Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Zombones posted:

Welp, my PC died. I need a laptop for work anyway and found this bad boy for a pretty penny. Think I'll be able to run FFXIV on low?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834257833&cm_re=refurbished_asus-_-34-257-833-_-Product

Probably. You probably won't get more than 20-30 frames on low, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Zombones posted:

Welp, my PC died. I need a laptop for work anyway and found this bad boy for a pretty penny. Think I'll be able to run FFXIV on low?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834257833&cm_re=refurbished_asus-_-34-257-833-_-Product

My laptop is worse than that and it plays FFXIV just fine on low.

By "plays just fine" I mean "I have to use a separate computer for teamspeak and mumble or I bluescreen" but like I said, my laptop is worse than that so you should be fine.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

My wife and I are both playing on laptops with integrated graphics cards, and are capable of playing the game on Low. It can be a stuttering mess at times, but it is still playable.

Zombones
Oct 17, 2004
Alight cool. Thanks for the input. I'm still super low anyway and rarely have time to play so as long as I can comfortably level, I'm happy.

Bulk Slabhead
Oct 18, 2013

Shere posted:

Yeah, but at least you get to open the chest. Atma is literally a null-feedback farm. You could farm for hours and do something stupid like have the Zenith unequipped or be in the wrong zone or something and the game never tells you. Do you really want to defend this?

And in most cases the atma/animus/novus is comparable to just, you know, raiding and getting your gerolt weapons up until you can clear t9 and get a high allagan weapon. Atma is supposed to be a casual grind, and it most certainly does tell you that you need to equip a zenith to farm atma. The fact is, there's too many different paths to obtaining new weapons as opposed to atma and it really shouldn't even be a discussion anymore. I managed to kill turn 8 with my group while I was still using a Wave Harpoon from Levi Ex. Not even the upgraded one.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

The Chairman posted:

I think some people have expended more time yelling at other players about how bad atma is than they would've actually getting atma, at this point

What does it say when bitching about a game is more fun than playing it?

I should know. I came from DUST 514. :negative:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

seannykun posted:

The fact is, there's too many different paths to obtaining new weapons as opposed to atma

:laffo:

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

seannykun posted:

The fact is, there's too many different paths to obtaining new weapons as opposed to atma and it really shouldn't even be a discussion anymore.

If you take the "too" out, it's a perfectly sensible statement. The atma/animus/novus grind is just silly when you can have a hell of a lot more fun running Syrcus and hunting for a few hours.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I spent 20 minutes explaining to a guy at work who just hit level 50 his options in obtaining new weapons, so yeah, there are a lot of options. Especially when you don't have the gear level to run CT2 yet.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012
I think the atma grind was at its prime when it came out. There wasn't much else to do, it came out kinda in between content/when titan ex was walling a lot of people, including myself. It's kinda pointless now to do it with all the different ways to get weapons, but since I started it back then, I can finally finish it up (currently collecting alexandrite) while doing the rest of the content that is out there that I have yet to touch like Ramuh Ex and Second Coil. I'm sure there will be another patch where there will be not much to do, so picking up atma might be an option then.

edit: haha, just saw my avatar. what prompted that?!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

cancerianmoth posted:

edit: haha, just saw my avatar. what prompted that?!

Lowtax has been changing up the old stupid newbie avatar.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PhilippAchtel posted:

If you take the "too" out, it's a perfectly sensible statement. The atma/animus/novus grind is just silly when you can have a hell of a lot more fun running Syrcus and hunting for a few hours.

Doesn't hunting require some other stuff as well if you want a weapon?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Robo Reagan posted:

Doesn't hunting require some other stuff as well if you want a weapon?

An Unidentified Allagan Tomestone, which you can get from Syrcus Tower, which you can gear for by hunting.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Hunting is less fun than atma.

That's right, I said it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

DarkHamsterlord posted:

That's right, I said it.

It is, however, much more rewarding. And there is a sense of progress, which atma utterly lacks.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

DarkHamsterlord posted:

That's right, I said it.

