Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why'd they take away all your teeth :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kwyndig posted:

Let's be honest, the kind you run into at GenCon that would be that close would probably assume that your thighs are supposed to smell that way, or possibly that this is the fabled 'soap' that they've heard so much about.

Cornstarch. It's basically what baby powder is made of and has a neutral scent.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The official diagnosis was unrecoverable caries. I'll be getting dentures in a few weeks after everything heals.

The unofficial diagnosis was my teeth be messed up yo, basically years of skipping dentist visits and one hell of an infection, combined with the unfortunate habit of grinding my teeth, left the inside of my mouth a mess.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Kwyndig posted:

The unofficial diagnosis was my teeth be messed up yo, basically years of skipping dentist visits and one hell of an infection, combined with the unfortunate habit of grinding my teeth, left the inside of my mouth a mess.

:smith::respek::smith:

sup.
I often joke that I inherited the teeth of british peasantry. Sometimes brushing and flossing just ain't enough yo.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my grandpa had something similar happen when he was young

also he lost his hair really young

and then skin cancer took him before i was old enough to remember him

basically i really hope i don't have his bad genes

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Losing your hair at 21 sucks. It also sucks to be overweight and have health problems stemming from that. I really wish younger me took better care of myself so I wouldn't have to.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Skin cancer is pretty hit or miss genetically from what I understand. That said, stay out of the loving sun Tollymain. I'm mostly Irish and I won't go out for more than ten minutes without sunscreen.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kwyndig posted:

That said, stay out of the loving sun

oh don't worry i'm pretty much a :drac: by nature anyway

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
If nothing else, from experience, a full frontal sunburn is terrible. Remember, if you go into the ocean, reapply sunscreen and never fall asleep on the beach.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Covok posted:

If nothing else, from experience, a full frontal sunburn is terrible. Remember, if you go into the ocean, reapply sunscreen and never fall asleep on the beach.

Falling asleep on the beach is a legit contender for Worst Thing Ever if you're pale.

Skin bubbles, man.

Covok
May 27, 2013

LeSquide posted:

Falling asleep on the beach is a legit contender for Worst Thing Ever if you're pale.

Skin bubbles, man.

I'm not pale, I'm actually a bit dark. Skin still burns the same if you wait long enough.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I remember this one time as a tween when I had this horrible sunburn on my chest that was drying out. It was so painful at the peak the I ran into the shower to run cool wayer on my chest. This probably didn't help. Anyways it was so mind numbingly painful that it was the only brief moment in my life that the idea of dying seemed even mildly appealing.

Basically yeah, gently caress sunburns, wear sunscreen.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

LeSquide posted:

Speaking of things that happened to us on a beach: Box Jellyfish. It happened to me as a child, and I actually cannot remember how much it hurt. Like, I can remember curling up into a ball in anguish in deep enough water that I would have drowned if I didn't have my family with me, I can remember crying like a baby for hours, I can remember a fortnight of being covered with welts and my dad rubbing meat-tenderizer into me so it would heal, but I don't remember the pain at all. It is merciful that we forget.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

quote:

*Gencon stuff*

Thanks for all the advice! I might try to go sometime, if I can ever afford it.

You should set up one of those carnival strength testers at a con game and determine a character's strength by how hard a player can hit it.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Covok posted:

I played Buddy Fight recently. I personally didn't enjoy it, but, to be fair, the set available was a mirror fight for some reason.

Yeah, if you were using "Dragon World" and it came with a dumb introductory comic, that was the demo version of Buddyfight.

Both are very similar (you and the allies you call to your side fight together against your opponent and their allies, with everyone able to buff each other up), but Buddyfight is more similar to M:tG and Kaijudo/Duel Masters.

In it, you have three columns you can summon people to: Left, Center, and Right. As the player, your life can only be targeted by an enemy attack if the center column is open. There's also a limited size to the arena - different creatures have different size values, and each side may only have creatures on the field if the sum of their sizes is no more than 3 (think of the battles happening in the Colosseum in Kingdom Hearts, and everyone can play creatures ranging from human size to Cerberus).

In return, if your center column is open, you can equip a weapon and just do it your loving self. Your weapon doesn't count against this size restriction, plus it's anime as hell.

Before each game, you and your opponent will each set aside a card to be your Buddy. They stand to the side and cheer you on, unless you call a copy of them to one of your columns: then you gain a 3 point boost to your life for free (it's called Calling Your Buddy).

Vanguard, on the other hand, works more like a cross between Battle Spirits, Warcraft, UFS, and a role playing game. No spells, monsters, artifacts and crap; all cards in your deck are units who can be summoned to fight for you. There are three columns still, but now there's a front and back row. In the front center space, is the Vanguard Circle. You start with a "Grade 0" unit on this space, and each turn can Ride another unit of the same grade or higher (typically up to Grade 3, though there are a couple of Grade 4 units out there).

