Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Inverse World might be better for rewarding exploration, but base Dungeon World can do it well enough, one of the end of session moves is about discovering something new about the world, and it shares all the basic moves with Inverse World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Inverse World's end of session move is all about exploration and new stuff while core Dungeon World's includes combat and treasure. It's slightly different. but IW does fit what was asked better.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Tulul posted:

So I've never been anywhere near Gencon, is it big enough that you need to do the hotel reservation dance a year in advance? Or is it small enough that you can more or less just show up?

You can't do the hotel dance a year in advance - the future dates of GenCon are already blacked out. You have to go through the housing portal, which is the rough equivalent of internet WWI. Everybody gets up out of the trench at precisely 12:00pm when hotel reservations open, and only a lucky few manage to make it through the system with a hotel room next to the con for the entire duration of the con.

Everyone else is mercilessly gunned down by the system. I know I was in the process of reserving something downtown when the system literally booted me and forced me to wait in line again.

My recommendation? Get to know someone who lives in Indianapolis or Airbnb it a year in advance if you don't want to go through the portal [read: you don't want to go through the portal].

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Man, and I thought Origins had a lovely system.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Tulul posted:

The Numenera XP system is terrible, do not use it. I just never got around to writing it up. Just don't play Numenera in general, it's pretty mediocre.

Play Ryuutama or Inverse World, they look cool.

e: I am enjoying this bright new era of constantly shifting newbie avatars.

I miss stupid newbie :(

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

NachtSieger posted:

I miss stupid newbie :(

It feels like we've gone like 4 new newbie avatars in the last two days.

dwarf74 posted:

We're playing Marvel FASERIP in a few weeks. :syoon:

That system is pretty old, according to wikipedia. Playing it with long time players or newbies who like marvel comics/movies?

Zereth posted:

Didn't the Yu-Gi-Oh anime/manga/whatever came first actually predate there being a card game at all?

According to other posters and wikipedia, it is true. Man, oh, man, do I feel sorry for the designers of that game now. Their job was to take a manga/anime and try to turn its made-up, loosely defined game of cards into an actual game of cards. Then, after somehow doing that, they had to try and sell it in a field arguably dominated by a pretty heavy player. That's rough.

Also, Yu-Gi-Oh! are no longer being produced, apparently.

Darwinism posted:

After reading the F&F writeup, yeah, it does reward exploration, but the classes really don't reflect that sort of focus. You could probably use the XP system as a source of ideas, though.

edit: Alternatively Numenara with everyone running a Nano
I ran a game of numernera for a few, short months. As some advice, it worked if you barely used any of the rules. Like, if you used it as if it were a 20 page book and not a 400 page book, it was ok. Still, there are systems that do what it does better.

If you don't mind me giving an advice somewhat on faith, I backed Ryuutama and skimmed through it so far. It looks like a better choice if you want to focus on exploration.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Yeah, I should have thought of Ryuutama, I just read through the thing!

EDIT: The question was more mining for ideas and seeing what is currently available more than what to play, but I'm definitely going to play Inverse World and Ryuutama soon because they both seem amazing.

Spincut fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 21, 2014

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Spincut, I adore your avatar, but every time I look at it I seethe at how only one of the three men throws his head up.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
What is that AV, anyway? It looks like dancing tech support or a deleted Book of Mormon scene.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

LuiCypher posted:

You can't do the hotel dance a year in advance - the future dates of GenCon are already blacked out. You have to go through the housing portal, which is the rough equivalent of internet WWI. Everybody gets up out of the trench at precisely 12:00pm when hotel reservations open, and only a lucky few manage to make it through the system with a hotel room next to the con for the entire duration of the con.

Everyone else is mercilessly gunned down by the system. I know I was in the process of reserving something downtown when the system literally booted me and forced me to wait in line again.

My recommendation? Get to know someone who lives in Indianapolis or Airbnb it a year in advance if you don't want to go through the portal [read: you don't want to go through the portal].

Last year not every hotel got in the housing portal - we found one about half a mile away that didn't.

This year it seems like almost every place did sign up for the portal. If it's anything like the ticket system and/or last year's implementation, I am really not looking forward to it.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Evil Sagan posted:

Spincut, I adore your avatar, but every time I look at it I seethe at how only one of the three men throws his head up.

Goddammit Sagan, now I can't unsee it.

Davin Valkri posted:

What is that AV, anyway? It looks like dancing tech support or a deleted Book of Mormon scene.

It's from a delightful music video for a song called I Hate My Job.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Covok posted:

That system is pretty old, according to wikipedia. Playing it with long time players or newbies who like marvel comics/movies?
Yeah, it's about 25 years old. It's held up pretty okay, though, imo. Also randomly generating super heroes is a hoot.

Lots of us played it as kids, and my players were high on a Guardians of the Galaxy rush.

e: And ryuutama looks amazing. I upgraded from digital to physical.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Covok posted:

Also, Yu-Gi-Oh! are no longer being produced, apparently.

