Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012
Also, scary dark blue photo filter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Nyarai posted:

Holy poo poo. This just came up on my Twitter.

Based on the guy's feed, I think he's a racist bot or something. He just butted into a conversation about how Tibetan monks got to Ferguson before the governor could make it out there.

"Populations of non-European origin in Europe (approx. 22 - 29+ million, or approx. 3% to 4%+ [depending on definition of non-European origin], out of a total population of approx. 728 million):"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_in_Europe

A lazy wikipedia article but I always wondered why 3 to 4% minorities is considered a white genocide by these people. Even in countries like France, 80% are ethnically French, 7% are from other European countries and 7% are of North African origin.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Deltasquid posted:

"Populations of non-European origin in Europe (approx. 22 - 29+ million, or approx. 3% to 4%+ [depending on definition of non-European origin], out of a total population of approx. 728 million):"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_in_Europe

A lazy wikipedia article but I always wondered why 3 to 4% minorities is considered a white genocide by these people. Even in countries like France, 80% are ethnically French, 7% are from other European countries and 7% are of North African origin.

I suspect the comment was coming from an American, where we are awesomely becoming majority minority-- just kidding, we'll redefine white to include enough people to give them a majority again (same as every previous immigartion wave). It's starting to drive some older white a bit batty. Last few times I talked to my father, he's brought up the "Be careful, white boy" racist poo poo to me about how the tables are about to turn and I'll be treated the way we've treated hispanics and blacks up until now. This poo poo was always beneath the surface, but now people aren't even trying to hide it.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If memory serves stuff like that, when it comes to the U.S. military, is that they say "OK bow your head, here is a moment of silence. Pray if you want, to whatever you want, or don't. Up to you." I'm pretty sure the military is actually really, really good at freedom of religion.

In my experience, it was very very bad at freedom of religion. Once my platoon Sergeant found out I was atheist he mocked my atheism endlessly and even my "equal opportunity" representative went along with the harassment.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

rkajdi posted:

Last few times I talked to my father, he's brought up the "Be careful, white boy" racist poo poo to me about how the tables are about to turn and I'll be treated the way we've treated hispanics and blacks up until now.

This is something I have never understood. Even if we grant him that minorities will treat white people horribly when white is no longer the majority because of how minorities have been treated, why wouldn't your response to seeing a decline in your majority status be to suddenly treat minorities well so that they don't treat you like poo poo? I mean we should treat everyone well, but for racist shits like this, why wouldn't that be the response instead of doubling down on the hate?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

It depends entirely on your unit and its chain of command. Every unit I was ever in was pretty good at pretending religion doesn't exist, apart from one where one NCO was a bit too vocal about his Catholicism than I thought was appropriate. I'm sure a lot of people were dying to give me poo poo about being an atheist or to pick on the couple of Wiccans we had but they knew the commander or first sergeant would eat them alive if they ever found out.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Deltasquid posted:

Anything other than 100% white is considered impure, which is part of why there is a decline in "white" people, though that's another thing racist shits complain about. Somebody that is half white and half black is considered black so they feel like non-white races are considered "better" in that they "override" the whiteness. Except that this is basically the racists' own fault in that they said in the past "a single drop of black blood makes you black." Which is, of course, stupid as basically nobody is 100% one race, especially in America. If you want to get very technical we're actually all Africans.

One of the reasons that racism will be harder in the future is because the lines are kind of blurring. Marrying other races was illegal until fairly recently but now it is not and there are more and more interracial marriages happening, which are producing more and more interracial children.

edit: I'm a stupid idiot and I make stupid typos.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 18, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If memory serves stuff like that, when it comes to the U.S. military, is that they say "OK bow your head, here is a moment of silence. Pray if you want, to whatever you want, or don't. Up to you." I'm pretty sure the military is actually really, really good at freedom of religion.

It depends on your commander so it can vary from unit to unit, but in my experience it was never "bow your head at the beginning of this mandatory ceremony and think about whatever you want," it was "bow your head while the Chaplain says a prayer" and those prayers were explicitly Christian pretty often.

