Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Hollismason posted:

Also what's a cheap alternative for Zombie models ? I just bought Typhus and with my extra Helbrutes plan on running a Typhus Zombie Mech Horde.

I believe mantic do some decent, pretty much correct scale, cheap zombies.

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/kings-of-war/undead/product/undead-zombie-swarm-40-figures.html
E: £25 for 40, square bases though, but that's fixable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Karl Rove posted:

As someone who literally just started playing 40k and had the misfortune of thinking Grey Knights were pretty cool... gently caress my life. They took away the few things GK really had going for them and made the army objectively worse than before.

Oh noes they took away the no brainer S8 autocannons?

Honestly what do you think got worse? Share, darnit!

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

LordAba posted:

Oh noes they took away the no brainer S8 autocannons?

3 S8 autocannon platforms and S7 psycannons/asscannons for days were pretty much all GK had going for them. Same-y S7 short range shooting isn't super hot, especially on fragile razorback platforms. Hull points, the loss of Fortitude on the tanks, and just being 20 point marines was pretty hard on GK and the new book is only going to make them worse.

Although I am pretty pumped for cheap dreadknights for a laugh. Maybe with double force org you can pull in enough support to make them not terrible.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Are GKs the only codex since 6th to get fixed psychic powers on nearly all of their units?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Lord Twisted posted:

I believe mantic do some decent, pretty much correct scale, cheap zombies.

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/kings-of-war/undead/product/undead-zombie-swarm-40-figures.html
E: £25 for 40, square bases though, but that's fixable.

I'll need a US distributor. Those look great and what I want.

Here's the stupid army that will lose

Typhus 230
Chaos Sorcerer w/ Terminator Armour, Force Axe, (Sanctic/Telepathy) , Spell Familiar 150

Elites
5 Terminators w/ 2 Chainfists , Mark of Nurgle, 5 Combi-Meltas, 3 Power Mauls 251 points

Helbrute 100
Helbrute 100

Troops
15 Zombies 70
15 Zombies 70
15 Zombies 70
15 Zombies 70

H. Support
Maulerfiend 125
Maulerfiend 125
Maulerfiend 125

Formation
Murder Pack 525 Autocannon

So I got the 5 Helbrutes, the Terminators, Typhus (converted), Chaos Sorcerer, Maulerfiends (1), trying to convert two more.

Just need the Zombie models.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 19, 2014

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

LordAba posted:

e;fb:

Naramyth posted:

3 S8 autocannon platforms and S7 psycannons/asscannons for days were pretty much all GK had going for them. Same-y S7 short range shooting isn't super hot, especially on fragile razorback platforms. Hull points, the loss of Fortitude on the tanks, and just being 20 point marines was pretty hard on GK and the new book is only going to make them worse.
Psiriflemen were basically the only decent GK form of long-range anti-tank aside from having to blow points and space on lovely vehicles for a couple of TL lascannons. On top of that, Nemesis swords and halberds are worse, psycannons are worse, etc. From the sound of it this new codex is "we decided to remove all the actual perks of playing Grey Knights in exchange for making you use more lovely Dreadknights because we gotta move units."

Karl Rove fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 19, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What'd they change the Dreadknights too? Did they get marginally better rules?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ I heard the heavy psycannon is either large blast or 6 shots, which is a huge improvement.

The big question is how do the Grey Knights compare to Orks. If GW is using the same philosophy as the new Fantasy edition, everything is going to be hella balanced. I really don't mind that, but we will see if it lasts a full round.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Eh... not super thrilled about the Ork Codex or the Space Wolves codex.

Was actually very disappointed in the Ork codex and it only really getting one "new" model. I kind felt that was a rip off.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 19, 2014

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Karl Rove posted:

As someone who literally just started playing 40k and had the misfortune of thinking Grey Knights were pretty cool... gently caress my life. They took away the few things GK really had going for them and made the army objectively worse than before.

They found yet another way to gently caress nids over though!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hollismason posted:

What'd they change the Dreadknights too? Did they get marginally better rules?

They're the same price, but the personal teleporter dropped from 75 points to 30. All of its weapons dropped between 5 and 10 points.

