Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Violence is okay but sexuality isn't. Children being horrifically murdered? A-okay! People want more of that in video games. But have one girl who looks a little young peck a character on the lips accidentally and suddenly it's "creepy."

Personally, I don't get fussed over either since it's fiction. But a lot of people hold this bizarre double-standard.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 4, 2018

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

NikkolasKing posted:

Violence is okay but sexuality isn't. Children being horrifically murdered? A-okay! People want more of that in video games. But have one girl who looks a little young peck a character on the lips accidentally and suddenly it's "creepy."

Personally, I don't get fussed over either since it's fiction. But a lot of people hold this bizarre double-standard.

Oh here we loving go again.

A Total Melvin
Mar 13, 2006

IT'S DANGEROUS TO GO ALONE, TAKE THIS.

NikkolasKing posted:

Yes, that's creepy.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I wouldn't blame a person if they wanted to murder those children in Skyrim, there is only so much canned dialogue a person can take.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Violence is okay but sexuality isn't. Children being horrifically murdered? A-okay!
Children being murdered is generally framed as Bad. Star Ocean 4 frames sexualizing children as Good. Killing children is a bad guy evil thing to do. A girl who 'looks a little young' kissing the main character is hilarious and/or hot.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
Skeezy really is a great way to describe SO4, but don't forget that underneath all of that creepy and uncomfortable anime bullshit was a pretty bad game.

I still laugh at the name EDGE MAVERICK though so I guess it wasn't all bad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Seuxalized children is not okay. This isn't about sex vs violence. It is about heavily sexualized teenagers/preteens. It is also about those things being encouraged by the game. It is creepy. Having a romance plotline with a girl who is both physically and mentally six years old is creepy as poo poo.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

NikkolasKing posted:

Spoken like someone who has never touched another human being.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

BloodWulfe posted:

I still laugh at the name EDGE MAVERICK though so I guess it wasn't all bad.

EDGE MAVERICK deserved a much better game.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

EDGE MAVERICK deserved a much better game.

EDGE MAVERICK deserves a franchise and ridiculous retro-80s theme song.

SO4 remains the only game I rented from GameFly only to immediately return without even putting it in my machine because someone linked that god drat nappy time cutscene. It saved me the shame of having it forever on my trophy list.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
SO4 is unapologetically bad throughout. I love the Star Ocean series but 4 wasn't so much an entry as the steamy poo poo it made in its own pants as it let out its deathrattle. Add the creepy romance plot to a mediocre, at best, battle system and a plot that is tepid, at best, and it becomes a very difficult game to defend for anything other than somehow being unintentionally bad to the point of hilarity.

Even among fans it is a very difficult game to defend, even if you ignore the child dating. Someone link the kiss scene and if you can watch it without cringing you have have a problem.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I may have to name my first born child EDGE MAVERICK. No matter which gender.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I actually thought the battle system in SO4 was really good, but yeah, the plot is completely unsalvageable.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The plot managed to be worse than 3's (which was admittedly okay except for the really dumb plot twist halfway through.)

4 openly showed how things are declining in Japan. There's more and more pandering to the creeps since they blow tons of money on overpriced figures and such.

That side has been there since at least the 90s but not much from it left Japan until maybe the last decade.

Edit: \/ 3 is saved a lot by a fairly likable cast.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 20, 2014

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
All this talk made me boot up 3 again, just to make sure I wasn't crazy for ever liking this series. I was surprised that I was totally into it, the first few hours were actually pretty cool. There was even some, admittedly really minor, foreshadowing for the dumb thing.

At least the director admitted 4's the last one.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It wasn't even really the twist of 3 I had trouble with per se, it was the execution of it that was sloppy.

But it's still preferable to Star Ocean 4 and Edge Maverick being a mopy whiny prick for causing the destruction of a fake Earth that never happened.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

okay so I don't remember so4 very well but wasn't the earth maverick destroyed like a parallel earth or something? An alternate universe thing.

i dunno, all I remember is thinking the rest of the cast was disturbing cavalier over the death of billions of people.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah it was some strange alternate history Earth thing. The dumb cat girl came from there.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

okay so I don't remember so4 very well but wasn't the earth maverick destroyed like a parallel earth or something? An alternate universe thing.

