Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
To anyone with a podcast - assuming the plan is for someone to win the Rumble and beat Brock at mania for the title, give me percent chances of who you think will be the one to do it.

I think it is currently

Roman - 75
Ambrose - 10
Bryan - 10
Others - 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sunsweet posted:

He's not wrong. I do love that WWE workers are just so into New Japan.

As far as I can tell from what Dave was saying, it's just Bryan, Bray, and Cesaro. Maybe some of the older guys catch a match here or there.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

mkay0 posted:

To anyone with a podcast - assuming the plan is for someone to win the Rumble and beat Brock at mania for the title, give me percent chances of who you think will be the one to do it.

I think it is currently

Roman - 75
Ambrose - 10
Bryan - 10
Others - 5

I'd put Bryan's chances higher, but this is fairly accurate.

I'd also throw Batista in rather than being an other. His shoot background and being best buds with Trips means he might get the proper Mania moment he was promised last year. Plus we'd all want to see it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Skunkrocker posted:

I'd put Bryan's chances higher, but this is fairly accurate.

I'd also throw Batista in rather than being an other. His shoot background and being best buds with Trips means he might get the proper Mania moment he was promised last year. Plus we'd all want to see it.

Given his interviews since leaving about how much he hated it, it's very hard to imagine them trying Batista as a face again despite him essentially leaving as one. Batista sucks as a face and probably the only way he'd be of any interest now is as a monster heel, and they aren't going to have a heel-heel main for Mania.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

flashy_mcflash posted:

As far as I can tell from what Dave was saying, it's just Bryan, Bray, and Cesaro. Maybe some of the older guys catch a match here or there.

Tyson Kidd is a giant gobber who would rather watch wrestling than have sex with his wife so he probably watched the G1.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Kidd got a bunch of dvds from IVP when he tore his ACL so I'm sure he's one.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I would bet money that Sting couldn't pick Tyson Kidd out of a lineup.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

sportsgenius86 posted:

Kidd got a bunch of dvds from IVP when he tore his ACL so I'm sure he's one.

Him and Davey Boy watched it when Davey came back from the G1

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
D-Bry is right, Shinsuke Nakamura probs is one of the best in the world. Whenever I get bored and put on NJPW, I go straight to his match, then turn it off because I know nobody before him will match it, and nobody can follow him.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I always thought Tanahashi was better.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Ishii is the best you scrubs.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Given his interviews since leaving about how much he hated it, it's very hard to imagine them trying Batista as a face again despite him essentially leaving as one. Batista sucks as a face and probably the only way he'd be of any interest now is as a monster heel, and they aren't going to have a heel-heel main for Mania.

Batista even said himself in a recent interview that he wants to comeback and face Hunter at Mania. While I like that match if we were also getting Sting/Taker and a Hogan/Cena match, 3 nostalgia matches would not be good even if I want to see all of them.

Edit: I like Nakamura the most because he doesn't just do cool moves but he moves in a very unique way and has a style that is pretty different from everyone else. From the way he walks to how me punches and sells; I appreciate those kind of things, which is another reason I've loved Ambrose since he came into WWE.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 19, 2014

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

NienNunb posted:

I always thought Tanahashi was better.

Tanahashi is more versatile and historically better but Shinsuke is more colorful and has had a better year thus far.

That being said Yuji is the best.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Gotta give RAINMAKAH his due.

Although Nakamura is a close second.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

oatgan posted:

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Gotta give RAINMAKAH his due.

Although Nakamura is a close second.

only a total mark could sincerely believe okada is even in the top 5 workers in the company

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I don't think that's even taking anything away from Okada because he's tremendous, there's just a ridiculous amount of top level wrestlers in New Japan

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Spermgod posted:

only a total mark could sincerely believe okada is even in the top 5 workers in the company

And if there's one thing I want from my opinions on japanese men pretending to fight, it's objectivity.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
i think he's a good wrestler that only knows how to have one match and will maybe become great as he gets older

edit: great character though obviously

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

oatgan posted:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Daniel Bryan posted:

So Daniel Bryan was being interviewed by Dave Meltzer and all Bryan wanted to talk about was New Japan and the G1. Meanwhile WWE PR is desperately trying to get Bryan away from Meltzer. That's hilarious.

Daniel Bryan thinks Shinsuke Nakamura is the best wrestler in the world.

So is Bryan one of those guys that Meltzer mentioned as wanting to go on over to NJPW? It's not hard to see him wanting to go out on WWE on top (I think whatever they do, Bryan won't have a run as good as he originally did, particularly if he's getting roped into his wife's storylines).