It wasn't a huge deal, and not really more annoying than having to stand there for boring speeches in a change of command ceremony anyway, but it's still an imposition on religious freedom, however mild. If you doubt this, and if you think that sectarian prayers at mandatory events aren't imposing religion, then let's make all the prayers explicitly Muslim instead and invoke the blessing of the only God and Mohammed His Prophet (pbuh), and I'm sure that all of the Christians demanding that official prayer continue will be totally fine with this because it's not in any way an imposition on their religion or an attempt to push Islam onto soldiers of other faiths, right?

They're free to think about Jesus instead while they're bowing their heads for the Imam's prayer, so they'd give that 100% support and call any Christian who objected a big whiny baby, yeah? Sure they would.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 18, 2014

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

gatesealer posted:

This is something I have never understood. Even if we grant him that minorities will treat white people horribly when white is no longer the majority because of how minorities have been treated, why wouldn't your response to seeing a decline in your majority status be to suddenly treat minorities well so that they don't treat you like poo poo? I mean we should treat everyone well, but for racist shits like this, why wouldn't that be the response instead of doubling down on the hate?

Because racists tend to be vengeful people who cant let anything go. So they assume all minorities will be the same. White people ended slavery and blacks still hate us, I mean what the hell?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

gatesealer posted:

Because you're simply better than them, (because reasons) so treating them poorly is correct. The pseudo-phrenology that goes on with a lot of people is ridiculous. I mean, just look at how popular The Bell Curve is, and it's just a thinly veiled racist rant with little actual scientific underpinning.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

rkajdi posted:

Because you're simply better than them, (because reasons) so treating them poorly is correct. The pseudo-phrenology that goes on with a lot of people is ridiculous. I mean, just look at how popular The Bell Curve is, and it's just a thinly veiled racist rant with little actual scientific underpinning.

My parents gave me a Malcolm Gladwell book for Christmas. One of them runs large scale federally funded R01 RCTs. :smith:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Anything other than 100% white is considered impure, which is part of why there is a decline in "white" people, though that's another thing racist shits complain about. Somebody that is half white and half black is considered black so they feel like non-white races are considered "better" in that they "override" the whiteness. Except that this is basically the racists' own fault in that they said in the past "a single drop of black blood makes you black." Which is, of course, stupid as basically nobody is 100% one race, especially in America. If you want to get very technical we're actually all Africans.

One of the reasons that racism will be harder in the future is because the lines are kind of blurring. Marring other races was illegal under fairly recently but now it is not and there are more and more interracial marriages happening, which are producing more and more interracial children.
I think mixed race is the fastest growing group as a percentage of its size. Which is a good thing. I look forward to the day when everyone is a half-breed or quarter-breed. Y'know, diverse-ish.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
I don't have a specific thing to share, but I'd really like to vent that it bums me out how my dad talks about racial politics in the US. He brought up the Michael Brown thing today and started it off by saying that incidents of violence like this aren't as bad as when he grew up (mid-1960's) and nowadays at least there are investigations and it's not all swept under the rug like the 60's.

When I point out that just because it's not the 60's doesn't mean things are all sunshine and rainbows for black/white relations in America he starts going off about how there are "good ones" and "bad ones" and the "black community needs to speak up" and stop putting up with all these thugs etc. etc. When I try and point out statistics about general stoppage/incarceration rates, rates of violence in custody, plus all the white privilege 101 type stuff (welcomed wherever you move, not being followed around in a store, etc.) he just pooh-poohs it like black people are making excuses and they could boot strap themselves to full equality if they REALLY wanted to.

He's not quite in the "racism was over in 1970" camp, but he's pretty close and it bums me out because he sounds borderline racist sometimes I know he's not that way, but the positions he holds don't account for the reality of how life is for many black people in America and he doesn't seem to want or care to consider that information. :sigh:

Xarthor fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 18, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Finally, something original to post. My impossibly flaky, drop-out-of-everything relative, on facebook:

I believe it's an original composition (I personally like to believe it's actually a Mass Effect thing). It's been interesting to observe their radicalization as they continue to project their failings onto society at large.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

This might be localized towards New Jersey, but this is making the rounds on dumb Facebook people I know

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Thanatosian posted:

I think mixed race is the fastest growing group as a percentage of its size. Which is a good thing. I look forward to the day when everyone is a half-breed or quarter-breed. Y'know, diverse-ish.