The card game or anime or what? Because either way it's not right. The latest anime started fairly recently and the new series of cards starts this summer. poo poo prints money, it's one of the two biggest card games and is part of a much larger franchise that also prints money.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
On Yugioh chat, it's my understanding that the show and manga did come first, but that the original series was not really about the card game, and instead they played a bunch of other games (including a D&D parody). By the time the series that actually got dubbed came out, the card game already existed, and the new anime was made as a commercial for that.

I might not be remembering all that right, though, it's mostly secondhand knowledge from a friend who used to be into Yugioh.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Loki_XLII posted:

On Yugioh chat, it's my understanding that the show and manga did come first, but that the original series was not really about the card game, and instead they played a bunch of other games (including a D&D parody). By the time the series that actually got dubbed came out, the card game already existed, and the new anime was made as a commercial for that.

I might not be remembering all that right, though, it's mostly secondhand knowledge from a friend who used to be into Yugioh.

No, that's the case. Early issues of the manga were just about games in general, then when they hit the card game story that's where it started getting really popular.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Loki_XLII posted:

One hundred percent accurate.

Also related, YuGiOh is a garbage game and when I hear that someone plays it I lose all respect for them. Here's a fun fact about YuGiOh with context: In the tournament organizer's guidelines for MtG events, for higher level events WotC recommends setting aside a couple of judges or an extra employee or two, just to watch things, just in case. Konami recommends hiring private security or off-duty cops and will reimburse you. I had players come back from big regionals with stories of dudes getting in fistfights or worse on a regular basis. I have never gotten so mad at our players as I did with YuGiOh players. gently caress that game and everyone who plays it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So in completely weird news, I used to go to Gen Con as an exhibitor for Edhellen Armory. I used to help with a swordfighting event, sometimes bashing folks and sometimes helping with the administrative side. I was there with a good dozen or so others, including my buddy Mike (well, Craig, but he goes by his middle name Mike) did this many years back, which some goons may remember:

Which ended with him co-winning a copy of Ptolus

(here pictured with The Moon.)

Well, he turned up in the funniest place recently. Evidently he's the guy in blue, getting his rear end kicked here on Deadspin. He's not recognizable, which is why I'm glad he posted about this on Facebook. (Apparently this is Round 3, which is why they look so drat beat.)

:stare:

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Literally The Worst posted:

One hundred percent accurate.

Also related, YuGiOh is a garbage game and when I hear that someone plays it I lose all respect for them. Here's a fun fact about YuGiOh with context: In the tournament organizer's guidelines for MtG events, for higher level events WotC recommends setting aside a couple of judges or an extra employee or two, just to watch things, just in case. Konami recommends hiring private security or off-duty cops and will reimburse you. I had players come back from big regionals with stories of dudes getting in fistfights or worse on a regular basis. I have never gotten so mad at our players as I did with YuGiOh players. gently caress that game and everyone who plays it.

Wow, that sounds terrible.
Is it just that the player base is toxic or does it have something to do with the game itself?
I played a couple of the Yugioh games for the DS and it didn't seem so bad, but that's not really the same as playing it with other people.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

scissorman posted:

Wow, that sounds terrible.
Is it just that the player base is toxic or does it have something to do with the game itself?
I played a couple of the Yugioh games for the DS and it didn't seem so bad, but that's not really the same as playing it with other people.

Yes. ALl of the above. The player base is either dumb teenagers or pedophiles and the game itself is garbage. Every deck is a combo deck that's trying to gently caress your combo up so it can go off. It's literally just "here's the combo, now cram some disruption in there aaaaand goooood."

I hate it. I hate it so much. Running YGO twice a week for six months nearly broke me.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Evil Mastermind posted:

No, that's the case. Early issues of the manga were just about games in general, then when they hit the card game story that's where it started getting really popular.

The manga is amazing in a really '90s way. There's a chapter where a prick steals the protagonist's booth at the school fair, so he challenges him to a table hockey match with an explosive for the puck. And kills him. Then the final arc involves a D&D ritual to summon ZORC NECROPHADES, god of evil.

I love Yu-Gi-Oh.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
drat, I never really liked the game, despite being the right age when it got popular, but I never realized the player base was that bad.

Makes me glad that the most I ever did was watch the anime when I was a kid and the Abridged series when I was older.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

The censorship in the localization of the Yu-Gi-Oh! cartoon was ridiculous. Most people talk about how the guns were wiped out so murderous assassins would be seen pointing their fingers threateningly instead. My favorite though was a card match where, the more Life Points the players lost, the closer some deadly spinning blades would come to their bodies. It was like, if you lose, you'll get eviscerated.

Except the antagonist was like "These are SHADOW BLADES and if they touch you go to the SHADOW REALM!"

THEN WHY DID YOU MAKE THEM BLADES!?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tulul posted:

The manga is amazing in a really '90s way. There's a chapter where a prick steals the protagonist's booth at the school fair, so he challenges him to a table hockey match with an explosive for the puck. And kills him. Then the final arc involves a D&D ritual to summon ZORC NECROPHADES, god of evil.