Now that Vanguard of yours is special: it's you! Along with being you, the Vanguard can never be destroyed, but being bit by a successful enemy attack can make you take damage.

The remaining spaces on the board are Rear Guard circles, and you can Call units to fill these spaces. There is a catch, however: you may only Call units with the same Grade of your Vanguard or lower.

When your Vanguard attacks, it gets to perform a Drive Check - this is where you reveal the top card of your deck, and put it in your hand. If that revealed card had a special symbol in the top right corner, you trigger a special effect (appropriately named a Drive Trigger). They each give one of your units +5000 Power, and let you do one of the following effects:
  • Draw - Draw a card.
  • Heal - As long as you don't have more cards in your damage zone than your opponent, discard one of the other cards in your damage zone.
  • Stand Stand up one of your Rear Guard units
  • Critical One of your units deals your opponent one more damage if they hit a Vanguard

Whenever your Vanguard gets bit by an opponent's unit, you reveal cards from the top of your deck equal to that unit's Critical, and if any of those cards have a symbol in the right-hand corner you Drive Trigger then as well.

In Vanguard, if you get dealt your 6th point of damage, you lose, whereas in Buddyfight, the first person to lose all of their Life (points) loses.

EDIT: Ugn, forgot to mention the mechanic that gives "Buddy"fight it's name. It's in italics.

TheSoundNinja fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 21, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The only thing you need to know about Buddyfight is that this is the official English version of the anime's opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4ha8_FgYs0

It is literally sung by the same people as the Japanese one.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I'm trying to think of all the obscure CCG games I know but I'm just blanking. Future Card Buddyfight is the stupidest name for a card game I can think of.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
The commercials for Buddy Fight involve some wrestler getting upset with kids because they don't use honorifics when addressing him.

He later has his revenge by beating them at a card game for children.

Covok
May 27, 2013

TheSoundNinja posted:

Yeah, if you were using "Dragon World" and it came with a dumb introductory comic, that was the demo version of Buddyfight.

Yep, that's definitely what we were playing.

quote:

Both are very similar (you and the allies you call to your side fight together against your opponent and their allies, with everyone able to buff each other up), but Buddyfight is more similar to M:tG and Kaijudo/Duel Masters.

In it, you have three columns you can summon people to: Left, Center, and Right. As the player, your life can only be targeted by an enemy attack if the center column is open. There's also a limited size to the arena - different creatures have different size values, and each side may only have creatures on the field if the sum of their sizes is no more than 3 (think of the battles happening in the Colosseum in Kingdom Hearts, and everyone can play creatures ranging from human size to Cerberus).

In return, if your center column is open, you can equip a weapon and just do it your loving self. Your weapon doesn't count against this size restriction, plus it's anime as hell.

Before each game, you and your opponent will each set aside a card to be your Buddy. They stand to the side and cheer you on, unless you call a copy of them to one of your columns: then you gain a 3 point boost to your life for free (it's called Calling Your Buddy).

Vanguard, on the other hand, works more like a cross between Battle Spirits, Warcraft, UFS, and a role playing game. No spells, monsters, artifacts and crap; all cards in your deck are units who can be summoned to fight for you. There are three columns still, but now there's a front and back row. In the front center space, is the Vanguard Circle. You start with a "Grade 0" unit on this space, and each turn can Ride another unit of the same grade or higher (typically up to Grade 3, though there are a couple of Grade 4 units out there).

Now that Vanguard of yours is special: it's you! Along with being you, the Vanguard can never be destroyed, but being bit by a successful enemy attack can make you take damage.

The remaining spaces on the board are Rear Guard circles, and you can Call units to fill these spaces. There is a catch, however: you may only Call units with the same Grade of your Vanguard or lower.

When your Vanguard attacks, it gets to perform a Drive Check - this is where you reveal the top card of your deck, and put it in your hand. If that revealed card had a special symbol in the top right corner, you trigger a special effect (appropriately named a Drive Trigger). They each give one of your units +5000 Power, and let you do one of the following effects:
  • Draw - Draw a card.
  • Heal - As long as you don't have more cards in your damage zone than your opponent, discard one of the other cards in your damage zone.
  • Stand Stand up one of your Rear Guard units
  • Critical One of your units deals your opponent one more damage if they hit a Vanguard

Whenever your Vanguard gets bit by an opponent's unit, you reveal cards from the top of your deck equal to that unit's Critical, and if any of those cards have a symbol in the right-hand corner you Drive Trigger then as well.

In Vanguard, if you get dealt your 6th point of damage, you lose, whereas in Buddyfight, the first person to lose all of their Life (points) loses.

EDIT: Ugn, forgot to mention the mechanic that gives "Buddy"fight it's name. It's in italics.

