Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Volkerball posted:

I've heard anywhere from 500-1,500 Brits. One thing is that a lot of those guys burned their passports, so if ISIS did collapse (it won't) they'd be kind of stranded.

6,000 fighters joined ISIS in July. Most from Syria, with 1,200 being foreign.

Gregor Samsa posted:

Given the way the Syrian revolution seems to be going, I have to think that putting up this picture (and the others like it that I've seen) puts these guys in line for an extremely unpleasant end.

I'm pretty sure they do this explicitly to counteract the loving crazies who say things like, "WE SHOULD TURN THAT WHOLE STRETCH OF THE DESERT TO GLASS"
It is a reminder to the outside world that there are people, just like them, inside this mess.

i am harry fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Volkerball posted:

As opposed to everything else they've done for the last 3 years. People got tortured to death for protesting, yet there's still a full militant uprising against the government. I think their personal safety is largely secondary to their goal of getting rid of Assad.

i am harry posted:

I'm pretty sure they do this explicitly to counteract the loving crazies who say things like, "WE SHOULD TURN THAT WHOLE STRETCH OF THE DESERT TO GLASS"
It is a reminder to the outside world that there are people, just like them, inside this mess.

Yeah, I agree with both of these things. I was just emphasizing that it is a brave thing to do.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gregor Samsa posted:

Yeah, I agree with both of these things. I was just emphasizing that it is a brave thing to do.

Yeah, definitely.

Matthew Van Dyke was imprisoned in Libya about the same time as Foley was. They met each other after their release, and met again in Syria. Van Dyke just did a short interview discussing Foley that's pretty interesting. He's heading to Iraq next to work with Iraqi Christians displaced by ISIS.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=419971&playlistId=1.1967437&binId=1.810401&playlistPageNum=1&hootPostID=769b89d929566ad02c6f72985c00da57

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Libluini posted:

OK, do you have actual quotes backing this up, or are you just going by "I'm sure they sold them something during this time"-logic?

You mean quotes showing that they called it a war or sources for arms exports? All the official reports on arms exports are here. Finding sources for arms exports to Israel is easy, in 2006 they get exports to the tune of just over 2m euros, including four separate counts of designated "Kriegswaffen", which had to be allowed individually. Finding numbers for Afghanistan and Kosovo is more difficult due to the nature of the conflicts and the involved parties. What we do know is that during the Kosovo war Germany exported firearms to Georgia, and that later on Georgian soldiers showed up with German assault rifles. Croatia received stationary missile launchers, no idea how those got used.

The main problem is that Germany exports to allied states which end up using this equipment in active war zones. That's not quite the same as exporting directly to those countries, but it still means that German weapons show up there.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Hearing a guy with a British accent in that video has genuinely effected me. Britain is a country of tolerance and we pride ourselves in this. I don't know what I'd do if I came across someone handing out pro ISIS leaflets like reportedly happened in Oxford circus. gently caress these people. The only thing ISIS should get is the receiving end of an air strike.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Rukeli posted:

- Did IS and Turkey fight yet? IS has attacked everyone else so far. If they haven't attacked Turkey, what's stopping them?

Kind of, when ISIS seized Mosul they stormed the Turkish consulate and took the consul and his staff hostage. Turkey has been trying to negotiate his release for over 70 days now and the government has put a gag order on the media and opposition politicians to prevent public discussion of the crisis for "fear of provoking ISIS":rolleyes:

They've ruled out airstrikes for the same reason - that it could endanger the life of the Turkish hostages.

It's probably also worth mentioning that Turkey is also pretty important to ISIS in terms of logistics, new recruits and arms find there way across the border with alarming frequency and if this route was completely cut off they would have some difficulties. By all accounts Turkey initially tolerated (and some would say assisted) the movement of arms and personnel to Islamist fighters in Syria as they saw them as a legitimate force to combat Assad, there are signs now that they are backing away from this policy and are attempting to shore up their borders after ISIS began spreading beyond Syria.

