Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Jedit posted:

They actually made a movie out of Love Thy Neighbour? Holy crap.

Yep, and I remember seeing it on TV as a kid. My sister and I thought this dialogue exchange was the height of comedy.

White main Character: He can't be with us, he's not white!
Lead Black Character: But he's not black, either!
Token Indian character: (Exaggerated roll of eyes to his heathen deity) Oh God, I am a bloody mess!

Of course, my excuse is.. I was seven.

Times have thankfully changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Desperado Bones posted:

Phantom of the Paradise rules. Watch it now.
Watch the hell of it and never stop.

gently caress griffith

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

More Thai craziness. It took me a minute before I realized what movie this was actually supposed to be.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Basticle posted:

More Thai craziness. It took me a minute before I realized what movie this was actually supposed to be.

Red Heat?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

yes

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Basticle posted:

The small version of this looks like David Schwimmer in the upper right.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Somehow Jim Belushi was more recognizable than Arnold Schwarzenegger. :psyduck:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jim Belushi is HUGE in Thailand.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

ruddiger posted:

Jim Belushi is HUGE in Thailand.

He's huge everywhere

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

He's huge everywhere

When Jim Belushi sits around the house, he REALLY sits around the house.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

When Jim Belushi sits around the house, he REALLY sits around the house.

I'm saying.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
So they literally changed the name of the movie to Live Die Repeat

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1631867/

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BlueBayou posted:

:stare: Hahaha, what?

Just for home release?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Better late than never. It's a much better title than "Edge of Tomorrow" which sounds like a lovely pop song.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

At least they kept the original name for the Japanese theatrical run.

I just adore that goofy title.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Judge Clayjar posted:

gently caress griffith
If you want to revert to the mental age of 5, go right ahead.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Policenaut posted:

At least they kept the original name for the Japanese theatrical run.

I just adore that goofy title.

I know this is a Beatles song but I don't really get how it ties into the film.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

I know this is a Beatles song but I don't really get how it ties into the film.

It's the name of the manga that it's based on, and also loosely ties into the drill instructors marching song.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It also gets your attention by being weird and unique.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BlueBayou posted:

Is there a better source than IMDB for this?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Is there a better source than IMDB for this?

The cover art for the blu-ray, posted earlier:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 6, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

Novel, not manga.

Japan produces word books too, on occasion, not just comic books.

The book was made into a manga.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
And the book is basically a written manga.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vagabundo posted:

Better late than never. It's a much better title than "Edge of Tomorrow" which sounds like a lovely pop song.

Be fair, it sounds like the name of a lovely pop band. Actually it's a perfectly fine title for a movie, provided the main character is named James Bond.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Yesterday I saw a post on tumblr comparing some comic book covers (Ghost World, Scott Pilgrim, Watchmen) with the posters of their adaptations - and the only one that tried to imitate the original was Whiteout:

Awkward Frank Miller pose in real life! It is fortunate that not many comics adaptations try that thing, although the recreation of the Days of Future Past wall with Jackman and Page would've been nice.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 19, 2014

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I guess this wasn't on said tumblr.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

fatherboxx posted:

Yesterday I saw a post on tumblr comparing some comic book covers (Ghost World, Scott Pilgrim, Watchmen) with the posters of their adaptations - and the only one that tried to imitate the original was Whiteout:

Awkward Frank Miller pose in real life! It is fortunate that not many comics adaptations try that thing, although the recreation of the Days of Future Past wall with Jackman and Page would've been nice.

Do you want to give us a link to it then?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

fatherboxx posted:

It's funny that poster apes the comic book since from what I've heard the movie isn't the most faithful adaptation.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Red Bones posted:

Do you want to give us a link to it then?

Tumblr dashboard is a wild river, scrolling down into yesterday takes forever, but here are the others from my memory:

Watchmen group-shots, nicely highlighting the contrast between two works - one evokes the clamped group posters of the 00s superhero movies and the other is a reference to the team photographs from the Golden/Silver Age. There were a lot of posters for Watchmen (god, that marketing campaign was something), maybe some directly lifted panels from the book.

Nice contrast, much like the previous one. The movie poster is way more bombastic and design-y than the awkward cover of the comic at its finishing line.

Pure Clowes art wouldn't be out of place for that movie poster, it worked for Happiness (not an adaptation of his work but very much in the altcomics spirit)

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 19, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

axleblaze posted:

The book was made into a manga.

This was only after the movie was being made though.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

BlueBayou posted:

What am I missing here? That's a link for the IMDB page for Edge of Tomorrow. The title says Edge of Tomorrow. In fact nothing in that link says Live, Die, Repeat except the tagline.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

kiimo posted:

What am I missing here? That's a link for the IMDB page for Edge of Tomorrow. The title says Edge of Tomorrow. In fact nothing in that link says Live, Die, Repeat except the tagline.

IMDB adapts its page to where you're from. Maybe in some countries it shows up as Live Die Repeat or All You Need Is Kill.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nah, it had been changed to Live Die Repeat earlier when I saw it, it's back to Edge of Tomorrow now. I think people just jumped the gun based on the packaging.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Nah, it had been changed to Live Die Repeat earlier when I saw it, it's back to Edge of Tomorrow now. I think people just jumped the gun based on the packaging.

If you click the release dates link, the last title listed is the Home Video Release and it titles it as Live, Die, Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow.

Edit: Link to release dates, scroll to the bottom.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1631867/releaseinfo?ref_=tt_ql_9

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I still think it should have been All You Need Is Kill but you can't praise the brass for successfully guiding the Dark Knight campaign away from the Colorado shooting and simultaneously blame them for changing this title because they go hand in hand.

It should have been called Reset, which almost made it. Tom Cruise thought it sounded too video game-oriented, which is ironic considering he loved Edge of Tomorrow which sounds like a Bond game from the 90s.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"Live, Die, Repeat" would've been a good title because it tells you exactly what the movie's about and is, at the very least, just as catchy and memorable as "Edge Of Tomorrow".

"All You Need Is Kill" is amusing in its quirky way, but I feel like that could've gone the way of "Snakes On A Plane", where the internet loves it but it doesn't translate into actual success.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

If you click the release dates link, the last title listed is the Home Video Release and it titles it as Live, Die, Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow.

Edit: Link to release dates, scroll to the bottom.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1631867/releaseinfo?ref_=tt_ql_9

IMDB is as reliable as Wikipedia without the [source required] tags.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MikeJF posted:

IMDB is as reliable as Wikipedia without the [source required] tags.

So is the internet in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Random Movie Post: Poster that are as accurate as Wikipedia edition.

Movie is awesome, although not quite THIS awesome.

Crown International Pictures=Probably not quite as accurate as this poster. Or accurate, if shot for $7.49.

Inaccurate, as AMERICAN GRAFFITI was watchable.

Due to illness, horrific dinosaur will be played by a slightly annoyed lizard. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Half-accurate, as I have seen the lower expression on stoner friends.

If this poster is even HALF accurate, I want to see it.

Movie stars William Shatner. Poster is 100% accurate.