Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
poo poo Billy that sucks, hopefully you can recover something and/or shift the blame.

As to my sudden network outage our engineer found the problem (I think). A memory pointer error caused by a software bug in IOS. He's opened up a ticket with Cisco so until then I have hardware that could randomly reboot itself without warning..

code:
OM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(50r)SYS3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Uptime for this control processor is 5 hours, 20 minutes
System returned to ROM by software forced crash at 18:04:29 UTC Mon Aug 18 2014
System image file is "bootdisk:s2t54-ipservicesk9-mz.SPA.151-2.SY1.bin"
Last reload reason: unknown reload cause - reason ptr 0x17, PC 0x6DEC5A0, address 0x6DEC5A0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Billy the Mountain posted:

Just read entire contract. upon termination of contract and support services, we have 1 year to stop using the device and delete the software on it (A Zenith Licensed version of Shadow Snap is the backup agent they use). Nothing in the contract says anything about an automatic delete procedure.

Well, the client is a law firm. If it was a really really big law firm I'd short Zenith heh.

orange sky fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 19, 2014

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Hey guys, did you know that efi is programmed in c/c++? :smithicide:

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Just read entire contract. upon termination of contract and support services, we have 1 year to stop using the device and delete the software on it (A Zenith Licensed version of Shadow Snap is the backup agent they use). Nothing in the contract says anything about an automatic delete procedure.

Use the lawyer company to sue the cloud hosting company - problem solved :v:!

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Our company owns a number of resorts and hotels. In May of this year, we sold one of the resorts to a new ownership group. Right now the employees at that resort connect to a terminal server here in our office (different city, different province) and so as part of the sale agreement, we agreed to allow them to continue using the server here for a few months while they transition their users to a server run by the new owners. Now separate from this sale, our head office (where the old/current server is hosted) is moving to a building that won't have the bandwidth to serve them, and we knew that was going to happen long before the sale went through, so we made it very clear in the agreement that they had a drop-dead date of this coming Friday (when we move) to have their own poo poo set up.

I've spent the last 3 months telling their new IT people literally everything they need to do to have a replacement setup running (what software to use, which vendors supply that software, the phone numbers to those vendors, the helpful people at said vendors, etc.) I've done WAY more than a normal person would to try and help them get going but of course I hear nothing. I've tried to hold their hand and they've just ignored everything I've done.

It's t-minus 2 days, and he's just now wanting to do trial runs of the migration process.

Never mind that I'm having to coordinate with 13 other vendors and service providers in preparation for our office move, he thinks that I'm just going to drop everything for him and help with this poo poo. Sorry bud, you've had 3 months to prepare and you pissed it away doing whatever the hell you've been doing (I know for a fact he only procured the physical server yesterday). I had all the time in the world leading up to this, but for the last two weeks I've been inundated with having to go back and forth between our current office and the new office to work with electricians and ISPs and security systems and phone technicians and and and....

Of course now they won't stop texting me because they're freaking out. I've received more than 400 texts from him in the past 3 days asking the same questions over and over again (I swear, after this whole ordeal is over with, I'm going to have to change the sound my phone plays when it gets a text because it feels like I've got PTSD - every time it goes off, I just instinctively get angry), questions which I've answered in my original emails to them explaining what needs to happen. They don't have contracts with the vendors, they don't have the software setup, they're hooped.

Have fun explaining to your guests after Friday why you don't have a copy of their registration or a record of whether their room has even been cleaned.

I apologize for this just getting ranty but between the move and the migration, my stress levels are at their max and I needed to vent.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

nexxai posted:

Hotel stuff

This was the same experience I encountered both times a client sold a hotel. The purchasing group got 3 months and then did ???? with all that time and I couldn't get anyone to pay attention until 12:01am and the VPNs went bye bye

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

go3 posted:

This was the same experience I encountered both times a client sold a hotel. The purchasing group got 3 months and then did ???? with all that time and I couldn't get anyone to pay attention until 12:01am and the VPNs went bye bye
We've already got a secondary agreement in place that says once the VPNs go bye bye, we'll be charging an obscene hourly rate (which my boss will be providing 50% to me in the form of a performance bonus) for any kind of support until November. I can't wait for Saturday to hit! There will be tears shed for sure, although I can't rule out that some will be my own.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Billy that may be the most terrifying thing I've seen posted in this thread.

Don't ever stop updating.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

ratbert90 posted:

Hey guys, did you know that efi is programmed in c/c++? :smithicide:

Did you know that legacy BIOS is written in assembly (sometimes with call-outs to C, but not often), and that it has limited address space, which is why trying to use multiple cards with option ROMs often silently fails?

