Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

I only play classic indie roleplaying games like Dogs in the Vineyard, Imp Zone's official TTRPG of choice.

DitV is an actual good game, though.

Asymmetrikon posted:

Reducing all narrative effects down to 'you get +1 on this roll' is not terribly interesting; the whole system in general feels just too crunchy to be fun-story-time and too loose and wishy-washy to be a good, rigorous game.

It gets better when you use FAE and bolt on some actually mechanically-rigorous and -interesting subsystem onto the game, but unfortunately very few people do that. Instead, people have a tendency to treat Fate Core as an actual game, and not as a toolkit/framework for making games, so they just run it vanilla and it's incredibly boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

After getting familiar with them, it struck me that Approaches would've made a better base for Fate Core, with Skills being an optional replacement/expansion. The big, fat Skill list seems tonally inconsistent with Aspects and Stunts. But maybe that would've been too blatantly story-gamey, preventing the insidious conspiracy from tricking real roleplayers into liking Fate.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MartianAgitator posted:

Being Elmalkovich?

Yep! Pretty much the entire book is Elminster trapped in his memories and tormented by devils.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Between the D&D Next consultancy fiasco, the Zoe Quinn fiasco in video game circles, and the Ferguson riots, I'm starting to think that the consultancy fiasco is just the tip of some full-moon-lunacy iceberg and lots of wildly-directed prejudice. And hiding behind accusations of prejudice.

I'm not saying they're related or caused by each other, but taken together it's clear a lot of people are close to their boiling points. Although I think the consultancy fiasco has been going on for a little while longer than Ferguson, yes?

-----

Anyway. I wish my job hours and pay were better so that I could afford Legos and actually have time to play Mobile Frame Zero. :saddowns:

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 19, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I guess I'm predisposed against hateful assholes. I don't see how this is the same as targeting Mikan for harassment or shooting an unarmed black kid.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

moths posted:

I guess I'm predisposed against hateful assholes. I don't see how this is the same as targeting Mikan for harassment or shooting an unarmed black kid.

Some of the anger directed at Zoe Quinn has been pretty sexist in nature, but conversely some of the things she's done are giving feminism a bad name. EDIT: Or at least become an eyesore in general.

What I meant was that they're all ugly situations with underlying fuels of hate and intolerance, although I'll agree with you that Zoe Quinn's scandal isn't quite as horrifically large-scale or high-stakes as the Ferguson riots or even Consultancygate.

Don't mind me. I'm just trying to make sense out of some of the horrible things going on lately. :sigh:

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 19, 2014

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
What actions of Zoe Quinns have given feminism a bad name?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Uh, sounds like he gave it.

And its a reasonably valid complaint/criticism/opinion.
The problem with that argument is that its not really a generic system. Its emulating a specific style of fiction that if you go outside of the bounds the game just refuses to work.

Asymmetrikon posted:

Well, PBTA is certainly a step in the right direction; instead of giving all characters some pool of 'skills' that they can do, define each individual by their unique abilities. You also have other systems, like In A Wicked Age's methods of approach, or something more freeform like PDQ (which is really just a weird version of FATE where aspects replace skills, which I still don't really like). You can even explore new territory like Nobilis or Polaris did. RPGs don't have to stick to dice + number on your sheet.
Fate arguably does the unique ability thing better than the PBTA with Aspects and Stunts. Lemon Curdistan is right in that you don't get any of that with the default game or its kind of vague as to what that means.

Plague of Hats posted:

After getting familiar with them, it struck me that Approaches would've made a better base for Fate Core, with Skills being an optional replacement/expansion. The big, fat Skill list seems tonally inconsistent with Aspects and Stunts. But maybe that would've been too blatantly story-gamey, preventing the insidious conspiracy from tricking real roleplayers into liking Fate.
If I had to guess I would imagine it was Fred Hicks doing as he's said that he likes a bit more crunch in his games.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 19, 2014

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Cassa posted:

What actions of Zoe Quinns have given feminism a bad name?

Being inconsistent in her marital values, and *possibly* sleeping around to promote her studio or her game or something. Either way, she seems troubling, troubled, and troublesome.

In retrospect I think I used a poor, even wrong choice of words. All I know is that she DOES seem like she has some screws loose. And that I find her theatrics tedious.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

InfiniteJesters posted:

Being inconsistent in her marital values, and *possibly* sleeping around to promote her studio or her game or something. Either way, she seems troubling, troubled, and troublesome.

