.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

ReindeerF posted:

Locking your children in a sex dungeon and fathering kids with them while you take creepy vacations to Southeast Asia is a uniquely Northern European deal. America's fruitcake sexual predators of this variety can't afford international vacations because there's no welfare state, so it always ends up being toothless hillbillies kidnapping other people's kids or something.
austria isn't northern europe though?

the creepy sex vacations happen, though, and it's weird as gently caress. there was a docu-show here during the '90s in which paul jambers went to all the creepy corners of belgian society - eccentric people, very sensationalised. one of his most famous episodes was about farmer joel. joel's a fat, old farmer who lives in west flanders with his son mark. back during the first visit to joel during the 90s, joel had brought a Filipino woman to belgium in a weird, creepy, hosed up mail-order bride type deal and it was weird and creepy and hosed up. i can't find that episode online, but jambers did visit farmer joel again around 2002 for an update. by then, his filipino wife had left his creepy rear end and he had imported a new one. what's more, his son was now in the Philippines to get himself a wife too. it's somehow even weirder and more hosed up and ugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiiJQL13MkE

you don't have to understand what they're saying to realise how utterly loving tragic this all is. watch the bit after 3:25, when joel just finishes talking about what love is. heartbreaking part around 3:58 - you'll get what it's about.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

R. Mute posted:

austria isn't northern europe though?

Culturally it totally is, dude, sorry. You guys get saddled with rape-dad and that's all there is to it.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Hedera Helix posted:

This isn't the chess scene, how could you not link the chess scene. :saddowns: Also, you should probably add a NWS tag to that.

cheerfullydrab posted:

I was hoping it was the scene of Omar on the stand, but you let me down.
okay so one of the three scenes that usually get posted.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

R. Mute posted:

didn't they plan on fully modelling pretty much everything? but it took so much processing power that they had to give up and actually take stuff out? i mean, vicky2 was slow as gently caress anyway

I don't know what they had planned, but it seems like adding more variables to the model would make things even more complicated and unstable. I mean, it's hard to get real-life economic models to give reasonable predictions for the long run, much less to do it in a game (in an accessible and fun way).

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

(in an accessible and fun way).
it's paradox interactive

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Captain_Maclaine posted:

That was pretty dumb, but at least it gave us more of Oliver Platt's character, who I thought stole most every scene he was in.

Also, Toby was easily my least favorite member of the main cast, so I wasn't exactly broke-up to see him sidelined.

Babish owned but my personal favorite minor character is Bruno, he was great at liberal fanwank speeches.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

R. Mute posted:

it's paradox interactive

As a fan of chess, thanks for not posting the chess scene.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

ReindeerF posted:

Locking your children in a sex dungeon and fathering kids with them while you take creepy vacations to Southeast Asia is a uniquely Northern European deal. America's fruitcake sexual predators of this variety can't afford international vacations because there's no welfare state, so it always ends up being toothless hillbillies kidnapping other people's kids or something.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/16/nyregion/upstate-couple-are-accused-of-kidnapping-amish-sisters.html?_r=0

Spot on

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ThirdPartyView posted:

Serious question: what's so appealing about "The Wire"?

For me it's that it works on all levels. It goes beyond the crime drama or police procedural to the "why" and the "how" of the constraints and vested interests that keep things the way they are. I don't want to go any further so that I won't spoil it for anyone, but I found something fundamentally pleasurable in every single season, and it was another aspect each time.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
I'm looking through Audible at different books to get, and I made the mistake of clicking on the "Politics" section and checking the best sellers. The first four authors I see as customer favorites/best sellers: Geert Wilders, Ben Carson, Dinesh D'Souza, and Charles Krauthammer.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Majorian posted:

I'm looking through Audible at different books to get, and I made the mistake of clicking on the "Politics" section and checking the best sellers. The first four authors I see as customer favorites/best sellers: Geert Wilders, Ben Carson, Dinesh D'Souza, and Charles Krauthammer.

Just tell yourself it's because social conservatives are the lot who need to have their books read for them, and think nothing more of it.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What's up with the little grenades next to some usernames?

Edit: I have one, too!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

McDowell posted:

What's up with the little grenades next to some usernames?

Edit: I have one, too!