Hunting at least has a sense of competition and cooperation (even if it usually results in a shitshow and anger all around from early pulls). I prefer roaming around in a giant LS watching spawn windows to mindlessly repeating the same dozen fates for ten hours. It's not pure RNG, just grindy. And at least noticeably rewarding.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
Wow I'm really glad FF14 is going down again for emergency maintenance!

How the gently caress does this happen all the loving time?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

The Mattybee posted:

They just released a patch yesterday. Emergency maintenance always happens within a few days of a patch because it's inevitable that a few bugs would be introduced.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Mattybee posted:

DF queues are kinda hosed up, there's a FATE in C.Shroud that has golems with katakana names and there seems to be some crashing issue. It's a shame but eh, it's not for long.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

DF queues are kinda hosed up, there's a FATE in C.Shroud that has golems with katakana names and there seems to be some crashing issue. It's a shame but eh, it's not for long.

Earlier tonight my game booted me and locked me out for 15 min with 9000 errors, also since the patch every time I run ST Amon aggros someone while they are still on the floor below.. and he will hunt them down until they are dead the second they zone in. I hope they dont fix that one.

edit: I've also noticed that fireballs / ice have gotten a bit wonky in ST as well. Last night we had a run where there were no fireballs alliance wide. Tonight I got frozen.. and then targeted by a fireball while still frozen and thawed, which while it is convenient is not normal activity. I think they kinda hosed up ST a bit, no idea how.

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Aug 21, 2014

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Fyana also found this while doing her WHM quests...

Apparently this happens to everyone right now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Met the Hildibrand dude today finally after all the hype. He's alright.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Eej posted:

Fyana also found this while doing her WHM quests...

Apparently this happens to everyone right now.

I want her robe. Why isn't this a model we can get somewhere? It's not like it's Kan-E-Senna's or anything.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Intoluene posted:

I want her robe. Why isn't this a model we can get somewhere? It's not like it's Kan-E-Senna's or anything.

You mean A-Ruhn? That's not a 'her' :laugh:

E: But really, I have no idea why Raya gets her own special robe. You're right, it's not extravagant in the slightest, may as well just let people get it somehow.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 21, 2014

fuxxo
Feb 17, 2010

Fucking Pokemon, how do they Surf?

Emalde posted:

You mean A-Ruhn? That's not a 'her' :laugh:

No I think he means the girl NPC in that screenshot who's robe is quite intact.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

quote:

With Unidentified Allagan Tomestones dropping from Syrcus Tower, we feel like there's a different amount of effort required to get the item level 100 weapons. Do you plan to make any adjustments to this?

When you refer to item level 100 weapons I imagine you're talking about Zodiac and Soldiery weapons, but even at item level 100, the nature of each weapon is different.

The soldiery weapon will have no further upgrades after item level 110, but the Zodiac weapon was designed with the assumption that it will continue to get stronger in the future. Also, Novus weapons are the only weapons which have secondary stats which can be adjusted right now, which will factor into their next upgrade. The difficulty of obtaining the Zodiac weapons was adjusted with the future strength of the weapons in mind.

Also, even with the Unidentified Allagan Tomestone dropping in Syrcus Tower, it still takes about three weeks of Soldiery to obtain the item level 100 weapon, so you can't just obtain it immediately.

However, for players who are just getting into the Zodiac weapons now, it might seem like a mountain of effort ahead starting with the Atma collection. For those players, we'll continue to make adjustments as time goes on.

So the drop rate for Atma won't be increased just yet?

Correct. I've said it before, but I'll repeat it, the drop rate of Atma really isn't that low....

Well, when you're going after the Unidentified Allagan Tomestone, you're also obtaining mythology and soldiery, and in Syrcus Tower, you might also go for a piece of armor. On the other hand, if you're going after Atma, you're doing FATEs with that sole purpose, so there's definitely a different amount of motivation required.