EFI is a massive improvement.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
A client complained that his computer was slow and that the new antivirus I installed was throwing pop ups "all the time." Looking back through my notes their antivirus subscription was nearing its end, so I figured it was just the usual noise trying to get them to resubscribe. And then I re-read the complaint; I haven't installed any "new" antivirus in almost a year...

It turns out that not only was this not a computer on the domain but it had never been managed or seen by my firm in the several years we've had them as clients. What's more, he hit the trifecta of software installations: Symantec, McAffe, and a rootkit. The two antivirus installations were both woefully out of date and fighting each other, while the rootkit was tossing up ads like there were no tomorrow, gleefully dancing on the ashes of what used to be a working computer.

But hey, at least it's a paycheck, and at least he couldn't figure out how to get it to connect to the server.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

eithedog posted:

Use the lawyer company to sue the cloud hosting company - problem solved :v:!

I can see Zenith as responding with, "prove it was us."

Seriously though, that is majority hosed up

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
Anyone else seeing Acrobat errors when Windows 7 is trying to generate thumbnails?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

pr0digal posted:

poo poo Billy that sucks, hopefully you can recover something and/or shift the blame.

As to my sudden network outage our engineer found the problem (I think). A memory pointer error caused by a software bug in IOS. He's opened up a ticket with Cisco so until then I have hardware that could randomly reboot itself without warning..

code:
OM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(50r)SYS3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Uptime for this control processor is 5 hours, 20 minutes
System returned to ROM by software forced crash at 18:04:29 UTC Mon Aug 18 2014
System image file is "bootdisk:s2t54-ipservicesk9-mz.SPA.151-2.SY1.bin"
Last reload reason: unknown reload cause - reason ptr 0x17, PC 0x6DEC5A0, address 0x6DEC5A0

There's an obscure bug where a specific rarely used show command will cause an entire line card to crash.

Yeah guess how we figured that one out.

Oh yeah, I work for an ISP so whoops there went two thousand customers. Of course Cisco's sitting on their rear end with that one since we seem to be the only people having problems, according to them.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Renegret posted:

There's an obscure bug where a specific rarely used show command will cause an entire line card to crash.

Yeah guess how we figured that one out.

Oh yeah, I work for an ISP so whoops there went two thousand customers. Of course Cisco's sitting on their rear end with that one since we seem to be the only people having problems, according to them.

poo poo, that sucks.

I'm sure their solution is "well don't use that command"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

pr0digal posted:

poo poo, that sucks.

I'm sure their solution is "well don't use that command"

I was on a P1 webex when it happened one morning and one of the Cisco guys suggested this.

Thankfully I'm smart enough to keep my phone muted because the reaction that got was hilarious. One of the senior admins verbally tore the guy a new rear end in a top hat.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Zemyla posted:

I can't jump to a specific page. That seems like a necessary feature that it's missing.

It will also randomly invert the colors in images sometimes, among other issues that don't really matter but will still generate a ticket for me to go and deal with.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So I have gone through a project of building a monitoring system from the ground up with a limited budget. We now have a noc-light area with displays displaying all the current system statuses just as you would expect. Things are beautiful.

My boss however is now coming to me wanting an entire screen dedicated to our wan link activity and the full details of whats going through it. Ugh. Anybody have any experience with someone simple and easy to read visually? Showing him the cisca ASA readouts is overloading him.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Something like nfsen if you want full netflow, or just mrtg if you want just throughput and stuff like that.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Sickening posted:

So I have gone through a project of building a monitoring system from the ground up with a limited budget. We now have a noc-light area with displays displaying all the current system statuses just as you would expect. Things are beautiful.

My boss however is now coming to me wanting an entire screen dedicated to our wan link activity and the full details of whats going through it. Ugh. Anybody have any experience with someone simple and easy to read visually? Showing him the cisca ASA readouts is overloading him.

Graphite+graphana+a backend

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Just got confirmation in broken English from a Gentleman named Jigar Gala from Zenith Infotech that even if you never actually click the "Decommission BDR" button, that by Canceling service and cloud storage service, they treat it as the same thing. They say it is to ensure this "old no longer used device no longer contains sensitive information", and is for our protection.

There is no way to stop this from happening, it is hard coded into their version of Shadow Protect.
There is no way to recover the data, it is secure wiped by some app they have hidden in the OS install just for this purpose.

Just had to tell the owner of my company of this.
Good Times.

