Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
So point a Scimitar at it, load up with 5 Torps and torp Boff skills/traits and go to town on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Most torps share a cooldown right?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, I think there's a 2s shared cooldown for torpedoes. Which is another big indirect nerf to them in general PVE content, but it's there to prevent huge alpha strikes.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Regarding torpedoes, are the Dyson Gravimetric ones with Torp Spread still the way to go? I remember when they first came out that that was an easy way to fill the screen with mini-Gravity Wells, but I don't know if it was changed or not since then.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Melchior posted:

50k ore, 500 fleet marks and 250 marks of your choice after doing it 14 times. Also of note is that completing the quest during the dilithium weekend nets you 75k ore instead of 50k.

poo poo, I was so excited to finally complete the one from last time I didn't notice the dil weekend.

e: Oh, you meant hold the crystal in the bank until the next dil weekend starts.

Szcwczuk posted:

Everyone is running this, you will have no issues finding a group.

And the pubs are so bad at it you'll easily get first place and get a crystal trophy for your ship's lounge (the best trophy).

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 22, 2014

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
That 9/11 event looks pretty lame. Anyone beat the new crystal boss yet ?

Yudo
May 15, 2003

May I have a channel invite: Covetous Shem@lancecannon. Thanks.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

AfroSquirrel posted:

Regarding torpedoes, are the Dyson Gravimetric ones with Torp Spread still the way to go? I remember when they first came out that that was an easy way to fill the screen with mini-Gravity Wells, but I don't know if it was changed or not since then.

I still like it, just because it's fun. Especially with Torp Spread 3. You're just making GBS threads baby grav-wells all over the place.

Unguided posted:

poo poo, I was so excited to finally complete the one from last time I didn't notice the dil weekend.

e: Oh, you meant hold the crystal in the bank until the next dil weekend starts.

Hold the crystals, but you'll need to queue the rep project before the event ends (in three weeks). Complete the project during a dil weekend, and roll naked in all that unrefined dil, you sexy, sexy tribble.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Yudo posted:

May I have a channel invite: Covetous Shem@lancecannon. Thanks.

All done.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Gonna get back into this, but I gotta start fresh since my old 50 got wiped somehow or another. Kallie@sigh_ence

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I still like it, just because it's fun. Especially with Torp Spread 3. You're just making GBS threads baby grav-wells all over the place.

Hold the crystals, but you'll need to queue the rep project before the event ends (in three weeks). Complete the project during a dil weekend, and roll naked in all that unrefined dil, you sexy, sexy tribble.

Pretty sure you could all but complete the project (13/14 crystals) and pop the last one in during dil weekend and be fine.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Sighence posted:

Gonna get back into this, but I gotta start fresh since my old 50 got wiped somehow or another. Kallie@sigh_ence

You're invited.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

hakimashou posted:

An easy peasy way to do CCE is just to set up with some torpedos and hang out at about 9.5km from the entity and shoot in torps.

Torps dont lose any accuracy or effectiveness because of range since the entity doesnt move around, and it doesnt have shields so they do full damage to it.

You can scoot back when it blows it load.

I (albeit in an absolutely maximized pvp torp brel) blew up 3 times because i wasnt paying attention and still got 3rd place just lobbing in torps.

Its probably the most stress free way to do CCE.

Everybody gets third place, it's fancy talk for you lose. Only first and second actually mean anything.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm reading that the CE has a stupidly high resistance to energy weapons, should I convert my D'kora into a missile boat before going in, or will pumping enough phasers (six) still work?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Just go and shoot it with stuff. If you care about getting first or second you could convert to a torpedo boat but if not just go with whatever you've got.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Can a level 40 get in on that action?

Also, I'm assuming that the fleet bank is okay to use with the "don't be a goonfucker" caveat?

Does NoP have mumble? I didn't see it in the OP or the wiki.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Morglon posted:

Everybody gets third place, it's fancy talk for you lose. Only first and second actually mean anything.

I'm not sure if they changed it after the latest patch but you used to be able to get 4th or 5th place. It just wouldn't tell you that you were that bad.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

MoraleHazard posted:

Can a level 40 get in on that action?

Also, I'm assuming that the fleet bank is okay to use with the "don't be a goonfucker" caveat?

Does NoP have mumble? I didn't see it in the OP or the wiki.

Yeah fleet bank rule is if you're going to actually use it take it. No one really cares about it unless you're cleaning out entire tabs and running to the exchange.

There's no NoP mumble just the general goon mumble ask in chat for details.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Morglon posted:

You can get no place at all, just ask my contra-turnin alt who's level 50 but still flying a tier 1 warbird. I think I did more damage with warp core breaches than by actually shooting. Still got my crystal, though.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

g0del posted:

You can get no place at all, just ask my contra-turnin alt who's level 50 but still flying a tier 1 warbird. I think I did more damage with warp core breaches than by actually shooting. Still got my crystal, though.

