Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Epic High Five posted:

Airhammer for style, default for substance

It's kindof poo poo now - still decent against ESFs but not significantly better than the default, and it's worse at everything else at all ranges. Great for AI if you aren't used to nose guns that actually kill people and/or enjoy getting blown up instantly

What, you mean other empires don't have to hover kinda-stationary very close to infantry in order to farm them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Yeah VS seem to be really bad at dealing with sticky grenades lately, they're where I get the most non-teamkills from with them

Whereas with TR

code:
throw grenade
pubbie runs right in front of me
pubbie gets clipped by bullets
pubbie runs back, gets tagged by grenade
pubbie runs into the "safety" of 2 other teammates
three teamkills
cue angry tell to tiwddol or whining over proxchat
:smith:

I haven't had my first 8-12 kill on friendlies yet but I know it's coming.

Unrelated- I found a decent use for the Failstorm this morning. As it turns out that 60 round mag. is pretty good when combined with a Conc. bandolier HA. Concs apparently make the MLG turbospergs pretty mad too :getin:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

o muerte posted:

Unrelated- I found a decent use for the Failstorm this morning. As it turns out that 60 round mag. is pretty good when combined with a Conc. bandolier HA. Concs apparently make the MLG turbospergs pretty mad too :getin:
I actually like the Hailstorm. 60 round mag on a SMG is really neat. Everybody always talks up the Tross's crazy-rear end DPM, but nobody mentions the Hailstorm has almost as much DPM as an uncerted MAX arm and slightly better DPM than the MSW-R. :smith:

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Nakar posted:

I actually like the Hailstorm. 60 round mag on a SMG is really neat. Everybody always talks up the Tross's crazy-rear end DPM, but nobody mentions the Hailstorm has almost as much DPM as an uncerted MAX arm and slightly better DPM than the MSW-R. :smith:

Yeah, the problem with the Failstorm there is how long it takes to dump all that damage in to someone. Now account for CoF bloom and needing to burst at range, then account for the fact that they (or you) are dead after you've dumped ~12-20 bullets and DPM becomes somewhat irrelevant there. In a doorway hold situation I'd still rather have an MSW for the DPS (otherwise enjoy all those assists.)

Fans posted:

I use it as a slightly shittier SOAS-20 with a far bigger mag and it works pretty well.

I've been going back and forth about how I want to use it. I tried grip/comp but I find the ALS more useful on it since SMG effective range due to falloff is so bad. You really need to charge and close for it to be effective, and in doing so you're often not prepared and already in ADS when someone comes in to range. :shrug: I can't tell yet, I've only got 200 kills with it.

o muerte fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 19, 2014

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I use it as a slightly shittier SOAS-20 with a far bigger mag and it works pretty well.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

o muerte posted:

Yeah, the problem with the Failstorm there is how long it takes to dump all that damage in to someone. Now account for CoF bloom and needing to burst at range, then account for the fact that they (or you) are dead after you've dumped ~12-20 bullets and DPM becomes somewhat irrelevant there. In a doorway hold situation I'd still rather have an MSW for the DPS (otherwise enjoy all those assists.)

I've been going back and forth about how I want to use it. I tried grip/comp but I find the ALS more useful on it since SMG effective range due to falloff is so bad. You really need to charge and close for it to be effective, and in doing so you're often not prepared and already in ADS when someone comes in to range. :shrug: I can't tell yet, I've only got 200 kills with it.
I think people overstate the "how long" part. 125/800 is not great DPS, but it's comparable to 147/698 and that's tolerable. Considering you have 75% ADS when you aim and 100% movespeed when you're able to hipfire (which is most of the time, because that's what SMGs do), it's not really so bad. Having an incredibly deep mag like that makes it a much better weapon for HAs who can engage multiple targets with their overshield, as opposed to Infiltrators who tend to gank single targets and are much better off with the Armistice's "I win any 1v1 fight unless you brought a pump" traits.

I also found that SMGs with a Grip aren't nearly as bad at range as I expected them to be, although part of that is the NS7 which is a better weapon than I was giving it credit for (and the NS7 is somewhat competitive with the Hailstorm, albeit with noticeably worse magazine capacity).

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Pand posted:

Nah, it just isn't op against air anymore. Afaik its AI potential was untouched.

So, a pile of crap then.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Nakar posted:

I think people overstate the "how long" part. 125/800 is not great DPS, but it's comparable to 147/698 and that's tolerable. Considering you have 75% ADS when you aim and 100% movespeed when you're able to hipfire (which is most of the time, because that's what SMGs do), it's not really so bad. Having an incredibly deep mag like that makes it a much better weapon for HAs who can engage multiple targets with their overshield, as opposed to Infiltrators who tend to gank single targets and are much better off with the Armistice's "I win any 1v1 fight unless you brought a pump" traits.