I am getting drunk tonight.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Just got confirmation in broken English from a Gentleman named Jigar Gala from Zenith Infotech that even if you never actually click the "Decommission BDR" button, that by Canceling service and cloud storage service, they treat it as the same thing. They say it is to ensure this "old no longer used device no longer contains sensitive information", and is for our protection.

There is no way to stop this from happening, it is hard coded into their version of Shadow Protect.
There is no way to recover the data, it is secure wiped by some app they have hidden in the OS install just for this purpose.

Good Times.

How did the owner react? I can only imagine. :allears:

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

I timed my phone call to him when I knew he was meeting with prospective clients. I asked if he was free to talk, he said no. I said, Ok, please call me back as there is something you need to know before end of business today.

He said, "Hmm...OK, what is it?"

I explained in short order the situation and it's apparent finality.
He said he wasn't happy, but thanked me for informing him as soon as possible.

So remember kids, time those bad news calls to a time when your boss can't yell at you.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Good Times.

Brb, blacklisting Zenith.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That is incredibly hosed up. Glad the thing I work on doesn't do dumb poo poo like that.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I love that they make it sound like a feature.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

I timed my phone call to him when I knew he was meeting with prospective clients. I asked if he was free to talk, he said no. I said, Ok, please call me back as there is something you need to know before end of business today.

He said, "Hmm...OK, what is it?"

I explained in short order the situation and it's apparent finality.
He said he wasn't happy, but thanked me for informing him as soon as possible.

So remember kids, time those bad news calls to a time when your boss can't yell at you.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Feel Bad Story of the Year

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

nexxai posted:

We've already got a secondary agreement in place that says once the VPNs go bye bye, we'll be charging an obscene hourly rate (which my boss will be providing 50% to me in the form of a performance bonus) for any kind of support until November. I can't wait for Saturday to hit! There will be tears shed for sure, although I can't rule out that some will be my own.

Look on the bright side. The way these guys act, you're gonna be able to build a house out of dollar bills!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

ConfusedUs posted:

Look on the bright side. The way these guys act, you're gonna be able to build a house out of dollar bills!

Making money houses is always fun. If you know laziness will occur on the other end, having a horribly painful clause like that is always nice. you can sometimes double or even triple the original cost of the service provided by handing the company more and more rope with a hard deadline at the end.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Good Times.

There's no way this is legal right?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Veskit posted:

There's no way this is legal right?

Given that the deleted data is a law firm's, I have a feeling that the legality of it is very much going to be tested.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Khisanth Magus posted:

Given that the deleted data is a law firm's, I have a feeling that the legality of it is very much going to be tested.

Depends how large and what kind of law they practice.
Large and IP/Corporate Law? gently caress yeah get the popcorn. :black101:
Anything Small? Let's just hope we don't need that data. :shrug:
Large and any most other kinds of law? Welp, get <Large corporate law office> on the line, and get the popcorn. :black101:

J
Jun 10, 2001

Good Times.

Hopefully you don't have to take the fall for this stupid poo poo. :ohdear:

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I work for a law firm and I'm sitting on a train, absolutely aghast at that zenith thing.

Call zenith back. Get onto their management team. Demand a better explanation than you got from the tech.(the law firm may want you to go this far or further for an explanation)

Edit - lol holy loving poo poo. 5 years of archival? Christ.

Swink fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 19, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Swink posted:

I work for a law firm and I'm sitting on a train, absolutely aghast at that zenith thing.

Call zenith back. Get onto their management team. Demand a better explanation than you got from the tech.(the law firm may want you to go this far or further for an explanation)

Edit - lol holy loving poo poo. 5 years of archival? Christ.

This is the kind of thing I would hand to my boss and wash my hands of. At this point they may be in breach of contract or of law, and either way that poo poo is not only not my job, it's dangerous for me to even touch it. I'm a technology expert, I let the legal experts handle legal matters.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Zenith is apparently an incredibly lovely place to work: http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Zenith-Infotech-Reviews-E221001.htm

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Good Times.

If only your company had sprung for the Chromacolor II this might not have happened.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Hah, that's pretty much as I remember them. A home, small appliance manufacturer. Hell, I thought they had gone out of business since I haven't seen or heard poo poo from them in years.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Looks like they're India based instead of just outsourced, and not related to the tv manufacturer at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

Che Delilas posted:

This is the kind of thing I would hand to my boss and wash my hands of.

Oh hell yeah. This is definitely a 'call the boss' event. Client is at risk.

• Locked thread