Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Has for thousands of years.

It's not like I'm surprised, this is the goal of meeting minimal resistance with overwhelming force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye

Neo Duckberg posted:

No chanting, pretty goddamn quiet.

wasn't the funeral today?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
also I'm mad as hell about the church raid. it seems pretty clear to me that they just found whatever pretext they could to storm in and search the place, especially since they essentially cased the joint last night (and the night before if memory serves). why the gently caress would they be worried about enforcing building codes during a state of emergency??

even if there were people sleeping there, the cops literally blocked people from getting home at various times, so it wouldn't surprise me if people needed a safe place to spend the night. unbelievable.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Anderson cooper has bouncers lol.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Al Harrington posted:

wasn't the funeral today?

Nope, scheduled for monday.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
I know people tend to fire more than they think they do in a situation where you're using your gun on a person, in a situation with real mortal danger, etc. But goddamn that was a lot of bullets. You'd think cop A could say to cop B, "hey, I'm going to get my taser" so that you can keep the lethal force option available while readying yourself to use something a little less murderous?

Would police training cover something like that? I can understand if it's just you and a man with a knife, you don't want to chance fumbling your taser out, okay fine. But when you have backup and you've both trained a gun on him?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

That was not what I expected to see based on the cops description of what happened. drat.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
It's going to rain soon too.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

I only rewatched a couple times but honestly I don't see either a provocation for the cops to step out of their car and immediately pull their guns, nor do I see a knife. The guy filming on his cellphone and several other people walk by and clearly realize the victim is not "all there" but he's not being violent or making much of a scene. Then the cops pull in guns drawn, the guy says "shoot me shoot me kill me now" and walks towards them, they empty a ton of rounds into him. I didn't see a knife but I suppose he could have pulled something quickly and at close range the cops had no time but to fire.

Still, I really see no reason why they needed to start the confrontation with guns on the guy. Again, seems to be needlessly aggressive toward someone who's clearly not of a sound state of mind.

Edit: no I can hear the cops saying "drop it" several times as he advances, so there's likely a knife pulled. Still, it's just a black dude with two cans of soda (did he steal those??) being agitated on the sidewalk near a bus stop.
Its definitely suicide by cop, you can't try and portray it any other way. The guy steals soda and sets them on ground waiting for cops to show up, he wanted to get shot to prove a point.
I agree that they should have tased him instead, but everything else they did was handled appropriately.

Many witnesses including the one that made the call said he was acting irratic. Yea he was probably not mentally well, but he definitely appeared agitated, unpredictably, and potentially violent before the cops arrived. The cops did not instigate anything here.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mr. Glass posted:

Didn't the police claim that the person "lunged" with the knife in an "overhand grip"? That's not what it looks like in the video at all, but it's hard to tell exactly what went down from that distance. Do STL Metro PD cars have dashcams?

Looks like as the police arrive he has his hand in his pocket, they have his guns on him and say "take your hands out of your pocket." He pulls the knife and says "shoot me kill me now," they're saying "drop it" and he walks towards them, as he gets closer they open fire. Doesn't look like any lunging, overhand grips, or even much momentum, he's not running.

All starts about 1:20

Wadjamaloo posted:

Its definitely suicide by cop, you can't try and portray it any way. The guy steals soda and sets them on ground waiting for cops to show up, he wanted to get shot to prove a point.
I agree that they should have tased him instead, but everything else they did was handled appropriately.

Many witnesses including the one that made the call said he was acting irratic. Yea he was probably not mentally well, but he definitely appeared agitated, unpredictably, and potentially violent before the cops arrived. The cops did not instigate anything here.

