Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
I think that games can benefit from a wide variety of art, especially if they have broad themes. I think a single style can get people stuck with a certain image or mood, when other takes on the material are just as valid and might click with different people better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Seriously how do you go from "You are an [adjective] [noun] who [verbs]" to something as boring as "+1 to Jump checks"? Why would you loving do that?

:argh: MOON :argh:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MadScientistWorking posted:

I'm not entirely sure if YuGiOh is the worst. Weiss Schwarz was the first time I've ever seen an employee at a local gaming store actively complain about grognards.txt worthy material. Apparently the rules are written with sexual inneudo to the point where its kind of blatant that they did it on purpose.

All I'm gonna say is Climax Phase is a thing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Plague of Hats posted:

Seriously how do you go from "You are an [adjective] [noun] who [verbs]" to something as boring as "+1 to Jump checks"? Why would you loving do that?

:argh: MOON :argh:

...what?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

What, what? My actual complaint or my "I am the Moon" reference?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I remember hearing about Yu-Gi-Oh before it even hit our shores, and the rarity scheme at the time just shocked on a 'you can do that?' level. The difficulty of obtaining certain cards strikes me as villainous; or, at least, an very successful attempt to turn young folk into cardboard fiends.

Even if it were somehow a good game, the way it's marketed and sold is shameful and embarrassing for the industry.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Plague of Hats posted:

What, what? My actual complaint or my "I am the Moon" reference?

I just have no idea what you're referring to. I mean, I know all about being the moon, I just don't get the context here.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I remember hearing about Yu-Gi-Oh before it even hit our shores, and the rarity scheme at the time just shocked on a 'you can do that?' level. The difficulty of obtaining certain cards strikes me as villainous; or, at least, an very successful attempt to turn young folk into cardboard fiends.

Even if it were somehow a good game, the way it's marketed and sold is shameful and embarrassing for the industry.
Aren't there, like 12 different levels of rarity?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Evil Mastermind posted:

I just have no idea what you're referring to. I mean, I know all about being the moon, I just don't get the context here.

I was continuing to complain about Numenera; sorry for not quoting to make it clearer. The core character mechanic is basically "pick an adjective, noun and verb to describe your character. These will give you your core mechanics." And yeah I guess they do, but it's mostly a prescriptive list of boring +1's to stuff that sounds like a skill list even though there's no skill list, except some of them give you telekinesis or whatever, and your "noun" just dumps a bunch of mostly combat-specific boringness on you that looks remarkably like a level progression from D&D3.x. Unless you choose wizardnano, in which case you get the crazy toolbox kind of progression you might expect from LFQW.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Plague of Hats posted:

I was continuing to complain about Numenera; sorry for not quoting to make it clearer. The core character mechanic is basically "pick an adjective, noun and verb to describe your character. These will give you your core mechanics." And yeah I guess they do, but it's mostly a prescriptive list of boring +1's to stuff that sounds like a skill list even though there's no skill list, except some of them give you telekinesis or whatever, and your "noun" just dumps a bunch of mostly combat-specific boringness on you that looks remarkably like a level progression from D&D3.x. Unless you choose wizardnano, in which case you get the crazy toolbox kind of progression you might expect from LFQW.

Ah, gotcha. All I know about Numenera is "3e in spaaaaaaaace", so I'm not really surprised.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

The thing that makes it worth :argh:ing about is that the basic idea sounds like a really fun thing to build on, but all that happened was he bolted as much D&D3 on it as possible.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Froghammer posted:

Aren't there, like 12 different levels of rarity?

Well, let's do a little bit of research-

:barf:

I'm done.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

You mean how there were three cards that literally do nothing that you could only offically get through tournaments, but were also touted as the best, most awesome, super cards ever?

And, yes, I know they eventually remade the cards to actually do something.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

There is a type of common that's called "rare"? That's loving amazing.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'd like my card medium-rare, please? Ha ha, it's a steak joke, don't burn me at a steak for that. Oh wait I made another of those jokes, hee hoo!

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I'd like my card medium-rare, please? Ha ha, it's a steak joke, don't burn me at a steak for that. Oh wait I made another of those jokes, hee hoo!

Well done.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Covok posted:

You mean how there were three cards that literally do nothing that you could only offically get through tournaments, but were also touted as the best, most awesome, super cards ever?

And, yes, I know they eventually remade the cards to actually do something.

Or the cards that were one in 10,000... I mean, whether or not the cards are effective or inconsequential at that point doesn't really matter, because they'll be worth something to collectors. It makes it gaming's equivalent of scratch-off lotto tickets, with similar effects.

Plague of Hats posted:

There is a type of common that's called "rare"? That's loving amazing.

Nope. Maybe you're looking at the "Duel Terminal Rare Parallel Rare" designation, because that's what the lonely "Rare" on that image is an abbreviation for, without irony or in-joke.

Because somebody decided that is a thing that exists, that such is the name it has, and other people took it seriously.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

This made me look up what a Dual Terminal Rare is. It's for an arcade machine that scans your cards for the video game, which is kind of neat I guess, but you don't scan your entire deck so who cares.

