Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Slanderer posted:

Maybe we can compromise somehow. Like, what if all cops need to get one of their eyes removed and replaced with a camera-eye. But the camera eye is also a laser pointer that they are allowed to use to permanently blind suspects.

This seems really fair actually.

and awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HE4T
Aug 29, 2011

bassguitarhero posted:

This would end the protests instantly. But it would also set a precedent of some semblance of legal accountability for murdering people, which is why they can't allow it.

You mean arrest him before multiple independent investigations are completed? Drama much?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

bassguitarhero posted:

This would end the protests instantly. But it would also set a precedent of some semblance of legal accountability for murdering people, which is why they can't allow it.

You are paranoid and delusional.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
wouldn't that gently caress w/ the balance of the pistol and/or make it unweildy and harder to aim? Body cam or a google glass type deal seems a lot less obtrusive

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

HE4T posted:

You mean arrest him before multiple independent investigations are completed? Drama much?

oh no not drama

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

McDowell posted:

One cop argument is that 'a camera doesn't tell the whole story' but multiple cameras capturing an incident at multiple angles defeat that. A camera-equipped gun as standard issue would be even harder to tamper with than a dash or body cam. Covering up the lens would be obvious fuckery.
Local cops around here have a camera on what looks like a pair of Oakleys. I think that's probably the easiest way to do things. Tough to brutalize somebody without looking at him.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

PuTTY riot posted:

wouldn't that gently caress w/ the balance of the pistol and/or make it unweildy and harder to aim? Body cam or a google glass type deal seems a lot less obtrusive

I think a google glass type deal is the best current option.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

PuTTY riot posted:

It is just an idea I am toying with, as far as I know it doesn't exist. It would also be a little simpler than a dash or body cam because it would just be taking stills when the trigger is pulled, as opposed to constant video recording.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Question for the thread:

I know that the initial 2-3 nights of cops going full military riot gear response was 100% County PD (except for 4 City PD doing traffic control), and I know that the City PD had been trolling the gently caress out of the Country PD because even they know they're loving incompetent, and I know that the State Troopers were tasked with taking over for the Country PD after those first 2-3 days. My question is has it just been the Country PD doing "riot control", or are we back to ACAB and the City PD and State Troopers are doing "riot control" now?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

McDowell posted:

If a cop has both a gun and a taser he could confuse the two.

See again, cop went for his tazer against a prone, restrained guy, assuming you're talking about Oscar grant. Neither the gun or the tazer were appropriate, and to gently caress it up even harder, the cop confused the two and ended up executing yet another young black man.

poo poo is hosed up and I hate it.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

bassguitarhero posted:

I too believe that the cops are trying to start a race war, so that they may one day overthrow the night-skinned tyrant Barack

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

You are paranoid and delusional.

You're just naive in thinking these drat literal Nazis aren't just itching for RAHOWA so they can go rip-poo poo riot and mow down most of a town which they would somehow get away with because because. :tinfoil:

Or something like that anyway.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

A Winner is Jew posted:

Question for the thread:

I know that the initial 2-3 nights of cops going full military riot gear response was 100% County PD (except for 4 City PD doing traffic control), and I know that the City PD had been trolling the gently caress out of the Country PD because even they know they're loving incompetent, and I know that the State Troopers were tasked with taking over for the Country PD after those first 2-3 days. My question is has it just been the Country PD doing "riot control", or are we back to ACAB and the City PD and State Troopers are doing "riot control" now?

There were a bunch of City PD and State Troopers on the line last night.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

If someone is approaching a police officer aggressively with a knife, the officer's life is in immediate danger at that point and lethal force is justified.

Tazers, mace, and even gunshots to critical areas may not be sufficient to stop someone with a knife from landing a fatal blow.

At 20 feet or less, if the handgun is not drawn, it is totally useless if a suspect with a knife charges an officer, because that's the minimum distance required to charge someone before they can unholster, aim, and fire a gun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tueller_Drill

If a suspect is armed with a knife then the correct response is to have a firearm trained on him ASAP.

I'm surprised that this is even debated here.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I have a feeling things are gonna ramp up tonight. The latest shooting is justified, and a lot of protesters might be cognizant of that- but good luck on keeping that in the forefront of their minds when you start gassing and LRADing them again for no reason.

In a normal world, this poo poo would just complicate things, but with how most level of law enforcement have been a bunch of loving failures, good loving luck with that.

I hope both sides take a step back and go WTF, and I hope the protesters keep their cool.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 19, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Saw a billion new posts made in the last few minutes, thought something was happening. Nope just goons being goons.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

You're just naive in thinking these drat literal Nazis aren't just itching for RAHOWA so they can go rip-poo poo riot. :tinfoil:

The police in fergason (and most of the US) are poorly trained, poorly funded (MRAPS free from the govt is not the same as funding for other stuff), poorly staffed, not held accountable, not policed themselves, often racist as society is as well, trigger happy, militarized, and arrogant.

They are not literally trying to start a genocidal war against black people.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Jesus, I was hoping I went far enough there that it was obviously a joke.

Ah gotcha
VVV

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 19, 2014

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Fart Amplifier posted:

If someone is approaching a police officer aggressively with a knife, the officer's life is in immediate danger at that point and lethal force is justified.

Tazers, mace, and even gunshots to critical areas may not be sufficient to stop someone with a knife from landing a fatal blow.

At 20 feet or less, if the handgun is not drawn, it is totally useless if a suspect with a knife charges an officer, because that's the minimum distance required to charge someone before they can unholster, aim, and fire a gun.

If a suspect is armed with a knife then the correct response is to have a firearm trained on him ASAP.

Yet somehow police are not stabbed to death across Europe.

Yardbomb posted:

Jesus, I was hoping I went far enough there that it was obviously a joke.