In retrospect I think I used a poor, even wrong choice of words. All I know is that she DOES seem like she has some screws loose. And that I find her theatrics tedious.

It's well known that marital purity is a corner stone of contemporary feminism. Please tell us more about how her antics such as other people saying she slept her way to the top are a smear against the woman's struggle.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yes, let's use the demonization of this woman based on vague speculation as an example of why feminism should go away.

Are you trolling or are these genuine thoughts in your head?

E: D&D - Inconsistent in its Martials' Value.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Look, it's obvious Zoe Quinn is crazy. One might even say she's....hysteric.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Hey let's stop the misogyny "ironic" slapfight before it begins. Go back to D&D or Games proper if you want to be lovely like that.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Arivia posted:

Hey let's stop the misogyny "ironic" slapfight before it begins. Go back to D&D or Games proper if you want to be lovely like that.

Yeah this, Zoe Quinn has little to nothing to do with tradgames.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

InfiniteJesters posted:

Please stop posting and go think about why you think that the alleged actions of one person gives an entire philosophy centered around equality a bad name.

Please think about how you would never say that someone allegedly throwing a bottle at the police is giving the civil rights movement a bad name, but you're super ready to go to bat against this woman.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
I apparently was making myself terribly unclear.

All I *meant* to say was that there were three flashpoints of some major anger on the internet (and in one case in a real-life location) and that there was prejudicial anger involved in all three.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

InfiniteJesters posted:

Hey look, if you have a problem with me, say it to my face instead of doing this. It's not helpful.

My problem with her and that fiasco is her erratic behavior and inconsistency in what she is saying and doing. Like her saying that extramarital sex was tantamount to rape and then...Well, everything else happening.

She said one thing (or things) and then did another.

At any rate I'm mainly just freaked out because I was kinda interested in Depression Quest but everything that's going on is giving me more insight into human nature and depression than Depression Quest itself probably ever could. :sigh:

No, no. Arivia said to drop it so I guess take it to PMs?

In other news what's with the new avatar du jour?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Arivia posted:

This is ultimately why tg and gaming in general have such a rep as a poo poo-rear end boys' club. Nobody enjoys the derails, so we all let the poo poo slide because we'd prefer not to get a thread gassed over it.

I'm glad we're finally to a place where this can get called out without a cadre of drive by shitposts accelerating the problem, though.

Edit: I won't engage further, but this was genuinely important to the future of nerd games.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

No, no. Arivia said to drop it so I guess take it to PMs?

In other news what's with the new avatar du jour?

I can't notice any difference between it and the old/normal avatar.

I dropped it. I just whatever'd my post away a second too late.

I didn't mean to demean feminism, although given the state of discussions of it on the internet these days I can't claim to have a clear idea of what the philosophy means anymore. I know a lot of it is over my head, so I just try to stay out of the debates, but in this case I was just upset because it seems to be a bad week for both elfgamers and humanity in general. :sigh:

I'm sorry. I'm tired and bad at explaining myself and don't have any idea what's going on anymore. And whenever I try to figure out what's going on I wind up more confused.

On a more on-topic note, any recommendations for games that are like Eclipse Phase but sans the Lovecraft bits?

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 19, 2014

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Why does this stupid Zoe Quinn drama spread to like half of the threads I read?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

moths posted:

This is ultimately why tg and gaming in general have such a rep as a poo poo-rear end boys' club. Nobody enjoys the derails, so we all let the poo poo slide because we'd prefer not to get a thread gassed over it.

I'm glad we're finally to a place where this can get called out without a cadre of drive by shitposts accelerating the problem, though.

Edit: I won't engage further, but this was genuinely important to the future of nerd games.

The Zak S poo poo is fine and on-topic. The Zoe Quinn stuff isn't, especially when people are jousting at each other and saying misogynistic poo poo. What's so hard to understand about that?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

InfiniteJesters posted:

I didn't mean to demean feminism, although given the state of discussions of it on the internet these days I can't claim to have a clear idea of what the philosophy means anymore. I know a lot of it is over my head, so I just try to stay out of the debates, but in this case I was just upset because it seems to be a bad week for both elfgamers and humanity in general. :sigh:

oh my god shut up and go read a book and stop getting all of your life information off of "discussions on the internet"

edit: it's really funny how strident people get about being on topic when they personally don't like something

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah, Zak S is poo poo and I'm glad you're ok with discussing that.

