Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
I saw Tiy buying some bread at the store, that son of a bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Cheswick posted:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but...
:toot: Hey, bread's on sale at the store!
:) Oh, hey, that's nice.
:toot: PSYCHE. IT'S NOT REALLY ON SALE AT ALL. TROLLED.

I didn't realize it was false, and didn't really care enough to check, so I guess that's egg on my face! I was super trolled.

Cheswick
Sep 7, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

I didn't realize it was false, and didn't really care enough to check, so I guess that's egg on my face! I was super trolled.

Yeah it doesn't help the legitimate discussion in the thread when people are intentionally posting fake information. Especially when it seems more reasonable than a lot of the ridiculous "facts" thrown around about CF and Starbound. I'm sure there will be lots of other cool stuff in the game, but I doubt Bartwe is coming back...

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you want to talk about Chucklefish can you just gently caress off into a game developer criticism thread or something. Bitch about Starbound in the thread all you want, but I honestly don't think anybody gives a poo poo. I'm unfollowing this thread thats my story ok bye

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Show us your birth certificate ChuckleFish. Or should I say HALALFISH!? :tinfoil:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Eonwe posted:

If you want to talk about Chucklefish can you just gently caress off into a game developer criticism thread or something. Bitch about Starbound in the thread all you want, but I honestly don't think anybody gives a poo poo. I'm unfollowing this thread thats my story ok bye

Hang out in IRC we miss you.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Vib Rib posted:

:toot: Hey, bread's on sale at the store!
:) Oh, hey, that's nice.
:toot: PSYCHE. IT'S NOT REALLY ON SALE AT ALL. TROLLED.

Yeah. Oh well.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Seriously, the OP hasn't been updated in seven months, this thread has about one post per page that's actually about starbound and the rest of it is people arguing about realestate in London while debating the hiring and salary practices of a company that to date shows 4.1 MILLION in sales since April 13, 2013, or a daily average of a little over $8300.

Which by the way even if they only offered you a 2% share is over $40k a year. I think that with operating costs it's safe to assume that you would probably end up with a larger percentage of a smaller number. But it isn't as if chucklefish offering even a small fraction of their income would leave you a beggar in the streets of London.

Is there a better way to keep up with the game than reading the news posts on their website? Or am I better off just forgetting the game exists until I get an email about release day?

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Or am I better off just forgetting the game exists until I get an email about release day?

Yes. See you in 2017!

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Is there a better way to keep up with the game than reading the news posts on their website? Or am I better off just forgetting the game exists until I get an email about release day?

Think about that for a moment. Just, mull it over.

"Is there a better place to get information about the game besides the source of all the information being released"

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

NotALizardman posted:

Yes. See you in 2017!

to be fair they'll probably have the matter manipulator changes implemented by early 2015, so you may wanna check back some time next year. Maybe they'll even have a portion of the planet bookmarking system ready to be tested on those content rich nightly updates by then.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I like Starbound

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Seriously, the OP hasn't been updated in seven months, this thread has about one post per page that's actually about starbound and the rest of it is people arguing about realestate in London while debating the hiring and salary practices of a company that to date shows 4.1 MILLION in sales since April 13, 2013, or a daily average of a little over $8300.

Which by the way even if they only offered you a 2% share is over $40k a year. I think that with operating costs it's safe to assume that you would probably end up with a larger percentage of a smaller number. But it isn't as if chucklefish offering even a small fraction of their income would leave you a beggar in the streets of London.

All of the games I bother playing post patch notes to Steam when they update, so when you see Starbound patching, you can check there to see what they added. Other than that, I am not sure why you wouldn't read their site to see what they are adding to the test builds, since that is where any info from any other site would probably be coming from anyway.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I like Starbound, the game, the one you play, and I don't give a poo poo about what Chuckle Fish does or doesn't do wrong, I just want them to continue working on the game I like for the money I paid them, "pre-ordering" the game, which they're clearly doing seeing how nightly has a bunch of new stuff.
Does that make me a bad person?

