Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Plom Bar posted:

What a coincidence!

Hahahahaha.

I believe you'll find that's an empty airsoft magazine. :spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

I am sure this happened.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I am sure this happened.

I worked retail. We never had to check $20s. I have to wonder where this person worked.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Legitimate complaint about police or attempted appropriation? You decide.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

LeJackal posted:

Here's the full story:

quote:

Salt Lake City police shooting investigation could take 2-3 weeks

Victim was unarmed when police confronted him, brother says.

t could be several weeks before investigators probing Salt Lake City police officers’ fatal shooting of a 20-year-old man present their findings to prosecutors, police said Friday.

"The only thing new I can tell you is that our investigators are optimistic that they will have a case ready for review by the [Salt Lake County] district attorney’s office in the next two to three weeks," South Salt Lake police Sgt. Darin Sweeten told The Tribune.

Dillon Taylor was shot by police Monday night outside a 7-Eleven store at 2102 S. State St. The officers involved were responding to a report of a man brandishing a handgun in the area of the store.

The South Salt Lake police department, which is investigating the incident, has declined to say whether a weapon was found, or what actions by Taylor — verbal or physical — were deemed threatening enough for police to fire at least twice.

Meanwhile, Jerrail Taylor insists his brother did not have a handgun on him.

Jerrail Taylor said he, his brother and a cousin had just gotten drinks at the 7-Eleven when the officers, guns drawn, confronted them.

Dillon Taylor initially didn’t hear the officers’ demands to get down on the ground with his hands on his head, Jerrail Taylor said, because he was wearing headphones.

Witnesses gave conflicting accounts of whether Dillon Taylor reached toward his waistband or, as his brother claimed, was just adjusting his pants.

Sweeten has said Dillon Taylor reportedly was "belligerent" toward officers. He has declined to further detail the nature of that alleged attitude.

Court documents show a $25,000 arrest warrant had been issued Aug. 7 for Taylor, alleging he had violated his probation on earlier felony robbery and obstructing justice charges.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

gatesealer posted:

I worked retail. We never had to check $20s. I have to wonder where this person worked.

That sort of policy is set at the company level, and usually involves a national or regional warning from the Secret Service or Treasury Dept that there's a counterfeiting operation involving the currency at issue (the Secret Service handle currency forgery investigations).

LeJackal posted:

It happened 3 days ago, and the investigation (like in Ferguson) is ongoing. There was no racial element to the incident that I'm aware of, so at a minimum the racial injustice elements of the complaint aren't similar. The meme's purpose is probably general anti-police rhetoric from the libertarian camp.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Discendo Vox posted:

It happened 3 days ago, and the investigation (like in Ferguson) is ongoing. There was no racial element to the incident that I'm aware of, so at a minimum the racial injustice elements of the complaint aren't similar. The meme's purpose is probably general anti-police rhetoric from the libertarian camp.

It's more like "the Mike Brown case couldn't possibly be racism because the cops are poo poo towards everyone!"

E:

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 18, 2014

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Discendo Vox posted:

That may have been what was originally intended by the creator of the image, but the intent of the people posting it is most likely to minimize what happened to Michael Brown and others at the hands of the police. They did this same thing during the Trayvon Martin case where they would go around cherry-picking times when black people shot a white person. In this case it's trying to say the racial component doesn't exist because the police sometimes shoot white people too. It's a false equivalency.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's more like "the Mike Brown case couldn't possibly be racism because the cops are poo poo towards everyone!"

I don't think it's even considering the racial element- the logo is from "Police the Police - (A Community Project)", which is a facebook group that has a generally anti-police bent (note there's another one with a similar name, but a different logo and ideology. From their latest post:

Police the Police posted:

It is safe to acknowledge that police disproportionately profile black people in this country on a daily basis but I really hope this doesn't turn into a race issue.

At this point, it's police vs the people. Police have made themselves the enemy of humanity, that should be the focus. Don't let them divide us like they have in the past and don't ever forget we have the numbers. Where there is unity, there is strength!

Their position is really strongly anti-police, to the point of incoherence. That said, other posts indicate a lack of racial animus, including memes discussing how black community members were protecting storefronts during the rioting.

^^^^^^ Yeah, that makes sense. This example of perverse use is exactly why I dislike particular-to-general arguments in this area.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

El Anansi posted:

This is overwhelmingly the way Islam is portrayed in the west, but Islam actually has an amazingly fractious history both on sectarian and doctrinal levels. Everyone uses the same Koran, true, and the text is the same as it's always been, but as a proportion of the religious texts of Islam, the Koran itself makes up only a tiny piece of the picture, even if it's the most important part. The remainder is mostly filled in with Hadith, which are the accounts of the sayings, teachings, and works of the Prophet, and those are almost hilariously contentious among scholars and laypersons alike.

