Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Wadjamaloo posted:

I still think their initial response is reasonable. If both hands were visible I could see them not drawing their guns and trying to engage in conversation. When a reportedly irrational and unpredictable perp is deliberately hiding his hand, you have to assume its a gun.

They knew he had already brandished a knife. When they pull up he keeps his right hand in his pocket and starts to back away. The first thing they say to him is "Get your hand out of your pocket", multiple times. Only one officer has drawn his weapon at this point. Subject then brandishes the previously concealed knife and begins to walk towards the officers. The second officer than draws his weapon. The rest of the video speaks for itself.

Pohl posted:

Ah, a troll that cherry picks posts in order to defend their position. How new and exciting.

So it doesn't count when you do it? Got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Mr. Glass posted:

again, they're not buying them. they're acquired from the feds in the form of a grant.

it's hosed up, but it's true.
I understand your point, but I think it ties into a larger problem.
If the military wasn't excessively spending so much money that they are giving away MRAPs for free, we could probably spend more money on things local PD actually need.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

The equipment may be free, but maintaining/fueling them probably isn't

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Untagged posted:

They knew he had already brandished a knife. When they pull up he keeps his right hand in his pocket and starts to back away. The first thing they say to him is "Get your hand out of your pocket", multiple times. Only one officer has drawn his weapon at this point. Subject then brandishes the previously concealed knife and begins to walk towards the officers. The second officer than draws his weapon. The rest of the video speaks for itself.

What's your source for the details, specifically that he had already brandished a knife prior to the cops coming? I'm genuinely curious.

SirJohnnyMcDonald
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
Protest has started in earnest. Argus is streaming.

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/9035483/events/3271930

Seems entirely peaceful.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Wadjamaloo posted:

I understand your point, but I think it ties into a larger problem.
If the military wasn't excessively spending so much money that they are giving away MRAPs for free, we could probably spend more money on things local PD actually need.

I completely agree, i just think it's disingenuous to say "they can afford" MRAPs when they really couldn't if they had to pay for it themselves.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

What's your source for the details, specifically that he had already brandished a knife prior to the cops coming? I'm genuinely curious.
When initial reports came in several witnesses confirmed that he was being irrational, and had a knife. I think its safe to assume that info was in the dispatch call.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Vincent Van Goat posted:

is it cynical of me to say that I wouldn't be surprised if the feds subsidized that as well?

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Pellisworth posted:

Glancing at two or three articles on the topic which interviewed the 911 caller(s) who stated they told police he had a knife.

St. Louis Paper

"Powell started throwing the items on the street and sidewalk. St. Louis Alderman Dionne Flowers, who owns a nearby beauty shop, witnessed the encounter and told officers the man was acting erratically and had a knife.

Dotson said the store owner and the alderman said the suspect was “armed with a knife, acting erratically, pacing back and forth in the street, talking to himself.” The store owner from the market and Flowers called 911."

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

SirJohnnyMcDonald posted:

Protest has started in earnest. Argus is streaming.

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/9035483/events/3271930

Seems entirely peaceful.

Where at

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

54.4 crowns posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-P54MZVxMU

What....wait what.....

Am I lead through the noose here...what just happened...and why must I ask if this is real?

The loving comments on this. Jesus goddamn Christ I know it's YouTube but hell.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Mr. Glass posted:

I completely agree, i just think it's disingenuous to say "they can afford" MRAPs when they really couldn't if they had to pay for it themselves.
Agreed. I know that when I said "they" I didn't mean the PD themselves, but more a criticism of the entire system that funds it. I assume others are using "they" the same way.

SirJohnnyMcDonald
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx

They just passed by the cameras a couple of times. I assume they're marching down West Florissant ave.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
sounds like the protest is moving back to ferguson

https://twitter.com/CaseyNolen/status/502260195771576321

quote:

‏@CaseyNolen
#Clayton protest over. Police Capt. accepted letter of demands for county prosecutor. Protestors returning to #Ferguson

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Untagged posted:

Glancing at two or three articles on the topic which interviewed the 911 caller(s) who stated they told police he had a knife.

St. Louis Paper

"Powell started throwing the items on the street and sidewalk. St. Louis Alderman Dionne Flowers, who owns a nearby beauty shop, witnessed the encounter and told officers the man was acting erratically and had a knife.

Dotson said the store owner and the alderman said the suspect was “armed with a knife, acting erratically, pacing back and forth in the street, talking to himself.” The store owner from the market and Flowers called 911."

Ok, thanks.

Worth pointing out, then, that this somewhat invalidates the "cops were justified in immediately pulling guns, because he might be concealing a gun in his pocket." If they already knew he was brandishing a knife...

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Untagged posted:

See, you are committing a fallacy here because I didn't do that. You are just saying I did to try and divert attention from you.

