Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I totally expect him to make use of the controller's speaker for something other than voice logs and of course touching the pad to fish your hand through a toilet or rusty hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'd love to see something like the fight with The End from MGS3 in Silent Hills but with a monster/ghost/whatever stalking you through an area.

This was kind of what Miasmata did, but obviously less focus on the scare and more on the survival.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

al-azad posted:

fish your hand through a toilet

Who would even think of doing something so disgusting?

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
Among the Sleep is a fun indie game where you play from the point of view of a toddler. Had some good solid scares and is only $20 on steam last I checked.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Five Nights at Freddy's is really stupid for a lot of reasons, and while I think jump scares are cheap and I personally hate them for reasons others have brought up (jump scares will make me have a scared reaction regardless of decent quality or buildup, which is easy), FNAF is a great anxiety simulator. There's a lot going on at once and it's very challenging to juggle each of the different characters' quirks and patterns.

For instance, at one point I was trying to keep track of where Freddy the bear was, because he moves through rooms in a certain pattern before reaching your door (at which point you need to close that specific door), but at the same time, the bunny character, who has a different movement pattern, was at risk of coming up and jamming my door, making it so that I couldn't shut the door if Freddy came. And a more minor example is the fox, which you can't check on too much or too little, so you have to kind of time yourself for visiting his camera, while having to manage the others loving with you.

So to me it was less scary and more anxiety-inducing, which is pretty good for some hair-raising action. :)

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Suzuki Method posted:

Five Nights at Freddy's is really stupid for a lot of reasons

What reasons are those? You seem to have an overall positive opinion of it in the rest of your post.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

adamantium|wang posted:

The demo version is the first two nights. The first to get you to understand the mechanics, and the second ramps up the difficulty and starts to change the rules on you. Dude bases his entire review on the tutorial half of a demo.
Yeah I just picked up the full Five Nights at Freddy's game and played to night 2, and the first night is really dull but that changes so fast. I kinda went into the game not expecting much, but it's really got me on edge. I didn't watch any videos or read much about it beforehand, and all their movements so far seem really random and unpredictable, which is kinda terrifying.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GANDHITRON posted:

What reasons are those? You seem to have an overall positive opinion of it in the rest of your post.

It's definitely stupid in at least one sense of the word, there's a good bit of black comedy under the premise. Even disregarding the haunted-animatronic bit, the only reason the game keeps going is because your character refuses to quit his job at the pizza parlor from Hell.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.

Oxxidation posted:

It's definitely stupid in at least one sense of the word, there's a good bit of black comedy under the premise. Even disregarding the haunted-animatronic bit, the only reason the game keeps going is because your character refuses to quit his job at the pizza parlor from Hell.

That seems to really bother people a bunch. The premise of someone repeatedly going back to a job with murder robots is as implausible as any other horror movie/game situation, but a good amount of people are really having trouble swallowing it.

That said, playing the game is a lot different than watching, mainly because there are a lot of environmental sounds that you can't really pick up through a youtube video. Hearing the rabbit robot walking around the halls with a cartoony 'DUP DUP DUP' was pretty funny in contrasting with the fact that it's out to kill you.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Those HarshlyCritical videos really make Freddy's look loving tense. That guy doesn't startle easily, but man does he freak out every time the robots get him.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Cardiovorax posted:

Those HarshlyCritical videos really make Freddy's look loving tense. That guy doesn't startle easily, but man does he freak out every time the robots get him.

The first time Bonnie appears his sudden :stare: and fist raising cracked me up like a loving idiot. He's not so above getting scared after all.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm surprised he had the presence of mind to survive Gold Freddy. That thing's a really bullshit trick on the game's part and definitely what I would consider a traditional-bad jump scare.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
When I saw just a screenshot of Gold Freddy I was thinking that it was just a spare costume that gets put into your booth during a later night due to them "running out of storage space", and was only to keep you on your toes. That would've been so much better than "Oh, there's now a magical Freddy robot who can teleport inside of your booth with you and will just vanish if you go into your camera".

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Man, I am so hyped for Silent Hills. I really do think Kojima is the perfect guy to bring back the franchise, since he is really great at finding unique ways to mess with the player through game play mechanics and 4th wall breaking tricks.

I fully expect we will get horror equivalents of Psycho Mantis reading your memory card and having to look at the back of the box to find the right codec frequency.

I hope they make use of the PS4 unique features like the controller speaker. The 'LOOK BEHIND YOU' would have been even more terrifying if it came out the speaker there. Or looking through your trophy data/games installed on your HD and commenting on them. Or if you have the camera plugged in, secretly take photos of you and somehow incorporate them into the game in a photoframe or something.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

When I saw just a screenshot of Gold Freddy I was thinking that it was just a spare costume that gets put into your booth during a later night due to them "running out of storage space", and was only to keep you on your toes. That would've been so much better than "Oh, there's now a magical Freddy robot who can teleport inside of your booth with you and will just vanish if you go into your camera".

