Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Splode posted:

I thought Purple hearts had to be awarded to you?

People sell them. Usually grand kids who are assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Splode posted:

I thought Purple hearts had to be awarded to you?

He says he got it in an antique shop, though I thought it was illegal to sell them. It doesn't really matter how he got it in the end unless it was awarded to him.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, there are 2 million of these things in the world?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lot of people get shot in the rear end in wars.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

This is why you should be careful about private tournaments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EE7pBoPejE

So is there some gameplay aspect to what this guy's doing? Or is he just following some streamer around, joining his games, and spamming poo poo in chat?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Captain McStabbin posted:

So is there some gameplay aspect to what this guy's doing? Or is he just following some streamer around, joining his games, and spamming poo poo in chat?

Yeah pretty much, though you could argue it obscures an important part of the screen (dumb place to put the chat Blizzard, geez.)

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Captain McStabbin posted:

I think he's exploiting a bug in Battle.net to change his name and get in the tournament. Either that, or he's repeatedly buying name changes, which is more sad than anything really.

When he does get in, he spams racist poo poo, then he shuts off his router for a few seconds and turns it back on. This causes the match to pause and wait for him to reconnect. He can do this repeatedly until the 60-second timer runs out.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

RatHat posted:

Most were made in the early 40's in anticipation of the invasion of mainland Japan. The surplus are still being given out IIRC

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

It's not griefing. It's stupid and half their YouTube channel is with jace who is basically retarded and the easiest person in the world to gently caress with.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
You can buy purple hearts. The medal itself is totally available for purchase. Anyone griefed by that is ignorant of how medals work. Hell, I think the US hasn't printed any new Purple Hearts since WWII, because of the massive expected casualties for an invasion of Japan.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That was a pretty good troll Japan pulled I guess.

Fastball LIVE in concert
Jul 10, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Lot of people get shot in the rear end in wars.

http://youtu.be/hQwWaWFjd0Y

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

RatHat posted:

He says he got it in an antique shop, though I thought it was illegal to sell them. It doesn't really matter how he got it in the end unless it was awarded to him.

In some countries they are, for instance South Africa. The US does not have this law. What makes it illegal in other countries is the fact that they inscribe the order number on it. If you are caught wearing that medal or having it in your possession, you can see jail time. This was explained to me as I was trading my dress uniform for a South African's at an international shooting competition on a bet. Cause I did ask why I couldn't keep the medals.

The US has an ordering system for awards, and without those orders, you cannot wear that award. You can literally buy just about every award the US has to offer online, so no, it doesn't matter how he got it. Nor does it matter which one it is, because they really don't start keeping track and inscribing medals until much later. And you don't even wear medals, you wear ribbons.

If it was a MoH, I'm sure that there would be some backlash because those aren't exactly floating around. Same with a VC

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Sneaking into sponsored matches and disrupting them with spam and connection issues is honestly great. I also love how people in this very thread get upset at the griefing videos.

RatHat posted:

Want to point out the dude doing this griefing uploaded a video of him destroying a Purple Heart he bought just to be a dick.
Just to be a dick? Oh no!

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Soulex posted:

If it was a MoH, I'm sure that there would be some backlash because those aren't exactly floating around. Same with a VC

For info from here:

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/119157-medal-of-honor-buyingsellingpossession/

"If you’re living in the United States, the simple answer is, you can’t. The sale of Medals of Honor is regulated by federal law, specifically Title 18, United States Code, Section 704. The law prohibits the buying, selling, trading, importing, exporting, or bartering for anything of value for a Medal of Honor. The law makes no mention of inheriting a MOH, or gifting one, so the only way you can legally obtain one is if you are given or inherit one. "

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Ogrel72 posted:

For info from here:

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/119157-medal-of-honor-buyingsellingpossession/

"If you’re living in the United States, the simple answer is, you can’t. The sale of Medals of Honor is regulated by federal law, specifically Title 18, United States Code, Section 704. The law prohibits the buying, selling, trading, importing, exporting, or bartering for anything of value for a Medal of Honor. The law makes no mention of inheriting a MOH, or gifting one, so the only way you can legally obtain one is if you are given or inherit one. "

The gifting bit seems a huge loophole. "How did I come by this medal? Well it was gifted to me, you see. Coincidentally, at the same time I happened to purchase a gum wrapper from him for $5000."

