Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stavrogin
Feb 6, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Hybrids are great if you like the worst parts of a lot of different bikes.

Buy a real bike.

Can you explain what makes a bike a hybrid, and why that's so bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Stavrogin posted:

Bike nerds hate that they're not the bike equivalent of minmaxing your 3rd edition D'n'D character to be able to do 80 damage per round.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Finally moving from my recreational skates to something more suited for longer distance trail skating and training.

K2 V02 100 X Boa

2x100mm in the back, 2x90mm in the front. Should provide a good amount of speed without sacrificing too much control and stability. That brake is coming off immediately.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SLOSifl posted:

Finally moving from my recreational skates to something more suited for longer distance trail skating and training.

K2 V02 100 X Boa

2x100mm in the back, 2x90mm in the front. Should provide a good amount of speed without sacrificing too much control and stability. That brake is coming off immediately.

Trail skating? As in, on dirt?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Trails, as in paved trails for biking, skating, etc. There's a bunch around Pittsburgh, including a nice 6 mile loop along the Monongahela river. Although these won't handle actual dirt paths (the bearing wear alone would make this a bad idea), the extra wheel diameter will help with debris handling a bit. The main point is to get better gliding and top speed though.

edit:

wigbot v2.0 posted:

People still use roller blades?
I thought the same thing a few months ago, but found a cheap pair easily and got back into it quickly. There's quite a few good local trails, skateparks and clubs, which I was surprised to find. I see a lot of people out rollerblading actually.

It's a fun exercise that gets me out of the house, and I had no problem picking the basics back up after a long break. I was proficient back in the day, and am getting pretty confident again after a lot of work. Also losing weight and feeling better in general, so even if I have to hear "lol rollerblades" sometimes, it's worth it.

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 17:27 on Aug 18, 2014

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

A

lot

of

books

for

school.

I am actually looking forward to reading pretty much all of these at least.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Leatherbound BN Collectors Edition. I've been collecting these, they're so pretty :allears:. I have the Dune and Foundation books from this collection also

wigbot v2.0
Oct 10, 2008

Hales
People still use roller blades?

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
Got my kid her first real bike last Friday.

Didn't say it was a good bike :smith: I'm a poor.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I saw that 8 mummies exhibit at the British Museum, it was excellent.

Totes magotes jelly of an ancient Egypt course, it's where i nerd out the most.

FredLordofCheese
Aug 16, 2005

Hey there, here's your pizza, may I ask why you are wearing that sheer robe?

Stavrogin posted:

Its basically a bike that is meant to do lots of different things but it doesn't do anything well. They also tend to use cheap parts that break quickly and they are not as comfortable for rides longer than 10 miles. 9 times out of 10 they will be abandoned for a different bike within 6 months and dumped on craigslist for a fraction of the cost. That all being said the hybrids they picked are not horrible. As long as they start riding and have fun more power to them. We can be smug later when they ask the bike thread what road bike to buy. :v:

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

The best bike is the one you ride, as long as she has fun it doesn't matter.

I just bought Solarcaine aloe spray because I got a sweet sunburn on the backs of my legs yesterday during a half century ride. Works great.

http://www.amazon.com/Solarcaine-Aloe-Extra-Relief-Spray/dp/B000052XQK/

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I bought a hybrid for tooling around my neighborhood with my 9 year old and it's been exactly what I wanted. I didn't want a beach cruiser, and I don't want to be the dad on a serious road bike circling through the cul de sacs either. If I thought I was ever going to own a pair of bicycle shorts, I would have purchased a proper road bike.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I bought a hybrid for tooling around my neighborhood with my 9 year old and it's been exactly what I wanted. I didn't want a beach cruiser, and I don't want to be the dad on a serious road bike circling through the cul de sacs either. If I thought I was ever going to own a pair of bicycle shorts, I would have purchased a proper road bike.

Yup same, except my kid is younger, but seriously, when I feel like investing in padded bicycle diapers and jerseys then I'll get a 'real' bike or something, but for riding with my kid to the park down the street this 200 dollar piece of poo poo I got from Target is just fine.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I've been considering a hybrid too. I live 5km from work but it's up a large mountain and I just can't do that poo poo at 8:30 in the morning. They've finally put in some decent bike lanes too.

FredLordofCheese
Aug 16, 2005

FishBulb posted:

Yup same, except my kid is younger, but seriously, when I feel like investing in padded bicycle diapers and jerseys then I'll get a 'real' bike or something, but for riding with my kid to the park down the street this 200 dollar piece of poo poo I got from Target is just fine.