Yes. In the space of about five hours of gameplay - on the first disc, no less, before you've even hit the planet you'll spend the most time on - EDGE MAVERICK manages to:

- Fall into a black hole
- End up in Roswell on a parallel Earth about 500 years in the past
- Pick up a catgirl
- Trust a megalomaniac who sets off a planet crusher
- Fall through another black hole caused by said planet crusher(?)
- End up in a parallel universe fortunately similar to the one he started in, presumably
- Reach destination
- why is the catgirl okay with this, let alone anyone else

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
If it makes you guys feel better, Tri-Ace is mostly doing contract work these days in order to support themselves since they can't easily secure funding for games like Star Ocean. All their IPs are owned or co-owned by their publishing partners. Similar to Hexadrive, they are an independent Japanese developer with technical skills that are based on console development. Tri-Ace's design team is specialized in JRPGs and reliant for publishers for funding. However, their skill set hasn't made it easy to find funding for original games in the current state of the Japanese industry.

Not many Japanese publishers are greenlighting JRPGs with significant budgets for home consoles. Many of have have scaled down console development in favor of handhelds and mobile devices. The few publishers that do want to publish JRPGs on consoles already have in-house staff who can develop them. So Tri-Ace ends up working on IPs owned by other developers as contractors, such as the FFXIII sequels or the recently announced Vita Phantasy Star. Unlike Platinum, they don't have the luxury having a staff that can develop for genres with strong global appeal, such as shooters and action games.

It's very difficult to be a tech savvy JRPG developer in Japan if you don't have a big publisher backing you. They usually relied on Square-Enix for support but even they've run into problems this past generation. A few years back, Tri-Ace even showcased a tech demo about the improvements to their cross-platform technology. Since then, they've moved onto mobile development (Powerpoint download). There was a time that they could've been the Japanese Epic Games and provided a strong middleware for the Japanese game industry. However, Silicon Studios is fulfilling that role.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cake Attack posted:

i dunno, all I remember is thinking the rest of the cast was disturbing cavalier over the death of billions of people.

Yup. I love that they let him mope for hours, or even days, over a bunch of trivial things, but being directly responsible for killing several billion people and destroying a planet? Quit being a pussy and walk it off already Edge! :smuggo:

Stelas posted:

Yes. In the space of about five hours of gameplay - on the first disc, no less, before you've even hit the planet you'll spend the most time on - EDGE MAVERICK manages to:

- Fall into a black hole
- Pick up a catgirl
- End up in a parallel universe fortunately similar to the one he started in, presumably
- Reach destination

Oh it gets idiotic right off the bat. The entire premise of the SRF's exploratory mission is flushed down the toilet the moment Earth calls in the Vulcans Eldarians for help. Who then immediately set up a fancy Eldarian base and upgrade the Calnus with new fancy parts just for fun. They could've done this for Earth right off the bat and saved them the deaths of most of the SRF, along with the loss of most of their ships.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yup. I love that they let him mope for hours, or even days, over a bunch of trivial things, but being directly responsible for killing several billion people and destroying a planet? Quit being a pussy and walk it off already Edge! :smuggo:

Sounds like character development to me! :downs:

The one thing (among many, I'm sure) that always bothered me about SO games (up to 3, at least) is that the sci-fi element gets immediately discarded after the first 5 minutes, except maybe one token character with a gun, like Opera. It could have had this sci-fi/fantasy element, or at least a tone similar to any Star Trek episode regarding the Prime Directive, but nope, just turns into fantasy kingdom problems JRPG after those first 5 minutes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Seems you've all repressed forgotten one of the singularly worst parts of Star Ocean TLO though, as no-one's mentioned it yet.

Welch.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

That was why I was shocked when Resonance of Fate happened, and I really enjoyed it!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Seems you've all repressed forgotten one of the singularly worst parts of Star Ocean TLO though, as no-one's mentioned it yet.

Welch.

Kay?

Welch was nothing compared to that.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

That was why I was shocked when Resonance of Fate happened, and I really enjoyed it!

That was back when SEGA greenlit a lot of new IPs, such as their publishing deal with Platinum Games. None of them performed very well so they restructured themselves to be a mostly digital publisher. I'm still glad we got some enjoyable games even they were unlikely to get sequels (without Nintendo buying the purchasing rights).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I seriously feel bad because Sega 2007-2011 was putting out some wildly original stuff which reminded me of Square's late 90s boom.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm always a big torn on Tri-Ace kinda falling to the wayside. They were such a wildly inconsistent developer depending on which team was doing things. They managed to put out three Valkyrie Profile games which I enjoyed immensely but I know that if they put out another one there's like a 50% chance it would be either one of my favorite games ever or an immense atrocity.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

it's even kind of obvious playing star ocean 2 that it was only any good accidentally. technically, it's a giant loving mess and there is incompetence visible in every step, but these things add up to something cool...

air slash!!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

it's even kind of obvious playing star ocean 2 that it was only any good accidentally. technically, it's a giant loving mess and there is incompetence visible in every step, but these things add up to something cool...

air slash!!

