Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

vegetables posted:

I prefer it when nothing ties to anything, to be honest. Too much continuity makes the universe seem small; have like a million aliens active in Ancient Egypt that have nothing to do with each other whatsoever.

That said, I'm totally OK with the Doctor being on the Titanic seven times over in different incarnations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Tace Vim posted:

It would be cool if Mummy on the Orient Express somehow tied into Pyramids of Mars.

Eh, Moffat is better when he stays away from continuity, including his own.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

That said, I'm totally OK with the Doctor being on the Titanic seven times over in different incarnations.

Haha, that reminds me - aren't there two different Loch Ness monsters in the Whoniverse?

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chairman Capone posted:

Did they use music from Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves in that episode?

I guess that makes sense, since I think they used music from The Dark Knight in Deep Breath.

They did indeed. Also they used the BBC Robin Hood TV show theme from a couple years back in different action scene. You probably know this, but for timing they use known songs to get the editing done and for whoever is doing the music (I assume Murray Gold in this case) knows what kind of feel to aim for in that particular scene.

It will be interesting to hear the differences in the music they make when it's actually released.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

The_Doctor posted:

It was the site of DoctorCon, the con where all the Doctors meet up. In retrospect, not the best place to have it.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Everyone on the Titanic was the Doctor, in all 2,223 of his incarnations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Tace Vim posted:

Haha, that reminds me - aren't there two different Loch Ness monsters in the Whoniverse?

There's the cybernetic monster controlled by the Zygons, and the Borat Borad in Timelash

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Wasn't there something about an Egyptian on the Orient Express at the end of season 5?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

vegetables posted:

Everyone on the Titanic was the Doctor, in all 2,223 of his incarnations.

Even the Master is there.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

There are also like three different explanations for Atlantis and at least 4 different dates for the end of the world.

e: whoops, this is the spoiler thread, no wonder there are episode names!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What was this forum's reaction to Nightmare in Silver when it aired? Because I just tried to watch it for the first time, and it was......just absolutely lovely, a real piece of crap. All the scenes with the Doctor in his own head fighting with the Borg version of him are loving terrible. Did Gaiman seriously write this? Neil Gaiman?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Bown posted:

What was this forum's reaction to Nightmare in Silver when it aired? Because I just tried to watch it for the first time, and it was......just absolutely lovely, a real piece of crap. All the scenes with the Doctor in his own head fighting with the Borg version of him are loving terrible. Did Gaiman seriously write this? Neil Gaiman?

I think Gaiman said the script got mucked around with quite a bit. The main thread generally agreed it was a subpar episode, but that Matt Smith vs. Matt Smith was great.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
I recall some goon in cinema discusso winning dinner with Gaiman or something, and though Gaiman was polite and all about it, he gave off the impression that the script got seriously hosed with, and the kids were basically forced in, and blah blah blah.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

DirtyRobot posted:

I recall some goon in cinema discusso winning dinner with Gaiman
I cannot imagine a worse experience for Gaiman. Poor bastard.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The script was written at a time when Clara was going to be Victorian governess Clara, for a start

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ah right, that makes a ton of sense. It definitely doesn't feel like anything I've seen from Gaiman before, including The Doctor's Wife. Smith vs Smith is fine from an acting standpoint but visually and conceptually it's insanely crappy, and yeah, I had no idea who the kids were until I asked someone.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've always been very vocal about not...enjoying it. But then I'm a very vocal Cyberman fan who feels they haven't had a truly good serial since the Invasion, so you know.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I hate to be the one to say it but Gaiman's isn't a very good writer. He's been coasting on the coattails of Sandman for the past 20 years and even that ran aground about 2years before it ended. The Doctor's Wife was pure Manic Pixie Dream Tardis tumblr fanfic and Nightmare in Silver was just a mess. Whether someone else fiddled about with his script or not the underlying story just is lacking.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
American Gods is pretty solid.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

So is Coraline.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Neverwhere (TV especially) was good fun, and is part of the reason why Paterson Joseph is mentioned so much wrt Doctor Who.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

thexerox123 posted:

So is Coraline.

Coraline the movie is great. The book was just a "Hey, I'm writing a grim kids book" thing. Neil Gaiman is very hit and miss.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Coraline the movie is great. The book was just a "Hey, I'm writing a grim kids book" thing. Neil Gaiman is very hit and miss.

I actually haven't seen the movie, only read it in book & comic forms.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

thexerox123 posted:

I actually haven't seen the movie, only read it in book & comic forms.

The movie is great. Has Keith David, John Hodgman, and They Might Be Giants in it. It's pretty fun and looks really nice.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think Coraline is more a good movie visually than because of the writing in any way. It looked gorgeous but the plot was pretty tired and the villain had extremely minimal characterisation.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Neverwhere has Capaldi in it!

