Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Torrannor posted:

Of course GDP/capita isn't an exact science. I don't know if Americans are really 25% richer than the Dutch. Even if they are, are average Americans so much richer than average Dutch persons?

Most people will think of 'the average American', 'the average European' etc as the median rather than the mean which is what GDP/capita measures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Yellow = controlled by Kurdish forces
Orange = controlled by Syrian Rebels (e.g. Free Syrian Army)
Green = controlled by government forces (and, in the case of Syria, allied militias)
Purple = controlled by IS and allied groups

Light green or purple means sparsely populated desert areas.

This map is about a week old. Does anybody have one that is both more recent and ahows other groups besides IS like this one does?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hogge Wild posted:

poo poo is expensive in EU and there are many developing countries in it also.

I come from the red country and I have no idea what it means. Can someone explain it simply?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

kalstrams posted:

I come from the red country and I have no idea what it means. Can someone explain it simply?

You're not a filthy poor.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Rumda posted:

Anymore. :toot:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

kalstrams posted:

You vote Republican.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

kalstrams posted:

On that map, the red countries are countries that were recently, but are no longer, green countries.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

On that map, the red countries are countries that were recently, but are no longer, green countries.

Rumda posted:

Hurray. :toot:

Hogge Wild posted:

You vote Republican.
No, I like my healthcare.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

So Croatia and Slovakia are developed and Poland is not? That seems odd.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

ekuNNN posted:

Nah not really, although there is a Fryske Nasjonale Partij. From Wikipedia: The FNP is a left-wing nationalist party, which advocates a federalist political system in which Frisians get more autonomy. It calls for greater autonomy of the region, government use, protection and recognition of the Frisian language and Frisian control over its gas reserves.

Here's a map of active separatist movements in Europe. Red names indicate regions with movements that only claim greater autonomy within the actual state. Black names indicate regions with important secessionist movements, although both categories include moderate movements. The nations highlighted in colors are the territories claimed by the local nationalist groups, including areas out of the state's borders and cases of annexation to other states:

English devolution is a marvellous beast to talk about. Currently, the English doesn't have an assembly, due to a general consensus that England very rarely can't get English needs through the Westminster parliament. That said, the two major issues that are brought up when it comes to English devolution are tuition fees and prescription charges, which were abolished in Wales and Scotland but still exist in England; tuition fees, controversially, were raised in 2004 by a margin of five votes, when about 17 Scottish Labour MPs voted for them, and consequently abolished them in Scotland.

The primary supporters of English devolution tend to be the English Democrats and UKIP. Mostly, though, they seem to be interested in out-racisting each other.

Currently, there are four regions in the UK that have devolved powers, in terms of the effective power they have: Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, and London. Devolution to other areas is an open question and is most popular in Cornwall (due to its status as a Celtic nation), Wessex (also an ancient nation) and Yorkshire. Labour tried to bring in regional assemblies about ten years ago, but were cancelled after an advisory referendum in the North East (read: Northumberland, Durham, Newcastle, and Sunderland).

Those three regions have active devolution movements and have sympathisers in the Liberal Democrats (who have generally supported devolution for decades), and field their own parties: Mebyon Kernow, Yorkshire First, and the Wessex Regionalist Party. Hilariously, Yorkshire First is pretty much a splinter off the Liberal Democrats, led by someone who was skipped over to replace his wife as a MEP (for conflict of interest reasons).

TinTower fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 21, 2014

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Torrannor posted:

Of course GDP/capita isn't an exact science. I don't know if Americans are really 25% richer than the Dutch. Even if they are, are average Americans so much richer than average Dutch persons?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/23/upshot/the-american-middle-class-is-no-longer-the-worlds-richest.html?abt=0002&abg=0

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The UK could totally give local autonomy to Cornwall, Wessex, Mercia, and Yorkshire. Don't know how the other bits would be organized.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

cheerfullydrab posted:

The UK could totally give local autonomy to Cornwall, Wessex, Mercia, and Yorkshire. Don't know how the other bits would be organized.

Do that and you'll start paying Danegeld again.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Hogge Wild posted:

I don't care if we were still worshipping trees when this poo poo was first going on, we Finns want a cut this time! We're the only ones with a real army anyway :colbert:

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Hogge Wild posted:

Wouldn't that Jork if its under Danish control? At least that's what CK2 taught me.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Peanut President posted:

Jesus Per Capita GDP is that low? What are they doing over there?

Seriously? The answer to this is both completely obvious and so perfectly simple that I must assume you are joking or something.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Vorpal Cat posted:

Wouldn't that Jork if its under Danish control? At least that's what CK2 taught me.

Jorvik. :colbert:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Hogge Wild posted:

That's a lot of swamps.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Kainser posted:

That's a lot of swamps.

Welcome to early medieval England, enjoy your stay. Be sure to check out our world famous petty bickering nobles, crumbling infrastructure, terrible climate, and semi regular foreign invasions.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Vorpal Cat posted:

Welcome to early medieval England, enjoy your stay. Be sure to check out our world famous petty bickering nobles, crumbling infrastructure, terrible climate, and semi regular foreign invasions.