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I doubt Bryan wants to leave WWE immediately but I wouldn't be surprised if he'd like to have a run in New Japan before his career is over

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I can't see a guy who was easily in the top 5 guys in the company wanting to leave. It's not like he's going to be Zack Ryder once his arm is healed.

Yeah I know that he doesn't care about material things or pushes, but still the money he'd make from merch alone would let him and Brie live a nice life for a long time.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Cardboard Box posted:

I doubt Bryan wants to leave WWE immediately but I wouldn't be surprised if he'd like to have a run in New Japan before his career is over

i think hed be an idiot to have any matches in the new japan style at this point in his career. but if he comes back and is still doing top rope headbutts and flying into the barricade on topes its a moot point i guess.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

triplexpac posted:

I can't see a guy who was easily in the top 5 guys in the company wanting to leave. It's not like he's going to be Zack Ryder once his arm is healed.

Yeah I know that he doesn't care about material things or pushes, but still the money he'd make from merch alone would let him and Brie live a nice life for a long time.

No, but right after the amazing run that peaks with Wrestlemania he's in a story that closely echoes a slasher movie. A WWE slasher movie. Also starring Kane.

I don't think he wants to leave any time soon. But given his love for NJPW and Meltzer's comments earlier in the week about wrestlers he knows about in the WWE who have an eye on NJ, I wouldn't be surprised if you see him there within the next 5 years or so.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Spermgod posted:

Hey, just a heads up, but you're a total loving moron. Thought you should know.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I don't think he's one of them that wants to leave, no. He's just a fan of new japan. Dave was probably referring to the likes of Tyson Kidd and maybe Cesaro or something.

Bryan has found a spot in WWE I'm sure he's very comfortable with, and will be for years to come.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really enjoyed Austin's interview with Kamala (The Ugandan Giant!)

Kamala: Oh I always got on well with Andre
Austin: But there was that dressing room incident?
Kamala: Oh yeah, so I go to see him and I've got my 357 magnum in my pocket....

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

ChampRamp posted:

actually thats you

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Spermgod posted:

nope

ChampRamp posted:

nope

chill

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
just off the top of my head aj, honma, ishii, nakamura, shibata have all had better 2014s than okada imo. i could maybe see him as #6 but i could see arguments for other guys too.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Spermgod posted:

i think he's a good wrestler that only knows how to have one match and will maybe become great as he gets older

edit: great character though obviously

For real. He's 26 years old. 26. If he gets the sort of treatment he's had in the past two years for the next 3-5 years, he could be the best in the world. Right now, he's good as gently caress, there are just a lot of workers who are also good as gently caress in NJPW right now.

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
Wrestling is cool because you can have wide opinions on who you wanna see and like. I think Nakamura is lame and tries too hard and his antics actively throw me away from a match and there's at least 6 or so new japan guys I'd rather watch but everyone can enjoy their own thing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spermgod posted:

Only a total mark could believe the guy with the best body of work over the last 3 years is one of the best guys in the company. Okada has been put in positions to succeed and was very well protected as he continued to develop but the guy produced and is legitimately great now. Get over yourself.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I would listen to a podcast called "Total Mark Knows..." starring Mark Calloway and Mark Briscoe.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I would listen to a podcast called "Total Mark Knows..." starring Mark Calloway and Mark Briscoe.

what about one called The Wrestlehut Pisscast Episode 55 (now on iTunes)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/pgtwo4xps6c1fr1/055+Wrestlehut+Pisscast.mp3

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Audio engineer Mark Madden and recurring guests Mark Henry and Marc Mero discuss why Seth Rollins is far and away the toughest man in WWE because of his Crossfit training.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Daniel Bryan posted:

So Daniel Bryan was being interviewed by Dave Meltzer and all Bryan wanted to talk about was New Japan and the G1. Meanwhile WWE PR is desperately trying to get Bryan away from Meltzer. That's hilarious.

Daniel Bryan thinks Shinsuke Nakamura is the best wrestler in the world.

Bryan probably would've booked Nakamura to win the G1. Obviously a better booker than Jado and/or Gedo.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Apparently I need to watch New Japan because this page read like it was in a different language

Edit: Probably just look up guys that are mentioned on this page and go from there

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Jerusalem posted:

flashy_mcflash posted:

Audio engineer Mark Madden and recurring guests Mark Henry and Marc Mero

Intro and outro music by Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch?

• Locked thread