Kly posted:

to be fair they'll probably have the matter manipulator changes implemented by early 2015, so you may wanna check back some time next year.

Those are pretty sweet. I tried them out yesterday.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 19, 2014

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Can we just speculate about what we think changed in the nightly builds?

I've noticed them fine tuning the flashlight and hunger meter, and seemed to have fixed a bug with monsters not despawning when dying to poison damage.

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

It'd be tough to find what deeper changes occurred, seems like the most blatant changes are obvious from the blog posts

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

:gas:

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
:liquid:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Give me 2d pixel space hulk chucklefish...

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Babe Magnet, you're the Roman Space Bug guy, right? How's that mod coming?

Are you redesigning the spaceship?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Where's the game dev criticism thread? That sounds entertaining.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Babe Magnet, you're the Roman Space Bug guy, right? How's that mod coming?

Are you redesigning the spaceship?

Yo, yeah that's me. Mod's on hold until an actual stable (or even an unstable) update releases because I don't like dealing with the dailies and the json updates are going to invalidate a bunch of the things I'm working on. So I don't want to add any new bits and pieces yet, because that'll just be more work for me down the line.

Got a bunch of art in the wings ready to be applied to things though, like some furniture stuff and, yes, a ship update.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
That's actually pretty neat. Hopefully they'll incorporate it into some of the dungeons.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Shnooks posted:

Where's the game dev criticism thread? That sounds entertaining.
I believe this is the thread you are looking for http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506853

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

At least that thread has a built in reset button called Screenshot Saturday.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Supernorn posted:

http://playstarbound.com/august-18th-more-manipulation/

Lots of people talking about things they have no knowledge or understanding of in this thread so how about we keep it to talking about the actual game instead?
Now we just need combat with a fuckton of guns instead of swords which are all basically the same.
Also better spaceships but that sounds like it's on the way, dunno why in a block-building game in space building your own spaceship out of blocks was not an immediate priority

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

That's actually pretty neat. Hopefully they'll incorporate it into some of the dungeons.

I think that's the idea, I really do like starbound's lighting style, that little bunker looks pretty eerie with just the faint starlight showing through the windows and a few flickering lights. Really really would like to see something like that on a larger scale.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Goddamn that's going to be fun when full of enemies with guns and I only have my trusty rocket launcher and 2-handed axe. :black101:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
http://playstarbound.com/stats-and-scripts/

They're refactoring the Status & StatusEffect system to allow things to be easily changed around with lua scripting. This sounds loving fantastic for modding - it's pretty much one of the main things I was waiting for to make new weird environments that had strange effects on the player.

I wonder if it'll be robust enough to make bouncy blocks.

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

I'm treating this now as a giant art project until the next stable. Just trying to make a corridor!

Gridded rooms with lots of individual sections seems to look the best. Titanium blocks are the best to bring out rich colors with the paintgun.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Nice variety! I like what you've done with the idea. :)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm getting Sim Tower flashbacks

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
This is bullshit, unstable builds are updating constantly and some poo poo might not work?!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

unstable builds updating constantly?!

Fargin Icehole posted:

some poo poo might not work?!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

I demand a refund!

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Did they fiddle with the difficulty at all in the past few months? I just gave this another try, and fired up a character. I immediately ran into creatures and bandits that could two-shot me, as well as a meteor shower before my first night cycle.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Speaking of creatures, was this game going with randomly generated monsters for mobs? Or am I totally thinking of something else?

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Why did they remove rainbow barf and replace it with flamer breath?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Speaking of creatures, was this game going with randomly generated monsters for mobs? Or am I totally thinking of something else?

The mobs are procedural based on a set of different parts like heads, legs, body and tails.

Not sure how many variations it allows for though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AceClown posted:

The mobs are procedural based on a set of different parts like heads, legs, body and tails.

Not sure how many variations it allows for though.

Now, in my ignorance of how coding works, that explains why everything two-shots you. Since there's no set mobs and everything is just randomly cobbled together there's no set amount of damage one thing can do. Unless they do it by body type or something.

• Locked thread