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

The Graveyard Book is fantastic, too.

I can see why people wouldn't like a lot of Gaiman's stuff, as a lot of it is somehow very particular to him with the sense of being very derivative of other works, but I don't think Nightmare in Silver's flaws are the kinds of flaws you'd normally associate with him. Even at his worst Gaiman has a cleverness to him and a love of mythology, whether the gods he's talking about are from Asgard or Gallifrey. Nightmare in Silver doesn't have any of that: it doesn't understand what makes the Cybermen scary, it doesn't say anything about stories or about people, it doesn't have a spark of mystery or of wonder. It's just totally hollow, in a way that Gaiman really never is. It's obvious that it isn't his story, unless he went through a temporary conversion process while writing it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Moffat doesn't loving get the Cybermen at all, that's the problem. He also doesn't get the Dalek's.

Basically anything loving partially machine he treats like a dumb robot.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

American Gods is pretty solid.

Except for the massive nothing of a protagonist, sure.

"Character traits? Oh! You mean like the ability to do coin tricks! There, that's sorted."

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
He seems very obviously meant to be a cipher, starting from the name. On the other hand, that it's meant doesn't make it not loving dull.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

PriorMarcus posted:

Moffat doesn't loving get the Cybermen at all, that's the problem. He also doesn't get the Dalek's.

Basically anything loving partially machine he treats like a dumb robot.

RTD initiated the terrible new series cybermen in the first place and the cybermen have only showed up like once in 11's run

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rita Repulsa posted:

RTD initiated the terrible new series cybermen in the first place and the cybermen have only showed up like once in 11's run

No.

They have shown up every year especially for the group meetings. And they showed up just to get the poo poo kicked out of them and make Rory appear badass for no Goddamn reason in a Good Man Goes to War.

If you don't count those, they have two solo adventures with 11- Both are poo poo.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

Burkion posted:

They have shown up every year especially for the group meetings. And they showed up just to get the poo poo kicked out of them and make Rory appear badass for no Goddamn reason in a Good Man Goes to War.
Pretty much every Cybermen story following The Tenth Planet has been getting further and further away from their initial concept. Granted, the reality behind that concept is perhaps a bit too gruesome for a family audience, but somehow we've strayed a long way from humans faced with the choice of either extinction as a species or cybernetically augmenting themselves to such an extent that they're no longer human. Now all we get is "lolz, goose-stepping robots".

This is why Big Finish's Spare Parts was such a breath of fresh air, and because the body horror is implied through audio rather than made explicit through visuals it works on a level the TV show could never hope to match.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I watched the Robin Hood episode. The doctor's skepticism seemed really forced, basically unnatural for the character as he is typically portrayed. It seemed like he arrived at the conclusion "Clara's idea is stupid" at the beginning and hitched his self-esteem to it; the end result being the Doctor seems insecure about being smarter than Clara, which is a bizarre turn.

If we're going to have playful friction between the Doctor and Clara, it seems kind of mean-spirited to have the Doctor wanting to one-up Clara in the knowledge department because he's already indisputably more knowledgable so it's like kicking a puppy or something.

Oh and the three person bow at the end was dumb.

On the positive side, it was a fun romp and nothing was particularly egregious.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Sonance posted:

Pretty much every Cybermen story following The Tenth Planet has been getting further and further away from their initial concept. Granted, the reality behind that concept is perhaps a bit too gruesome for a family audience, but somehow we've strayed a long way from humans faced with the choice of either extinction as a species or cybernetically augmenting themselves to such an extent that they're no longer human. Now all we get is "lolz, goose-stepping robots".

This is why Big Finish's Spare Parts was such a breath of fresh air, and because the body horror is implied through audio rather than made explicit through visuals it works on a level the TV show could never hope to match.

What frustrates me is that the basic idea of the Cybermen is such a rich seam to mine in terms of new and interesting stories, while "here are some robots who are a bit faster now" is, well, less so. I genuinely think the concept of the Cybermen is strong enough to support an entire series on its own, but you'd never know it looking at the past 46 years.

vegetables fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 20, 2014

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Xibanya posted:

I watched the Robin Hood episode. The doctor's skepticism seemed really forced, basically unnatural for the character as he is typically portrayed. It seemed like he arrived at the conclusion "Clara's idea is stupid" at the beginning and hitched his self-esteem to it; the end result being the Doctor seems insecure about being smarter than Clara, which is a bizarre turn.

