Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hit the bricks pal!
Jan 12, 2009

n8r posted:

Look into cleaning your fork seals:
http://sealmate.net/

You can improvise this tool as well. Always worth trying before you do the seals.

Thanks. I'll definitely give this a try first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

epalm posted:

I'm paying much closer attention to lever tension and cable slack these days.

When I squeeze and release my clutch lever, it doesn't quite extend to the most open position that it could, it falls about 1cm short. In this position, I don't think it's affecting anything (clutch seems to be fully engaged). I can manually push it the rest of the way open.

Is this a problem I should fix?

There should be guidelines in your service manual. Usually a cable clutch can actually keep going backwards (there's an internal spring) a fair bit after the clutch is fully engaged. Generally you want around 1cm of slack at the hand lever.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
I'm an idiot.

Bike was revving up after 15-20 minutes of casual riding.

Replace throttle cable (Binding) No Dice.

Clean/Sync carbs...No dice

Swap air filter/check box...nothing

Replace exhaust clamps/gaskets...no dice.

Oil change- nope

Check choke lever.

EDIT: I've been closing as it warms up instead of opening.

I feel so stupid. I don't know how.

Bright side.

Did a ton of maintenance on my bike.

SkaAndScreenplays fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 20, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I decided to balance my throttlebodies. To my dismay, I discovered that honda, in their infinite wisdom, have made the TB's completely non-adjustable. The butterflies are solidly bolted to the shaft. The only scope for adjustment is the idle bypass system which basically feeds an extra bit of air from the airbox into each TB via some vacuum lines and a solenoid. No. 2 cylinder is hard bolted to the idle speed adjuster, so you synch the other three to that one, then screw the idle down until it's around 1200. No problem.

Unfortunately, this hasn't fixed my rough idle or low-RPM coarseness. I've owned one other 919 with similar mileage and ridden two others, none of them had this. It feels exactly like poorly synchronised carbs on a carby bike: slightly spiking idle and minor, random pops and splutters at very low throttle openings, under 2,500rpm. Power is unaffected, higher rev smoothness is unaffected. My clearances are fine, I've replaced plugs and tested the coils and leads.

I can't see what else it can be, it's driving me crazy :(

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Slavvy posted:

poorly synchronised carbs on a carby bike: slightly spiking idle and minor, random pops and splutters at very low throttle openings, under 2,500rpm.

Oh. So that's why my 250 burbles.

Captain Muffin
Apr 25, 2007

Women like you are the reason this chickens late in the first place.

Stupid question ahoy! Yamaha SR 125 (I'm the ninth or tenth owner!) purely for getting some practice in before I step up to something bigger. I'm currently doing about ~125 miles a week on this and will probably keep it till around Feb-March next year. There is a little cracking, but only on the rear tyre. I think the bike might have been stored for a while in someone's conservatory in the sun. Should I be concerned and get some new tyres or is it not worth the expense?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Captain Muffin posted:

Should I be concerned and get some new tyres or is it not worth the expense?

Yes and yes. Bike tires have a finite lifetime, there should be a date code somewhere on the tire - those are probably 5+ years old and are unsafe to ride on.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Captain Muffin posted:

Should I be concerned and get some new tyres or is it not worth the expense?

New tires on a bike are pretty much always worth the expense. You only have two of them, and if either one fails at speed you're in deep poo poo, unlike a car where you probably will just wobble around a bit and can ride it out for a while. Probably the first place you should spend money on an old bike.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Christ jesus, that's some serious dry rotting. Get new ones asap.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Captain Muffin posted:

I'm currently doing about ~125 miles a week on this

How are you even still alive?

Captain Muffin
Apr 25, 2007

Women like you are the reason this chickens late in the first place.
I shall be doing some tire shopping this weekend! I am a dumbass. I only really noticed it last weekend and then since then its always in the back of my mind when I'm going downhill. Yay for stupid questions.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Anyone have an extra speedbleeder dustcap/a suggestion for a replacement? I'm an idiot and already managed to lose one. And they want the full $6 shipping for a ten cent item, so fuuuck that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Autozone usually has a section of random little rubber gaskets and caps for odds and ends. You might be able to find something that fits well enough, if not an exact match.

Alternately, they're very similar to the caps used on grease fittings -- you can usually get them at Grainger or other general tool suppliers like that. Should be a physical location you could get them from if you're anywhere near a large city.

http://www.grainger.com/product/CAPLUGS-Grease-Fitting-Cap-2PB19

M42
Nov 12, 2012

That's a great idea! Thanks!

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Got a first experience bike class tomorrow. Need "eye protection" and gloves. Will large sunglasses that go over my prescriptions be alright along with some work gloves?

