Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theadder
Dec 30, 2011

what does it make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ben Grahams Ghost posted:

until the carriers set up their shop on the home screen and relegate the play store to the app list

lol if you think the average poor that walks into a store and strides proudly out with their free flavor of the month android pos is going to have any idea there are stores, plural, they'll use the thing that is right there under the second clock

lol ur gonna be so disappointed in the near future

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shaggar posted:

the last ship is so bad but its bad in a way that hasn't happened in decades.

i got three episodes in and i just couldnt do it anymore.

god's honest truth there is a scene where a marine guy says "we don't negotiate with terrorists" and triggers some kind of explosion to kill escaped gitmo prisoners

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

lol ur gonna be so disappointed in the near future

well if we're gonna constrict it to the near future sure my pillow will be stained with tears

but i think google's collapse will be more of a long, slow thing they have a lot of money they aren't just gonna disappear no matter what the carriers do

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Last Chance posted:

i got three episodes in and i just couldnt do it anymore.

god's honest truth there is a scene where a marine guy says "we don't negotiate with terrorists" and triggers some kind of explosion to kill escaped gitmo prisoners

yeah its incredible.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Smythe posted:

shaggar convinced me to watcht he epic fail show THE LAST SHIP

shaggar the horrible

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also now google has metrics for you liking horrible things lol

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
my google rep invited me out to a little gaming industry get together last night and got me hammered, also all my old co-workers from EA were there and they also got hammered. it was fun.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

cremnob posted:

because anroid was only successful because carriers allowed them to be. i dont think people realize how much power carriers have and in every non-iphone phone, they're the customer.
So android shamelessly copied iPhone in every way except not giving the carriers a goddamn cent because gently caress you carriers you didn't earn poo poo?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

well if we're gonna constrict it to the near future sure my pillow will be stained with tears

but i think google's collapse will be more of a long, slow thing they have a lot of money they aren't just gonna disappear no matter what the carriers do

google will never collapse, apple however will

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
tcl rune ios

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

how long have we got fishmech :ohdear:

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
lol apple can only survive so long running on the fumes of a personality cult

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theadder posted:

how long have we got fishmech :ohdear:

less than 10 years

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

google is a $400 billion company with a virtual monopoly on a multibillion dollar core ad business

the company could "collapse," android could be a forgotten memory, 99% of their employees could quit overight, and google would still be hugely profitable

they can do anything they loving want, and they'll have that capability for decades

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
conversely apple is a consumer electronics company whose brand was virtually unknown ten years ago. they're engaged in a pitched battle for a saturated market in a few rich countries.

i don't think it's likely but apple actually could pull a 'sony' and just kinda fade away in its current core markets and lose shitloads of money. consumers are fickle and apple just doesn't have many magic network effects working for them

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

conversely apple is a consumer electronics company whose brand was virtually unknown ten years ago engaged in a pitched battle for a saturated market

i don't think it's likely but apple actually could pull a 'sony' and just kinda fade away in its current core markets and lose shitloads of money. consumers are fickle and they don't have many magic network effects working for them

no, the brand was well known, but the products were mostly unwanted. extremely high resistance to using anything else apple sold even though people were plenty ok with buying ipods and occasional purchasing itunes music

today they dont even really have the ipod anymore and their only popular products are consistently shrinking slices of the phone and tablet markets. they will probably revert to 90s apple share levels and eventually go out of business, as they were originally on track to if the ipod hadnt been able to succeed

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

good poo poo, keep it ocming

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Last Chance posted:

good poo poo, keep it ocming

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
keep it ocremix coming FTW guile theme PWNAGE

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

google is a $400 billion company with a virtual monopoly on a multibillion dollar core ad business

the company could "collapse," android could be a forgotten memory, 99% of their employees could quit overight, and google would still be hugely profitable

they can do anything they loving want, and they'll have that capability for decades

they trade at a 30x multiple to earnings right now - if they traded at the market average they've be worth half as much.

right now they are trading at that multiple because it's a "growth" story but as revenue falls from advertising they'll be revalued at a more appropriate p/e. search will become a commodity, especially on mobile, because people don't give a poo poo who answers whatever they type into a search field on the phone so long as the result is usable. a good indicator that google is worried would be them trying any and every possible product/service in the hope that something sticks to try and replace lost ad dollars, which coincidentally is what they are doing

facebook, for better or worse is gonna eat their lunch. advertisers only care about targeting as accurately as possible and google is not going to be able to offer targeting as precise as facebook will without some innovation

the big thing they have going for them is (iirc) all the stock voting rights are held by larry, serge and maybe eric. investors have no say so the montessori boys are free to do whatever they'd like and can continue to pitch money into whatever hole they choose, buying up companies and loading up on goodwill until they inevitably have to write it all off in a few years

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

they trade at a 30x multiple to earnings right now - if they traded at the market average they've be worth half as much.

they trade at a 30x multiple because they have 60 billion in cash. exclude the cash and their P/E is around 25.

for perspective, let's look at some boring consumer brands:
  • altria (phillip morris usa), 20
  • pepsi, 21
  • proctor and gamble, 21
  • coca-cola, 22

i don't think google has much of a growth story either, but i think they probably have a 20% better growth story than freaking phillip morris usa. at least google's customers aren't literally dying off

p.s. "average" P/E makes no drat sense because there are shitloads of stocks that are worth nothing. you would need to weight it by market cap and probably also facet by industry to extract any numbers that are useful

p.p.s. it's still crazy that phillip morris and coke are trading at 20+ p/e, this is a monster asset bubble. google is just swept up in a larger craze for stocks

