Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Mimicuties are the kind of things I dislike in games. There's just something really nightmare fuelish about fake objects in games that scare the poo poo out of 27-year-old me.

Piano from Big Boo's Haunt confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Echo Chamber posted:

Mimicuties are the kind of things I dislike in games. There's just something really nightmare fuelish about fake objects in games that scare the poo poo out of 27-year-old me.

Yeah gotta agree there... Yikes! :stonkhat:

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Astro Nut posted:

Veteran's sale starting tomorrow.

Oh! Fire Emblem is coming to the PAL eshop? Hopefully doesnt take to long to come over. Although having Sacred Stones on my 3ds and Blazing Sword on the Wii U will feel really weird.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
Mimics..... I hate mimics...

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Echo Chamber posted:

When I read the first sentence I assumed the rest would be about how game designers try to punish you for going after things you've been conditioned to want, but then apparently it turns out putting legs on a box is the new slenderman or something

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
On the topic of "characters I want in smash but will never be in in a million years" (because I know we all love to come back to this): Quote, with a Curly Brace alt.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Mimics are one of the coolest monsters in games, one of my faves.

I'm not really getting this "too spooky" thing y'all are throwing out. Then again, I don't really get being scared of weird poo poo that isn't real. I can think of things that would make me afraid, like threats to my well being, or things that will harm me. Mimics? Not even real. Ghosts, gublins, cockroaches, whatever, if it ain't real or it ain't going to kill you...

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

Astro Nut posted:

Man this new Press Your Luck reboot is weird.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Fulla Lizards! posted:

Man this new Press Your Luck reboot is weird.

Whammies would be the goofiest assist trophy, I imagine they'd just strut over and hit your stock/percentage with a mallet.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Mimics suck, especially in Dark Souls. You get killed once, unfairly and now you get to just spend an extra 10 mins in every area smacking a chest before you open it. If they weren't literally the goofiest thing ever it'd probably bug me more. I just can't stay mad at dark souls.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Echo Chamber posted:

How can you find mimicuties nightmare-fuelish? I mean, monsterish mimics like those rear end in a top hat ones in the Borderlands 2 DLC maybe, I mean you go to open up a box like you've done hundreds of times in Borderlands, then it suddenly turns into this thing, yeah I might understand that. But mimicuties?

They're nothing but nice legs and a big chest, what's to be terrified of? :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Countblanc posted:

When I read the first sentence I assumed the rest would be about how game designers try to punish you for going after things you've been conditioned to want, but then apparently it turns out putting legs on a box is the new slenderman or something
It was kind of funny in Uprising because Magnus is like 'this is blatantly a trap' and then Pit is all 'treasure!' and the game basically convinces you to go grab it despite just blatantly telling you it's a trap.

Also Mimicutie's still dropped treasure when defeated so it wasn't so bad. It's when mimics are hard to kill and give you no treasure that they're a pain.

EDIT: Also I like how DK's games are loving ancient and maybe a dollar cheaper due to their already low price, instead of them putting DKCR on sale or something.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

HJE-Cobra posted:

How can you find mimicuties nightmare-fuelish? I mean, monsterish mimics like those rear end in a top hat ones in the Borderlands 2 DLC maybe, I mean you go to open up a box like you've done hundreds of times in Borderlands, then it suddenly turns into this thing, yeah I might understand that. But mimicuties?

Haha yeah the mimics in BL2 are great. I had one friend who seemed to get hit with a mimic every time he'd get to a chest first. Never got old hearing him freak the gently caress out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Countblanc posted:

Behold THE HORROR

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

HJE-Cobra posted:

Zero Suit Mimicutie for Smash.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Also those fake doors from Ocarina of Time. And that fake energy tank from Metroid Fusion.

I know this is a weird derail.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I always thought Electrode was p. cool even though it was just a inverse pokeball with a face.

And people make fun of the gen 5/6 designs.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Echo Chamber posted:

And that fake energy tank from Metroid Fusion.

That jerk still gets me every time. I know one of the pickups is really a mimic, but I never remember which one it is.

Then again, I laugh about it instead of freaking out.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Endorph posted:

I always thought Electrode was p. cool even though it was just a inverse pokeball with a face.

I dunno, somehow "inverted Pokeball with a face" seems less offensive than "literally a key-ring with a face."

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

It was kind of funny in Uprising because Magnus is like 'this is blatantly a trap' and then Pit is all 'treasure!' and the game basically convinces you to go grab it despite just blatantly telling you it's a trap.

Also Mimicutie's still dropped treasure when defeated so it wasn't so bad. It's when mimics are hard to kill and give you no treasure that they're a pain.

No, they usually don't. The best example I can think of is when you're forced to fight three Mimicuties in Chapter 24, and none of those drop anything.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I dunno, somehow "inverted Pokeball with a face" seems less offensive than "literally a key-ring with a face."