Heavy Pycannon is Salvo 3/6 Rending or Heavy 1 Large Blast Rending.

Fix fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 19, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Orks and SW are both solid codexes. I think GW is adjusting the relative baseline effectiveness of armies so everything seems a bit off, but if you look at AM-Orks-SW they all seem pretty even. The lack of FOC manipulation is a big shock to the efficacy of some armies (Ork Bikers, etc) but now that it's becoming apparent that FOCs are more static people should get used to it.

Doesn't mean I'm not sad about the GK Terminators in my closet. :smith:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fix posted:

They're the same price, but the personal teleporter dropped from 75 points to 30. All of its weapons dropped between 5 and 10 points.

Its still won't get taken since it doesnt do a roll that Grey Knights need better than other units. Taking the Psybolt ammo off of Vehicles has killed their long range shooting outside of Stormravens.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Orks and SW are both solid codexes. I think GW is adjusting the relative baseline effectiveness of armies so everything seems a bit off, but if you look at AM-Orks-SW they all seem pretty even. The lack of FOC manipulation is a big shock to the efficacy of some armies (Ork Bikers, etc) but now that it's becoming apparent that FOCs are more static people should get used to it.

Doesn't mean I'm not sad about the GK Terminators in my closet. :smith:
I'd be alright if every future codex is about the level of the Ork or Space Wolves books. It would mean a shift downward in general power level, but as long as it is consistent throughout, that'd be fine. The problem is that this means that the good books printed in 6th will continue to be the top of a heap for potentially some time to come, translating into a lot of armies getting kicked directly in the junk and the Eldar/Tau/Bogeyman of the Week all get to jet around pounding your poo poo still.

Plus, the fact that "your Codex is part of an effort to balance the game!" doesn't really do much to make people feel better about losing units and strats. It makes you feel like you have good company in your misery, and that's about it.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Eh... not super thrilled about the Ork Codex or the Space Wolves codex.

Was actually very disappointed in the Ork codex and it only really getting one "new" model. I kind felt that was a rip off.

I'm actually really okay with them releases codices with no new models in an act to get all armies into 7th edition.

I'm very un-okay with them releasing lazy rule-ports that actually hurt the armies, or giving army X sweet tender love and care and then army Y a a bitchslap just to get them out. I'm not saying this happened to GK (I know nothing about the army or the new codex), but that would be most un-cool.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

I'm actually really okay with them releases codices with no new models in an act to get all armies into 7th edition.

I'm very un-okay with them releasing lazy rule-ports that actually hurt the armies, or giving army X sweet tender love and care and then army Y a a bitchslap just to get them out. I'm not saying this happened to GK (I know nothing about the army or the new codex), but that would be most un-cool.

Grey Knights werent very good before, they're a bit worse now but will dominate the psychic phase. So you have to go all in on one gimmick, which makes armies very unfun.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

serious gaylord posted:

Its still won't get taken since it doesnt do a roll that Grey Knights need better than other units. Taking the Psybolt ammo off of Vehicles has killed their long range shooting outside of Stormravens.

Oh, I agree. It's not looking particularly good.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Are regular GK terminators still troops?

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Grey Knights werent very good before, they're a bit worse now but will dominate the psychic phase. So you have to go all in on one gimmick, which makes armies very unfun.

That's very weird. I'm anxious to see what people end up doing with the codex, or if it just falls the way of the Sisters. Do people play them?

I imagine this GK codex is making Necron players wary about an update to their book.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

serious gaylord posted:

Does losing S8 make that much of a hit? I mean, the anny barge for necrons are amazing, and autocannon dreads have longer range plus an AP worth a drat. They still wound most infantry on a 2+ and will pop light vehicles. It's worse against monsters (in an army with force weapons) and heavier vehicles... but with the changes to the vehicle chart they would have to go for hull point deaths anyways.

Sucks, but does that single change dump them down that much? Were people using heavy bolter razorbacks with psybolt?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

LordAba posted:

Does losing S8 make that much of a hit? I mean, the anny barge for necrons are amazing, and autocannon dreads have longer range plus an AP worth a drat. They still wound most infantry on a 2+ and will pop light vehicles. It's worse against monsters (in an army with force weapons) and heavier vehicles... but with the changes to the vehicle chart they would have to go for hull point deaths anyways.

