Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Saw this over the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

revmoo posted:

It's funny how impossible it is to get an LSD in BMW late-model cars. With their older models you just grab one of the millions floating around for 300 bucks and chuck it in. Ultimate Driving Machine indeed.

You can kinda do it... requires a M3 rear diff, M3 axles, and a M3 driveshaft which then needs to be cut/combined with the front half of the current ds. Not as simple or cheap... yet.

Terrible car stuff: When you start messing with older cars and changing parts one at a time causes other parts to operate differently than they used to and start making noise / break.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

hot sauce posted:

Saw this over the weekend.

Where can I buy those.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BlackMK4 posted:

You can kinda do it... requires a M3 rear diff, M3 axles, and a M3 driveshaft which then needs to be cut/combined with the front half of the current ds. Not as simple or cheap... yet.

Terrible car stuff: When you start messing with older cars and changing parts one at a time causes other parts to operate differently than they used to and start making noise / break.

This is my experience owning an E30 as well.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Lightbulb Out posted:

This is my experience owning an E30 as well.

It never ends. :psypop:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The kit diagram lays it out in the terrifyingly mundane way usually reserved for autopsies and accident scene restorations:

Today, on "Behind Phy's Keyboard": the cult horror classic, The Man With The SCREAMING BRAIN!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGH RIVETS AND TEK SCREWS OH MY GOD WHY

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Pop rivets and three sheet metal screws. Yes, that will hold the weight of the front corner of a minivan no problem.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Just so we're all clear, while M3's are loving rad track and street monsters...

M135/M235/M335's can get real bonkers on normal roads as well. I think BMW is being excessive with the M badging on everything but... I get it.

Slapping any badge on a car that did not roll off the line with one is stupid car stuff though. With the notable exception of maybe Dinan... sometimes...

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 18, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Having driven both, I preferred the 135i over the e90 M3 :shrug:

Lack of LSD or no, it felt compact, hassle free and fun and had a real sweet clutch and gearbox. The M3's engine was great, it felt like a motorbike engine, but it seemed wasted on that car, I dunno.

MrYenko posted:

An automotive repair should never, ever, EVER involve three self tapping sheet metal screws and a dozen pop rivets.

Ever.

I see you've never seen a GM window regulator.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Since we're talking about springs+rust recently, I posted this in the Miata thread when I switched to my summer tires. Explains the thunking creaky sound I was having.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Well, I figured out where my creak was coming from while switching out my snows

I'm broke so I'm still driving on it.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Spiffness posted:

Slapping any badge on a car that did not roll off the line with one is stupid car stuff though. With the notable exception of maybe Dinan... sometimes...

I know what you're getting at, but if you do crazy things like drivetrain swaps and actual radical performance changes then I think you get a pass. People who stick ///M, GTR, Si, timbo, etc badges on their bone stock or riced out buckets should be ridiculed to the full extend it warrants, but tossing on tasteful badging on something as a homage to what's been done to it I think is alright.

And speaking of terrible car stuff, it's always fun to see a southerners reaction to a rusty undercarriage

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 18, 2014

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Honestly might not even be "terrible" because the car will probably NEVER see a track day but still...

if you haven't spotted it right away:

tow hook attached to a paper thin metal grille. if this were used to pull the disabled car around it would rip right off

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I have seen exactly 0% of 'lifestyle' tow hooks being on valid tow points, and if they were, weren't of suitable strength themselves.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

Honestly might not even be "terrible" because the car will probably NEVER see a track day but still...

if you haven't spotted it right away:

tow hook attached to a paper thin metal grille. if this were used to pull the disabled car around it would rip right off
That's not a towhook. It's a subway car grabhandle. It's a thing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Bajaha posted:

And speaking of terrible car stuff, it's always fun to see a southerners reaction to a rusty undercarriage

Is it obvious that I'm originally from Northern Wisconsin when I think, "That doesn't look too bad..."

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
For awhile there was a trend to attach a tow hook to the strut tower and then cut a slot in the hood so it sticks straight up. A friend of mine had that until he needed to use it, and it bent and mangled up the hood.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Emblems should never be added to a car, emblems are merely to annoy people when they buy a new car and have to remove stupid poo poo that should have never been attached to the car.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
How do you feel about a partial debadging? I'm thinking of taking off every emblem other than the Mazda "M"s and the "M-Edition"s on my miata. Or maybe only keeping the "M-Edition"s.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

InitialDave posted:

That's not a towhook. It's a subway car grabhandle. It's a thing.

hahah what

why

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Tactical Bonnet posted:

How do you feel about a partial debadging? I'm thinking of taking off every emblem other than the Mazda "M"s and the "M-Edition"s on my miata. Or maybe only keeping the "M-Edition"s.