If we're going to have playful friction between the Doctor and Clara, it seems kind of mean-spirited to have the Doctor wanting to one-up Clara in the knowledge department because he's already indisputably more knowledgable so it's like kicking a puppy or something.

Oh and the three person bow at the end was dumb.

On the positive side, it was a fun romp and nothing was particularly egregious.

Yeah, that was really my only complaint with the episode. Gatiss seemed to be playing the "haha this Doctor sure is an rear end in a top hat, right" card a little too broadly.

Other than that, this filled the token comedy episode role quite well. I actually laughed at quite a few bits (the comedic timing in some of the editing was really well done). So, pretty much 3 for 3 on good to excellent episodes so far.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Wait so the third work print is out in the world now too? drat. Are the remaining of the 5 out there as well?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Burkion posted:

If you don't count those, they have two solo adventures with 11- Both are poo poo.

Wait, people don't like Closing Time? Huh.

A bunch of joyless mother fuckers in here.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Here are the basic summaries for all the episodes from Moffat via the Radio Times:

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/series-8-ep-details.html

Deep Breath
"Who frowned me this face?"
A slaughterhouse restaurant and a buried spaceship lead The Doctor into a confrontation with a long-forgotten foe...

Into The Dalek
"Imagine the worst thing in the universe, and then don't bother because you're looking at right now. This is evil refined as engineering."
In the dying days of a bitter war, a beleaguered army has one last hope: a Dalek so damaged it has become good. But can it be trusted? To find out, a miniaturised team, led by The Doctor and Clara, embark on a fantastic voyage into the Dalek itself...

Robot of Sherwood
"There's no such thing as Robin Hood!"
In a sun-dappled Sherwood Forest, The Doctor discovers an evil plan from beyond the stars. But with of Nottingham at stake (and possibly Derby), there's no time for the two adventurers to get into a fight about who is real and who isn't - which is probably why they do very little else!

Listen
"What's that in the mirror, and the corner of your eye? What's the footstep following, but never passing by?"
What scares the grand old man of time? What horrors lurk under his bed? Ghosts of the past and future crowd into the lives of The Doctor and Clara; a terrified caretaker in a children's home, the last man standing in the universe, and a little boy who doesn't want to join the army...

Time Heist
"Welcome to the bank of Karabraxos."
The Bank of Karabraxos is the deadliest bank in the cosmos - only a fool or genius would tempt to rob it. Fortunately, for The Doctor, he's both. But nothing even The Doctor has encountered can prepare them for the Teller: a creature of terrifying power that can detect guilt.

The Caretaker
"Human beings have incredibly short life-spans. Frankly, you should all be in a permanent state of panic. Tick tock, tick tock."
Clara has it all under control: her life at school, her life in space; her new boyfriend and her mad old Time Lord. Everything is humming along just fine, so long as everybody never actually meets. And then, one morning, just before assembly, Coal Hill welcomes a new relief caretaker with a Scottish accent.

Kill the Moon
"The little planetoid that's been tagging along beside you for a hundred million years, which gives you light at night and seas to sail, is in the process of falling to bits."
In the near future, The Doctor and Clara arrive on a decrepit shuttle making a suicide mission to the Moon. Crashing on the lunar surface, they find a mining base full of eviscerated corpses, spider-like creatures scuttling about in the dark, and a terrible dilemma.

Mummy on the Orient Express
"Start the clock!"
Aboard the most beautiful train in history, speeding among the stars of the future, a legend is stalking the passengers. Once you see the Mummy, you have 66 seconds to live. Clara sees The Doctor at his most deadliest and most ruthless - and finally she realises she's made the right decision. Because this is their last adventure: it's time to say goodbye to the Time Lord.

Flatline
"Look, your home isn't going anywhere. And neither is mine until I figure this out."
Separated from The Doctor, Clara discovers a new menace from another dimension. But how do you hide when even the walls are no protection?

In the Forest of the Night
"D'you like the forest being in Trafalgar Square? I think it's lovely."
One morning in London, and every city and town in the world, the human race wakes up to the most surprising invasion yet: the trees have moved back in. Everywhere, in every land, a forest has grown overnight and taken back the Earth.

Dark Water / Death in Heaven
"You betrayed me. You betrayed my trust, our friendship, and everything I've ever stood for. You let me down."
In the mysterious world of the Nethersphere, plans have been drawn. Old friends and old enemies manoeuvre around The Doctor, and an impossible choice is looming over him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Teek posted:

The Caretaker
And then, one morning, just before assembly, Coal Hill welcomes a new relief caretaker with a Scottish accent.

"Doctor, eh? Well, you're a little over-qualified for the role. But if you leave your name and particulars..." 51 years later and he finally gets the job! :D

• Locked thread