Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Senso posted:

What the hell is a KFC biscuit? A fried chicken biscuit? How can this be a thing. That must be a British thing. Gross.

Well, now that I'm in a British colony, I guess I could find out. But I'd rather not set foot in a KFC anyway.

America has them. Canada does not.

They're loving delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Welp, Today I Learned. That UK vs USA definition of biscuit confused me. I'm not in Canada anyway, I might as well see if that exists here.

(That still looks disgusting though)

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I found KFC in thailand to be repulsive. At least McDonalds is kind of food

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
As with anywhere, the fast food is poo poo, but of the fast food places Carl's Jr. is pretty much the best at the moment. It's new, so they haven't started cutting corners yet. Subway is pretty close to home too. None of the local or localized fast food joints are worth a poo poo. I can get down Pizza Hut's pepperoni pan pizza if needed, but it's pretty crap.

I'm not sure if I could class Pala Pizza as fast food, but it has a walkup window, and it's by far the best pizza in town.

If you're new in town, just pop over to:

http://www.foodpanda.co.th/

Bunch of poo poo there. Never eat McDonald's, KFC and the rest if you aren't like completely shitcanned at 02:00. Of the sub-par joints, BK is probably the best, if you have to. The localized Popeye's out of HK is hilariously bad. What I wouldn't give for a REAL Popeye's. The localized Domino's is horrendous too.

Actually, BBQ Sandwich King has the absolute best fast food burgers, dogs and BBQ Sandwiches, but he hasn't opened downtown yet and unless Atlas ends up in Pak Kret none of you are likely to ever end up there. It's so good I don't think of it as fast food, but it technically is. Drool.

A lot of the best comfort food these days is in the new food trucks, but they have stupid and inconvenient times and are largely stationary. Daniel Thaiger, Pizza Aroy and Cheesebreak come to mind. Come on down five days a week from 17:00 until we run out! Basically, they've turned "food trucks" into lazy people restaurants. Instead of driving around, changing locations and restocking during the day and night and so on, they either park at the same place every day or only on weekends and just don't move and only open for a couple of hours in the evening. And occasionally they'll get paid by some bar to show up. That's about the only variation.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 20, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Senso posted:

Welp, Today I Learned. That UK vs USA definition of biscuit confused me. I'm not in Canada anyway, I might as well see if that exists here.

Biscuits are as Canadian as food gets (whether they have them there or not). It's a little starch bomb shaped like a hockey puck, can be either lumpy or flaky, is pasty white in coloration, inoffensive, and despite the fact that it seems like a perfectly good substrate for any topping it's considered a little out there to put anything other than a couple of types of fat on it.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Canadian?!

Slap yo mama.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Texan Food Defensive Reflex triggered!

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Scones

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Scones don't use milk or buttermilk, they use cream you shameful rear end foo

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Scones don't use milk or buttermilk, they use cream you shameful rear end foo

Scones

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

If they were sweet and had some vanilla or fruit in them, sure.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Chantilly Say posted:

If they were sweet and had some vanilla or fruit in them, sure.

A new Morganfields opened close by to me recently and I tried it out (it's okayish). It had "cornbread", it was a muffin with corn in it. I was so sad when I ate it.

Scones can be savoury, you guys don't know anything. Literally every food that comes out of North America was invented somewhere else. Even so called "native" foods!!!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Now, when I get to BKK, if I were to walk into a bar and ask for a pint, do I get 20oz or 16oz?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I'm guessing 500ml but I have no loving clue.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Chantilly Say posted:

Now, when I get to BKK, if I were to walk into a bar and ask for a pint, do I get 20oz or 16oz?

You'd get a bottle of bee-ah

lemonadesweetheart posted:

A new Morganfields opened close by to me recently and I tried it out (it's okayish). It had "cornbread", it was a muffin with corn in it. I was so sad when I ate it.

Scones can be savoury, you guys don't know anything. Literally every food that comes out of North America was invented somewhere else. Even so called "native" foods!!!

Bbut my Indian fry bread

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Sounds like muqpauraq to me. Or bannock.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Senso posted:

Hey man poutine looks like runny poo poo but it tastes good :shobon:

I'm guessing 500ml but I have no loving clue.

Using metric? Why I never!

Literally every food that comes out of North America was invented somewhere else. Even so called "native" foods!!!

