Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FactsAreUseless posted:

Plutonis and I are Imp Zone superstars.

an excellent argument against anyone else ever posting there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Mystic Mongol posted:

Zak S regularly sends people to harass / stalk / menace people. Mikan decided elfgames were not worth being called in the middle of the night and threatened.

A bunch of other things happened too but who cares.

And at the same time he will state over and over that it's totally out of his control that people do this when he's never told them not to after ranting against and posting the names of his 'enemies' and has tacitly supported them by continuing the same sort of, "here is a list of people I dislike DO WITH IT WHAT YOU WILL," kind of bullshit that lets him claim that no really he's never asked people to harass his perceived enemies.

Zak S is pretty much nothing but a huge cowardly rear end in a top hat.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

Wait, is this a real thing? I can't believe that enough people have fond interest in, or even remember, Lost Colony to merit a Savage Worlds conversion.

I'm completely okay with them completing the series, ever with as bad as the original Lost Colony was. Given how they handled the timeline in HoE Reloaded (where all the lovely metaplot stuff from The Unity happened before the game "starts") I'm curious as to how they're going to handle Lost Colony.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kai Tave posted:

I would actually like to see a World of Darkness game that does encourage players to turn into a dragon in the middle of Times Square, something like Darksiders: the Early Days.

Well, apparently Scion's getting a new edition. Maybe, along with mechanics that might possibly actually function, they'll also talk about using your superhero powers in front of people this time.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Okay, I didn't know that about the metaplot. Full confession time, in my younger days I had a rather extensive collection of Deadlands and Hell on Earth books and while I thought that Hell on Earth wasn't inherently a terrible idea for a game (Fallout but also with magic and actual zombies) the metaplot was absolutely terrible, but it basically permeated the entire game where every bit of setting backstory was all building up to the one (insipid and terrible) climactic adventure topping it all off.

I'm curious about HoE Reloaded now. What's the general state of, well, everything? If it's taking place post-Unity then the Reckoners (aka the reason everything is terrible in the first place) are off on an entirely different world and the various evil empires have all had their poo poo kicked in to various degrees. So what's up?

edit; also I will laugh if some new edition of Scion comes out and basically does Exalted better than Exalted. I mean, I may laugh at the new edition of Scion anyway but for different reasons.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

Waffleman_ posted:

I would rather not RPG as a literal otherkin.

So I guess changeling is WAY out of the question then.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

I'm curious about HoE Reloaded now. What's the general state of, well, everything? If it's taking place post-Unity then the Reckoners (aka the reason everything is terrible in the first place) are off on an entirely different world and the various evil empires have all had their poo poo kicked in to various degrees. So what's up?

Mostly reconstruction and rebuilding. Monsters and minions of the Reckoners are still around, of course, but now that they're gone, Raven's dead, and the big battle has happened everyone is starting to relax a bit.

All the power groups are still around, but now that they're freed from the shackles of the metaplot most of them are actually trying to get stuff done and get things rebuilt now.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
These New New World of Darkness things all sound like lesser versions of Monsterhearts, even though I know the old WoD and stuff like Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines predates MH. Is Avery McDaldno being consulted for these?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Davin Valkri posted:

These New New World of Darkness things all sound like lesser versions of Monsterhearts, even though I know the old WoD and stuff like Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines predates MH. Is Avery McDaldno being consulted for these?

I'd say that the main difference between the World of Darkness and Monsterhearts is that the World of Darkness aims for horror, while Monsterhearts aims for tragedy. One of these games may also be more successful at systemizing these themes.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Darwinism posted:

And at the same time he will state over and over that it's totally out of his control that people do this when he's never told them not to after ranting against and posting the names of his 'enemies' and has tacitly supported them by continuing the same sort of, "here is a list of people I dislike DO WITH IT WHAT YOU WILL," kind of bullshit that lets him claim that no really he's never asked people to harass his perceived enemies.

Zak S is pretty much nothing but a huge cowardly rear end in a top hat.

:sigh:

I don't know how to feel anymore other than hopelessly angry.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

InfiniteJesters posted:

Welcome to my world. You get used to it after a while.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

InfiniteJesters posted:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I enjoy RPGs

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
monster

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mors Rattus posted:

Well, apparently Scion's getting a new edition. Maybe, along with mechanics that might possibly actually function, they'll also talk about using your superhero powers in front of people this time.