Mr. Glass posted:

I understand how they receive the military property, and I agree. They are however, still paying some money for that property, even if it is absurdly cheap. As another person pointed out, they then have to deal with the costs of owning that property, from maintenance to storage. In the long term, they aren't getting anything for free. They are simply choking their future budgets with costs they can't afford, which stops them from obtaining the things they really need.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 21, 2014

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
It sure looks like we just saw a mentally disturbed guy get shot because the cops immediately jumped into the situation thinking "us or him!" Is there really no better training for the police on dealing with these situations?

haha what a stupid loving question right?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
News crews about to get wrecked by a big rear end storm.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
:stare: the camera guy and bystanders are lucky as poo poo that the knife guy moved before they killed him because of where they were standing.

SirJohnnyMcDonald
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
There's a lady out with a sign supporting Wilson.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Untagged posted:

Why do so many folks seem assume all cops carry tasers or have them immediately available? Many don't. It can be pretty hard to effectively judge a situation in light of not knowing what may or may not have been available to an officer at the time of an incident.

Based on poo poo like this they really ought to do whatever's necessary to outfit every squad car with some sort of non- or less than-lethal weapon like a taser, stun gun or bean-bag rounds for the shotgun in the trunk. They certainly don't have a shortage of that poo poo in the local armory.

Aren't situations like in the video exactly what these sorts of weapons were designed for? When someone wants to commit suicide by cop, you're not supposed to oblige them without a second thought. You're supposed to preserve life whenever possible, at least that's what I've been led to understand.

Neo Duckberg posted:

There is an electronic sign that says "approved assembly area" really far from everything

haha gently caress me.

"You can practice your first amendment right to free speech and assembly, just as long as you do it where we tell you to, in this out-of-the-way location where nobody will see you."

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Neo Duckberg posted:

News crews about to get wrecked by a big rear end storm.

good lord man just use a porta potty

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Raskolnikov38 posted:

:stare: the camera guy and bystanders are lucky as poo poo that the knife guy moved before they killed him because of where they were standing.

I'm thinking the guy knew this. You see him look back and check where the bystanders were located then he hops the wall.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

Update, 7:00 p.m. ET: Chief Jackson presented a slightly different account early Friday evening, telling NBC News that while the police officer who shot Brown initially stopped him for walking in the street and blocking traffic, “at some point” during the encounter the officer saw cigars in Brown’s hands and thought he might be a suspect in the robbery.

Do we have access to the police radio from that period? Did they say that the suspect had stolen a box of cigars? I thought that it was someone outside the store who called it in, not the clerk, so it would be good to know if they had specifically said it was a box of cigars over the radio so we could know if that's a viable story.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.
How hard is it to shoot a guy in the loving LEG?!

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
It's the bit where he's on the ground and they keep shooting. That's when you know this poo poo isn't right.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Vincent Van Goat posted:

That, and they just sit on it instead of selling it back to the military or holding a private auction so someone like Ted Nugent can buy them up, then using the liquid cash to get things that would actually go to good use for their role in society as civilian law enforcement.

It's like winning a giant yacht on a game show at a time when your kids are having to make due with goodwill donations for clothes... and then just keeping the yacht anyway for the odd weekend excursions out on the lake.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

54.4 crowns posted:

Despite a large portion of the world succesfully doing it, "it just won't work in america".

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

54.4 crowns posted:

People die from getting shot in the leg. Guns are lethal force. If you're using lethal force you should be using it because it is the only option left. If you're shooting to disable you shouldn't be shooting at all.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Obliterati posted:

It's the bit where he's on the ground and they keep shooting. That's when you know this poo poo isn't right.

for me, it was the part where he was walking towards the police while they did absolutely nothing to try to deescalate the situation. but different strokes i guess

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Rent-A-Cop posted:

People die from getting shot in the leg. Guns are lethal force. If you're using lethal force you should be using it because it is the only option left. If you're shooting to disable you shouldn't be shooting at all.

Justified use of force does not equal the only course of action.

If you have a dude with a nuclear detonator, you can shoot him. If you have a way to drop a pillow on him, you can do that too, despite the use of firearms being justified.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Is the "I am Mike Brown" stream only playing audio from the right side for anyone else? It's kinda weird to have noise in one ear, and dead silence in the other.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Maybe they would have killed him from shooting him in the leg. It's better to try to be non-lethal and fail than to immediately resort to shooting to kill.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
lol wtf

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/502264163608313857

quote:

@jbouie
A woman carrying a sign in support of Wilson has inspired an angry crowd that’s following her down West Florissant.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Ah, so you can try and shoot a guy in the leg to incapacitate him, and hope he doesn't die; or you can just shoot him a dozen times in the torso and head because if you are going to shoot someone, you might as well kill them.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Fat dumpy woman goes there to purposefully start poo poo. Surprise surprise.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Where is that nice lady I'm going to go say hi

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Neo Duckberg posted:

Look for the hobbit like fat white dumpy woman in a yellow shirt or just look for the crowd of pissed off as gently caress people.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Agrajag posted:

Look for the hobbit like fat dumpy woman in yellow.

this is an insult to hobbit women

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Rent-A-Cop posted:

That's the exact sort of logic we employed in my youthful tabletop gaming days to justify horrendous deeds upon captured assailants and the like. Snicker-worthy when you're 19 years old and it's a kobold, not so much in real life though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Neo Duckberg posted:

On the anon stream it looked like she got put into a cop car. Not in cuffs mind you, just politely given a ride.

• Locked thread