Do you mod your car for other people or because you enjoy it? There is your answer.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

hahah what

why
It's a variant of the "look how low my car is by this thing scraping" and "lol drift charm", with a side order of "I stole something from public transport because I'm a rebel".

One of those things Japanese people do as a bit of a laugh that gets taken deadly serious by idiot ricers in other countries, to the point of them being elitist about people with "fake" ones.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Guys guys guys, everyone shut up and RESPECT WHAT SOMEONE DOES WITH THEIR VEHICLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXjzXODJAz0

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

Fun fact that is also terrible car stuff.

This is from a zillion pages ago but I think it's important to point out that not only was "Corinthian leather" made in New Jersey, it also wasn't actually leather (it was a synthetic made from vinyl), and Corinth has never been known for the quality of its leatherwork.

veedubfreak posted:

Emblems should never be added to a car, emblems are merely to annoy people when they buy a new car and have to remove stupid poo poo that should have never been attached to the car.

Say, what do you think of the dealers who glue their own 3D faux-chrome plastic emblems to every car they sell? Personally I like them because otherwise there's no way my neighbors would know I bought the HANK TAYLOR AUTOMALL edition.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 18, 2014

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

InitialDave posted:

One of those things Japanese people do as a bit of a laugh that gets taken deadly serious by idiot ricers in other countries, to the point of them being elitist about people with "fake" ones.

:stare:

I just cannot imagine having that much free time on my hands that something like that could ever be important to me.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ricers are loving stupid, what do you want me to tell you?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Das Volk posted:

:stare:

I just cannot imagine having that much free time on my hands that something like that could ever be important to me.

I'm really hoping that it's more along the lines of the guys who are turning huge profits from selling the "real" ones getting a two-for-one deal by convincing the idiots to spend however much for the "real deal" while keeping them happy by making them feel superior/elite. I really hope whoever manufacturers this crap doesn't honestly believe the claims they use to market it.

I wish I could make/sell useless overpriced crap for ricers but I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face trying to sell it.

Anybody got that link to the hilariously overpriced vanity tow hook, I remember it being something like $2000.00 or so, billet aluminum maybe? Can't remember if it was maybe made of some exotic metal or not.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
http://www.gotuning.com/product_info.php?products_id=1185

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

You know it's expensive when they show you close-up shots of the bolts.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Astonishing Wang posted:

You know it's expensive when they show you close-up shots of the bolts.

Babbys first tilt shift and babby's first attempt at bokeh.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Only 10 sets will be made guys, better hurry!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Duralumin? What's that, it's got a weird name so it's probably one of those elements in the extra rows, like Uranium or somethimg!

It probably has negative weight.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fart Pipe posted:

Only 10 sets will be made guys, better hurry!

It was added to their store in 2009, i'm sure they down to 8 by now.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

xzzy posted:

Duralumin?

Aluminum-alloy

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Powershift posted:

It was added to their store in 2009, i'm sure they down to 8 by now.

They sell one and they've made $2475 profit.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Spiffness posted:

Guys guys guys, everyone shut up and RESPECT WHAT SOMEONE DOES WITH THEIR VEHICLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXjzXODJAz0

I can not stand people who act like destroying a car is some sort of basic human right, and that giving negative feedback of any sort is basically like spitting on Jesus or something.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

... Destroying, really? Yeah, some of the mods aren't gonna match everyone's taste, but he's by no means destroying it. Hell, I like it! That hood is pretty rad. And in no way is he disallowing negative comments, he's just saying he doesn't give a gently caress. Hate it all you want, dude likes his car and he's happy with it. I'd rock it.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Spiffness posted:

Aluminum-alloy

7075 to be precise, probably T7351 or some variant of since it's machined out of one block

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

MrYenko posted:

An automotive repair should never, ever, EVER involve three self tapping sheet metal screws and a dozen pop rivets.

Ever.

The screws are there primarily to hold the cap in place while the rivet holes are drilled. The kits we used to get from Chrysler also came with a large tube of industrial strength JB Weld type epoxy to slather all over what's left of the tower prior to dropping the cap on and riveting it down. It was messy as poo poo and the fumes were horrid even with the shop doors open. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make without it (if any at all), but it at least made pre-placing all the rivets a bit easier.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Spiffness posted:

Aluminum-alloy

:thejoke:

I'm not sure how much more obvious I could have made it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012