Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

The real magic tech in Thor's movies is how those little pieces of his armor sleeves seem to come out of nowhere and magic themselves together on to his arm :colbert:

In the first Thor you can see they actually do just slide over his arms when he powers up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

If they deemphasize the origin (I imagine Faraci is exaggerating when he talks as though it's been excised entirely), I wonder how they'd explain the lack of actual magic in the MCU thus far, or why he was only known to SHIELD/HYDRA as a potential future threat rather than a current one. Not an insurmountable obstacle, but I'm curious.

The answer can be that Strange has been keeping it under wraps as the previous sorcerer supreme did.

Just explain that the job of the sorcerer supreme is to combat magical threats, and to prevent people from uncovering anything too dangerous, keeping magic in the hands of the worthy. We know he has been active as shield had a file on him in cap 2.

His fatal flaw is arrogance. So things are going good, he gets cocky and out pops dormamu... First flick there.

Roydrowsy fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 18, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They could explain it that the Sorcerers on earth are actaully people who have learned how to preform Asgardian "magic", but as they don't fully understand it, it really is magic to them, filled with ritual and such, while someone like Loki and Freya could use it at will.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Waterhaul posted:

It'll be the same as Avengers, Guardians and Ant Man. The heroes exist already but there will still be an origin story of them learning to stop being selfish and self absorbed so they can save the day because with great power comes great responsibility. It just won't be Doctor Strange is an average dude until one day his life is turned upside down by superheroics.

Thor falls under that banner too, since his actual origin story would involve an Anthony Hopkins / Rene Russo sex-scene.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

twistedmentat posted:

They could explain it that the Sorcerers on earth are actaully people who have learned how to preform Asgardian "magic", but as they don't fully understand it, it really is magic to them, filled with ritual and such, while someone like Loki and Freya could use it at will.

It's magic to asgardians Jane sciences away the Soul Forge and Frigga rolls her eyes like "whatever you stupid housecat"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Don't they actually establish even many of the Asgardians think their technology is magic?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lobok posted:

I think it makes sense that Strange is fairly under the radar. He's one of the few Marvel heroes who takes pains to hide himself, and many of his adventures are on different planes of existence or beyond the physical realm.

Strange doesn't really hide himself. Everyone knows where his house is. But nobody is dumb enough to bother him because he could magic you into Dormammu's realm or something if you pissed him off. Plus Wong is terrifying.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Codependent Poster posted:

Strange doesn't really hide himself. Everyone knows where his house is. But nobody is dumb enough to bother him because he could magic you into Dormammu's realm or something if you pissed him off. Plus Wong is terrifying.

He wore a mask for awhile.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Codependent Poster posted:

I do hope Wong gets a chance to just brutalize somebody in the movie.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
How about just have Dr. Strange do magic and not even mention science at all? I like that plan.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They emphasized that everything the Asgardians do is science and not magic so that when Dr. Strange shows up and does actual magic it's more impressive and special.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

WickedHate posted:

"Actual" magic isn't a thing. Magic only stops being magic to people when it's explained.
With that definition, Doctor Strange in the comics doesn't do "actual" magic, as it's something that can be studied, quantified, and understood.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

By the hoary host bus of Hoggoth!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bongo Bill posted:

They emphasized that everything the Asgardians do is science and not magic so that when Dr. Strange shows up and does actual magic it's more impressive and special.

No they didn't. They said it was both. Very explicitly.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

theflyingorc posted:

With that definition, Doctor Strange in the comics doesn't do "actual" magic, as it's something that can be studied, quantified, and understood.

Exactly. Kind of. The magic in Thor isn't any less magic just because it's approached scientifically. There isn't a separate magic that's more real then it. The concept of "actual" magic vs "just science" shouldn't exist in the first place.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

WickedHate posted:

Exactly. Kind of. The magic in Thor isn't any less magic just because it's approached scientifically. There isn't a separate magic that's more real then it. The concept of "actual" magic vs "just science" shouldn't exist in the first place.

Which they kept trying to hammer (:rimshot:) home in the Thor movies.