My mom said this to my dad once and he was horrified. "What, you want to eliminate the black race?" Well dad it's not as if you didn't play your part, seeing as how both your kids have white mothers...

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Shachi posted:

I've seen this one go around FB a couple times now.

Firstly: :godwin:

Secondly: It doesn't make any loving sense. It's not like the "needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" is an untrue or even bad statement. Not to mention that Hilary and Hitler aren't even remotely politically similar...in fact wouldn't they be near polar opposites???

It's not like there aren't plenty of other things to blast Hilary over.

Or hell, J. F. Kennedy's most famous saying was "Ask not what your country can do for you; as yourself what you can do for your country."

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Harlock posted:

This might be localized towards New Jersey, but this is making the rounds on dumb Facebook people I know

Like most of these stories ("Why isn't the media talking about this!"), the murderers were caught and charged with murder almost immediately, something that was missing from the Trayvon Martin / Michael Brown cases.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Discendo Vox posted:

My parents gave me a Malcolm Gladwell book for Christmas.

Sever.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Harlock posted:

This happened in 2012 and the boy who killed her was quickly arrested and pled guilty for a 17 years sentence in prison, with the possibility of parole in 14.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/09/12/autumn-pasquale-murder-nj/2805527/

I guess part of the outrage is that they think the older brother was also involved in the murder.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Older-Brother-Charged-in-Autumn-Pasquale-Murder-Released-From-Jail-225126322.html
(read the comments on this one if you want a laugh)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 18, 2014

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

seiferguy posted:

Like most of these stories ("Why isn't the media talking about this!"), the murderers were caught and charged with murder almost immediately, something that was missing from the Trayvon Martin / Michael Brown cases.

But, you see, it was a white girl and the killers were black men. Therefore you can't complain about oppression because you're the real racist.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Tempting, but I'm also indirectly resolving bioethics issues for the parent's study. I responded by gifting the parent several books from the "sugar/salt are addictive chemical toxins popularized by Big Corporations" school of thought.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

It wasn't a huge deal, and not really more annoying than having to stand there for boring speeches in a change of command ceremony anyway, but it's still an imposition on religious freedom, however mild. If you doubt this, and if you think that sectarian prayers at mandatory events aren't imposing religion, then let's make all the prayers explicitly Muslim instead and invoke the blessing of the only God and Mohammed His Prophet (pbuh), and I'm sure that all of the Christians demanding that official prayer continue will be totally fine with this because it's not in any way an imposition on their religion or an attempt to push Islam onto soldiers of other faiths, right?

They're free to think about Jesus instead while they're bowing their heads for the Imam's prayer, so they'd give that 100% support and call any Christian who objected a big whiny baby, yeah? Sure they would.
Does this not actually happen though? I have family that served in the chaplain's corps as Jews. They had special star of David badges ( :tinfoil: ) and everything. I think there are quite a few non-Christian chaplains in the US military.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I got two idiotic emails today, here's the first:

quote:

In the hospital where a family member lay gravely ill, the relatives gathered in the waiting room.

Finally, the doctor came in looking tired and somber. "I'm afraid I'm the bearer of bad news," he said as he surveyed the worried faces. "The only hope left for your loved one at this time is a brain transplant.

It's an experimental procedure, very risky, but it is the only hope. Insurance will cover the procedure, but you will have to pay for the BRAIN."

The family members sat silent as they absorbed the news. After a time, someone asked, "How much will a brain cost?"

The doctor quickly responded, "$5,000 for a Democrat's brain; $200 for a Republican's brain."

The moment turned awkward.

Some of the Democrats actually had to try not to smile,avoiding eye contact with the Republicans.

A man unable to control his curiosity, finally blurted out the question everyone wanted to ask, "Why is the Democrat's brain so much more than a Republican's brain?"

The doctor smiled at the childish innocence and explained to the entire group, "It's just standard pricing procedure.

We have to price the Republicans' brains a lot lower because they've been used."

SEND THIS TO A Republican WHO NEEDS A LAUGH, AND TO ANY Democrat WHOM YOU THINK CAN HANDLE IT!