I love Yu-Gi-Oh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA3aDWg_4XE&t=450s

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Evil Mastermind posted:

It might be worth noting that, at least before the card games thing started, Yu-gi-oh was loving brutal. The Pharoh alter ego just flat out murdered every motherfucker who got in his way. He challenged some high schooler thug to a game and then, on winning, doused him in oil and burned him to death.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Early Yu-Gi-Oh was like loving Saw.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Kaiji has nothing on early Yu-Gi-Oh!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oh I also forgot to mention that the organized play structure is garbage. Here's an example: YCS Long Beach 2012 set the record for largest TCG tournament until Wizard's GP Las Vegas broke it last spring. Would you like to know what the prizes were for winning this 4000 person tournament?

First place got some cards, a playmat, an iPad, and an invite. An iPad. Four thousand people.

Also I never caught Magic players going behind the counter to try to grab packs and run away. YGO on the other hand.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah I read the pre card game stuff and that was loving brutal for a children's comic.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

It might be worth noting that, at least before the card games thing started, Yu-gi-oh was loving brutal. The Pharoh alter ego just flat out murdered every motherfucker who got in his way. He challenged some high schooler thug to a game and then, on winning, doused him in oil and burned him to death.

Atem doesn't gently caress around :v:. He also uses ancient Egyptian magic to permanently turn a guy's vision into mosaic.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Come to think of it, why didn't the undead pharoh guy just obliterate the poo poo out of the two stooges who threw Yugi's puzzle into the pool? He has destroyed lives for much less.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
In other TCG news, Kaijudo gets the axe

It sucks, I really liked the game, it was what "Magic, but simpler" should be, but it never really caught on.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

Nah the burned guy was a criminal. He did made bullies play explosive ice hockey and played a game with one of them where they would both try to stab their own hands to get money and on the hand the guy was so afraid of stabbing himself that he had a mental breakdown.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I had fun playing Yu-Gi-Oh like 8 years ago. It was a good filler game between friends. :shrug:

Granted, I never worked in a game store, but I always thought that the Pokemon player base was worse. I guess there is a significant overlap between the two though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The game store we do organized play at does YuGiOh on the same night, and there's been one punch thrown and a public announcement from the owner that people were reporting tournament rewards being stolen and that if it didn't stop he'd have zero problem shutting the whole thing down.

Although now they seem to be playing more Kaijudo, so maybe that'll be...

...or not.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I've seen Magic tournaments get pretty heated but I gotta admit I've never seen it get that bad.

Which is sort of surprising, actually.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

The card game or anime or what? Because either way it's not right. The latest anime started fairly recently and the new series of cards starts this summer. poo poo prints money, it's one of the two biggest card games and is part of a much larger franchise that also prints money.

Yeah, nevermind. I don't play the game nor do I keep up with it, but I saw a link to an article about Konami canceling it on my Facebook newsfeed. When you asked for confirmation, I looked for it and found I was being trolled. Makes me the fool, don't it?

Edit: How is Kaijudo? I remember hearing about the show winning some award for using flash in a new way, but don't know anything about the game.

Covok fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 22, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Yes. ALl of the above. The player base is either dumb teenagers or pedophiles and the game itself is garbage. Every deck is a combo deck that's trying to gently caress your combo up so it can go off. It's literally just "here's the combo, now cram some disruption in there aaaaand goooood."

I hate it. I hate it so much. Running YGO twice a week for six months nearly broke me.
I'm not entirely sure if YuGiOh is the worst. Weiss Schwarz was the first time I've ever seen an employee at a local gaming store actively complain about grognards.txt worthy material. Apparently the rules are written with sexual inneudo to the point where its kind of blatant that they did it on purpose.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Tulul posted:

The Numenera XP system is terrible, do not use it. I just never got around to writing it up. Just don't play Numenera in general, it's pretty mediocre.

Play Ryuutama or Inverse World, they look cool.

e: I am enjoying this bright new era of constantly shifting newbie avatars.

But the art in Numenera is so goddamn pretty and evocative :(

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

The hazards of sponsoring Yu-Gi-Oh! tournaments helped sink my friend's game store. Admittedly, young business, lovely town, bad business partner, etc. But it was a huge loss of income when they just could no longer put up with the creeplords and ungovernable children that came with it.

Darwinism posted:

The art is like the only regularly well-done thing in Numenera. It's really sad because the basic premises setting- and system-wise seem so nice. It's a huge missed opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Darwinism posted:

Yeah, I like a lot of the art, particularly the stuff this guy does, which is fantastic. Although it suffers from a pretty inconsistent style. You have stuff like this and this and this all jammed together, which feels really dissonant in a non-deliberate and bad way.

I guess the word for Numenera is disappointing. It has a fantastic hook, some great ideas, and it doesn't really live up to any of it because it's the attempt of a guy who only knows how to write for D&D. :(

• Locked thread