So will it be more racist or less racist? Also, more or less sexist?

I'm guessing it will be less so in all categories because the Onyx Path people seem like good people. They actually might get some people who know something about Japanese mythology and be creative enough to not make every goddess a prostitute. That not only demeans women but also completely misinterprets sacred prostitution, which may not have even existed.

They should just take the concept of Scion and completely remake it because there is nothing worthwhile to keep from it other than the premise that you're a non-YA Percy Jackson knockoff.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 19, 2014

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Arivia posted:

That was pretty much literally the plot of Elminster In Hell.

Being Elmalkovich?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

So will it be more racist or less racist? Also, more or less sexist?

I'm guessing it will be less so in all categories because the Onyx Path people seem like good people. They actually might get some people who know something about Japanese mythology and be creative enough to not make every goddess a prostitute. That not only demeans women but also completely misinterprets sacred prostitution, which may not have even existed.

They should just take the concept to Scion and completely remake it because there is nothing worthwhile to keep from it other than the premise that you're a non-YA Percy Jackson knockoff.

I love Scion to pieces, but it definitely has a lot of problems. Mechanically, most of those problems come from its use of the storyteller system, and its high emphasis on combat mechanics and powers. I think that transitioning it to a FATE system might work better. Or maybe make a PbtA hack.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Every RPG should be transitioned to FATE or a PbtA hack.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

Like Evil Mastermind said, it's mainly rebuilding and trying to figure out what's next. Things have changed, some for good (The Combine is too busy rebuilding it's automation army to send metal backup for their Black Hat patrols, so they're a bit easier to take down, Silas is dealing with a mutant populace who don't see him as the Mutant Messiah anymore, and Joan came out of hiding to move to Junkyard and open up a Mutant Welcome Center), some bad (The Convoy got wasted in the Harvest, so many settlements just lost their supply train and a whole lot of refugees are rushing to Junkyard, straining it's resources).

And Raven is still alive, licking his wounds and hanging out with the Rattlers after the Big Battle of The Harvest. At GenCon, Pinnacle announced (besides the HoE:R Companion, with more player goodies such as Arcane Backgrounds for the Witch, Cyborg, and Bibliophile) a Plot Point book called The Worm Turns, which deals with Raven coming back for Round Two, and probably ends with the players putting him down once and for all.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I only play classic indie roleplaying games like Dogs in the Vineyard, Imp Zone's official TTRPG of choice.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Galaga Galaxian posted:

let's be fair, other good systems are possible

they just largely don't exist yet

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014

Arivia posted:

Let's get back on topic. What cool trad games poo poo are people excited for from GenCon?

I played a hangout game via anti-gencon of Swords Without Master and I'm pretty sure it's the best game of the year. It wasn't even a perfect session or anything, just after the fact all I could think was that I just played an amazing game whose mechanics work far better than just about anything else at delivering a particular kind of experience.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Neither FATE or PbtA are great for mega-crunchy, tactical based games. Fortunately 4E exists, and I think it's pretty good. I'm prepared to be wrong, though!

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
FATE is pretty bad, though. I don't think generic mechanical systems being stretched to fit specific fiction needs is really a good idea in general.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Asymmetrikon posted:

FATE is pretty bad, though.

This is like the first time I heard someone say the Stones suck. What's your beef with FATE?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Tulpa posted:

I played a hangout game via anti-gencon of Swords Without Master and I'm pretty sure it's the best game of the year. It wasn't even a perfect session or anything, just after the fact all I could think was that I just played an amazing game whose mechanics work far better than just about anything else at delivering a particular kind of experience.

The last time I wanted to run The City of Fire and Coin we had all just flunked out of drumming up a good session of microscope, so we agreed to play a board game instead. This is the first time I've thought of it since then, but hearing you praise it reminds me to get it in back in queue. I think it might have a better chance at a different venue than the one I tried last time.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Zurui posted:

What's your beef with FATE?

Uh, sounds like he gave it.

Asymmetrikon posted:

I don't think generic mechanical systems being stretched to fit specific fiction needs is really a good idea in general.

And its a reasonably valid complaint/criticism/opinion.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Zurui posted:

This is like the first time I heard someone say the Stones suck. What's your beef with FATE?

Reducing all narrative effects down to 'you get +1 on this roll' is not terribly interesting; the whole system in general feels just too crunchy to be fun-story-time and too loose and wishy-washy to be a good, rigorous game. Mostly, it's that I personally think that the system of 'stats' + 'skills' is pretty terrible, though that's not a thing that's FATE-specific.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Uh, sounds like he gave it.