Yes, stop asking the thread. Ok. I'm just nervous with my poo poo balance.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 22, 2014

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
You'll be fine. By the time you get to anything that requires balance, you'll have had enough practice to be comfortable to some degree. My MSF class was the first time I'd ridden any kind of motorcycle and I have always been a clumsy, off-balance, injury-prone person. I had zero issues whatsoever. As long as the bike is rolling forward, it will balance itself with minimal input from you. Slow speed maneuvers are trickier, but again, you'll have a good amount of practice going in straight lines and gentle curves before then.

Any kind of glasses will be fine. Work gloves will be fine as long as they're not so clumsy they interfere with your ability to use the controls. You're just going to be puttering around a parking lot at 15 MPH or less.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Alceste posted:

You'll be fine. By the time you get to anything that requires balance, you'll have had enough practice to be comfortable to some degree. My MSF class was the first time I'd ridden any kind of motorcycle and I have always been a clumsy, off-balance, injury-prone person. I had zero issues whatsoever. As long as the bike is rolling forward, it will balance itself with minimal input from you. Slow speed maneuvers are trickier, but again, you'll have a good amount of practice going in straight lines and gentle curves before then.

Any kind of glasses will be fine. Work gloves will be fine as long as they're not so clumsy they interfere with your ability to use the controls. You're just going to be puttering around a parking lot at 15 MPH or less.

This.

I'm a clumsy bastard who always bumps into things, drops poo poo and was poo poo at sports as a kid. Bikes are the only time I feel like I'm actually balanced and graceful. They hold themselves up, stop worrying.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I've been looking at bikes for months now and haven't seemed to find anything more fun than my Bandit so I'm thinking of slowly building up another crazy Bandit in my garage sometime next year or so and was wondering if that's viable?

I was thinking of keeping the same setup I have now, meaning a bore kit and GSXR cams, but with the GSXR bottom end so I can keep a clutch basket and gain a sixth gear and not worry about destroying clutches. I also wanna run the entire thing on microsquirt EFI with completely redone suspension (Wilbers rear shock, but not sure on the front forks), with actual warning modules like an oil temp sensor, oil fan, etc. I'm not too interested in doing a turbo build since I'd like some longevity. Guy at a local shop runs his 390lb (with gas) ZZR1200 on standalone and it's making 145whp and like 100+tq and 50mpg all day long and I'm certain he could fabricate a proper trigger setup.

Does this seem like a good idea versus just getting something already crazy and stupid?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Armchair Calvinist posted:

I've been looking at bikes for months now and haven't seemed to find anything more fun than my Bandit so I'm thinking of slowly building up another crazy Bandit in my garage sometime next year or so and was wondering if that's viable?

I was thinking of keeping the same setup I have now, meaning a bore kit and GSXR cams, but with the GSXR bottom end so I can keep a clutch basket and gain a sixth gear and not worry about destroying clutches. I also wanna run the entire thing on microsquirt EFI with completely redone suspension (Wilbers rear shock, but not sure on the front forks), with actual warning modules like an oil temp sensor, oil fan, etc. I'm not too interested in doing a turbo build since I'd like some longevity. Guy at a local shop runs his 390lb (with gas) ZZR1200 on standalone and it's making 145whp and like 100+tq and 50mpg all day long and I'm certain he could fabricate a proper trigger setup.

Does this seem like a good idea versus just getting something already crazy and stupid?

Or you could just buy a Grom/Sumo and have more fun with fewer headaches. :sun:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

HotCanadianChick posted:

Or you could just buy a Grom/Sumo and have more fun with fewer headaches. :sun:

Go for the motard. They're just as expensive but most non-racing ones can actually hang on the highway when you need them to.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Armchair Calvinist posted:

If you're gonna do this why not start with a GSXR and work it towards Bandit ergos instead

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Snowdens Secret posted:

If you're gonna do this why not start with a GSXR and work it towards Bandit ergos instead

Yeah, just take off the plastics and put on Renthal bars and a headlight. A Bandit's just a factory version of what people were doing with their crashed Gixxers anyway.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Does anyone make a slim profile/over-the-ear hearing protection that'd fit under a helmet? I've got wonky ears and have tried every version of stuff-inside the ear canal protection, but everything eventually works its way outta my left ear.

Plus I'd be more inclined to use it all the time instead of just on longer trips if it just slipped on.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Have you tried custom molded earplugs? You can pick them up on amazon for pretty cheap and DIY them.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

Have you tried custom molded earplugs? You can pick them up on amazon for pretty cheap and DIY them.