Others would disagree and believe Turkey is still involved in arming Nursa & ISIS covertly but a lot of this comes from opposition/Kurdish sources who have their own axes to grind.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Heavy fighting in Jaz'ah which has been the primary corridor for relief to Shinjar. Hasakah to the left is ISIS controlled, as is Rabia to the right, and Shinjar to the south. Qamishli to the north has been a huge refugee safe haven following the fall of Shinjar, so you can see why this is an important fight.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Lord Twisted posted:

Britain is a country of tolerance and we pride ourselves in this.

I've known a few English folks, and I don't think "pride" is the right word to describe any of the feelings they had about their homeland.
Is there a term for the emotion of "vaguely ashamed, but adamant it's better than the rest"?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Combat robots can't come soon enough. I bet those companies are benefitting from this climate.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I've known a few English folks, and I don't think "pride" is the right word to describe any of the feelings they had about their homeland.
Is there a term for the emotion of "vaguely ashamed, but adamant it's better than the rest"?

Yes, the word is "English"

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Volkerball posted:

Heavy fighting in Jaz'ah which has been the primary corridor for relief to Shinjar. Hasakah to the left is ISIS controlled, as is Rabia to the right, and Shinjar to the south. Qamishli to the north has been a huge refugee safe haven following the fall of Shinjar, so you can see why this is an important fight.

IS tweeter a stack of corpses yesterday.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

botany posted:

You mean quotes showing that they called it a war or sources for arms exports? All the official reports on arms exports are here. Finding sources for arms exports to Israel is easy, in 2006 they get exports to the tune of just over 2m euros, including four separate counts of designated "Kriegswaffen", which had to be allowed individually. Finding numbers for Afghanistan and Kosovo is more difficult due to the nature of the conflicts and the involved parties. What we do know is that during the Kosovo war Germany exported firearms to Georgia, and that later on Georgian soldiers showed up with German assault rifles. Croatia received stationary missile launchers, no idea how those got used.

The main problem is that Germany exports to allied states which end up using this equipment in active war zones. That's not quite the same as exporting directly to those countries, but it still means that German weapons show up there.

Hey, thanks for the link. Reading our arms exports is quite fascinating. I didn't know we sell so much stuff to the USA, for example.

So back to the topic at hand, then I guess the article I linked was just wrong at that point, or only official "gifts" count for our government, not sales.

errad
May 31, 2013
Supposedly Obama is about to speak regarding James Foley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxw4dZr87U8&t=1701s

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.
What else needed to be said?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Notable for no discussion of further military action.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think it's that they have verified that the tape is authentic

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Did he speak already?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Pssssh. The one loving time he starts the speech at the exact time they said it would start.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
For those of us who can't see the stream, what is he saying?

errad
May 31, 2013

Xandu posted:

Notable for no discussion of further military action.

I thought the same. Just a speech about how it was terrible and we don't like it. No mention of any response or continued action. He didn't even sound defiant.

edit: tone was somber, I guess I can't take issue with that. For those asking - he didn't say much other than that it was a terrible thing, ISIS is bad, and Jim Foley was a good guy.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
He calls him Jim because it makes it seem like he's all close with Foley's family. :v:

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Now, I am sometimes optimistic and imagine a virtous competition between Iran, Russia and the USA on who blows up the most IS.

Wont exactly happen but one can dream.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Mightypeon posted:

Now, I am sometimes optimistic and imagine a virtous competition between Iran, Russia and the USA on who blows up the most IS.

Russia is presumably divided between being happy that a number of Chechens have hosed off to the middle east and being eager to slaughter ISIS in its entirety just to get however many Chechens are involved.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I don't understand, that's exactly what I said...

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mightypeon posted:

I think Russia will cheer from the sidelines and make sure everyone has enough bombs. IS makes for strange bedfellows.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

Gregor Samsa posted:

Russia is presumably divided between being happy that a number of Chechens have hosed off to the middle east and being eager to slaughter ISIS in its entirety just to get however many Chechens are involved.