I was addressing BGH.

HE4T
Aug 29, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The police in fergason (and most of the US) are poorly trained, poorly funded (MRAPS free from the govt is not the same as funding for other stuff), poorly staffed, not held accountable, not policed themselves, often racist as society is as well, trigger happy, militarized, and arrogant.

You have evidence for these claims or are you just jumping on the sensationalist bandwagon with buzzwords like "racist" "Trigger Happy" "militarized"? Honestly please stop with this. Its disingenuous and dangerous.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I blame social welfare for Europe's failure to address it's surplus of un-stabbed cops.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

HE4T posted:

You have evidence for these claims or are you just jumping on the sensationalist bandwagon with buzzwords like "racist" "Trigger Happy" "militarized"? Honestly please stop with this. Its disingenuous and dangerous.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3646642

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah even in cities like Glasgow where knife crime is endemic police don't get stabbed, and that's in a country where (until recently) it was utterly unacceptable for police to carry guns unless they were responding to a live fire situation.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
These last couple days of watching what's going on in Ferguson really remind me of the Stanford Prison Experiment. Tell a bunch of guys that they need to enforce law and order and keep the bad guys down and then give them a ton of over the top toys to reinforce that and they're all acting like they're the only thing keeping order in the world. It doesn't seem like it even occurs to them to turn up with anything less than every piece of crowd control (and surplus army gear) that they can find.

You really need 100 cops with AR15s to keep order, or are you just getting a power boner from ~showing your force.~

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

HE4T posted:

Quick, shoot him!

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

HE4T posted:

Cops rolling around gassing neighborhoods at 3am aren't trigger happy at all, you're right

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Doctor Butts posted:

The latest shooting is justified

Source?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Would you believe at least some of the police are looking for an opportunity to shoot "bad guys" though?

The latest shooting is possibly justified. Certainly more justified than Brown.

The reports I've seen still don't reflect well on the competency of the cops, but their incompetency having gotten them into the situation described they may well have been justified in using deadly force.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

Cops said

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss the days when riot cops just had billy clubs and shields, and there'd be a few of them milling around with side arms.

Having a whole firing line of cops just seems like one idiot pulling the trigger away from a whole square of protesters getting gunned down.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fart Amplifier posted:

Oh yeah, as long as the police description of the shooting isn't blatantly false, it's probably justified. I don't think that's going to make the optics of it any better, unfortunately I bet this is just going to fan the flames and unless the police de-escalate immediately (is it too late for that?) it's gonna get scarier I imagine.

I work in South-Central LA, if this were happening locally I would be very anxious :(

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Fart Amplifier posted:

It's debated because somehow the rest of the world doesn't murder everyone with a knife in hand and it works really well for them. Hell I posted a video a page ago of the London police dealing with an angry man, with a machete, actively charging them from less than 20 feet and surprisingly he survived the event! It's a miracle!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cuntpunch posted:

It's debated because somehow the rest of the world doesn't murder everyone with a knife in hand and it works really well for them.

To be fair, you can find plenty of videos of US cops dealing with people with guns without murdering them too.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Isn't the official police story that the officer had his gun trained on a fleeing Michael Brown then Michael Brown turned around and charged at the officer at which point the officer opened fire?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Cuntpunch posted:

It's debated because somehow the rest of the world doesn't murder everyone with a knife in hand and it works really well for them. Hell I posted a video a page ago of the London police dealing with an angry man, with a machete, actively charging them from less than 20 feet and surprisingly he survived the event! It's a miracle!
Lucky for them he was nice enough to wait while they rolled in with a busload of cops and a truckload of riot shields.

Or do UK cops normally patrol 30 deep?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

zen death robot posted:

Last night the riot control was handled by both State Troopers and County PD. I think the State Troopers are still in charge of the general crowd control operation though.

So aside from the shooting involving 2 city cops and the (possible mentally unstable) man with the knife just now have they been involved in the blatant use of excessive force against the protesters i.e. full military gear and not just traffic control?

Semiperimeter
Dec 24, 2013
In Sweden, the latest police shooting that caused a death was about a man attacking them with a knife. The statement from the police was they told him “stop, police”, he kept advancing so they shot once, he kept advancing so they shot him again. It is possible that is different in other parts of Europe, but in Sweden police will use firearms if they are in imminent danger from a knife attack.

The police will if it is possible, reason with the attacker, shoot warning shoots, aim for the legs and so on. There is also a debate every now and then in Sweden, if the police should have access to less lethal means of stopping people, but if you are attacking somebody with a knife and you cannot be talked down, the police will in the end shot you.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Isn't the official police story that the officer had his gun trained on a fleeing Michael Brown then Michael Brown turned around and charged at the officer at which point the officer opened fire?

If by 'official' you mean 'some woman who claims to be friends with the cop' then yeah I think so.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Ron Jeremy posted:

See again, cop went for his tazer against a prone, restrained guy, assuming you're talking about Oscar grant. Neither the gun or the tazer were appropriate, and to gently caress it up even harder, the cop confused the two and ended up executing yet another young black man.

poo poo is hosed up and I hate it.

Not to mention the other factors, like:
- The officer's gun weighs several times more than the tazer, so the weight if the weapon should have been a tip-off.

- The tazer had to be powered on by means of a power switch before it could be fired. If the officer grabbed his gun when he meant to draw a tazer, he should have realized his mistake when he went to operate a power switch which wasn't present.

So you had a cop who went to draw a tazer when it was wholly inappropriate, "accidentally" draws his gun without noticing the significant weight difference, and then operates the "tazer" in a manner that would have not worked but does fire his gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
Are there any streams on the ground at the site of the latest shooting? Sounds like tensions are rising and crowd's growing.

Edit: http://new.livestream.com/ktvi/live

• Locked thread