I really do appreciate the effort you put in to trying to explain it and it does sound fairly cool, but I'm more a learn by doing type of guy so there some parts I didn't really follow. Still, it sounds like an interesting enough game.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Covok posted:

Yep, that's definitely what we were playing.

I really do appreciate the effort you put in to trying to explain it and it does sound fairly cool, but I'm more a learn by doing type of guy so there some parts I didn't really follow. Still, it sounds like an interesting enough game.

Easiest way to get a feel for it, besides buying two different decks and playing with a friend: check out the anime. The first season follows a complete newbie through learning the game and how tournaments work. Each season then has the first couple of episodes be "hay you forgot? hereis how game play" and "shiny new mechanicssss..."

Plus, the evil force of the first season? Being That Guy.

Covok
May 27, 2013

TheSoundNinja posted:

Easiest way to get a feel for it, besides buying two different decks and playing with a friend: check out the anime. The first season follows a complete newbie through learning the game and how tournaments work. Each season then has the first couple of episodes be "hay you forgot? hereis how game play" and "shiny new mechanicssss..."

Plus, the evil force of the first season? Being That Guy.

Well, that is half of the point of those shows, isn't it? Get the kids into the game? Though, it's nice to hear they are now making animes actually educational on how to play the products they advertise considering how Yu-Gi-Oh! just used to make poo poo up.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Covok posted:

Well, that is half of the point of those shows, isn't it? Get the kids into the game? Though, it's nice to hear they are now making animes actually educational on how to play the products they advertise considering how Yu-Gi-Oh! just used to make poo poo up.

Bushiroad has been taking a rather revolutionary stance with Card Game Anime, though: They make it good. Whoever came up with the plots or scripting actually made a story that interested and invested me.

Heck, even Buddyfight's anime isn't half bad, which surprised me.

The series for the Weiss Schwartz TCG doesn't make any sense to me though. Something about some group of Yaoi-bate guys doing... things?

Covok
May 27, 2013

TheSoundNinja posted:

Bushiroad has been taking a rather revolutionary stance with Card Game Anime, though: They make it good. Whoever came up with the plots or scripting actually made a story that interested and invested me.

Heck, even Buddyfight's anime isn't half bad, which surprised me.

The series for the Weiss Schwartz TCG doesn't make any sense to me though. Something about some group of Yaoi-bate guys doing... things?

Isn't Weiss Schwartz the game all about playing your favorite anime, sort of? Like I saw it in a con once and all the cards were of anime characters.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Night10194 posted:

How many disasters? Does every conceivable disaster occur within 24 hours?

One disaster per session, though the definition of "disaster" can vary. Is "earthquake" and "volcano eruption downtown" two disasters or one? :iiam:

Because it's one of my games, the GM gets a pool of points to build any given disaster from, and the players get involved, loving up the GM's plans. Unlike other games, it's focused enough that the only mechanical engagement is "do I save people or not?" No generic system, no rules for conflicts that work for debates and for giving people a makeshift tracheotomy with a rusty I-beam. "Do I save these people?" That's all the game's concerned about.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Spoilers Below posted:

Guy who plays/runs a lot of 2nd ed Rolemaster here.

Advice snip

Thanks for the advice on this. Ran the first session last night and I experimentally threw 8 at-level mooks (using the NPC creation guidelines) at my group of 5. The situation had the PCs acting defensively and dumping almost all their OB into DB so it was nearly impossible for the mooks to hit them. There were a couple of solid crits from the PCs when they did go on the offensive (one of them had rolled the Slayer background from Companion 1 Skill at Arms and was a slayer of Men, so he ended up with a "slice femoral artery. Foe falls to the ground and dies after 12 sad rounds" result) but other than that just a lot of plinking for small amounts of hits. Tells me I may need to use slightly higher OB/lower DB baddies if I want the fights to be a little more dynamic, but not too much so or it will be swingy as hell.

I think that one crit sold the group on the system, or at least showed them a taste the glory I'd been going on about for years.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Covok posted:

Didn't the Yu-Gi-Oh anime/manga/whatever came first actually predate there being a card game at all?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Kwyndig posted:

The official diagnosis was unrecoverable caries. I'll be getting dentures in a few weeks after everything heals.

Jesus. And here I was sympathizing with the thigh-chafers. I'm going to go brush my teeth to thank them for being so well-behaved.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TheSoundNinja posted:

Bushiroad actually isn't a TCG, it's a Japanese company that makes and sells TCGs.

Their two current games are Cardfight!! Vanguard and Future Card Buddyfight. They sound dumb (at least I thought Buddyfight did at first), but both have some pretty neat mechanics.

My preference is for Vanguard. It's like a cross between UFS and Battle Spirits (the last TCG I was really in love with). I could talk about the rules, if there isn't a thread.