American invented fast food and rules the world with proxy companies like coke and McDonald's :smug:

Well corn dogs are proudly American :911:
So are HFC's :911:
Then there's bbq : Pulled pork, brisket :911:
Donuts are pretty American, no bakery in Italy can ever get it right :911:

Nanaimo bars are pretty Canadian :canada: but no one ever knows anything about Canada :eng99:

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Chantilly Say posted:

Assuming it's like Malaysia it'll be 440ml, so I guess the smaller one? I don't know anywhere outside the UK (maybe OZ/NZ?) that uses Imperial pints. This of course means having to tell all locals and other expats how the pints here are just too small.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I know the British pubs are meant to be using British standard pints. Elsewhere i think it's pretty ad hoc. As in, "Tihguuuhhhh Pite" refers to The Largest Glass We Have.

Also, anyone catch the news on the Lion Air co-pilot dying mid-flight? Like I'm assuming he was cleared medically and it's not their fault in any way, but of course it happens on Lion Air.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 21, 2014

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

That's another Malaysian airline, isn't it? Haha, oh Malaysia. You and your crazy plane killing antics.

Also, next time I come to Bangkok, I'm going to send a demanding email to you, Reindeer. You will tell me where to find all these restaurants you reference, or there shall be problems.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Chair Huxtable posted:

That's another Malaysian airline, isn't it? Haha, oh Malaysia. You and your crazy plane killing antics.

Also, next time I come to Bangkok, I'm going to send a demanding email to you, Reindeer. You will tell me where to find all these restaurants you reference, or there shall be problems.

Me too

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Americans only, Cabe. SORRY.

Lion should be Indonesia. While The Philippines gives it a run, Indonesia has one of the most hosed up airline industries and regulatory environments of any country with that many planes in the sky. Lion's been banned in the EU for a long time.

EDIT: You know that cheesesteak at Bintaburger that isn't very good, Chair? The one here is about halfway between that and home, so way better, but not great. They have added sweet peppers recently, though, which is a start.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 21, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ReindeerF posted:

Americans only, Cabe. SORRY.

Pssssssh, you don't even work in the embassy! My passport is good enough for military bases in Korea :shobon:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I know it's a big deal in your family to have bragging rights as the owners of the Pizza Hut franchise in the PX in Yongsan, but let's keep things in perspective here OKAY?

EDIT: My passport has Eagles and Astronauts and Guns and poo poo in it. Freedom score like +200. Get over it.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Bintaburger doesn't even make a crappy cheesesteak anymore. Come to think of it, I haven't really seen them around since the army threw a tantrum and started enforcing bar hours. The only thing open late anymore is that god awful club at the Hilton.

Then the police came and permanently closed the 7-11s across from Sam Sam and on Bintabaht for serving after hours. As a result, not a goddamn soul has been out in months.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The bar at the Hilton was always awful. I ended up in there a couple of times for lack of options about ten years ago before I figured things out. Enjoy your 250 Baht pint of Chang!

I'm surprised to hear if that row of karaoke joints is closed. Also, what about the Thai stuff out at like Soi 6 and on the other side? It might not be the worst thing in the world for central Hua Hin to get cleaned up a bit the way it was back when the old man was there full time. It really transformed after the tsunami and his departure.

Also, please tell me that the military has ripped down the endless foreign flags flying on like Dechanuchit and Poonsuk. It's gotten completely embarrassing.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Chair Huxtable posted:

Then the police came and permanently closed the 7-11s across from Sam Sam and on Bintabaht for serving after hours. As a result, not a goddamn soul has been out in months.

Even 7-11's? noooooooooooooooooooooo

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

The bar at the Hilton was always awful. I ended up in there a couple of times for lack of options about ten years ago before I figured things out. Enjoy your 250 Baht pint of Chang!

I'm surprised to hear if that row of karaoke joints is closed. Also, what about the Thai stuff out at like Soi 6 and on the other side? It might not be the worst thing in the world for central Hua Hin to get cleaned up a bit the way it was back when the old man was there full time. It really transformed after the tsunami and his departure.

Also, please tell me that the military has ripped down the endless foreign flags flying on like Dechanuchit and Poonsuk. It's gotten completely embarrassing.

Sadly, no. The row of karaoke places are still open but close early. The silly foreign flags are still up, and a lot of the girls now wear dresses designed like various foreign flags. It is pretty embarrassing.