It looked like IJ was trying to defend him with the same obfuscating bullshit that got every feminism thread gassed last year.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

moths posted:

Yeah, Zak S is poo poo and I'm glad you're ok with discussing that.

It looked like IJ was trying to defend him with the same obfuscating bullshit that got every feminism thread gassed last year.

No. I read about the Consultancygate fiasco and I'm baffled as Hell as to why Wizards of the Coast signed him on even while they were espousing equality.

And at any rate his sheer toxicity is baffling. I don't get how one person can be so vicious.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I don't think Infinite Jesters was trying to defend Zak S at all, they just unfortunately married that discussion with Ferguson (?) and weird personal hangups about Zoe Quinn because I guess all nerd poo poo is equal?

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

I don't think Infinite Jesters was trying to defend Zak S at all, they just unfortunately married that discussion with Ferguson (?) and weird personal hangups about Zoe Quinn because I guess all nerd poo poo is equal?

I was convinced that all three events, while not *connected* had at their root the same underlying current of anger. I figured there must be some...I don't know how to put this more precisely, but bad vibes in society at large.

If this doesn't make sense to you, it's because it's largely just musings from me. And I was trying to figure out if they shared a root cause, or if one caused the other (like I theorize that news coverage of the Ferguson riots might have nasty, intolerant folk like Zak S watching out for people they perceive as a threat.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Somehow Mearls got the idea that these "consultants" made ideal community leaders because they were z-list web celebs and he couldn't afford the Penny Arcade guys. (Plus PA had fun in 4e, so...)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
No, Zak S has been terrible long before the Ferguson coverage.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

unseenlibrarian posted:

No, Zak S has been terrible long before the Ferguson coverage.

I knew that much, I was specifically thinking of the post-D&D 5E release consultancy incident and Zak S's involvement in it.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
You know, I'm all for nuances and trying to come up with an essential psychology of the human being and poo poo but attempting to equate Zak S, noted rear end in a top hat, with Furegeson, where literal American troops are putting down protests on US soil while Amnesty International watches, is completely loving crackpot from the start.

Step away from the keyboard and go outside for a bit.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Conskill posted:

You know, I'm all for nuances and trying to come up with an essential psychology of the human being and poo poo but attempting to equate Zak S, noted rear end in a top hat, with Furegeson, where literal American troops are putting down protests on US soil while Amnesty International watches, is completely loving crackpot from the start.

Step away from the keyboard and go outside for a bit.

I've been awake and got off graveyard shift just a few hours ago, so I think I need some sleep more than anything.

And I wasn't trying to *equate* them, just search for some sort of shared zeitgeist.

But whatever. I need sleep because I'm clearly not making a lot of sense here and I'm getting unhappier by the minute. Good night.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Oh my god everyone shut up.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Thread re-opened now that everyone's calmed down, so we can run the Elminster poll properly. The substitute thread has mysteriously vanished. You can continue!

That said, here are the things the chat thread is for:

• Games chat that doesn't quite fit in other threads
• New people to hang out and introduce themselves if they want
• Other stuff as appropriate

It is not for gamers.txt drama, making dumbass posts or posting things that belong in other threads/subforums because you are too lazy to find them.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I am sad there are no votes for Elves and wish to change my vote. :colbert:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Since the other thread mysteriously vanished (gee, thanks dad) I'll ask here:

Anyone want to playtest a game about saving lives and rescuing people from disasters?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

fatherdog posted:

My "Cave on the Borderlands" campaign petered out due to two of the players having kids at around the same time, so I'm working on putting together a 4e X-Crawl campaign. The problem is I can't seem to come up with a good overarching plot/framing device. I want there to be some kind of ongoing... something happening in between the dungeon crawl, and I keep being dissatisfied with everything I come up with.

Combine any two things from Dark Sun and The Running Man.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Really Pants posted:

I got Stephen King and Stephen King. So Keep On Stephen King's Forehead?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Wait, what does Stephen King have to do with Dark Sun?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Really Pants posted:

I choose psychic dragon-kings and an opera-singing lunatic in LED-studded armour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

Wait, what does Stephen King have to do with Dark Sun?

Try to think of Dark Sun without The Gunslinger as inspiration.

• Locked thread