That is awesome, as long as it meets your needs, isn't dangerous (Walmart bikes are death traps, and Target bikes have a hilarious history of being assembled incorrectly) and gets you and your kids out riding and having fun you should ride whatever. More bikes out on the road are better than less!

Just be careful of those cheap hybrids, avoid any hybrid with front shocks, and replace those adjustable stems sooner rather than later. Also sometimes a quick trip to Craigslist will net you something twice as good for half as much. Come on over to the bike thread if you have any questions, problems, or need any advice.

Reverse Centaur posted:

I've been considering a hybrid too. I live 5km from work but it's up a large mountain and I just can't do that poo poo at 8:30 in the morning. They've finally put in some decent bike lanes too.

If you have a chance get over to your local bike shop and test ride a bunch of things. With the right gearing you can bike straight up a wall without too much work. Try more than hybrids even if it's just to re-affirm your choice. Just avoid any with shocks or adjustable stems.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I got some useful advice from the bike thread when I bought my hybrid (in between the "If you buy a hybrid, kill yourself" posts). Made sure I had a lockout on the shock, for example. But what's with the drawback of an adjustable stem?

edit: I assume they fail in some way. Possibly dangerously?

FredLordofCheese
Aug 16, 2005

Yeah I got some useful advice from the bike thread when I bought my hybrid (in between the "If you buy a hybrid, kill yourself" posts). Made sure I had a lockout on the shock, for example. But what's with the drawback of an adjustable stem?

Yeah that is exactly it. Stems with a pivot in the middle create a huge weak point in the center of one of the most important load bearing sections of the bike. When it snaps you can brake gently while holding the detached handlebars, and hurl yourself into a patch of grass or bushes before the bike steers itself into traffic. One of my cousins knocked out a tooth because his snapped while he was standing and pedaling and he face planted on the top of the broken stem.

All stems are adjustable up and down, and you can buy new stems of varying lengths and degrees of rise for less than $30.

Adjustable stems are also a sign that the bike is low quality. Most higher end bikes will avoid adjustable stems because a good bike shop will make sure you get the stem that fits you and how you ride, rather than a "one size fits all" stem.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

They're ugly and usually of dubious quality. It's just one more point of failure that offers no advantage over getting a stem that actually fits you.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Oliver Peoples gold tortoiseshell "Townsend" glasses. Sort of wishing I picked a rounder frame but these are still awesome.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

FredLordofCheese posted:

If you have a chance get over to your local bike shop and test ride a bunch of things. With the right gearing you can bike straight up a wall without too much work. Try more than hybrids even if it's just to re-affirm your choice. Just avoid any with shocks or adjustable stems.

Yeah I used to ride my 21 speed up the same mountain to school, definitely possible but not exactly pleasant. I feel terribly guilty (and fat) driving such a short distance though and they're about to tear down my covered parking to build a condo.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Pretty addicted to this thing.

FredLordofCheese
Aug 16, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

Yeah I used to ride my 21 speed up the same mountain to school, definitely possible but not exactly pleasant. I feel terribly guilty (and fat) driving such a short distance though and they're about to tear down my covered parking to build a condo.

Bike tech has changed pretty significantly in the last 15 years, you might be surprised at what you can do now! Plus every time you go up the hill you get a little better.

I started biking 2 miles to work last year and it would take 15+ minutes, now I can do my 6 mile commute in just over 18 minutes. I also lost more than 2 inches on my waist and fit into a bunch of pants I thought were gone forever.

Content:
Got my fiancee a Nomiku sous vide machine at the beginning of the month. I need to bike more to work off all the delicious food I have been eating.

We just had 24 hour slow cooked pork shoulder yesterday and it was jaw droppingly good. We made 10 lbs and shared with friends.
http://www.nomiku.com/

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

FredLordofCheese posted:

Got my fiancee a Nomiku sous vide machine at the beginning of the month. I need to bike more to work off all the delicious food I have been eating.

I thought so hard about join that Nomiku kickstarter. It's cool to hear that people can buy and are getting them now and that they work well. Really need to pick one up sometime.

My content:

Blendy has a new favorite as of 00:32 on Aug 19, 2014

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

FredLordofCheese posted:

Content:

We just had 24 hour slow cooked pork shoulder yesterday and it was jaw droppingly good. We made 10 lbs and shared with friends.
http://www.nomiku.com/

My fiancee and I also took the sous vide dive!

Picked up one of these:

and one of these:

I have never eaten chicken so tender, burgers so delicious, or steak so perfectly cooked. Worth every penny! I made her some steaks on Saturday and we still can't believe we went so many years without one.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've seen those robo cooking devices before but what is their deal? Do they just circulate water or what? $20 is cheap enough for me to get one.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Inzombiac posted:

I've seen those robo cooking devices before but what is their deal? Do they just circulate water or what? $20 is cheap enough for me to get one.