Sucks, but does that single change dump them down that much? Were people using heavy bolter razorbacks with psybolt?

AV12, the most popular value in the game for annoying as poo poo vehicles (Wave Serpents etc) just went from a 4+ to take a hull point, to 5+. That's going to make the difference.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

On the upside, they reconned the Nemesis Doomfist to just being a powerfist, thank god.

Edit: Hey AbusePuppy, what's this nonsense about Yarrick not being able to be Warlord?

Fix fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 19, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

That's very weird. I'm anxious to see what people end up doing with the codex, or if it just falls the way of the Sisters. Do people play them?

I imagine this GK codex is making Necron players wary about an update to their book.

GK are probably going to end up so far ahead in the psychic phase they'll at least be good in a niche. Not a whole lot of people played SoB before their codex update so it's a bit hard to gauge how it effected it.

I'm not sure when exactly in the timeline of development Mat Ward left but so far AM/Orks/SW have all been solid and relatively close in usefulness; whether this was because he left or because of 7th ed design choices is hard to say, but going forward I'd expect relatively positive stuff.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Master Twig posted:

I think this is a terrible ruling. Any one else seen someone try to argue this?

It's not unheard of. The solution is to mount all your flyers leaning forward on their flight stands- stupid ruling invite stupid play decisions! A lot of people will sputter about "modeling for advantage," but guess what, that's not actually a rule.

Esser-Z posted:

About how tall are Knights? Need to know what grade Zakus to use.

They're roughly 7" tall. Make sure you get something that is sufficiently bulky, though, because with Mega-Pauldrons and all that they end up being pretty wide as well.

Fix posted:

On the upside, they reconned the Nemesis Doomfist to just being a powerfist, thank god.

Edit: Hey AbusePuppy, what's this nonsense about Yarrick not being able to be Warlord?

So, Yarrick, as a Lord Commissar, has the Chain of Command special rule, which says that he can't be the Warlord for an army if there is a model with the Senior Officer rule in the primary detachment. You know, because of like military structure and stuff- it's a weird little limit on the Lord Commissar that essentially never comes up. However, Yarrick himself has the Senior Officer rule, so strictly RAW he can never be your Warlord if he is in an army with himself. Which is doubly ridiculous because he has a fixed Warlord trait.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Ok, but that's plainly stupid. That doesn't actually need clarifying in anyone's eyes, does it?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fix posted:

Ok, but that's plainly stupid. That doesn't actually need clarifying in anyone's eyes, does it?

Think about the type of people that said Terminators didn't have terminator armour. Then remember the shameful hobby you have.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Nooooooooo the Nemesis Doomfist :cry:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Careful, mah nigga, I love you but I suspect that bad things will happen again.

By the way, that santorum-coated dice is cocked, roll it agian.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

LordAba posted:

It makes dealing with A14 tanks way more of a headache, since you basically need to rely on lascannons and they can't get them in appreciable numbers (jesus christ I hate the land raider's sponsun setup so much). Even A12 tanks won't go down without a lot of consistently rolling, and that's not even beginning to talk about the severe reduction in volume of fire. At this point I'm going to go with the comedy option of a Techmarine with a conversion beamer, assuming they haven't removed that as well.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
AV15 and AV16 vehicles are comically strong in this edition :getin:

I don't think many people ever seriously played sisters since they are so poorly supported. I'm surprised they haven't cut them and GK/Inquisition enitrely, but you know, GW

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

ineptmule posted:

Nooooooooo the Nemesis Doomfist :cry:

Does this mean that a Dreadknight doesn't have a force weapon unless you take a Greatsword/Hammer? They found a way to make the hammer useful.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Does this mean that a Dreadknight doesn't have a force weapon unless you take a Greatsword/Hammer? They found a way to make the hammer useful.

This is correct, it comes with a pair of Power Fists, and you can upgrade one to either a Hammer (5pts) or Sword (10pts). The Sword is now just a Damonhammer with Master-crafted tagged on.