I feel the same way with Symphony of the Night. Under the hood that game is held together with bubblegum but it arguably saved Castlevania which just couldn't make the transition to 3D

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Stelas posted:

- Fall into a black hole
- Pick up a catgirl
- Reach destination
There was a SECOND black hole? Oh man, I quit immediately after the first one after Emo Edgy broke my back.

---

Honestly the only reason I ever give Star Ocean games a shot is because there are so very few sci-fi RPGs to play every year. I'll always hold them to lower bars just to enjoy the genre. SO is usually worse off though because it tends to abandon the fringe sci-fi stuff really quickly and ground you on planets set with lower tech so meh.

Something like Infinite Space comes to mind though which I really enjoyed, even if the gameplay completely falls apart half way through the game. There's just something about building your own fleet and playing tetris with your internals I guess.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 20, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mokinokaro posted:

The plot managed to be worse than 3's (which was admittedly okay except for the really dumb plot twist halfway through.)

My only problem with the first half of Star Ocean 3 is that it's literally the first half of Star Ocean 2 and almost the entirety of Star Ocean 1, even down to the "we're a medieval kingdom and we need to invent a magic superweapon" thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, that's my big problem with SO3's first half too. It's kind of just another retread of the same "Star Trek dudes on Fantasy Planet" thing which is like the least interesting thing you can do with SO's setting.

Admittedly SO4 actually let you go to other (admittedly mostly fantasy) planets and WELP.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

My only problem with the first half of Star Ocean 3 is that it's literally the first half of Star Ocean 2 and almost the entirety of Star Ocean 1, even down to the "we're a medieval kingdom and we need to invent a magic superweapon" thing.

it's also kind of reminiscent of the part of star ocean 2 where narl hides magic superweapons for no reason, in that fayt leingod (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) crashes on a planet and uses his space age replicator that is 1000000x years ahead of the technology of the planet he is on to create the worst sword in existence, worse than the smithy in 'gnome town' five feet away from where he crash lands can create.

what was wrong with having a phase gun that runs out of batteries

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, that's my big problem with SO3's first half too. It's kind of just another retread of the same "Star Trek dudes on Fantasy Planet" thing which is like the least interesting thing you can do with SO's setting.

Admittedly SO4 actually let you go to other (admittedly mostly fantasy) planets and WELP.

What put it over the top for me was that the main character would NEVER. LET YOU. FORGET. That there is a Prime Directive.

"Okay, so we crashed into a backwards planet. May as well get out. "
"But the Prime Directive!" :v:
"...Kid, we crashed a ship in the middle of a populated town. Not much else we can do here to make things worse. "
"But...but...Prime Directive" :saddowns:

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
What RPGs can be compared to Xenogears in terms of epic scope and worldbuilding?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

theblackw0lf posted:

What RPGs can be compared to Xenogears in terms of epic scope and worldbuilding?

Xenoblade? :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
On a non-Star Ocean topic; Is Tales of Xillia 2 any good?

Unlucky7 posted:

What put it over the top for me was that the main character would NEVER. LET YOU. FORGET. That there is a Prime Directive.

"Okay, so we crashed into a backwards planet. May as well get out. "
"But the Prime Directive!" :v:
"...Kid, we crashed a ship in the middle of a populated town. Not much else we can do here to make things worse. "
"But...but...Prime Directive" :saddowns:

To be fair, they managed to fob the ship off as coming from a small reclusive country and as a mere "flying machine" rather than full-blown spaceship.

GulagDolls posted:

it's also kind of reminiscent of the part of star ocean 2 where narl hides magic superweapons for no reason, in that fayt leingod (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) crashes on a planet and uses his space age replicator that is 1000000x years ahead of the technology of the planet he is on to create the worst sword in existence, worse than the smithy in 'gnome town' five feet away from where he crash lands can create.

what was wrong with having a phase gun that runs out of batteries

The Prime Directive :v:. And all he asked for was a basic sword to defend himself with until help arrived, so that's what he got :shrug:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

On a non-Star Ocean topic; Is Tales of Xillia 2 any good?

There's a Xillia 2 thread opened up. Consensus is that if you liked Xillia you'll like it. I'm having a blast with it. It's definitely no Dawn of the New World.