They circulate it and keep it at a precise temperature so you can cook things very slowly.

And if you see one for 20 dollars jump on it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

$200*
I am illiterate.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Went into the City last Saturday because I was doing something up at the Met later in the day, so I headed downtown first.

From The Strand

Tampa by Alyssa Nutting

The Spectular Now by Tim Tharp

To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee (which I have never read)

The Archaeology of Home: An Epic Set on a Thousand Square Feet of the Lower East Side by Katharine Greider

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini

From Forbidden Planet

Hip Hop Family Tree Vol 1

Hip Hop Family Tree Vol 2

Also two issues of United States of Murder, last months and this months

These sneakers from the Adidas Performance Store.

I'd say that it was a good day.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Been thinking of getting an electric grill for a while, and the reviews on this one were pretty good.

Only other thing I need to buy is one of them fish filet holder things so I can grill fish filets without em breaking apart on me when I try to turn em over.

Well, that and the fish filets and the various things for marinades, etc.

Hoorah for grilling!

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

screenwritersblues posted:

These sneakers from the Adidas Performance Store.

I'd say that it was a good day.

These are the poo poo, I want these.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Whelp, there went $149 as I have just kickstarted version 2. Thanks jerk!

FredLordofCheese
Aug 16, 2005

Bunk Rogers posted:

Sucker! Not really though, version 1 is amazing and version 2 addresses the only niggling issues I have with the 1st one.

So far I have cooked some drat tasty chicken (though I hosed up searing the skin) the best steak I have ever made, followed the next week by the best steak I have ever made. Over the weekend was the pork shoulder on the bone that I could cut with a flimsy plastic picnic fork.

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

My fiancee and I also took the sous vide dive!

I have never eaten chicken so tender, burgers so delicious, or steak so perfectly cooked. Worth every penny! I made her some steaks on Saturday and we still can't believe we went so many years without one.

loving A right, we are using it 2-3 nights a week and it makes meals so good. We found that you can combine it with a slow cooker as well. Cook the meat in the sous vide machine, cook the sauce in the slow cooker, run them both concurrently so they finish at the same time, combine both in a pan and sear then eat. Not gonna lie, I am mostly turning into an exercise fiend so that I can eat whatever the gently caress I want and not have to roll myself down the street.

Inzombiac posted:

If you can wait until March 2015, the version 2.0 of the Nomiku is on kickstarter for $149: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nomiku/new-nomiku-sous-vide-wifi-connected-and-made-in-th

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Kids don't care, she'll love it. Bikes are the best.

Just promise me you'll never buy your child one of those 'pretending to be a motorcross bike' ones please. They weigh an absolute ton and everyone knows trying to pedal a bike that weighs twice what you do is no fun and one of the quickest ways to remove the fun from bike riding.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I bought some psychonaut patches:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I used to bike to work but I was always sweaty.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bunk Rogers posted:

There's a very active sous vide thread in Goons With Spoons that can help get you started with ideas and techniques.

My favorite sv application is 48 hour short ribs (at 131.5f).

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
2 basic set GURPS 4e books:

Now I only need friends!
:smith:

Spyderco Sharpmaker:

So excited about the sharpener. After I saw the instructional video and how versatile and clever the design is I had to get it. I've been eyeing it and other sharpening solutions for a while.
Our kitchen knives are gonna be so sharp, it's gonna be hella sweet cutting vegetables.
:chef:

Edit: up to now I've been using the brilliant but very small Fallkniven DC3 and polishing with a Belgian blue stone that I bought several years ago.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Hellbeard posted:

:smith:

Spyderco Sharpmaker:

So excited about the sharpener. After I saw the instructional video and how versatile and clever the design is I had to get it. I've been eyeing it and other sharpening solutions for a while.
Our kitchen knives are gonna be so sharp, it's gonna be hella sweet cutting vegetables.
:chef:

Edit: up to now I've been using the brilliant but very small Fallkniven DC3 and polishing with a Belgian blue stone that I bought several years ago.
Just be careful that you don't blunt the tip of the knife, it's a pain in the rear end to get it back to sharp once you do. It will allow you to shave with a pocket knife if you're so inclined though, it will get them scary sharp.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Astrobastard posted:

8 of these

8 of these

1 of these

It's Diablo time

belgian ales loving own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Slim Killington posted:

These are the poo poo, I want these.

I dig these a lot too. They seem like a decent mix of athletic and casual shoe. I do a lot of walking, especially when I go to theme parks (I live in Orlando) so these might be right up my alley.