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

regulargonzalez posted:

The gifting bit seems a huge loophole. "How did I come by this medal? Well it was gifted to me, you see. Coincidentally, at the same time I happened to purchase a gum wrapper from him for $5000."

To be fair though, I wouldn't really give a crap if someone spent a fortune to buy one just to have. You can't just go around wearing it, and most actual (ex) military folks if they ever see that 13 star ribbon on a uniform blouse are going to ask more than a few questions.

Example:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e96_1406050224#2vwWTIyoKZ4xiQt1.99

Most fakes are just as pathetic as this guy.

Oh and actual MEDALS on a uniform? Unless its AT the awarding ceremony, or on a Mess Dress uniform its usually fake.

(sorry for the derail)

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 18, 2014

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Apparently LoL is trying to kind of stop the horrible toxic players. Player gets banned and admin calls them out on their poo poo by posting logs.

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=49376985

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Here's a better one.

quote:

Post chatlogs, I know I had at least 1 or 2 games but that resulting in a 2 week ban is unjustified, I should at least have more chat restrictions and/or decrease it to 7 days.

Edit: My inital chat restrict was 100.

Lyte (Riot employee) posted:

After further review, your ban has been permanently closed for excessive verbal abuse, racial slurs, indirect death threats, and more.

quote:

Ok? So can we like pretend I never made this thread and I keep the 2 week ban?

Dude's an obvious troll though. Doubt he was really attached to his (secondary) account.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I recall seeing a similar thing happening on the Xbox forums. A mother opened up a thread for her "innocent" son and wanted an explanation why his XBox Live account was de-activated. Turns out he was exposing himself to people via the kinect camera.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

VanSandman posted:

You can buy purple hearts. The medal itself is totally available for purchase. Anyone griefed by that is ignorant of how medals work. Hell, I think the US hasn't printed any new Purple Hearts since WWII, because of the massive expected casualties for an invasion of Japan.

Generally Army surplus stores will have those and other medals available to buy. Friend of mine's grandfather earned one and was buried with it, so the family bought another one and placed it by his picture on their mantle.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mierenneuker posted:

Here's a better one.

Dude's an obvious troll though. Doubt he was really attached to his (secondary) account.

lovely griefers getting griefed by game admins is the best.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
The GW2 admins did that on reddit a few years ago. It's fantastic.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/yxx3m/suspensions_for_offensive_names_and_inappropriate/

quote:

Mind to check? My character name is Dachshund.
Not sure if I did something wrong, probably said something in map chat.

quote:

Name: OK Chat: Not ok -- "i AM A DOG YOU friend of the family"

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Funny enough I found the screenshot in that thread that I was referring to earlier.

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

RatHat posted:

Want to point out the dude doing this griefing uploaded a video of him destroying a Purple Heart he bought just to be a dick.

Want to point out that the fat white guy bashing on a purple heart was a viral video from a few weeks ago and that is just a reupload that happened to fool news articles and youtube commenters into thinking it was the original. For the sole intent of generating funny comments.

guess it works on goons too though

Daman fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 18, 2014

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Mierenneuker posted:

Here's a better one.

The :thurman: doesn't sink in until after a few pages in when you realize at the same time as the troll that Lyte was talking about the guy's main account getting the permaban.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Marlamaid Swordhand posted:

The :thurman: doesn't sink in until after a few pages in when you realize at the same time as the troll that Lyte was talking about the guy's main account getting the permaban.

I don't see any mention of his main getting banned. I see a lot of people calling for it but unless he breaks ToS on that account it's safe.

Too bad though, I wanted to see that guy break down when they banned his primary.

Moronic Farce
Sep 21, 2008

"Farce... You'll always be the brony of my heart"
Samahiel, August 30 2013

m.hache posted:

I don't see any mention of his main getting banned. I see a lot of people calling for it but unless he breaks ToS on that account it's safe.

Too bad though, I wanted to see that guy break down when they banned his primary.

Ya this, on page 5 that Lyte guy responds to someone calling for a ban of the dude's main with "If they behave the same way on their main account, it'll be banned."

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
More dumb Robocraft F2P stuff.

Making wordbots is stupid easy, but if you add higher tier weapons you can be somewhat effective in the lower tiers. Despite this robit being absolute poo poo, the sole weapon on the bot is easily capable of wreaking havoc in a lower tier battle.