The infallibility of the Koran doesn't really help that it's missing a lot of the necessary doctrine to form the kind of comprehensive faith that Islam is charged with being, so it was left to people to fill in the gaps. Even immediately following the death of the Prophet, the fact that he hadn't given specific instructions regarding the ascendancy of leadership of the faith caused the Sunni-Shia split, and they and their respective subgroupings have had fifteen hundred years to develop their own opinions and traditions about the strength and relevance of different Hadith as well as incorporate pre-Islamic traditions into their religious practice. (FGM is a good example, that's straight-up a North African regional thing that both Christian and Muslim Egyptians practice in roughly equal measure, yet Monolithic Global Islam constantly gets tarred with that brush.)

Muslim friends have shared with me the adage "Ask one question of two Muslims; get three answers", which sums it up in my experience.

Just to illustrate this, even stuff like "What food is Halal?" has a huge number of variations. Depending on Madhab, Fish can be haram, or fish are okay but everything else from the sea is haram, or everything from the sea is halal, etc. Even the basics have a huge amount of diversity.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't even know where to start.

Thank god Christians don't support that kind of thing.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

gatesealer posted:

We always did when I worked at Hardee's, though that was in 2005, so it could have changed by now.

Also, gently caress anyone who says "could of" instead of "could have."

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I unironically support the message that "Cops are poo poo."

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I am sure this happened.

Doofus got so wrapped up in counterfeit detection and racism that they didn't realize that four $20's is $20.89 short.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Doofus got so wrapped up in counterfeit detection and racism that they didn't realize that four $20's is $20.89 short.

Four twenties, suck at being a cashier ebry day.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Also so wrapped up in counterfeit detection and racism that they didn't realize that they said the customer spent just over a dollar.

Also: I had a $20 get checked on Friday at an ice cream place. They had signs up about the policy and I joked about the recession hitting counterfeiters.

Edit:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Four twenties, suck at being a cashier ebry day.

Oh bravo. :golfclap:

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I get people rounding my charge down all the time when paying cash for stuff over $40. Less than a buck gets a pass surprisingly often if you're paying cash while friendly, but it might be a smaller business I-know-your-face deal. That part is the least ridiculous, nobody objects to verification after the first bill with explanation, and during my past working retail, it's always been $50+ (whether one bill or three) that gets checked. Apparently small-time criminals prefer $50s to $100s.

After checking someone's first $20 or $50, it's not like checking the rest means you're four times more prejudiced, it's just doing a job. The act of checking paper is the line in the sand, not the total cash amount. Unless the checker's a real dick, maybe?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

sweart gliwere posted:

I get people rounding my charge down all the time when paying cash for stuff over $40. Less than a buck gets a pass surprisingly often if you're paying cash while friendly, but it might be a smaller business I-know-your-face deal.

Yeah, rounding down from $100.89 to $80.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Breadallelogram posted:

Yeah, rounding down from $100.89 to $80.

Honestly missed the $20.89 part. That just makes the post better.

rap apology for breezing over [Bulworth]When you want to win, you musn't skim![/Bulworth]

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 18, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Checking bills for forgery doesn't (shouldn't) have to do with the person actually handing them to you. The checks are done because the report is that the forgeries are already in circulation.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Discendo Vox posted:

Checking bills for forgery doesn't (shouldn't) have to do with the person actually handing them to you. The checks are done because the report is that the forgeries are already in circulation.

As they say in the old country, "should is the name of a fish".

mystes
May 31, 2006

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I am sure this happened.
I'd be more worried about the authenticity of the currency if the woman had handed over $1.0089 in exact change.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

mystes posted:

I'd be more worried about the authenticity of the currency if the woman had handed over $1.0089 in exact change.

Don't Viking-shame, it makes you look extra racist because you're differentiating between white subgroups rather than general skin tone. We're all entitled to chip a nickel into nine pieces or stretch quarters into breakable bracelets, should some business demand it. Ron Paul probably holds nightly vigils about judging coins by their content rather than their profiles, which our media clearly ignores.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Alright, now we're talkin'. Crazy Catholic right-wing cousin again:

quote:

President Obama walks into a local bank in Chicago to cash a check. He is surrounded by Secret Service agents. As he approaches the cashier he says, "Good morning Ma'am, could you please cash this check for me?"