Yeah, suicide by cop. He doesn't really attack them so much as pull the knife and walk menacingly while asking them to kill him. I won't argue it isn't a justified shooting under the law. How many random bystanders are there getting NOT knifed by this guy? Maybe instead of the cops pulling up pistols drawn, you call in some family members and whoever to help talk him down in addition to the cops, who should only be pulling their pistols on an agitated, mentally ill person as a last resort.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 21, 2014

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
MRAPs heading down W Florissant to somewhere

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Bhaal posted:

I know people tend to fire more than they think they do in a situation where you're using your gun on a person, in a situation with real mortal danger, etc. But goddamn that was a lot of bullets. You'd think cop A could say to cop B, "hey, I'm going to get my taser" so that you can keep the lethal force option available while readying yourself to use something a little less murderous?

Would police training cover something like that? I can understand if it's just you and a man with a knife, you don't want to chance fumbling your taser out, okay fine. But when you have backup and you've both trained a gun on him?

They don't have tasers there.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I hear there's 50 people marching on the police station from another goon.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

Looks like as the police arrive he has his hand in his pocket, they have his guns on him and say "take your hands out of your pocket." He pulls the knife and says "shoot me kill me now," they're saying "drop it" and he walks towards them, as he gets closer they open fire. Doesn't look like any lunging, overhand grips, or even much momentum, he's not running.

All starts about 1:20

yeah i watched the video. i agree that the guy definitely had a death wish going into the interaction, but FROM WHAT WE CAN SEE IN THIS VIDEO the cops probably could have handled it without immediately escalating to deadly force.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

How much of that is due to police response, and how much is it due to people having to get back to their jobs and such? I can't imagine that many of the protesters had the savings to give up their income for that long.

This is a serious question, I don't know a lot about the patterns of these major protests.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Wadjamaloo posted:

Its definitely suicide by cop, you can't try and portray it any other way. The guy steals soda and sets them on ground waiting for cops to show up, he wanted to get shot to prove a point.

The cops handled it poorly, starting with the way they showed up. They did not have to roll up on the scene like it was a goddamn movie, the man was not a threat to anyone around him.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Ferguson market and liquor open again.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Why do so many folks seem assume all cops carry tasers or have them immediately available? Many don't. It can be pretty hard to effectively judge a situation in light of not knowing what may or may not have been available to an officer at the time of an incident.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pohl posted:

The cops handled it poorly, starting with the way they showed up. They did not have to roll up on the scene like it was a goddamn movie, the man was not a threat to anyone around him.

They didn't even try to talk to him. No deescalation or anything immediately with guns out from the start, shouting, bam dead.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
There is an electronic sign that says "approved assembly area" really far from everything

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Untagged posted:

Why do so many folks seem assume all cops carry tasers or have them immediately available? Many don't. It can be pretty hard to effectively judge a situation in light of not knowing what may or may not have been available to an officer at the time of an incident.
Its not as much that we assume they do as that we assume they should. If they can afford several MRAPs they can afford tasers.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Untagged posted:

Why do so many folks seem assume all cops carry tasers or have them immediately available?

When there are unarmed people who aren't resisting they always seem to be immediately at hand.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Pohl posted:

the man was not a threat to anyone around him.

Until, you know, coming directly at someone (an officer) with a knife pointed in stab mode.

Wadjamaloo posted:

Its not as much that we assume they do as that we assume they should. If they can afford several MRAPs they can afford tasers.

MRAPs are free. Tasers are not, at least until the DoD starts handing them out.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Neo Duckberg posted:

There is an electronic sign that says "approved assembly area" really far from everything

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Apparently lots of protesting going on down in Clayton right now, about 12 miles from Ferguson.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wadjamaloo posted:

that's the thing though. they're as broke as the local governments they allegedly serve. they couldn't afford the MRAPs et.al. without being given them by the feds as free military surplus.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I have seen this image countless times and I just now notice the guy protesting for a "larger free speech zone". Man I love AD.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

How much of that is due to police response, and how much is it due to people having to get back to their jobs and such? I can't imagine that many of the protesters had the savings to give up their income for that long.

This is a serious question, I don't know a lot about the patterns of these major protests.

That is a huge part of it. Sociologically, unless a significant portion of the population rises up, nothing is going to happen. The police can just beat and arrest people until the protesters become tired and hungry. The main thing our society is based upon is security, as in financial, not social. So yes, if you want to go out and protest everyday and be an activist, to do it right it is a full time job and you will lose that financial security.