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

The other is this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cGlS05233Q

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 18, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Bloodnose posted:

Does this not actually happen though? I have family that served in the chaplain's corps as Jews. They had special star of David badges ( :tinfoil: ) and everything. I think there are quite a few non-Christian chaplains in the US military.

Yes there are non-Christian chaplains, and soldiers on posts that are big enough to have them have the option of going to religious services of their faiths just like Christians choose to go to their own religious services.

The issue is with sectarian prayers at mandatory events, not with the existence of chaplains or voluntary religious services. The point is that if prayers at mandatory ceremonies were really benign and not at all an attempt to push Christianity on people, then if the prayers were specifically Muslim instead we should expect conservatives not to mind at all, right?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Bloodnose posted:

Hell, an old friend of my family trained the first druid chaplain in the US armed forces.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE

What, what did Malcolm Gladwell do?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Jazu posted:

What, what did Malcolm Gladwell do?

Gladwell's the epitome of bastardizing scientific research and methods for the sake of popular consumption. Just about everything he writes is wrong, misleading and/or trivial, and yet he's incredibly poplar because he's mastered the TED talk/Friedman/Salon style of being vaguely counterintuitive, yet not enough so to actually meaningfully express challenging views on anything. His methods are bogus and his work is poo poo. He's a modern, somewhat lefty version of Hernstein or Huntington. His popularity does damage to the sciences as a field, replacing it with a terrible shambling corpse.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
""Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford"

Man this mistrust of government was sure palpable in 2003.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

It's funny, really. Instead of most genocides where one ethnic group is removed by mass killings, deportations and poverty, white people get the easy way out and disappear via consentual humpin'. This is the best genocide ever! :huh:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Chimera-gui posted:

I got two idiotic emails today, here's the first:

Republicans using their brains in such ways as using "whom" when they mean "who".

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Julio Cruz posted:

Republicans using their brains in such ways as using "whom" when they mean "who".

Whom is just a fancy version of who, right? :downs:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
There have never been any actual hard and fast, agreed up on rules for using whom. The word is primarily used to communicate to everybody within earshot "I am a pedantic rear end in a top hat that will lord my usage of the word whom over you lesser beings."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

There's a grammatic rule for who versus whom, but its fallen out of favor with pretty much all prescriptivists and descriptivists since it doesn't have much distinguishing significance.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There have never been any actual hard and fast, agreed up on rules for using whom. The word is primarily used to communicate to everybody within earshot "I am a pedantic rear end in a top hat that will lord my usage of the word whom over you lesser beings."

"Whom" is used for direct or indirect objects.

Being pedantic is one thing, being petulant (and wrong) is something else. Criticize them for being assholes, not for their (correct) grammar.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Walter posted:

"Whom" is used for direct or indirect objects.

Being pedantic is one thing, being petulant (and wrong) is something else. Criticize them for being assholes, not for their (correct) grammar.

Yeah, pronouns are pretty much the only nouns in English where we still use declensions, even though we have word order to tell us what they mean. It's only natural for them to go the way of the dinosaurs.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.
Maybe so, but my point was, don't sit there and pat yourself (not you, the collective you) on the back for coming up with a zinger about pedantic assholes using seemingly archaic pronoun forms when (a) their usage was correct, and (b) they're doing actual rear end in a top hat things you can hit them on.

Using "whom" may make them seem pedantic, but hitting them on their correct grammar because you don't recognize correct usage makes you look dumb and as though you can't come up with anything else to ridicule.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Using whom in and of itself isn't pedantic. It's that I've noticed, probably 90% of the time, somebody saying the word "whom" is correcting somebody else for saying "who" when "whom" was appropriate to use. The rules for whom vs. who are kind of fuzzy at best and, like you said, whom is archaic at this point. You just don't hear it that often. Almost always somebody brings up "whom" to demonstrate their intellectual superiority over the plebs that can't use whom properly.

Some people say whom, some don't. It isn't exactly a huge deal and anybody that makes a huge deal of it is usually a jerk. That's my gripe. I personally don't care if people want to learn whom and use it properly I just hate it when people run around rubbing it in others' faces like it makes them superior somehow.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

All ye dumb plebs, saying "you" when ye mean "ye". Shame on you and your ignorance :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
e: nope, i'm a dumbo