Cashier:
"It would be my pleasure sir. Could you please show me your ID?"

Obama:
"Truthfully, I did not bring my ID with me as I didn't think there was any need to. I am President Barack Obama, the President of the United States of AMERICA !!!!"

Cashier:
"Yes sir, I know who you are, but with all the regulations and monitoring of the banks because of 9/11, impostors, forgers, money laundering, and bad mortgage underwriting not to mention requirements of the Dodd/Frank legislation, etc., I must insist on seeing ID."

Obama:
“Just ask anyone here at the bank who I am and they will tell you. Everybody knows who I am."

Cashier:
"I am sorry Mr. President but these are the bank rules and I must follow them."

Obama:
"I am urging you, please, to cash this check. I need to buy a gift for Michelle for Valentine’s Day"

Cashier:
"Look Mr. President, here is an example of what we can do. One day, Tiger Woods came into one of our bank branches without ID. To prove he was Tiger Woods he pulled out his putter and made a beautiful shot across the bank into a coffee cup. With that shot we knew him to be Tiger Woods and cashed his check.”
“Another time, Andre Agassi came into the same place without ID. He pulled out his tennis racquet and made a fabulous shot where as the tennis ball landed in a coffee cup. With that shot we cashed his check.
So, Mr. President, what can you do to prove that it is you, and only you, as the President of the United States?"

Obama:
Obama stands there thinking, and thinking, and finally says, "Honestly, my mind is a total blank...there is nothing that comes to my mind. I can't think of a single thing. I have absolutely no idea what to do and I don’t have a clue.”
Cashier:
"Will that be large or small bills, Mr. President?

This one is good too:

quote:

THIS NEEDS TO GO AROUND THE USA MANY TIMES SO KEEP IT GOING!
If you look closely at the picture below, you will note that all the Marines pictured are bowing their heads. That's because they're praying. This incident took place at a recent ceremony honoring the birthday of the corps, and it has the ACLU up in arms. "These are federal employees," says Lucius Traveler, a spokesman for the ACLU, "on federal property and on federal time.. For them to pray is clearly an establishment of religion, and we must nip this in the bud immediately." When asked about the ACLU's charges, Colonel Jack Fessender, speaking for the Commandant of the Corps said (cleaned up a bit), "Screw the ACLU." GOD Bless Our Warriors. Send the ACLU to Afghanistan! (then watch them pray)
Please send this to people you know so everyone will know how stupid the ACLU is getting in trying to remove GOD from everything and every place in America.
May God Bless America, One Nation Under GOD!
What's wrong with the picture? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! GOD BLESS YOU FOR PASSING IT ON! I am not breaking this one....Let us pray for all those who sacrifice to keep us safe!
Prayer chain for our Military...please don't break
THIS NEEDS TO GO AROUND THE USA MANY TIMES SO KEEP IT GOING
Let’s put the ALCU in combat for a few weeks and then see what their beliefs would be.
AMEN!

It's funny cause the ACLU actually responded to this one saying "we have no knowledge of this incident" and has said fighting prayer isn't one of their priorities.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
My brother is coast guard and it bothered the poo poo out of me at the ceremony after he finished boot camp that the commanding officers lead prayer and also read a prayer that I assume his company was at least encouraged to write.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The ACLU has defended basically everyones right to free speech including Christians and lovely racists. It's really vexing when it becomes one of those organizations conservatives just slap on as "political correctness gone mad!!!"

LittlePriest
Oct 5, 2003

Winner #39 of the 2k14 #Gamergate Shit Show
Do not talk to me if your a SJW MRA PUA fucktarded Shitlord, (PS: GJ on ruining videogame journalism twitter drama MODS).
The lovely part is that they're pretty much being made to pray. Do you want to be the Marine not bowing his head when your commander starts talking to god? I imagine it wouldn't go over too well.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

LittlePriest posted:

The lovely part is that they're pretty much being made to pray. Do you want to be the Marine not bowing his head when your commander starts talking to god? I imagine it wouldn't go over too well.

If memory serves stuff like that, when it comes to the U.S. military, is that they say "OK bow your head, here is a moment of silence. Pray if you want, to whatever you want, or don't. Up to you." I'm pretty sure the military is actually really, really good at freedom of religion.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Man oh man, that Obama joke sure was hilarious* back when I first heard it, and it was about George W. Bush.

*it wasn't actually hilarious at all, ever :ssh:

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If memory serves stuff like that, when it comes to the U.S. military, is that they say "OK bow your head, here is a moment of silence. Pray if you want, to whatever you want, or don't. Up to you." I'm pretty sure the military is actually really, really good at freedom of religion.