The government has also learned from activist protests in the past. They respond in different ways now, they simply crush them.

The people in power know this, which is one of the reasons that the police response here was so obvious. Why were they instigating riots and rebellion among the populace? The only reason is because they knew they could, and as a well armed police force, they would win.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Untagged posted:

You're right, expecting the police to be equipped or prepared to deal with an irrational confrontation with anything but maximum force is expecting far too much of them

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Antonio French standing on a street corner chatting

SirJohnnyMcDonald
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
Tasers are incredibly expensive to outfit a force with. In Ontario many of our departments are looking at equipping their officers with them now that they have been given the green light but money is a huge issue.

LZEnglish
Jul 11, 2009

Re: the video, the very first thing the cops did when they got out of their car was to draw their guns. It was their immediate response, and it definitely happened before they even said a word to the man. They didn't even make an attempt to engage in any way except by holding him at gunpoint and shouting back. And he only pulled the knife and started walking towards them shouting 'shoot me' after he saw that they had guns pointed at him. Then the shooting started, and it continued well after he crumpled to the ground. At which point the police proceeded to handcuff a corpse.

So hey, we already know the police are going to claim they're justified in killing this man because he was armed and walked toward them in a threatening manner while shouting... which is exactly what the cops themselves did to the people in the crowd just minutes later. Odds on whether or not it would be considered justified to shoot one of those cops? Because I'd sure as poo poo call that reasonable cause for the witnesses to believe their lives were in danger then; I mean, I didn't see the crazy guy murder anyone.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-P54MZVxMU

What....wait what.....

Am I lead through the noose here...what just happened...and why must I ask if this is real?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
What streams are rolling tonight?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I still think their initial response is reasonable. If both hands were visible I could see them not drawing their guns and trying to engage in conversation. When a reportedly irrational and unpredictable perp is deliberately hiding his hand, you have to assume its a gun.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

54.4 crowns posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-P54MZVxMU

What....wait what.....

Am I lead through the noose here...what just happened...and why must I ask if this is real?

This is the officer involved shooting in st louis city yesterday. Yes, it's real.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
WHERES TIM

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Untagged posted:

Until, you know, coming directly at someone (an officer) with a knife pointed in stab mode.

Ah, a troll that cherry picks posts in order to defend their position. How new and exciting.

SirJohnnyMcDonald posted:

Tasers are incredibly expensive to outfit a force with. In Ontario many of our departments are looking at equipping their officers with them now that they have been given the green light but money is a huge issue.

Police forces can't afford cameras and tasers but goddamn, they can buy loving tanks and drones.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Pohl posted:

Police forces can't afford cameras and tasers but goddamn, they can buy loving tanks and drones.

again, they're not buying them. they're acquired from the feds in the form of a grant.

it's hosed up, but it's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Koalas March posted:

Yeah, ironically if he hadn't turned to surrender he might have lived a little longer

Which begs an interesting question: Why was his friend, Dorian, (I think?) never arrested? He was running away too, did he flee the scene successfully? Why isn't he being charged with being an accessory to the theft, resisting arrest etc?

Probably because charging Johnson with anything would result in a trial where the actual circumstances of the shooting may come out. The way they are playing it now, they can let the officer say whatever he wants to the grand jury who will almost certainly not bring an indictment. This is so common and documented as to be the SOP for police brutality in this jurisdiction.

WarEternal posted:

Everyone should probably stop saying he didn't know about it, because since Friday the police have been saying that he did know about it, despite saying earlier on Friday that he didn't know about it. The official police story is going to be that he was aware of the "robbery" at the time he shot Brown.

Yes, we should all forget that the police stated unequivocally that he did know about the robbery, before stating unequivocally that he did not know about the robbery, before finally trying to correct the optics with their original narrative after the DOJ stopped pestering them. :rolleyes:

• Locked thread