Platinum, beeyotch.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Wait what was your username like, yesterday? I feel like it just changed.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
every time I see a bumper sticker for this guy (thankfully I've only seen one so far) I want to kick something

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
So tell me about this Peter Kuo guy and why he's terrible. I see he's running for state senate in CA. When I think CA state politics, I just think of it as the ultimate example of why voter referenda and direct democracy structures are terrible.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
Don't know much about Cali politics, why should people dislike Kuo?\

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

he's awful namely because of his fearmongering over Affirmative Action, specifically his spreading bullshit about how SCA5 (an attempt by the State Senate to reinstate affirmative action after it was banned in the late 90s) means that there will be a cap on Asian enrollment in the UC system please ignore how racial quotas were declared unconstitutional in the late 70s, which in and of itself is heavily based amongst racial resentment against black and Latino untermenschen by rich rear end in a top hat Chinese people. Scaremongering over Affirmative Action amongst the residents of his (and my) majority-Asian state senate district is pretty much the crux of his campaign

one of his campaign slogans ("Common Sense Solutions for California") is also pretty a pretty laughable attempt at faux-populism (especially given that over 60% of Asian Americans approve of Affirmative Action) and is just another reminder for me why I'll never trust any politician who touts "common sense" as a solution

thankfully he only won like 28% of the vote in the runoff two months ago, and he's got pretty much no shot at actually winning the seat (the leading Democrat got like 37% or so and all Democrats combined got high-60s) but his candidacy's combination of faux-populism and scaremongering really rubs me the wrong way

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 18, 2014

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

Wait what was your username like, yesterday? I feel like it just changed.

It's been Majorian since 2009. I was Komissar Steve from 2004-2008ish.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I was wondering why those photos on his site had him surrounded by an exclusively asian supporters. Looks like the source of the problem is a voter referendum constitutional amendment, big surprise. Fbofw, (arguably mostly worse), Kuo is probably fully aware his campaign is futile-he's likely just using it to build a support base/brand/name recognition for some other action, possibly a future campaign.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

yeah that's honestly a scary prospect

his campaign so far is contemptible enough, and I sure as loving hell don't want a man like him anywhere near elected office, much less representing my hometown

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Given that his support base is limited, I think it's more likely that, instead of going for that level of office, he'll either run for mayor of an area with a concentrated userbase, or my best bet is he'll become a pundit of some sort. Instead of becoming a politician and flaming out, he'll exist to perpetuate the ideological problems-ooh! Maybe his son will get elected instead!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 18, 2014

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
When is Alpha House happening again?

I definitely can't trust Amazon to tell me this, sadly

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Defenestration posted:

When is Alpha House happening again?

I definitely can't trust Amazon to tell me this, sadly

I don't know, but I take it you like it? Is it worth getting Prime for? I've been thinking of getting Prime for a while anyway and this might be the tipping point.

Also, on an unrelated topic, the GDR national anthem is really pretty, and I kind of wish Germany had kept it after the reunification, instead of the Deutschlandlied.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Majorian posted:

I don't know, but I take it you like it? Is it worth getting Prime for? I've been thinking of getting Prime for a while anyway and this might be the tipping point.

Also, on an unrelated topic, the GDR national anthem is really pretty, and I kind of wish Germany had kept it after the reunification, instead of the Deutschlandlied.

On his deathbed, Paasikivi said "I've seen Germany lead the world into two world wars. They will do it again; I will not see it, but perhaps you will."

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The Climate Change thread is pretty high level stuff for me, but in simpler terms how likely is everything to implode in this generation's lifetime, ie the next 80 years or so?

I mean I can't say I'd like to experience the apocalypse but with how bad thing spparently are it would be interesting to see the downfall of humanity. :v:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Anatharon posted:

The Climate Change thread is pretty high level stuff for me, but in simpler terms how likely is everything to implode in this generation's lifetime, ie the next 80 years or so?

I mean I can't say I'd like to experience the apocalypse but with how bad thing spparently are it would be interesting to see the downfall of humanity. :v:

Just assume we're hosed beyond repair one way or another whether it's climate change, gently caress-off meteor, Rand Paul, the oligarchy, etc. Then go grab a bag of popcorn and enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Lol, David Gregory was such poo poo at Meet the Press he's out at NBC all together.

• Locked thread