I haven't, though I'm guessing that's probably what I should try next, since I get the feeling what I'm asking about probably doesn't exist. Thanks :)

Kind of a related question, but does helmet quality have a substantial impact on wind noise? What I've got now is a cheapie 100$ Gmax helmet... Does a spendier helmet typically help isolate external noise?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Yes.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Yes it absolutely does. I had an HJC IS-MAX originally, and wind noise was pretty bananas. It also didn't fit me that well. I got a Lazer and it's like night and day how much quieter and less buffet-y the nicer helmet is.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I bought custom earplugs and they absolutely rock! Foam earplugs would always work their way out or take forever to insert correctly.

Radians Custom Molded Earplugs (Red) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002XULPSQ/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_Dxp-tb0GC1JTB

The only problem is when I take my helmet off sometimes one of them will go flying out of my ear.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
My second replacement speedo cable just broke. It's breaking right at the bottom end where the cable meets the solid metal insert. I'm thinking that it's because when I plug it in, I the cable is bending at a weird angle instead of sticking straight out of the lower plug. Does this sound plausible? Should I be adding grease or something to it before I install? There's a little rubber gasket for the lower end and I don't know if I'm supposed to leave it there either. Basically, please help me. Bike is a 2004 Ninja 250.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Silicone earplugs are also a thing.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004CKCX9K/ref=pd_aw_sims_2?pi=SY115&simLd=1

As above, I find they pop out of the helmet sometimes. They can also lose their seal which kind of sucks until the next time you stop for gas. They're worth a try though.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Has anyone here tried the mighty plugs?

https://earplugsonline.com/

I was just googling around and found a thread by the company in ADV rider.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

MrKatharsis posted:

My second replacement speedo cable just broke. It's breaking right at the bottom end where the cable meets the solid metal insert. I'm thinking that it's because when I plug it in, I the cable is bending at a weird angle instead of sticking straight out of the lower plug. Does this sound plausible? Should I be adding grease or something to it before I install? There's a little rubber gasket for the lower end and I don't know if I'm supposed to leave it there either. Basically, please help me. Bike is a 2004 Ninja 250.

From memory the part it screws into slots into place with the screw point pointing up towards the gauge cluster so that the cable kind of goes straight there without any bends aside from a light curve. If its at a weird angle and snapping that part may be in a bit wrong. It kind of clicks into place. Regrease the cable every few months, aside from that you pretty much ignore it.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Kind of a related question, but does helmet quality have a substantial impact on wind noise? What I've got now is a cheapie 100$ Gmax helmet... Does a spendier helmet typically help isolate external noise?

Your bike and your head are big factors here too, I've seen many posts where one person proclaims helmet x to be the quietest ever and another comes along and says it's the noisiest piece of poo poo they've ever worn. Ultimately, the only way to ensure quiet is sort out some ear protection. Relying on more $ = less noise is risky.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Lynza posted:

Yes it absolutely does. I had an HJC IS-MAX originally, and wind noise was pretty bananas. It also didn't fit me that well. I got a Lazer and it's like night and day how much quieter and less buffet-y the nicer helmet is.

I also own a Lazer and love a lot of things about it except that its so goddamn hot. It needs airflow badly. It is fairly quiet and really really comfortable though.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

MrKatharsis posted:

I don't remember how the speedo drive on the 250 is but on my GS you can move the drive any which way before you tighten the axle. I have to make sure I align it properly before I tightening so I don't have a kink in my cable. If the Ninja is like that you can loosen it up and get the threaded part sticking out in the proper direction so your next cable lasts longer.
If it's like my FZR there is a notch in the fork leg that the drive fits into causing the angle is fixed so there's no adjustment.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
About helmet talk, has anyone else had their helmet, which otherwise fits well, get pushed back so hard at speed (90mph) their nose touches the visor?

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Your bike and your head are big factors here too, I've seen many posts where one person proclaims helmet x to be the quietest ever and another comes along and says it's the noisiest piece of poo poo they've ever worn. Ultimately, the only way to ensure quiet is sort out some ear protection. Relying on more $ = less noise is risky.

Yeah, a lot of noise can be generated if it doesn't fit your head properly, in particular below the chin and around the neck (I noticed this when wearing a thick jumper with a collar and it made things a lot quieter).

Honestly I think some pretty cheap helmets would be very quiet if they fit you very well.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

High Protein posted:

About helmet talk, has anyone else had their helmet, which otherwise fits well, get pushed back so hard at speed (90mph) their nose touches the visor?

If it can move around like that, it sounds like it doesn't fit well.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I have an Icon helmet (I can't tell the model, there's no markings on it), and I like it pretty well. It seems to fit really well and noise doesn't seem to be a problem... the only thing I really need is a replacement tinted visor. Do I have to buy one that is specifically fitted to the helmet, or do they make fairly generic replacements?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Specific to the helmet, unless you want a stick-on.