In what ways?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Astro Nut posted:

I how they didn't eve put the real pokemon game (X/Y) on sale, just the wierd offshoot stuff no-one I know plays.

Endorph posted:

I always find the complaints about Trubbish/Garbador funny, because Grimer and Muk are pretty much the same thing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

In what ways?

Yeah, Klefki isn't offensive at all.

It's more support, really.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Klefki is cute as gently caress.

And 90% of the gen 1 pokemon were just normal rear end animals. This is seel. It's a loving seal. Iunno I feel like Klefki is at least slightly more inventive than that because at least it's something you wouldn't normally think of as sentient, as opposed to 'this is a big rear end crab.'

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

Austrian mook posted:

Mimics suck, especially in Dark Souls. You get killed once, unfairly and now you get to just spend an extra 10 mins in every area smacking a chest before you open it. If they weren't literally the goofiest thing ever it'd probably bug me more. I just can't stay mad at dark souls.

The best thing about Dark Souls mimics is that in DS2 they knew you'd go around attacking chests before opening them, so they made chests breakable, permanently destroying the item inside for the entire playthrough.

:darksouls:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Millions posted:

The best thing about Dark Souls mimics is that in DS2 they knew you'd go around attacking chests before opening them, so they made chests breakable, permanently destroying the item inside for the entire playthrough.

:darksouls:

If you swung more than like 3 times yeah. But you always just swing once and then continue swinging if an HP bar appears so as long as you're not a massive idiot you never broke anything.

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I mean atleast Klefki has an explanation for why it exists, its a fairy that steals keys because it likes keys

also its cute as hell and electrode isn't so points for gen 6

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Smashboards is saying that new Famitsu scans from today are showing a room that hasn't been in any previous screenshots and is part of the stage select screen, at a different camera angle, in the Tomodachi Life level.

I think we need something more substantial before this is cemented but that leak might be legit.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Kurtofan posted:

In what ways?

It offends my sensible sensibilities.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Hey everyone, this weeks weekly Famitsu will be talking about Pac-man and Meta Knight!

Here's the first page, rest of the translations coming soon. Posting from phone, so sorry about the links. Thanks to Kantopia - new and previius scans will be here.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Isn't that just a standard room in TL though? Like something that would take 5 seconds to overlay into a square area?

Edit: regarding the "leak"

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Moriatti posted:

Isn't that just a standard room in TL though? Like something that would take 5 seconds to overlay into a square area?

Edit: regarding the "leak"

Tomodachi Life rooms are four-sided and I don't know if their layouts correspond 1:1 to the layouts in the Smash Bros level. It's possible, though. Like I said, this is just something small that points to it maybe being more than just a talented artist with some free time.

I don't think there's an easy way to get a shot like that out of Tomodachi Life though, the cameras are usually inside the apartments, there's no diorama style open-wall stuff. It's all close-in angles to the Miis, usually looking down from above. You could totally recreate it in a blurry photo though I guess, if you somehow guessed that particular room out of the hundreds in the game was in Smash.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 20, 2014

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

One of the leaks in the next month is going to be real and we're going to reject it outright. It will be awesome.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Zero suit samus may cause leaks

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

codenameFANGIO posted:

One of the leaks in the next month is going to be real and we're going to reject it outright. It will be awesome.

I rejected the Fairy type, almost everything XY-related, Kingdom Hearts III being shown at E3, and if the news didn't come from Sakurai, I would've rejected almost everything SSB4-related too.

Bring it on, I am a master of rejecting. I shall reject everything.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
It looks to me like it just looks a bit different because of the angle. In the leak the room is on the top floor, and in the Famitsu scan it's in the lower left. Don't the rooms in that stage randomize? :raise:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
RE: mimic talk, I remember there was fake barrels in the Donkey Kong Country games that would scare the hell out of me as a child. I'd be in the zone, about to grab me some barrel and then BAM it would let out this really abrupt scream, sprout arms and a stupid face and go from 0 to 90MPH immediately. I think it was my first experience with a jump scare. I was at least a little startled every drat time they showed up.

I also recall some of the ones in DKC3 would knock out a whole life every time they bumped into you (not like you would die, they would just perpetually drain lives) so there was also some panic mode associated there.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Pros of this leak: Duck Hunt

Cons: Bowser Jr, Dark Pit being a separate clone character for some reason, no Ice Climbers, Bowser motherfucking Jr, ok bowser jr might not be bad if they have koopaling alt skins, no Chorus Men or Professor Layton

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
No Chorus Men seriously sucks, I loving love those little dudes. Also Bowser Jr could be a cool dude since a magical paintbrush is a pretty neat weapon, and at the very least no one else will main him so that's already indie gamer cred right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Bowser Jr. is fine and people who active dislike him are weird.

• Locked thread