It's both you nerds and Jane Foster.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think Strange's brand of incantations and spells that involve invoking gods and demons and whatever is probably a bit more real.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

greatn posted:

Justice society with like, Tommy Lee Jones as Guy Gardner, Sly Stallone as Wildcat, Morgan Freeman as sandman, Harrison Ford as Jay Garrick, Diane Lane as Red Tornado. Just the old people versions.

Oh Lord Almighty, please let this happen if nothing else than for a decent set-up for a Crisis on Multiple Earths movie. :flashfap:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
A really likely way to do a non origin Strange movie would be the "average Joe/Jane" maneuver. Like Blade or Hellboy, just bring in a character to act as the viewer, and have them stumble into Strange's world. Now everything the character/viewer sees must be explained and voila.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
"He's like Iron Man and Doctor Who combined, but with magic and demons instead of science and aliens."

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I didn't see anything posted about this so here it goes: http://www.slashfilm.com/john-slattery-ant-man-casting/

Looks like were getting more middle aged Howard Stark in Ant-Man.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Saw a commercial for the home release of ASM2 and they made a point of having 19 deleted scenes. That's a loving lot.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

muscles like this? posted:

Saw a commercial for the home release of ASM2 and they made a point of having 19 deleted scenes. That's a loving lot.

Well, the cut MJ out entirely, that probably accounts for a good chunk.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

muscles like this? posted:

Or not nearly enough, depending on who you ask.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

hi liter posted:

I didn't see anything posted about this so here it goes: http://www.slashfilm.com/john-slattery-ant-man-casting/

Looks like were getting more middle aged Howard Stark in Ant-Man.

Roger Sterling is Howard Stark is John Slattery.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Kingtheninja posted:

A really likely way to do a non origin Strange movie would be the "average Joe/Jane" maneuver. Like Blade or Hellboy, just bring in a character to act as the viewer, and have them stumble into Strange's world. Now everything the character/viewer sees must be explained and voila.

They could keep it true to the books and the everyman stand-in is a college co-ed Strange is perving on.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They could keep it true to the books and the everyman stand-in is a college co-ed Strange is perving on.

Night Nurse?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Kingtheninja posted:

If you don't mind giving up any chance to ever do Runaways, you could probably use Nico for this. Brought on as an apprentice via mystical family connections or whatever.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
There was that girl from the Mark Waid miniseries a few years back. Casey, I think?

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

The Lord of Hats posted:

If you don't mind giving up any chance to ever do Runaways, you could probably use Nico for this. Brought on as an apprentice via mystical family connections or whatever.

No. Bad enough that every Marvel lead is a white dude. Let's not start reducing the few heroic female minority team leaders to the role of annoying kid in film.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Soylentbits posted:

No. Bad enough that every Marvel lead is a white dude. Let's not start reducing the few heroic female minority team leaders to the role of annoying kid in film.

Yeah; I like the character, but wanting them in a movie shouldn't get in the way of letting them be who they actually are. It's just that it's hard at this point to really imagine Runaways being done in the Marvel movie universe at this point, because so much of the story depends on being set in a world where these heroics are vaguely commonplace.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Also there's no point in bringing in Nico when Clea is around to serve as both audience stand in and a built in "Dormammu wants you dead because you have a legitimate claim to his throne through you conveniently to dead to teach you magic parents" plot

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Soylentbits posted:

At least women get positive roles in films. let's give Strange a sidekick from a real minority. Interstellar psychic dragonflies.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Why haven't they got MGK to write Doctor Strange, anyway?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Last I checked his reaction to certain Spider-man storylines really hurt his stock with Marvel.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Mr. Maltose posted:

Last I checked his reaction to certain Spider-man storylines really hurt his stock with Marvel.

You mean his love of Superior Spider-Man? I'd have thought that would have made him popular in Marvel, but lynched around these parts?

Edit: I know what you are talking about. But I thought he had more of a blow-up over Civil War then he did about OMD. I can't even remember if he really posted that much about OMD.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Paul Rudd in Ant Man

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=106266

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Or Paul Rudd in literally any movie at all

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Almost as exciting as those leaked pics of Bruce Wayne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Huh, I didn't know Paul Rudd was a bridge, interesting direction to take the movie.

• Locked thread