It is not as if Russia is very fond of non Chechen Islamists either.
Something some Russians are worried about is that the USA and Iran get a genuine reapproachment going.
A number of Anti Western Russians I know see Iran as a huge huge hornets nest in which the West will invariably insert its dick, with the resulting fuckups giving Russia a freer Hand elsewhere.

Most however, believe that such a reapproachment would end the Saudi-US alliance and well, "gently caress the house Saud and especially Prince Bandar" is a prominent Statement in Russia, so it would be a net benefit.

Seriously, if you want to really troll Russian authorities, create a big rear end Picture/statue of "Superman-Putin" anally loving a Saudi Sheik. They will be divided on "hej, thats a great patriotic thing" and "no, its Homo Propaganda" which will make hilarity ensue.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Count Roland posted:

I think Russia will cheer from the sidelines and make sure everyone has enough bombs. IS makes for strange bedfellows.

Russia did get in earlier by sending Iraq a bunch of aircraft and nominally putting them under Iraqi command. Wouldnt be surprised if Russian "advisers" are flying the missions with those.

Seriously, blow up US Equipment manned by IS fuckwits with nearly no enemy air interdiction? I would guess that there are enough Russian pilots that would pay Iraq Money for the privilege of doing those missions.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

:smith:

These people deserve so much better.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

errad posted:

I thought the same. Just a speech about how it was terrible and we don't like it. No mention of any response or continued action. He didn't even sound defiant.

edit: tone was somber, I guess I can't take issue with that. For those asking - he didn't say much other than that it was a terrible thing, ISIS is bad, and Jim Foley was a good guy.

Obama never misses a chance to not show leadership. I mean I'm not expecting him to level the middle east over this, but not even stating that the US wasn't going to be intimidated, that just seems dumb.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Torpor posted:

Obama never misses a chance to not show leadership. I mean I'm not expecting him to level the middle east over this, but not even stating that the US wasn't going to be intimidated, that just seems dumb.

"Bring 'em on"

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Torpor posted:

It was a murder with the intent of provoking a response, Obama's approach in not taking the bait was the correct one.

GuyinCognito
Nov 26, 2008

by Ralp

Volkerball posted:

May 2013.

quote:

After 162 days with no information about his whereabouts, GlobalPost announced Friday that James Foley, an American journalist who went missing on November 22 in Syria, is almost certainly being held by the Syrian government in a detention center near the capital city of Damascus. Surrounded by Foley’s family during a speech in Boston marking World Press Freedom Day, GlobalPost CEO and President Philip Balboni said:

With a very high degree of confidence, we now believe that Jim was most likely abducted by a pro-regime militia group commonly referred to as the Shabiha and subsequently turned over to Syrian government forces. We have obtained multiple independent reports from very credible confidential sources who have both indirect and direct access that confirm our assessment that Jim is now being held by the Syrian government in a detention facility in the Damascus area. We further believe that this facility is under the control of the Syrian Air Force Intelligence service. Based on what we have learned, it is likely Jim is being held with one or more Western journalists, including most likely at least one other American.

http://www.cjr.org/behind_the_news/james_foley_globalpost_syria_k.php?page=all#sthash.ojTS3He8.dpuf

so it was the activists that did it and the MSM along with other people blamed innocent Assad. Just like when the NSA put down Syrian internet it was blamed on Assad.

Assad isn't a good guy but a lot of stuff is just reflexively blamed on him. He has even been blamed for leading IS because it made the "activists" look stupid and bad.

These are the guys who prob killed him. Expose Assad by decapitating him.

GuyinCognito fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 20, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It was a murder with the intent of provoking a response, Obama's approach in not taking the bait was the correct one.

He didn't feed the trolls. A good president.

Edit: Oh guyincognito. :allears:

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 20, 2014

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mightypeon posted:

It is not as if Russia is very fond of non Chechen Islamists either.
Something some Russians are worried about is that the USA and Iran get a genuine reapproachment going.
A number of Anti Western Russians I know see Iran as a huge huge hornets nest in which the West will invariably insert its dick, with the resulting fuckups giving Russia a freer Hand elsewhere.

