Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

u lose the cpus ability to run dual channel memory for the maxxx performance iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmm

so if i got two more 4gb cards would matching speed be sufficent

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

echinopsis posted:

why? is it a bad idea or just not a good idea

i dont want to spend the money on 2x8gb cards. 2x4gb would be better i agree but significantly more money i think

u have to ask yourself y are u getting more ram. i dont think you will notice any improvement in your computing with an extra 8gb stick. u migth juuust notice with 2 fours, but probably not that either. are u running out of ram?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

bobbilljim posted:

i mean just like add 2 8s now and throw away your 4s or add 2 4s and when u next need to upgrade buy a new pc

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
maybe. this unreal engine is using at least 5gb and it might use more soon? i dint know how to work out if i am "running out of ram" as such

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
on windows a "page fault" is where the appl needs to page itself because of memoryu issue?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

you don;t need any more ram, imho

plus its a good thing if u are using like 95% of your ram, otherwise u have to much anyway

i have 16gb but only because i like to waste money on my computer. its hardly an improvemnt over 8 and i dont use more than 8 ever

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

echinopsis posted:

on windows a "page fault" is where the appl needs to page itself because of memoryu issue?
no

pram
Jun 10, 2001

echinopsis posted:

hi app is a registered trademark of apple corporation please refrain from referring to applications for windows operating systems using that term

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

bobbilljim posted:

in that case don;t upgrade it al all, 8gb is fine for shitposting and jerkin it

poo poo most ive ever actually used in my sick rig is 6gb. i dont play any really cutting edge games or edit vids though, so

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
what the gently caress is linksys smart wifi and why is my router suddenly running it

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

what the gently caress is linksys smart wifi and why is my router suddenly running it
you can access your home network from the cloud

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

hi app is a registered trademark of apple corporation please refrain from referring to applications for windows operating systems using that term

what about appz

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

bobbilljim posted:

you don;t need any more ram, imho

plus its a good thing if u are using like 95% of your ram, otherwise u have to much anyway

i have 16gb but only because i like to waste money on my computer. its hardly an improvemnt over 8 and i dont use more than 8 ever

lookit this scrub who isn't constantly compiling things and running several vm's at the same time

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

echinopsis posted:

what about appz

hi appz is a registered trademark of MGA Entertainment, c/o Bratz Inc. please refrain from referring to applications for windows operating systems using that term

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

focal ischemia posted:

lookit this scrub who isn't constantly compiling things and running several vm's at the same time

my work machine is using over 10 gb of ram, for exactly these reasons :smugmrgw:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

is there any free wordpress/wordpress-like site that lets me use a custom domain? wordpress wants $13/y for that and lol no

(not tumblr)

pram
Jun 10, 2001
blogger lol

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
haven't had any problems with xenserver this week

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

pram posted:

blogger lol
wow i somehow forgot this existed
thanks

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

anthonypants posted:

you can access your home network from the cloud

you and everyone else.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

pram posted:

i didnt know you could install it any other way than as a service lol

WE FOUND THE STUPIDEST WAY POSSIBLE. DON'T HIRE PEOPLE WITH ONLY LINUX EXPERIENCE.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I can't remember if I posted this before or not but since GPT came up I will restate it. If you're going to use the intel ssd caching with a drive formatted as gpt, you need to leave at least 10 mb free at the end of the drive. the intel software uses that space to hold pointers to the ssd it is caching the volume with, and if that space isn't there then the option to enable ssd caching is completely missing from the software. no error or notification reported to you. this doesn't happen with mbr volumes because they leave enough slack space at the end even when you "fill" the drive with your volume for the pointers to fit.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
okay.. my mom's cousin left a voicemail asking for advice getting a new computer, and she said I'M NOT GETTING MAC. so she sees me as the go-to-guy for computer advice, but i haven't touched a PC for years. she's like "i don't know if i should get a dell, or a toshiba". how the gently caress am i supposed to know?

so anyone know of a dependable cheap PC she could get these days?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

okay.. my mom's cousin left a voicemail asking for advice getting a new computer, and she said I'M NOT GETTING MAC. so she sees me as the go-to-guy for computer advice, but i haven't touched a PC for years. she's like "i don't know if i should get a dell, or a toshiba". how the gently caress am i supposed to know?

get a mac op

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Panty Saluter posted:

get a mac op

i agree and i really want to talk her into it. what do you mean by op? that means "opening poster" or "opening post" just in case you didn't know

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
gawd she's really worried because she "doesn't know how to use macs" but all she'll have to do is turn it on and hit the little safari browser icon and boom that's pretty much it

really funny though she said "i heard smart phones and PCs aren't really compatible and it's the same thing with iPhones and Macs. is this true?"