Well, that's because those players have Atma as their only objective. The quests were designed with difficulty based on getting strong weapons at the expense of getting other items. Trying to force your way through it quickly now can be painful, so it might make more sense to instead work on it more slowly and get a Soldiery weapon for now. Once patch 2.4 comes out, you can keep going since new weapons will be added and the item levels will continue to increase.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Did the rumor of the in game time having a factor in Atma dropping turn out false?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
No, Japanese Atma Time is real.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Whizbang posted:

No, Japanese Atma Time is real.

Also, wearing Relic Zenith makes Titan EX Geocrush more often.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Spiritbonding outside of the specific level range is kind of jacked up. Ran AK last night while working on my SMN relic, and the i45 and i46 accessories I had on got no bonding whatsoever the whole run.

Working as intended, I guess, but now I guess for those pieces you just equip 'em for your beastmen dailies and then head over to Urth's Gift.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Azubah posted:

Did the rumor of the in game time having a factor in Atma dropping turn out false?

Yes, Yoshida confirmed it was false during a Q&A a while back.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
That quote about how future upgrades will factor in to how the current infusions for Novus will go for relics is at the same time concerning and heartening. Concerning because if you decide you didn't like your infused stats for the next tier, you need to grind up another Novus; heartening because they have plans in place to straight up improve your relics based on what you infused. Hopefully they'll have plans in place to allow you to adjust each tier of upgrade as you get gear for each tier.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
They've said that you will be able to adjust the custom stats later on so you're not locked in permanently with what you've done. You just can't change them right now.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

"Oh, I hear Rowena just got in a stack of Novus-realignment plates, why are you giving me that look? Anyway, just meld them with one Dealexandrite and Materia of the stat you want to lower to remove it, and that will allow you to use another Alexandrite plus the materia of the stat you want to raise! Of course, failure/success chances will continue to be cumulative from where you left off and"

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 21, 2014

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Rei_ posted:

"Oh, I hear Rowena just got in a stack of Novus-realignment plates, why are you giving me that look? Anyway, just meld them with one Dealexandrite and Materia of the stat you want to lower to remove it, and that will allow you to use another Alexandrite plus the materia of the stat you want to raise! Of course, failure/success chances will continue to be cumulative from where you left off and"

Holy poo poo that's not even funny :smithicide:

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Samba De Amigo posted:

Holy poo poo that's not even funny :smithicide:

Because it's probably going to be something like that, goddamn SE.

I'm about to finish my first book, gonna be all pimp with my +2 DEX, just 2 FATES to go.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

I'm personally convinced that redoing your stats will "just" involve you getting another sphere scroll and melding it with another 75 materia.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I'm really glad I have no desire to do the Atma farm or progress past that since some of the super high-level stuff in this game is literal bullshit

Instead I'm having fun leveling a monk :cool:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Monks fun, monks REALLY fun. Dragoon and Monk are the two alt-classes I've been toying with for funsies (and drg as an alt for coil since our static doesnt have one). Does Monk have a move for ESCAPING from things? Like Bard has repelling shot and Dragoon has Elusive Jump. Dragoon has two gap closers and one gap MAKER but Monk just has Shoulder Tackle I think? (Shoulder tackle is WAY too much fun though) Adapting to playing melee and escaping AOE attacks has been...interesting since mistakes are suddenly a hell of a lot more lethal.

Scylla's just loving wacky when you get like, three different AOEs overlapping in the same spot and you manage to Elusive Jump away from all of them and then Dragonfire Dive back in without missing a step in your rotation but then the other 90% of the time you just get taken down to like 10 health.

I can finally afford to replace my 360 controller today. It broke right before Coil this week and I couldn't configure my PS4 controller properly so I was literally tanking Turn 6 with one hand because the other was holding up a controller cable. It was...something else. I don't want to do it again.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I can't believe people are still going on about relics. Look, I know zenith being easy to get threw off everyone's expectations, but really, relics aren't for everyone anymore. There are lots of ways to get comparable weapons, as I'm sure there will continue to be. It's ok, to not have one, really. :shobon:

• Locked thread