Unlike Bandai/Namco America (the company that released Battle Spirits), Bushiroad isn't "Bushiroad America". The Japanese company has been translating and releasing their games all around the world, and put the Anime series for both Buddyfight and Vanguard on Youtube and Crunchyroll, and the player base has been slowly growing.

They also make Weiss Schwarz, which is the same basic system as the other two games but the sets are all licensed anime properties.

Covok posted:

I played Buddy Fight recently. I personally didn't enjoy it, but, to be fair, the set available was a mirror fight for some reason.

I also heard Buddy Fight is supposed to be a simplified version of Vanguard. Don't know if it's true.
Man, that sounds rough.

Because they only printed one demo deck. I don't get it either. And yeah, that's what I heard from our Vanguard players when I was at the shop.

Zereth posted:

Didn't the Yu-Gi-Oh anime/manga/whatever came first actually predate there being a card game at all?

Yes. It's why the rules in the story don't match up with how the game is played beyond extremely basic things.

I SPENT TWO YEARS SELLING CARD GAMES AND CARD GAME ACCESSORIES DON'T JUDGE ME

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 21, 2014

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
We're playing Marvel FASERIP in a few weeks. :syoon:

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Are there any games that mechanically reward exploration or focus on exploration heavily as a theme?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Spincut posted:

Are there any games that mechanically reward exploration or focus on exploration heavily as a theme?

Numenera? As I recall, the XP rewards are specifically tied to discovering new things rather than fighting or whatever.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Spincut posted:

Inverse World!

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

potatocubed posted:

Numenera? As I recall, the XP rewards are specifically tied to discovering new things rather than fighting or whatever.

After reading the F&F writeup, yeah, it does reward exploration, but the classes really don't reflect that sort of focus. You could probably use the XP system as a source of ideas, though.

edit: Alternatively Numenara with everyone running a Nano

Darwinism fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 21, 2014

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Oooh, good call, thanks everyone! I have Numenera sitting around from a Bundle of Holding purchase, and I need to grab Inverse World anyway.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
There's also Ryuutama which is all about a group of explorers going around and exploring things without a major emphasis on combat.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Kai Tave posted:

There's also Ryuutama which is all about a group of explorers going around and exploring things without a major emphasis on combat.

Yeah, the game suggests that with your starting money only one or max two members of your party should buy a weapon, saving money for the rest of the party to buy valuable stuff like umbrellas, medicine, tents, and musical instruments.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DigitalRaven posted:

One disaster per session, though the definition of "disaster" can vary. Is "earthquake" and "volcano eruption downtown" two disasters or one? :iiam:

Because it's one of my games, the GM gets a pool of points to build any given disaster from, and the players get involved, loving up the GM's plans. Unlike other games, it's focused enough that the only mechanical engagement is "do I save people or not?" No generic system, no rules for conflicts that work for debates and for giving people a makeshift tracheotomy with a rusty I-beam. "Do I save these people?" That's all the game's concerned about.

That sounds pretty interesting. Are you planning to playtest it in the Games Room? I was mostly making that joke because there was a ridiculous game being LPed in Games about every disaster (from earthquake to nuclear accident) occurring within 24 hours as a burly, stupid hero fueled by enormous hamburgers shoots his way through terrorists and administers first aid to civilians through it all. Still, I'd definitely be interested in a game about Save As Many People As You Can From This Awesome Hurricane.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Spincut posted:

Chuubo's Immersive Fantasy mode focuses on exploration and discovery. I haven't thought of trying to do it for exploration in the Lewis-and-Clark sense, but it seems like it woul still fit just fine.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Night10194 posted:

That sounds pretty interesting. Are you planning to playtest it in the Games Room? I was mostly making that joke because there was a ridiculous game being LPed in Games about every disaster (from earthquake to nuclear accident) occurring within 24 hours as a burly, stupid hero fueled by enormous hamburgers shoots his way through terrorists and administers first aid to civilians through it all. Still, I'd definitely be interested in a game about Save As Many People As You Can From This Awesome Hurricane.

I'll do a playtest in TGR when I've a bit more time on my hands (couple of weeks, probably). If you're interested, the draft link is in the Game Writing Workshop thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Darwinism posted:

After reading the F&F writeup, yeah, it does reward exploration, but the classes really don't reflect that sort of focus. You could probably use the XP system as a source of ideas, though.

edit: Alternatively Numenara with everyone running a Nano

The Numenera XP system is terrible, do not use it. I just never got around to writing it up. Just don't play Numenera in general, it's pretty mediocre.

Play Ryuutama or Inverse World, they look cool.

e: I am enjoying this bright new era of constantly shifting newbie avatars.

Tulul fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 21, 2014

• Locked thread