It does have Sanctuary, though, so 2+/4++ stock.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

serious gaylord posted:

24" range force weapons are not ok

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Eh. With it being Heavy (and thus not really useable by power armor guys), needing 6s to wound and 6s to hit against most relevant Tyranids and then getting your armor save, it's not THAT bad. It actually hurts stuff like TWC and such more, though it could be dangerous for some of the mid-sized bugs- but most of them are pretty bad right now already.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Sorry to shill, but I'm moving to Taiwan and am trying to get rid of the last of my 40k stuff. I've got a pair of sentinels and a few IG bits as well as other things if ya'll are interested:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3659052&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post433766192

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

YF19pilot posted:

Sorry to shill, but I'm moving to Taiwan and am trying to get rid of the last of my 40k stuff. I've got a pair of sentinels and a few IG bits as well as other things if ya'll are interested:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3659052&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post433766192

For what it's worth my friend's girlfriend is from Taiwan and claims there's a (relatively small but still) 40k community.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeah, I totally didn't see ranged Force weapons coming but I have to say I like it. It's a neat new option they snuck in there.

The Grey Knights community have been collectively trying to figure out what would make Psylencers not bad for years, and not a single person thought of making them Force weapons. It's a very neat and unique way to make a previously terrible weapon do a complete 180.

xtothez posted:

As a Tyranid player who got constantly stomped by Grey Knights when the last codex came out, this pleases me. Apparently Perils on Mindstrike missiles is also gone, which was the biggest gently caress You after gobs of crazy cheap S8 shooting.
There's a similar effect on the thrown profile for Psyk-out grenades now, except instead of 'all Psykers hit', it affects 'one randomly determined Psyker in the unit hit'.

Lord Twisted posted:

If Paladins got cheaper, a ML3 Terminator librarian + a 5 man squad of them with an Apothecary might be a nice support unit to have backfield or Deep Striking in on top of a Teleport Homer drop pod.
Paladins are the same cost, but the Apothecary upgrade is 55pts cheaper. Minimum squads of 3 though, so no more Solodins.
Anyone Justicar or above can take a Teleport Homer, but it's worded to only affect units in TDA or equipped with PTs.

Also, Purifiers are ML2 now. 250pts gives you two 5-man squads that grant you four warp charges. :getin:

BeigeJacket posted:

Was wondering the same thing. Can the dude who's got codex confirm?
That's spot-on. No new units or models at all. It's strange that GKs got the SoB treatment (albeit a little better, at least our codex is physical and has nice art and stuff) considering how popular they were in 5th from the FotM bandwagon-train.

xtothez posted:

Are GKs the only codex since 6th to get fixed psychic powers on nearly all of their units?
Could you imagine the book-keeping of keeping track of what 8 combat squads all rolled from the Sanctic tree, on top of your HQ choices? :suicide:

serious gaylord posted:

This. GKs can now activate their :catdrugs: Force guns :catdrugs: from well out of SitW-range. Also, every infantry model can throw an 8" range mini-Mindstrike grenade.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Are regular GK terminators still troops?
All units are in the same slot they were in previously, with the exception of Techmarines (HQ that doesn't take up a slot for each other HQ choice you have) and Dreads (Which went from Heavy Support to Elites, so that Paladins and Purifiers don't get too lonely).

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Synapse creatures getting eternal warrior has never been more needed.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

HiveCommander posted:

This. GKs can now activate their :catdrugs: Force guns :catdrugs: from well out of SitW-range. Also, every infantry model can throw an 8" range mini-Mindstrike grenade.

I don't think Tyranids have as much to fear from Force weapons as others. They have a pretty sizeable dice pool themselves and most major targets will get a bonus for either a) being a Psyker or b) being a better Psyker. The Mindstrike grenade is pretty good though, even if it has a 1/6 chance of backfiring and making their target go SSJ2 for a turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

PierreTheMime posted:

I don't think Tyranids have as much to fear from Force weapons as others. They have a pretty sizeable dice pool themselves and most major targets will get a bonus for either a) being a Psyker or b) being a better Psyker. The Mindstrike grenade is pretty good though, even if it has a 1/6 chance of backfiring and making their target go SSJ2 for a turn.

I thought Force was a blessing so you're only denying on 6's

• Locked thread