I heard that a lot of the Thai places are still open. I haven't been, but a few friends went and said that the Thais were not at all excited to see them. Tensions might be running a little high. Or maybe my friends were just being drunken louts. Kind of hard to tell.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

caberham posted:

Hey man poutine looks like runny poo poo but it tastes good :shobon:

Nanaimo bars are pretty Canadian :canada: but no one ever knows anything about Canada :eng99:

Nanaimo bars are awesome, I had a colleague making these at home and bringing them. It's probably the heaviest, richest dessert I know. But yeah, I don't know much about Canadian customs, being a SEPARATIST and all that. The poutine in Saigon was terrible, haven't tried it here (Cayman) yet but I'm not feeling homesick yet.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chair Huxtable posted:

Sadly, no. The row of karaoke places are still open but close early. The silly foreign flags are still up, and a lot of the girls now wear dresses designed like various foreign flags. It is pretty embarrassing.
This is disconcerting. Not the karaoke places, they were pretty bad, but an available late night alternative. The flag dresses, though. I can imagine how that proliferated. "Hey Sven, look vhat Erling does vid ze dresses - ve shoult do zat too." :repeat 20 times:

Chair Huxtable posted:

I heard that a lot of the Thai places are still open. I haven't been, but a few friends went and said that the Thais were not at all excited to see them. Tensions might be running a little high. Or maybe my friends were just being drunken louts. Kind of hard to tell.
Provincial areas have a different vibe, but I've never had any trouble personally drinking with people across much of rural Thailand and Cambodia (and elsewhere). Tourist towns, though, can have a more aggressive undercurrent from having to deal with all the idiot foreigners. Bangkok's big enough that it just dissipates, except in concentrated areas like KSR or Nana or something. I love the rest of the city because people mostly give no gently caress about you other than to be generally polite. I can go drink in a rail yard or a slum, and have, and the most I'll get is some friendly invites to cheers and maybe them cracking a couple of jokes about the farang in Thai. Nothing bad, though. Go to like Patong or Pattaya and it's a very different vibe.

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
I would like to pretty much always accept the first price that's offered to me when I buy stuff in Thailand (and also hopefully Cambodia at some point), unless it's super excruciatingly obvious that I'm being ripped off. Will it be possible for me to do this while not running out of money really fast or is this a super dumb idea? I'd like to have enough money to live in Southeast Asia for a long time if I enjoy teaching there, but I really don't want to be miserly.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Depends on where you live and shop and what you're buying. There's no bargaining at 7-11 or Tesco or whatever. About the only thing you have to bargain (if you don't know the rate) is a moto taxi or a tuk tuk, the latter of which you can avoid.

On the bargain note, it's buy one get one free burger day at the Carl's Jr. at Nana (they stuffed some coupons in my bag last week).

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

ReindeerF posted:

Depends on where you live and shop and what you're buying. There's no bargaining at 7-11 or Tesco or whatever. About the only thing you have to bargain (if you don't know the rate) is a moto taxi or a tuk tuk, the latter of which you can avoid.

Okay, sounds good! Thanks again!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ReindeerF posted:

Carl's Jr.

Holy poo poo, Bloodnose and I will be in Thailand pronto. Right after he sorts his visa business in HK. We got to go to Shanghai for that but there are no more goons there :smith:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Speaking of which, who is in town tonight? I forget.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Cross posting from Japan thread

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

Waltzing Along posted:

So, for those who told me not to bring cash and to just rely on ATMs. I'm bringing cash. And I'm letting my bank know where I will be and when. :colbert:

I'm really sorry you are having a rough of of things FP. But it's going to be okay soon and then you will have a super awesome time!
When people say not to bring cash they mean don't bring wads of Benjamins. I suppose it's common sense for people that travel a lot that you should always have at least a little cash on your person for emergencies. I apologize for not making that clear in previous posts.

Hey Waltz, please be careful. Normally we all talk about how easy and convenient Bangkok is for tourists. But I'm not so sure anymore. Please stay safe and be careful. Maybe you should sign up as a tour group for extra safety and convenience. I'm legitimately worried about you travelling solo. No more dead goons :smith:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
On the other hand #YOLO

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

caberham posted:

Hey Waltz, please be careful. Normally we all talk about how easy and convenient Bangkok is for tourists. But I'm not so sure anymore. Please stay safe and be careful. Maybe you should sign up as a tour group for extra safety and convenience. I'm legitimately worried about you travelling solo. No more dead goons :smith:

When was the last dead goon, or did I just totally miss a joke.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pixelante posted:

When was the last dead goon, or did I just totally miss a joke.

No joke unfortunately :smith:

One guy died in a motor cycle accident, and another was a bit hazy. It was some drug accident or something? Reindeer met the guy if I remembered correctly. Anyways, tourists naturally tend to do dumb things but it doesn't justify dying on vacation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Ehhhhh... there's a difference between "Wear a helmet, look both ways, maybe don't buy yaba from that taxi driver" and "Only go as part of a tour group."