Don't forget plague!

Also this was Northumberland's golden age, so I'm totally fine with a return to that. :colbert:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
The border between Wissex and the Danelaw is roughly the same as the modern division between the East and South East regions of England, isn't it?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

The border between Wissex and the Danelaw is roughly the same as the modern division between the East and South East regions of England, isn't it?

It also happens to run along the Thames.

Edible Hat fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 21, 2014

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Hogge Wild posted:

How much remains of the swamps and alluvia shown in this map?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Hedera Helix posted:

How much remains of the swamps and alluvia shown in this map?

Most of the remaining swamp land outside of nature reserves is in the Fens (north-east of Cambridge) and the Thames estuary. Most of Somerset and Yorkshire was drained centuries ago.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Benito Hitlerstalin posted:

Seriously? The answer to this is both completely obvious and so perfectly simple that I must assume you are joking or something.

Congratulations! It was indeed a joke.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Eboracum, noobs :rolleyes:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I honestly think you could cobble together some heroic myths, make the flag a locally recognized symbol, get the term used by the media, among many other things, and drum up genuine Mercian nationalism within two generations.

Then we'll see about the Danes.

Disclaimer: only been to the UK twice, never in that region.

AlexG
Jul 15, 2004
If you can't solve a problem with gaffer tape, it's probably insoluble anyway.

cheerfullydrab posted:

I honestly think you could cobble together some heroic myths, make the flag a locally recognized symbol, get the term used by the media, among many other things, and drum up genuine Mercian nationalism within two generations.

This reminds me of G. K. Chesterton's The Napoleon of Notting Hill, in which a future king decides to establish London boroughs as microstates, in the interests of poetry and pageantry -

quote:

"To-morrow morning at twenty-five minutes past ten, if Heaven spares my life, I purpose to issue a Proclamation. It has been the work of my life and is about half finished. With the assistance of a whisky and soda, I shall conclude the other half to-night, and my people will receive it to-morrow. All these boroughs where you were born, and hope to lay your bones, shall be reinstated in their ancient magnificence...Hammersmith, Kensington, Bayswater, Chelsea, Battersea, Clapham, Balham, and a hundred others. Each shall immediately build a city wall with gates to be closed at sunset. Each shall have a city guard, armed to the teeth. Each shall have a banner, a coat-of-arms, and, if convenient, a gathering cry. I will not enter into the details now, my heart is too full. They will be found in the proclamation itself. You will all, however, be subject to enrolment in the local city guards, to be summoned together by a thing called the Tocsin, the meaning of which I am studying in my researches into history. Personally, I believe a tocsin to be some kind of highly paid official. If, therefore, any of you happen to have such a thing as a halberd in the house, I should advise you to practise with it in the garden."
Obligatory politically loaded map, the ensuing battles:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

cheerfullydrab posted:

For the moment, though, Mercian nationalism is really just a few blokes with beards that would make Alan Moore weep.

So basically, Lib Dems. :haw:

(Seriously, though, Lib Dems get weirdly aroused at the idea of localism. There was a motion to their conference in Spring in which the argument was not whether regional assemblies should happen, but in what form (NUTS regions vs. contiguous local authorities).

TinTower fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 22, 2014

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Countries that use M16 rifles. (8 million produced)

Countries that use Ak-47 rifles. (100 million produced!)

Red Nations that currently operate with the AK-47.
Orange Nations that currently operate with AK-47 derivatives.
Pink Nations that currently operate with modernized AK-47 derivatives.
Grey Nations that never operated with the AK-47 and/or AK-47 derivatives.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
what do germans use

e: and swedes

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Hogge Wild posted:

what do germans use

The Germans use the Heckler und Koch G-36. Other European nations do as well, I know about Croatia for sure. No idea about the Swedes.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Ecuador, Ireland, Japan and Paraguay too

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I thought the Brits used the L-85 rifle.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Count Roland posted:

Countries that use M16 rifles. (8 million produced)

What does slate gray represent, in this map?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I thought the Brits used the L-85 rifle.

The maps simply show countries that have used the rifle in question in ay part of their regular military equipment, not what their primary rifle is. The Germans, Poles and Baltic states obviously still have plenty of AK47s and derivatives from cold war stock (obviously for Germany's case, from the eastern part) and post-cold war replacements for units already trained on them.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Hogge Wild posted:

Modified FN FNCs. Adapted for arctic conditions and cold weather poo poo. Before that; Heckler & Koch G3s.

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 23, 2014

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Hedera Helix posted:

What does slate gray represent, in this map?
Former users. Australia, for instance, used some M16s in the Vietnam era but switched to a locally-built Steyr Aug in the late '80s.

Edit: according to Wikipedia the Afghan National Army replaced its M16s with a Polish AK-derivative

Pitch fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Pitch posted:

Former users. Australia, for instance, used some M16s in the Vietnam era but switched to a locally-built Steyr Aug in the late '80s.

And almost immediately regretted that decision as the Steyr Augs magazine are plastic and would, at sub-zero temperatures celsius, crack if hit or dropped.