Most however, believe that such a reapproachment would end the Saudi-US alliance and well, "gently caress the house Saud and especially Prince Bandar" is a prominent Statement in Russia, so it would be a net benefit.

Seriously, if you want to really troll Russian authorities, create a big rear end Picture/statue of "Superman-Putin" anally loving a Saudi Sheik. They will be divided on "hej, thats a great patriotic thing" and "no, its Homo Propaganda" which will make hilarity ensue.

I really wonder what is going on with the US regarding Saudi Arabia and Iran. Since last summer's gas attack in Syria and the lack of airstrikes, followed shortly after by a real opening in negotiations between Iran and the US (revealing they'd been talking in secret for some time), the Saudis have been pissed. Events in Iraq serve to drive the US and Iran closer together, to the further chagrin of the Saudis.

Does the US really intend to drop its long-time allies in favour of Iran? It seems impossible, given the decades of co-operation. And yet Saudi bitching has so far been impotent, while negotiations with Iran continue.

If anyone has thoughts on this issue I'd be interested. One interesting change is that fracking has made the US virtually energy independent, which makes it a lot easier to give the finger to the Saudis if that's what it comes down to.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The fact that Mosul Dam was retaken in a joint operation between Iraqi Special Forces and Peshmerga is a very positive sign that hopefully shows that the two sides can put aside their differences and work together...

Wall Street Journal posted:

During a victory tour for journalists on Tuesday, Kurdish fighters, known as Peshmerga, scuffled with Iraqi military forces, and both tried aggressively to claim most of the credit.

When two black Humvees—one flying the Iraqi flag—ferried Iraqi special forces back from the battle site to a checkpoint connecting the dam with the northern city of Dohuk, the soldiers caused a commotion, jumping out of the vehicles and yelling. "We are the Iraqi army!" said one, forcefully patting his special forces badge. "They say they liberated the dam? Long live the Iraqi army!"

Another officer stamped on a black flag of the Sunni insurgent group Islamic State while jamming an index finger in the air as cameramen swarmed his vehicle.

"We liberated the dam," he said, as an even angrier comrade approached and repeated the message more loudly: "We liberated the dam, not the Peshmerga."

Peshmerga forces guarding the checkpoint fired two shots in the air and the small crowd around the vehicles dispersed as they drove away.

Old habits die hard I guess

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mightypeon posted:

Why do they have such strong feelings about Saudi Arabia and that one person in particular?

e: can anyone explain why Turkey and Syria hate each other so much, is it another remnant of Cold War politics?

quote:

Another officer stamped on a black flag of the Sunni insurgent group Islamic State while jamming an index finger in the air as cameramen swarmed his vehicle.

"We liberated the dam," he said, as an even angrier comrade approached and repeated the message more loudly: "We liberated the dam, not the Peshmerga."

Hahaha they're children

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 20, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Phlegmish posted:

Why do they have such strong feelings about Saudi Arabia and that one person in particular?

Bandar was the one who implied that there would be terrorist attacks in Sochi if Putin didn't stop funding Assad. As a threat, not as a statement.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Three years ago, right about now, the first reports of the Battle for Tripoli started coming in, the beginning of the end for Gaddafi, and the end of the beginning of Libya's post-Gaddafi problems. If you want to look back at that night you can skip to this post made in the thread when the first reports started coming in.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Also about an hour and a half away from it being the one year anniversary of the chemical weapons attack in Ghouta. Here's the start of that madness.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3390388&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1110

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

Three years ago, right about now, the first reports of the Battle for Tripoli started coming in, the beginning of the end for Gaddafi, and the end of the beginning of Libya's post-Gaddafi problems. If you want to look back at that night you can skip to this post made in the thread when the first reports started coming in.

Oh man - I remember that day. I was expecting some sort of urban charnel house like Stalingrad (only with modern weapons involved). Instead the city was largely retaken when I was out to dinner with my family. I remember because I was reading the thread from a hotel room when on vacation.

• Locked thread