And its a reasonably valid complaint/criticism/opinion.

That too. Again, not something FATE-specific; the same criticisms could be levied at other games like d20 or GURPS.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I only own FAE. Does regular FATE have both stats and skills?

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

No, that was bad phrasing on my part.

I suppose I mean more that trying to break down characterization into some discrete set of 'skills' which are all (conceptually) equal and then assigning numbers to them is probably not the best way to go about making a game that has really unique characters and compelling narratives.

Asymmetrikon fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 19, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
It...shouldn't? As far as I'm aware, FATE only uses stats. Some versions like Atomic Robo can use groupings of stats, but they're still stats.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
I just got into Apocalypse World-based games because the character generation was so much faster than with other systems. :saddowns:

I still like chunkier systems, but on the other hand, having tried to make a character in Shadowrun 5E for a PBP game here I've realized that tabulating fictional expenses for fictional characters isn't a lot of fun, even if fictional shopping *is*.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Davin Valkri posted:

It...shouldn't? As far as I'm aware, FATE only uses stats. Some versions like Atomic Robo can use groupings of stats, but they're still stats.

Skills, not stats. FATE systems usually have skill lists which you buy competencies from.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Asymmetrikon posted:

Skills, not stats. FATE systems usually have skill lists which you buy competencies from.

That's what I meant, durrrr :downsgun:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Asymmetrikon posted:

I suppose I mean more that trying to break down characterization into some discrete set of 'skills' which are all (conceptually) equal and then assigning numbers to them is probably not the best way to go about making a game that has really unique characters and compelling narratives.

I think I agree that conceptually equal skills/stats was a mistake. I imagine it's an overcompensation for avoiding the opposite problem where the ruleset/DM determines some priority for non-equal skillsets but doesn't or is incapable of expressing it to the players. And then the game proceeds to treat all the skills as if they're equal during character generation. :argh:

So, what are the other options? I can think of two, I bet if it wasn't so late I could think of more.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Well, PBTA is certainly a step in the right direction; instead of giving all characters some pool of 'skills' that they can do, define each individual by their unique abilities. You also have other systems, like In A Wicked Age's methods of approach, or something more freeform like PDQ (which is really just a weird version of FATE where aspects replace skills, which I still don't really like). You can even explore new territory like Nobilis or Polaris did. RPGs don't have to stick to dice + number on your sheet.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
The problem with PBTA, for me, is that it doesn't quite naturally do multitalented characters quite as well.

On the other hand, sometimes it does multiclassing in a beautifully natural way. How does a Chopper leader become a Hardholder? He and his buddies stop riding around and decide to start a civilization, that's how!

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Dedman Walkin posted:

Like Evil Mastermind said, it's mainly rebuilding and trying to figure out what's next. Things have changed, some for good (The Combine is too busy rebuilding it's automation army to send metal backup for their Black Hat patrols, so they're a bit easier to take down, Silas is dealing with a mutant populace who don't see him as the Mutant Messiah anymore, and Joan came out of hiding to move to Junkyard and open up a Mutant Welcome Center), some bad (The Convoy got wasted in the Harvest, so many settlements just lost their supply train and a whole lot of refugees are rushing to Junkyard, straining it's resources).

And Raven is still alive, licking his wounds and hanging out with the Rattlers after the Big Battle of The Harvest. At GenCon, Pinnacle announced (besides the HoE:R Companion, with more player goodies such as Arcane Backgrounds for the Witch, Cyborg, and Bibliophile) a Plot Point book called The Worm Turns, which deals with Raven coming back for Round Two, and probably ends with the players putting him down once and for all.

Will the characters actually put Raven down or are they going to accompany some super NPC who manages to do the job for them?

I haven't paid much attention to the reloaded stuff, so I'm wondering do the new reloaded books have as much metaplot as the classic books?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

DocBubonic posted:

Will the characters actually put Raven down or are they going to accompany some super NPC who manages to do the job for them?

I haven't paid much attention to the reloaded stuff, so I'm wondering do the new reloaded books have as much metaplot as the classic books?

The Reloaded books have less metaplot. For example, in The Flood, the Deadlands Reloaded book covering Lost Angels, the adventures in that lead up the the players killing off Grimme.

• Locked thread