I also found that SMGs with a Grip aren't nearly as bad at range as I expected them to be, although part of that is the NS7 which is a better weapon than I was giving it credit for (and the NS7 is somewhat competitive with the Hailstorm, albeit with noticeably worse magazine capacity).

The Hailstorm got buffed in April to be one of the most accurate SMG's along with the NS7. Though the NS7's damage lasts a lot further out, in exchange for it's lower RPM and comparatively tiny magazine. I use the Hailstorm as an ADS gun purely because if I was using it as a hipfire gun I might as well just use the Armistice.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Really, I don't think there's even such a thing as a bad SMG. Having ADS bloom in hipfire is probably just one of the most OP things any gun can have, and they're all 75% ADS on top of that as gravy. Their ADS not being exceptional at a distance due to low velocity/bad damage/poor tolerance is practically the only reason not to use SMGs at all times in every loadout, and the NS7 is very close to being viable even for that (lol 18m of max damage which is totally hipfire range and only drops off two tiers anyway). To say nothing of the Cyclone, which is straight-up viable in a carbine role.

So really, the Hailstorm is just the highest-capacity high-capacity SMG, with slightly better accuracy than the Sirius/Blitz for that. Second-gen SMGs are still awesome, so I don't see why the Hailstorm should catch poo poo. I also should note that both the Lynx and NS7 have that whole "drops from 125 to 100" thing going on and surprise surprise, it turns out having really good relative minimum damage is kind of awesome. The only difference there is that the NS7's RPM makes it balanced and the Lynx's makes it wildly overpowered, but hey, can't have everything as a TR LA (you have to roll TR Medic for that).

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The thing that matters for the Lynx and NS-7 is their drop off is a lot further out than the Hailstorms which starts at the same distance as all the other Gen 1 and 2 SMG's. Heck the longer damage drop off range is the thing every TR Forumite ignores about the Lynx so they can insist it's just an SMG and a bad carbine (It's not it's amazing).

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Fart Car '97 posted:

So, a pile of crap then.

Pretty much what you would expect out of SOE when it comes to the word "shotgun".

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

LuiCypher posted:

Pretty much what you would expect out of SOE when it comes to the word "shotgun".

To be entirely fair, the C85 has been upgraded to, "kinda serviceable sometimes I guess?" and I've converted my joke Canrasser loadout into a very serious Harasser hunter loadout

The things it does to PPA turdrassers is grisly and I love it

It's still going to need a bigger mag to be actually viable over a Bulldog or even Halberd but hey it's got a niche now

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Fart Car '97 posted:

So, a pile of crap then.

It isn't too far off from the light PPA while still kinda decent against air. But yeah, you are probably much better off going Mustang/Breaker.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Evilreaver posted:

What, you mean other empires don't have to hover kinda-stationary very close to infantry in order to farm them?

The TR just get a flying Carv... That shoots exploding bullets.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Pand posted:

Nah, it just isn't op against air anymore. Afaik its AI potential was untouched.

Being OP against other air was all the air hammer had going for it. :(

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Gaghskull posted:

Being OP against other air was all the air hammer had going for it. :(

:shrug: I know. Maybe after the love the enforcer modified got the AH gets some AI mojo ?

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Don't use the Canister, it's a lovely gun for lovely players. Take my word on it!

Edit: And a bonus

What I'm saying is nerf ZOE.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The AH will gently caress up MAXes. That's about it though.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Broose posted:

This is on a VS character, right?

Smoke chat: Is being able to see through smoke with the HSNV sights a settings thing? Whenever I've tried to see into smoke with it, it's just as hard cause everything is white.
It's not. The IRNV sights however show moonlight reflections so looking at angles where moonlight shines will actually blind you.

It doesn't do this for sunlight because :soe:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
IRNV scope visibility is absolutely a factor on graphics settings. It's almost unusable on Medium, but tolerable on Low and functional on High.

Occasionally you will still be blinded though, that's just a daytime Esamir thing or a thing in certain bases or areas.

kidRiot
Dec 14, 2007

"I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you're only going to kill a man."

Westy543 posted:

Don't use the Canister, it's a lovely gun for lovely players. Take my word on it!

Edit: And a bonus

What I'm saying is nerf ZOE.