It's not even a robot, it's an empty suit that materializes if you see a certain poster in the restaurant and will kill you via full-screen scream-shot if you linger on it for more than a few seconds. If you go back to the cameras, click away from the poster, and lower the camera again, poof, it's gone.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You mean that thing that appeared randomly on night 1? I didn't even realize that was special, I just thought one of the robots had wandered in and back out again.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

adamantium|wang posted:

The demo version is the first two nights. The first to get you to understand the mechanics, and the second ramps up the difficulty and starts to change the rules on you. Dude bases his entire review on the tutorial half of a demo.

And he still loses to it, somehow.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
That's the thing with Allshamnowow, dude does good "reviews" every now and then of lovely, obscure games that he completely shits on and he's occasionally funny about it, but this one was more of a miss. Then he starts going on about Markiplier (who to be fair mugs the camera like crazy) and you can taste the bitterness. I know horror games aren't exactly at their top game now, man, but give a few a chance. There're jewels in the middle of the turds.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'd love to see something like the fight with The End from MGS3 in Silent Hills but with a monster/ghost/whatever stalking you through an area.

Since Kojima loves naming schemes, I bet he could use the tarots.

The above could be a boss battle called The Lovers and you get stalked by a girl like Lisa but you have to kill her boyfriend, who has her spirit link or something.

I'm just thinking off The House of the Dead here.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Since Kojima loves naming schemes, I bet he could use the tarots.

The above could be a boss battle called The Lovers and you get stalked by a girl like Lisa but you have to kill her boyfriend, who has her spirit link or something.

I'm just thinking off The House of the Dead here.

This is a cool idea. I always liked liches in D&D with their phylactery you have to hunt down. You could have an entire encounter where you're in a mansion or something being stalked by an immortal creature that can't be killed until you find whatever object it's tied to.

I always wonder how Deadly Premonition would have played out if the horror gameplay elements were actually good. Alan Wake was originally an open world game before the idea was scrapped and it would have played as an investigation during the day and nightmarish combat at night.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

al-azad posted:

This is a cool idea. I always liked liches in D&D with their phylactery you have to hunt down. You could have an entire encounter where you're in a mansion or something being stalked by an immortal creature that can't be killed until you find whatever object it's tied to.

I always wonder how Deadly Premonition would have played out if the horror gameplay elements were actually good. Alan Wake was originally an open world game before the idea was scrapped and it would have played as an investigation during the day and nightmarish combat at night.

Speaking of Alan Wake, what did you guys think of that as a horror game? I actually thought it could be pretty drat scary at moments and being lost in the woods I think is an underutilized setting for horror. I grew up next to a big forest though so maybe it's ingrained into me in a way.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

Speaking of Alan Wake, what did you guys think of that as a horror game? I actually thought it could be pretty drat scary at moments and being lost in the woods I think is an underutilized setting for horror. I grew up next to a big forest though so maybe it's ingrained into me in a way.

I never thought Alan Wake was particularly scary, but it did have some good atmosphere. The pacing is my main problem with that game - it peaks about 3/4ths of the way through and then just keeps going long after I got tired of the mechanics.

al-azad posted:

The new Dark Souls 2 DLC actually has an area that's a bit like this where you encounter a bunch of these huge ghostly soldiers that take forever to kill and can gently caress you up real easy since you can't break their attacks. Later on you find their corpses hanging on the wall in this big tomb, and destroying them makes them corporeal and super easy to kill. It was a really great moment.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 21, 2014

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Hakkesshu posted:

I never thought Alan Wake was particularly scary, but it did have some good atmosphere. The pacing is my main problem with that game - it peaks about 3/4ths of the way through and then just keeps going long after I got tired of the mechanics.

Yeah, Alan Wake owns but it's not a very scary game. Tense at best. It's like the Silent Hill version of Dead Space.

I had a different complaint about the pacing...all those woods hikes in the first few chapters got old real fast. I thought it picked up from the trailer park and stayed solid for the rest of the game. The different environments were enough for me to keep me going.

EDIT: It was also one of my favorite games to screenshot.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 21, 2014

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Alan Wake had one of the worst, most intrusive HUDs of any game I've played. I will shout this from the rooftops.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Oxxidation posted:

Alan Wake had one of the worst, most intrusive HUDs of any game I've played. I will shout this from the rooftops.
You can disable it in the PC version.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I had to look up screenshots to even be reminded what the HUD looked like, so I'm going to have to strongly disagree. It was so non-intrusive that I didn't even notice it existed. And when I played it, I played it on a 4:3 monitor so it was even closer to the center of the screen that it was for most people who played.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Zombie Samurai posted:

Yeah, Alan Wake owns but it's not a very scary game. Tense at best. It's like the Silent Hill version of Dead Space.

I had a different complaint about the pacing...all those woods hikes in the first few chapters got old real fast. I thought it picked up from the trailer park and stayed solid for the rest of the game. The different environments were enough for me to keep me going.

EDIT: It was also one of my favorite games to screenshot.