Not really. The Air Force has gotten in some hot water recently because it's been infiltrated by a lot of fundamentalists, who push a bunch of their poo poo into the branch. Funny thing is that the people complaining weren't atheists-- it was Catholics, Mormons, and other Christian sects. I gues getting called the Whore of Babylon isn't too good for morale.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
When the whore of babylon comes rolling through I'm gonna stoked to chill with her dope rear end multi headed snake dog. It's gonna be badass.

Duncan Doenitz
Nov 17, 2010

There are four lights.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Anecdotal, but when I was in the Navy, we had "evening prayer" over the PA system every night at 10 on my ship. I don't think it was ever Bible readings or anything, but it was still explicitly Christian.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SatansOnion posted:

Man oh man, that Obama joke sure was hilarious* back when I first heard it, and it was about George W. Bush.

*it wasn't actually hilarious at all, ever :ssh:

They forgot to update from Tiger Woods to Rory McIlroy too. Tiger would just pull a muscle in his back and leave frustrated.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I am sure this happened.

Part of what helps me think this is made up is the line of 4 $20's after saying the price was 100.89 cents.

Edit: Whoops someone already made that point.

HFX fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 18, 2014

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
Holy poo poo. This just came up on my Twitter.

Based on the guy's feed, I think he's a racist bot or something. He just butted into a conversation about how Tibetan monks got to Ferguson before the governor could make it out there.

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food.

I've seen this one go around FB a couple times now.

Firstly: :godwin:

Secondly: It doesn't make any loving sense. It's not like the "needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" is an untrue or even bad statement. Not to mention that Hilary and Hitler aren't even remotely politically similar...in fact wouldn't they be near polar opposites???

It's not like there aren't plenty of other things to blast Hilary over.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Nyarai posted:

Holy poo poo. This just came up on my Twitter.

Based on the guy's feed, I think he's a racist bot or something. He just butted into a conversation about how Tibetan monks got to Ferguson before the governor could make it out there.

In Tibet... posted:

Reprisals for the 1959 national uprising alone involved the elimination of 87,000 Tibetans by the Chinese count alone, according to a Radio Lhasa broadcast of 1 October 1960. Yet Tibetan exiles claim that 430,000 died during the Uprising and the subsequent 15 years of guerrilla warfare, which continued until the US withdrew support.

The International Commission of Jurists concluded in its reports, 1959 and 1960, that there was a prima facie case of genocide committed by the Chinese upon the Tibetan nation. These reports deal with events before the Cultural Revolution. Chinese justice: Protest and Prisons-

Exile sources estimate that up to 260,000 people died in prisons and labour camps between 1950 and 1984.

Unarmed demonstrators have been shot without warning by Chinese police on five occasions between 1987 and 1989. Amnesty International believes that at least 200 civilians were killed by the security forces during demonstrations in this period. There are also reports of detainees being summarily executed.
I like how white supremacists make whiteness look so ridiculously weak and fragile. The Tibetans are being face with genocide because the Chinese government has been killing thousands and thousands of them. White people are facing genocide because brown people are coming to their countries for jobs, and I guess that's too much for us poor white people to handle somehow.

rkajdi posted:

Not really. The Air Force has gotten in some hot water recently because it's been infiltrated by a lot of fundamentalists, who push a bunch of their poo poo into the branch. Funny thing is that the people complaining weren't atheists-- it was Catholics, Mormons, and other Christian sects. I gues getting called the Whore of Babylon isn't too good for morale.
There's a whole thing with the Military Religious Freedom Foundation, who constantly get letters about how the head guy is a devil-worshiping Jew who hates God or whatever, when in real life they try to stop the fundamentalists from abusing other people in the military of all stripes, which works out to be mostly other kinds of Christians.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

You aren't really supposed to think about it. It's just more "National SOCIALISTS amirite?" bullshit to reinforce the notion that the Nazi's were leftists and ergo modern Democrats are trying to reinstate the Third Reich only this time it's going to be white, heterosexual Christians that will be led to the gas chambers (and paid by with YOUR TAX DOLLARS as the final insult).

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food.
I guess they see "Socialist" in National Socialist Party and go from there? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Shachi posted:

I guess they see "Socialist" in National Socialist Party and go from there? :psyduck:

Yeah, a lot of it goes back to WWII and the Cold War. Socialism is this great, big bogeyman that's waiting in the shadows to eat your children and empty your bank account. Hitler and Stalin called themselves socialists and were bad people. Ergo, socialism is bad.