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

sever

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

get an dell and make here buy the highest level warranty thing because that includes next business day repair stuff from dell if she fucks things up hth

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

gawd she's really worried because she "doesn't know how to use macs" but all she'll have to do is turn it on and hit the little safari browser icon and boom that's pretty much it

really funny though she said "i heard smart phones and PCs aren't really compatible and it's the same thing with iPhones and Macs. is this true?"

please dont encourage people to use a lovely browser thanks

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Nintendo Kid posted:

get an dell and make here buy the highest level warranty thing because that includes next business day repair stuff from dell if she fucks things up hth

I don't normally agree with the mech of fishes. . .

but yeah, get a dell with the highest level of warranty and accidental protection you can get. I ain't trying to shame apple care, but if you spill a maragrita on a laptop, you better hope its a dell with accidental protection.

*quick edit*

don't for the love of god get an inspiron. . . just get a latitude to be honest.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Nintendo Kid posted:

good to know. i looked up the most reliable computers and all sites i saw started with apple :smug:
dell and asus are always neck and neck but HP always comes in third forth

Apple: 19%
Dell: 12%
Asus: 11%
HP: 11%
Acer: 9%
Lenovo: 9%
Toshiba: 9%
Samsung: 7%
Sony: 6%
Alienware: 3%
Fujitsu: 1%
MSI: 1%
Panasonic: 1%

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/buying-advice/laptop/3419512/most-reliable-laptop-makers-revealed/

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

good to know. i looked up the most reliable computers and all sites i saw started with apple :smug:
dell and asus are always neck and neck but HP always comes in third

Apple: 19%
Dell: 12%
Asus: 11%
HP: 11%
Acer: 9%
Lenovo: 9%
Toshiba: 9%
Samsung: 7%
Sony: 6%
Alienware: 3%
Fujitsu: 1%
MSI: 1%
Panasonic: 1%

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/buying-advice/laptop/3419512/most-reliable-laptop-makers-revealed/

dell owns alienware, hope this helps

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

enotnert posted:

dell owns alienware, hope this helps

well the division that handles alienware really sucks apparently

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

well the division that handles alienware really sucks apparently

Yeah, i've got one professor hellbent on buying XPS desktops (which are based on alienware stuff). As far as the xps ultrabooks go, outside of the touchpad feeling odd after having macbooks for several years they're solid, and support is handled by dell main.

but seriously, gently caress 99% of poo poo labeled "xps"

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
Seriously though, never buy the dell intro "consumer" or xps/alienware "prosumer" poo poo. . . unless it's an ultrabook.

you'll be in for a shitload of pain.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
yeah its really sweet how the dell accidental protection just straight up covers everything short of intentionally taking a hammer to the device.

though i do have a dell xps laptop that owns because it was just the upper-mid-range studio series renamed to xps

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Nintendo Kid posted:

yeah its really sweet how the dell accidental protection just straight up covers everything short of intentionally taking a hammer to the device.

though i do have a dell xps laptop that owns because it was just the upper-mid-range studio series renamed to xps

Yeah, I never argue with dell accidental protection. I require it for laptops I buy where I work. I had some grad students doing some water study out on the lake during a stormy day, laptop took a dip.

Outside of having to dry the hard drive in rich to recover data, dell pretty much sent out a brand new laptop next day when I explained what happened.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

she "doesn't know how to use macs"

I don't want to encourage people to use macs, but for most folks they don't know how to use windows either

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
arrange for her to use windows 8 for a few days and then tell her to get a mac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:
8.1 is a completely tolerable OS so is server 2012 r2 2012 would be ok except over the windows key doesn't automatically map to a rdp window.