Still better than 90% of pubs.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Pretty mild but it's true: STO players are only going to find love if purchased.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It seems Xean is violently against people giving out free stuff

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Wish I could've seen the look on Xean's face when his party got crashed.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Uhh... the chat doesn't seem to be working and my friends' list isn't showing up. Nobody is saying anything in ESD. Anybody else having this issue?

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

Uhh... the chat doesn't seem to be working and my friends' list isn't showing up. Nobody is saying anything in ESD. Anybody else having this issue?

Yeah, same here. The chat server is down.

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
chat is off line. And nothing of value was lost.

Xaan is making the most of the silence and scolding us on proper chat etiquette

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=18744851&postcount=16

Jxforema fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 23, 2014

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure there's still an irc channel somewhere

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I keep drifting out of range of the Crystalline Entity and not noticing because it's not like my weapons fire even renders in large fleet events these days, it's always just invisible.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
its actually preferable not to place in CCE.

If you place you get random vendor trash as a reward, if you dont place you get dil.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

Tunicate posted:

It seems Xean is violently against people giving out free stuff

Your mistake was this: You didn't consult Xean first when asking. If he doesn't have absolute control over every single facet of his fleet/channel, then he loses it. If you need help and ask a question, then he needs to be the one to answer, and if someone else beats him to it, he will drone on and on, drowning out the other player's advice.

I was kicked from his channel for asking people if they needed help. He sent me a PM saying: "Just because you are from a big and powerful fleet doesn't mean you own or have power in this channel."

His self-labeled help channel also hates help, apparently.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

MikeJF posted:

I keep drifting out of range of the Crystalline Entity and not noticing because it's not like my weapons fire even renders in large fleet events these days, it's always just invisible.

The CE itself is invisible for me. It's some weird bug that's plagued mac players since before there was an official mac client.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Switch to the DirectX 9 driver in-game. Also don't fly into those black coloured clouds.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Acer Pilot posted:

Switch to the DirectX 9 driver in-game.

I think you missed the "mac version" part.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

wdarkk posted:

The CE itself is invisible for me. It's some weird bug that's plagued mac players since before there was an official mac client.

wdarkk posted:

Pretty sure you can't switch drivers in the Mac client.

I picked up the CCE patch today, managed to run one event and then the game promptly crashed twice as I tried to use the tailor. Oh Cryptic.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
We're going on what, week 2 of daan2006 bitching about being misquoted? Seeing as how he reports people for wearing swimwear off Risa, I think it's safe to say he's been spamming PWE with forum tickets when he's not posting.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

hakimashou posted:

its actually preferable not to place in CCE.

If you place you get random vendor trash as a reward, if you dont place you get dil.

You get dil even if you place.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

DonDoodles posted:

Your mistake was this: You didn't consult Xean first when asking. If he doesn't have absolute control over every single facet of his fleet/channel, then he loses it. If you need help and ask a question, then he needs to be the one to answer, and if someone else beats him to it, he will drone on and on, drowning out the other player's advice.

I was kicked from his channel for asking people if they needed help. He sent me a PM saying: "Just because you are from a big and powerful fleet doesn't mean you own or have power in this channel."

His self-labeled help channel also hates help, apparently.

every time he posts about his channel in esd zonechat i always mention he can help people in zonechat as well. He seems to take it about as well.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

Melchior posted:

every time he posts about his channel in esd zonechat i always mention he can help people in zonechat as well. He seems to take it about as well.

From what I've seen, his channel is less about help and more about him trying to impress people with stories/knowledge no one cares about. He spent a good hour recounting -- in minute, careful detail the entire myth of Theseus and the Minotaur because some pubbie made a (bad) joke about creating a minotaur toon in STO. Pubbies were going in his channel, asking for help, trying to change the subject, but he would not allow his story to be interrupted. Annoyed, some people openly mocked him, but he took it as "they're interested, keep going."

Edit: Here is a description (written by him, naturally) of his Xtern1ty group:

quote:

Founded and led by literary artist Xean and a visionary community including Jacob, Matthew, Carl, Aaron, Rodrigo, Dillon and Xidia. A united global neighborhood with members from over 20 nations worldwide, we aim to advance understanding and fellowship through teamwork.

Literary artist.

DonDoodles fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 23, 2014

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I think he misspelled 'sandwich'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

So it turns out my old 50 wasn't wiped as much as it was under an email I didn't think I used for any games.

Christie@Sighence is ready to resume to adventures of the USS Loose Seal and probably get out of Starfleet Dental because she's still in that because it's that ancient.

e: It's been about two years, give or take. I'll read up on what I can, but for now:

Does it matter for literally any reason, mechanic or story, what order I take these suckers in? They all just came up as I logged back in.

ee: also someone validate Sighence on the wiki please so I can actually read up on these things.

Sighence fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 23, 2014

• Locked thread