What loadout you running on that Harasser? May tag along next time I see you online.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Why is there so much hate for the MkV suppressed? I'm trialing it now and it seems like a nice gun :confused:

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Fart Car '97 posted:

Why is there so much hate for the MkV suppressed? I'm trialing it now and it seems like a nice gun :confused:

The suppressor in general isn't popular among the better players, mainly.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
There are some cases I like to use suppressors (buildings mostly) but the fact it doesn't actually reduce the audible range of your weapon is incredibly :soe:.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Fart Car '97 posted:

Yeah, it's alright imho. I'm 300 kills or so shy of the aurax and it makes a nice silenced smg/carbine hybrid. (is there much hate for it?)

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Do we have any actual suppressor data now that the attachment spergsheet is available? I know the mantra is "suppressors ruin your damage" but I don't see any damage adjustment effect listed.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Bullet velocity. I'd use it in a heartbeat if I could equip HVA to partially compensate for the suppressor.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

o muerte posted:

Do we have any actual suppressor data now that the attachment spergsheet is available? I know the mantra is "suppressors ruin your damage" but I don't see any damage adjustment effect listed.

Bullet velocity. I'd use it in a heartbeat if I could equip HVA to partially compensate for the suppressor.

Not the damage - the dropoff. Compare the Magshot to the Executive. Magshot hits minimum damage at 60, the Exec at 40m. Which seems to be the result of the lower velocity (375 to 188). It's not that you do less damage, it's that the dropoff happens like 50% faster.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

kidRiot posted:

What loadout you running on that Harasser? May tag along next time I see you online.

Fire suppression, scrapper, composite armor. Might give stealth a try soon. I primarily use my Harassers for hunting infantry, so composite helps most against that.

Also, tree and I were amused by you bumming in the back of the Harasser last night, BobMcFartsens. :v:

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Highlights of last nights Canrasser: random Goon riding in the back seat; a pubbie asking "DO YOU WANT US TO GET ANGRY AT YOU OR SOMETHING!?" in yell after we killed him a few time while /yelling HOOONK, West simply responding "Yes!", and the pubbie getting mad; one clipping multiple Harassers come to hunt us down; shenanigans on the point at Ixtab west; West running over 6 guys in one turbo cause they were stupid and lined up; and a bunch more West ram kills.

Sharkrasser is actual.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Canrasser is my new favorite vehicle to drive. I use Racer instead of Scrapper though, because gottagofast. The only thing that seemed to put a damper on it was AV MAX spam, which is unfortunately frequent post-Nanites. Vortex is the shittiest in particular, since you can't be a driving nutter and evade point-click poo poo.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Horizontal Tree posted:

Highlights of last nights Canrasser: random Goon riding in the back seat; a pubbie asking "DO YOU WANT US TO GET ANGRY AT YOU OR SOMETHING!?" in yell after we killed him a few time while /yelling HOOONK, West simply responding "Yes!", and the pubbie getting mad; one clipping multiple Harassers come to hunt us down; shenanigans on the point at Ixtab west; West running over 6 guys in one turbo cause they were stupid and lined up; and a bunch more West ram kills.

Sharkrasser is actual.

The best part is that you can pull it over and over and over again!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i love pulling vulcan harassers for victory but it is kinda tiring but unable to deal with saronrassers or canrassers

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Ok, so apparantly if you say "oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo what the heelllll" over and over to your computer you actually turn invisible in this game and can defuse SCUs easily.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnIS-IratDY

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
edit:wrong thread

Pomp fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 20, 2014

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So the saying Nobody looks up in this game can't be more true.. add I was just sitting above people killing them with an extremely obvious ML-7 Rocket launcher. I dont understand how you cannot see where that is coming from.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Is Emerald unbearably laggy for anyone else tonight? I'm dying to instakills from PDWs, shotguns are appearing next to me out of thin air and vehicle HE is killing me 3-5 seconds after I've taken cover in a building. It's basically unplayable right now, it's like rolling dice every time I see someone I want to shoot.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

o muerte posted:

it's like rolling dice every time I see someone I want to shoot.

40k fans must be enjoying the game right now then...

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Welp, just golded my Canister-H from solo Harassing. If I don't end up finding a worthwhile driver I swear I'm going to go crazy. People either drive and flip it immediately within 10m or drive into a pack of infantry or tanks and just feed kills to them.

BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

Westy543 posted:

Fire suppression, scrapper, composite armor. Might give stealth a try soon. I primarily use my Harassers for hunting infantry, so composite helps most against that.

Also, tree and I were amused by you bumming in the back of the Harasser last night, BobMcFartsens. :v:

That was fun, got a few Shrike shots off. Canrasser is a sight to behold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
After some talk about the Hailstorm I thought I'd try it out last night on my Infil to see how it's doing and holy poo poo if I didn't go on a murdering spree with it. I'll have to keep it up to see if it sticks but something about the gun really clicked for me.

I also got TK'd by TR three times in a row, they are the best faction.

• Locked thread