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 21, 2014

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

lots of profit to be had giving people in china and india lung cancer.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

conversely apple is a consumer electronics company whose brand was virtually unknown ten years ago. they're engaged in a pitched battle for a saturated market in a few rich countries.

i don't think it's likely but apple actually could pull a 'sony' and just kinda fade away in its current core markets and lose shitloads of money. consumers are fickle and apple just doesn't have many magic network effects working for them

dude you're forgetting a key fact: apple has the affluent lady market loving cornered

granted this is an understandable oversight for you

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

facebook, for better or worse is gonna eat their lunch. advertisers only care about targeting as accurately as possible and google is not going to be able to offer targeting as precise as facebook will without some innovation

i initially called you an idiot and banged post. i felt bad, so here comes an effort post.

targeting is extremely valuable on television. if i want to sell a minivan to mid-40s soccer moms, i have no way to tell which ones are looking to buy a car. i do know how to reach every mid-40s soccer mom in the tri-state area: buy air time on shows that match the demographic.

i won't precisely hit the people thinking of buying my minivan, but i will hit everyone who might ever want a minivan, regardless of whether they want a minivan right now. and i'll hit them with a 30 second spot that takes up 100% of the television, has full motion video, blaring sound, and potential to entertain.

search advertising doesn't offer that level of intrusion on the user. but it cuts out all the crap about demographics. it doesn't have the same potential to engage, but it offers the ultimate targeting: i hit the people thinking about buying my product, right now. i have no idea if you're a mid-40s soccer mom or a dog on a keyboard, but if you search "notorious b.s.d. minivans" i know you are exactly the person i need to reach.

unfortunately, i can only reach you with a very-ignorable text ad. good thing for me, you're trying to find me, too. because it is intent harvesting. you intend to buy a minivan, you tell google/bing that quite deliberately, and i can reach you through that search

facebook and twitter advertising manage to combine the inept targeting of television with the garbage user engagement of text blurbs on bing. i have no idea whether you want to buy poo poo, and i'm showing you three lines of text you don't want to see

the numbers just about speak for themselves:
  • facebook averages $0.60/user/quarter

• users average 60 hours/quarter on the site

• that's a penny per user per hour
    (and conversion rates are terrible)

• if you look at revenue and not profit, it's four pennies an hour. woot.

the inept targeting and high prices on TV ads are starting to look p. good, aren't they?

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 21, 2014

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

dude you're forgetting a key fact: apple has the affluent lady market loving cornered

granted this is an understandable oversight for you

sony cornered this in the 80s with the walkman

you see a lot of 2014 affluent ladies with walkmen?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

sony cornered this in the 80s with the walkman

you see a lot of 2014 affluent ladies with walkmen?

yes

also polaroids and record players

kinda scratching my head as to why betamax and minidisks/archos players aren't more of a thing now tho

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

nope.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Shifty Pony posted:

lots of profit to be had giving people in china and india lung cancer.

anderoid lol?

swapping phones every six months generates a lot of e-waste.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
as an affluent lady i

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ultramiraculous posted:

anderoid lol?

swapping phones every six months generates a lot of e-waste.

well to be fair lots of phones are pretty much e-waste from the beginning so tossing them just makes it official

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i initially called you an idiot and banged post. i felt bad, so here comes an effort post.

targeting is extremely valuable on television. if i want to sell a minivan to mid-40s soccer moms, i have no way to tell which ones are looking to buy a car. i do know how to reach every mid-40s soccer mom in the tri-state area: buy air time on shows that match the demographic.

i won't precisely hit the people thinking of buying my minivan, but i will hit everyone who might ever want a minivan, regardless of whether they want a minivan right now. and i'll hit them with a 30 second spot that takes up 100% of the television, has full motion video, blaring sound, and potential to entertain.

search advertising doesn't offer that level of intrusion on the user. but it cuts out all the crap about demographics. it doesn't have the same potential to engage, but it offers the ultimate targeting: i hit the people thinking about buying my product, right now. i have no idea if you're a mid-40s soccer mom or a dog on a keyboard, but if you search "notorious b.s.d. minivans" i know you are exactly the person i need to reach.

unfortunately, i can only reach you with a very-ignorable text ad. good thing for me, you're trying to find me, too. because it is intent harvesting. you intend to buy a minivan, you tell google/bing that quite deliberately, and i can reach you through that search

facebook and twitter advertising manage to combine the inept targeting of television with the garbage user engagement of text blurbs on bing. i have no idea whether you want to buy poo poo, and i'm showing you three lines of text you don't want to see

the inept targeting and high prices on TV ads are starting to look p. good, aren't they?

basically search is a gold mine for advertising because you search to find a thing you want to buy.

social is for finding what your friends are doing.

notice how I didn't say buy in that second statement

pram
Jun 10, 2001
fabecook

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Boxturret posted:

as an affluent lady i

go on

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

pagancow posted:

social is for finding what your friends are doing.

notice how I didn't say buy in that second statement

pinterest is dangerously close to this. someone finally managed to get people make a profile consisting almost entirely of "i would really like to buy this for my house" items.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

good lord

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

are u aware that its possible to fishmech with many fewer words (cf fishmech)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
sometimes its better to have the truth written out in full hth

pram
Jun 10, 2001
wheres cremblob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ultramiraculous posted:

pinterest is dangerously close to this. someone finally managed to get people make a profile consisting almost entirely of "i would really like to buy this for my house" items.

Pinterest almost has an ad business that makes sense.

I wonder why it's not just rolling in dough. Narrow demographics? Too many women?

• Locked thread