The weapon on top of the H is a railgun. It takes a long time to charge up, but when it does it is pinpoint accurate and is capable of nuking almost any Tier 3 or lower player. I'm playing in Tier 2.

The best part? When you're killed by anyone, the camera zooms in on your killer and remains there for a few seconds. what

what

Heffer
May 1, 2003

They don't keep higher tier players/equipment out of lower tier games?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
It's a point-based rank system. Armor adds very little rank while weapons add a bunch, and movement items add even more. If he added another railgun he'd get more shots in but he'd be bumped up a tier.

Tumbleweed Hank
Jul 27, 2011
Tier is based on total the equipment value of the whatbot. You can take higher tier weapons into low tiers by having lovely armor, wheels, etc.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Earlier in the game's history, they had just finished boosting the cost weighting of tougher armour to reduce the prevalence of near-indestructible tanks in some brackets, and people actually had to choose between powerful guns or tough armour to some extent instead of just loading up a smallish cube of hellishly resilient blocks and plonking a single huge cannon in the middle. This led to a lot more experimentation and somewhat better balance, until someone figured out you could simply bolt the biggest loving gun you could get onto your cockpit and have a robot with two parts: a gigantic cannon and the screaming pilot strapped to said cannon. They would use the weapon's recoil to propel themselves and essentially zip through the air on barely-controllable laser-fuelled rocket ships, occasionally one-shotting opponents with a well-placed zap as they spiraled overhead at Mach 4.

I got into the game just after that little exploit got nerfed. The bigger guns had their recoil considerably reduced, and if I remember right, it was no longer possible to weld a weapon directly to your pilot's chair. It seemed the gunchair was a thing of the past... until I figured out that, by attaching my cockpit to a little line of three or four blocks and clustering a handful of moderately high-powered, downward-facing, rapid-firing laser turrets along the outside faces, I could create a new iteration of the gunchair: the LASER TORNADO.

When you have a bunch of the same gun, holding down the fire button chain-fires them continuously, one after another, at regular intervals. The right gun, in the right quantity, balanced against just the right amount of weight with just the right distribution, could chain-fire in such a way that my little armoured sofa began to spin at increasing velocity, steadily building up momentum as it whirled forward atop a wake of projectiles like some unholy marriage between a helicopter and a terrifying airborne squid composed mostly of lasers. It would continuously gain speed with no apparent limit as long as I kept it pointed in more or less the same direction, and its shape was such that it would ricochet madly off of terrain without slowing down much at all.

Enemies would fire wildly at air as this little rear end in a top hat spaceman on a gun-encrusted demon couch flew/ricocheted/screamed past them at normally unattainable speeds in an obnoxious clusterfuck of PEW PEW sounds, hideous grinding metal-on-ground noises, dust clouds, and wildly inaccurate laser blasts, until the sheer volume of projectiles finally sheared a wheel or gun or something off of someone (or scored a lucky hit to the cockpit and killed them outright). Meanwhile, my teammates would trundle up in their dickmobiles and giant flying swords and goofy little space rovers and start shooting the enemies in the rear end while they fishtailed around trying to target me in the quarter-second before I slammed into the edge of the map and ricocheted around for another pass. Sometimes I would ram into enemies and flip them over, then spin in place like a douchebag hovercraft before PEWing away into the sunset (read: the enemy base, where I would sit around scoring capture points until they rushed to stop me, then howl away in a storm of lasers and hysterical laughter).

It was not a very effective design - I didn't get a lot of points - but holy gently caress was it ever fun as hell to play, and I used to get quite a bit of rage in chat.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Angry Diplomat posted:

someone figured out you could simply bolt the biggest loving gun you could get onto your cockpit and have a robot with two parts: a gigantic cannon and the screaming pilot strapped to said cannon. They would use the weapon's recoil to propel themselves and essentially zip through the air on barely-controllable laser-fuelled rocket ships, occasionally one-shotting opponents with a well-placed zap as they spiraled overhead at Mach 4.

quote:

The right gun, in the right quantity, balanced against just the right amount of weight with just the right distribution, could chain-fire in such a way that my little armoured sofa began to spin at increasing velocity, steadily building up momentum as it whirled forward atop a wake of projectiles like some unholy marriage between a helicopter and a terrifying airborne squid composed mostly of lasers.

quote:

Enemies would fire wildly at air as this little rear end in a top hat spaceman on a gun-encrusted demon couch flew/ricocheted/screamed past them at normally unattainable speeds in an obnoxious clusterfuck of PEW PEW sounds, hideous grinding metal-on-ground noises, dust clouds, and wildly inaccurate laser blasts
Can I just say that every time you post in this thread I get the most ridiculous grin on my face? It's something about your way with words combined with the crazy poo poo you get up to but it never fails to make my day.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Angry Diplomat posted:

Earlier in the game's history, they had just finished boosting the cost weighting of tougher armour to reduce the prevalence of near-indestructible tanks in some brackets, and people actually had to choose between powerful guns or tough armour to some extent instead of just loading up a smallish cube of hellishly resilient blocks and plonking a single huge cannon in the middle. This led to a lot more experimentation and somewhat better balance, until someone figured out you could simply bolt the biggest loving gun you could get onto your cockpit and have a robot with two parts: a gigantic cannon and the screaming pilot strapped to said cannon. They would use the weapon's recoil to propel themselves and essentially zip through the air on barely-controllable laser-fuelled rocket ships, occasionally one-shotting opponents with a well-placed zap as they spiraled overhead at Mach 4.

I got into the game just after that little exploit got nerfed. The bigger guns had their recoil considerably reduced, and if I remember right, it was no longer possible to weld a weapon directly to your pilot's chair. It seemed the gunchair was a thing of the past... until I figured out that, by attaching my cockpit to a little line of three or four blocks and clustering a handful of moderately high-powered, downward-facing, rapid-firing laser turrets along the outside faces, I could create a new iteration of the gunchair: the LASER TORNADO.

When you have a bunch of the same gun, holding down the fire button chain-fires them continuously, one after another, at regular intervals. The right gun, in the right quantity, balanced against just the right amount of weight with just the right distribution, could chain-fire in such a way that my little armoured sofa began to spin at increasing velocity, steadily building up momentum as it whirled forward atop a wake of projectiles like some unholy marriage between a helicopter and a terrifying airborne squid composed mostly of lasers. It would continuously gain speed with no apparent limit as long as I kept it pointed in more or less the same direction, and its shape was such that it would ricochet madly off of terrain without slowing down much at all.

Enemies would fire wildly at air as this little rear end in a top hat spaceman on a gun-encrusted demon couch flew/ricocheted/screamed past them at normally unattainable speeds in an obnoxious clusterfuck of PEW PEW sounds, hideous grinding metal-on-ground noises, dust clouds, and wildly inaccurate laser blasts, until the sheer volume of projectiles finally sheared a wheel or gun or something off of someone (or scored a lucky hit to the cockpit and killed them outright). Meanwhile, my teammates would trundle up in their dickmobiles and giant flying swords and goofy little space rovers and start shooting the enemies in the rear end while they fishtailed around trying to target me in the quarter-second before I slammed into the edge of the map and ricocheted around for another pass. Sometimes I would ram into enemies and flip them over, then spin in place like a douchebag hovercraft before PEWing away into the sunset (read: the enemy base, where I would sit around scoring capture points until they rushed to stop me, then howl away in a storm of lasers and hysterical laughter).

It was not a very effective design - I didn't get a lot of points - but holy gently caress was it ever fun as hell to play, and I used to get quite a bit of rage in chat.

This is art

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Here is a video from the Robocraft thread of the original Gunchair in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olCQTkEP2sI

Looks hilarious.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Angry Diplomat posted:

It seemed the gunchair was a thing of the past... until I figured out that, by attaching my cockpit to a little line of three or four blocks and clustering a handful of moderately high-powered, downward-facing, rapid-firing laser turrets along the outside faces, I could create a new iteration of the gunchair: the LASER TORNADO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLNvUsTBGyE

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
And I put this in the wrong thread... :downsbravo:

Doodles fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 21, 2014

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Here is a video from the Robocraft thread of the original Gunchair in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olCQTkEP2sI

Looks hilarious.

That's actually a lot more effective/practical than I thought it'd be. Is there no fall/collision damage in that game?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Doodles posted:

Just a couple of updates from Steam. All of this is happening this coming weekend:

1. 2K will be having a sale on all games, which would include the Borderlands series. Up to 80% for various games.

2. If you have BL1 or BL2 and pre-purchase the Pre-Sequel, you save $10.

3. BL2 will be free-to-play for everyone for the weekend.

I think you might have the wrong thread guy. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I think you might have the wrong thread guy. :v:

Not if he's lying :colbert:

• Locked thread