The Verizon Wireless ad at the end was really jarring. It shouldn't unlock an achievement and have someone lol-ing before the climax.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

IPlayVideoGames posted:

The premise of someone repeatedly going back to a job with murder robots is as implausible as any other horror movie/game situation, but a good amount of people are really having trouble swallowing it.

This actually isn't true and many horror films and games go out of their way to make the place inescapable in a closed circle environment.

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

I see the point that it doesn't really make sense for the protagonist to return to Freddy's after the first night, but I don't see how it should count against the game, because the game itself is aware of this and plays it up as a joke. There's already some evidence of this from just the overall goofy tone of the introductory phone messages, but it really becomes clear when you see the ending. Even after putting your life on the line for five full nights, given what you know about where you're working, your reward for making it through the game is no more or less than you should have expected it to be: a paycheck for a hundred and twenty dollars. The entire game is just a buildup to a punchline about lovely hourly wage jobs.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Wanton Spoon posted:

I see the point that it doesn't really make sense for the protagonist to return to Freddy's after the first night, but I don't see how it should count against the game, because the game itself is aware of this and plays it up as a joke. There's already some evidence of this from just the overall goofy tone of the introductory phone messages, but it really becomes clear when you see the ending. Even after putting your life on the line for five full nights, given what you know about where you're working, your reward for making it through the game is no more or less than you should have expected it to be: a paycheck for a hundred and twenty dollars. The entire game is just a buildup to a punchline about lovely hourly wage jobs.

I mean, they could also be doing the meta thing of "If you're so drat scared, why are you still playing?". I like your whole thing, but at the end of the day, you're still looking at a player who willingly keeps on playing even after they've exhausted their supply of underwear.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
I couldn't get into Alan Wake. It's a pretty game, but it's also a game about a writer with particularly bad writing. That was a bit too much for me.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Brackhar posted:

I couldn't get into Alan Wake. It's a pretty game, but it's also a game about a writer with particularly bad writing. That was a bit too much for me.

Isn't it heavily alluded to that he wrote Max Payne or something similar to it? You kinda have to love that hammy type of dialogue to enjoy the game, I feel.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

Isn't it heavily alluded to that he wrote Max Payne or something similar to it? You kinda have to love that hammy type of dialogue to enjoy the game, I feel.

Alluded to is a bit of an understatement, those are the books he's famous for, and they parody Max Payne pretty hard in some parts of that game. Sam Lake even appears in one of those FMV interviews and he does the Max Payne face.

In hindsight the lovely FMV sequences were the best parts of Alan Wake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjY1WDz8TpI

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I want to like Alan Wake more than I do. I mean, it's basically the best Stephen King game we have (not that there's much competition, I mean, what else is in the running, The Dark Half?), but I just don't like the gameplay. It feels clunky and I don't like fighting the enemies or the floating inanimate objects.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Alan Wake's biggest weakness is its reliance on the same set of 4 enemies or whatever it was. When you're 'fighting' a flock of shadow crows or whatever they were called for the 5th time you pretty much just wanna shut the game off and never touch it again.

It really overstays its welcome in parts.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The combat is also pretty bad. I would say that it shouldn't have been a TPS in the first place, but American Nightmare really improved on the combat and it made me look forward to an Alan Wake 2 when I was kind of indifferent when I beat the first game and its DLC.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
On the topic of Youtubers, my kokoro wish is that Markiplier would stop mugging for the camera so much because I think he's a legitimately charming and funny dude when he's just being himself and not trying to compete for views. :shobon:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Heavy Lobster posted:

On the topic of Youtubers, my kokoro wish is that Markiplier would stop mugging for the camera so much because I think he's a legitimately charming and funny dude when he's just being himself and not trying to compete for views. :shobon:

His entire shtick is that he's a PG-rated pewdiepie, he's not going to stop being a yelling idiot on camera any time soon. If he does it would probably threaten his revenue.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

GANDHITRON posted:

The others basically covered it; the game is black humour done in a super cheesy Goosebumps kind of way. It works for a lot of people but it's not really my thing (I never liked Goosebumps as a kid...) the punchline at the end of the game was pretty funny though. It's definitely stupid.

The game mechanics, however, aren't. It really is a pretty unique game and it gives me a certain anxiety just trying to keep up with the patterns. The jump scares are dumb, but the tension that it builds up through the gameplay is great. The jump scares are only there as a Game Over, so it's not that big of a deal. If you get a jump scare that means you were hosed and have to start over.

The reason why a lot of LPers get the jump scares often is because they talk over the drat phone messages which explain game mechanics and don't pay enough attention. Also the first day is a tutorial and the second day is easy mode day, which is what you get in the demo.

I can compare the feeling to trying to go undetected in the Hitman series. The NPCs have patterns and quirks and you have to deal with a bunch of them at once, and it's tense.

Heavy Lobster posted:

I think Markiplier is really cute. I've only seen one of his videos (surgeon simulator) because I don't really watch LPs. His hamminess doesn't bother me that much but I can see why it puts people off. I like that he doesn't swear every two seconds. That even bothers me about game grumps.

Suzuki Method fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Heavy Lobster posted:

yeh he's amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlRYP0Mfy54