It makes me want there to be an arcade machine that you load your deck into, and it scans the entire thing and then selects one at random to display behind a thick sheet of plexiglass as ante. If you win, it prints a ticket that lets you buy a pack of cards at a discount. If you lose, you get to watch it shred your card.

Point a camera at the player, automatically record for sixty seconds whenever someone loses and upload to youtube.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Nope. Maybe you're looking at the "Duel Terminal Rare Parallel Rare" designation, because that's what the lonely "Rare" on that image is an abbreviation for, without irony or in-joke.

Because somebody decided that is a thing that exists, that such is the name it has, and other people took it seriously.

I'm just looking at the top cells of the table, where apparently there's a "category" of Common under which you find "Normal Rare" and "Holofoil Rare." Which might have okay explanations I guess if that's really how it works, but at the very least the person who composed that Wikipedia table is being obtuse as gently caress.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm done.

so there's duel terminal normal parallel rare, duel terminal rare parallel rare, and duel terminal normal rare parallel rare? who comes up with these things?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
It's the first time I've really ever bought games with a lot of bits and bobbles before and, man, are these things hard to keep organized. I get that keeping them all sealed up and not ready for play makes them safer for mass distribution, but why do the boxes for some of these games seem ill-suited for actually housing the drat things?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Covok posted:

It's the first time I've really ever bought games with a lot of bits and bobbles before and, man, are these things hard to keep organized. I get that keeping them all sealed up and not ready for play makes them safer for mass distribution, but why do the boxes for some of these games seem ill-suited for actually housing the drat things?

Prototyping Boardgames is hard and time consuming and expensive, so you CAN order a single copy of your game and then spend a lot of time fiddling and measuring and designing plastic shapes, or you can skip all that, get your game on the shelves two months faster, and no one will give you poo poo because everyone else is also bad at it.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Covok posted:

From reading the updates to Steve Jackson's OGRE kickstarter, getting custom trays manufactured for all the bits is a huge endeavor. I don't blame companies for just including a simple cardboard tray.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Bucnasti posted:

From reading the updates to Steve Jackson's OGRE kickstarter, getting custom trays manufactured for all the bits is a huge endeavor. I don't blame companies for just including a simple cardboard tray.

I guess its the whole economies of scale thing. They must mass produce it a one way so asking for it any differently is costly and requires adjustments to equipment setting. These trays probably comes in a few standardized forms and the machines have standardized configurations to make those forms. Didn't really bother thinking of that way, but it makes sense.

It's good thing nerds love this hobby, though, since they are the only types obsessive enough to fix it and, at the same time, petty feel pride over dumb things helpful enough to put step by step guides to organizing things despite the packaging.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Plague of Hats posted:

I'm just looking at the top cells of the table, where apparently there's a "category" of Common under which you find "Normal Rare" and "Holofoil Rare." Which might have okay explanations I guess if that's really how it works, but at the very least the person who composed that Wikipedia table is being obtuse as gently caress.

Well...

yugioh.wikia.com posted:

Normal Rares (ノーマルレア Nōmaru Rea) are identical to Commons, except they are much harder to find. Unlike other rares, these cards are rare because of this. Comparable to the TCG Short Print and rumoured Super Short Print rarities, Normal Rares only exist in the OCG, thus they are restricted to Japanese cards. They started in Vol.3, back in 1999, and are still being included in current Japanese released sets. The approximate chance of finding one is 1:30.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Plague of Hats posted:

The thing that makes it worth :argh:ing about is that the basic idea sounds like a really fun thing to build on, but all that happened was he bolted as much D&D3 on it as possible.

Well really what did you expect from Cook? He hit lightning with 3e and gosh darn it he's gonna ride it for as long as possible.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Literally The Worst posted:

All I'm gonna say is Climax Phase is a thing.
There was other stuff too because I specifically remember the pointing out multiple instances of it and he specifically say,"I can give it a pass as a translation accident if it happened once but as you can see that isn't the case."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

"Identical to commons, but harder to find" - why does this need an explanation of the meaning of rare?

What do they think rare means?

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I was having a discussion on twitter last night with some people who really enjoy sleeving and sorting game components, and I made an offhanded suggestion that had me curious. Do you think someone could buy something fiddly with lots of pieces, like most anything Fantasy Flight, punch, separate, bag, and sleeve all the bit, then turn a small profit selling it?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Probably not by buying them directly, but offering that as a service maybe.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

How exactly would you turn a profit here? Would the cost of all the bits in a box exceed that of the box itself?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

"Identical to commons, but harder to find" - why does this need an explanation of the meaning of rare?

What do they think rare means?

I believe this just means that, unlike most Yu-Gi-Oh rares, they don't have foil lettering, scannable codes, or some other distinguishing characteristic that makes them obviously stand out as rare.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm done.

You forgot that some cards are released at multiple rarities and that today's Ultra Secret Holo Cuck Rare is tomorrow's Normal.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I believe this just means that, unlike most Yu-Gi-Oh rares, they don't have foil lettering, scannable codes, or some other distinguishing characteristic that makes them obviously stand out as rare.

Bingo. It means the name of the card is shiny but not the art. A former coworker who also worked at TCGPlayer explained it to me one night when we were bored.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Magic's mythic rare is villainous enough for me already.

Of course, I am under the impression that mythic rare probably exists because of Yugioh, so :golfclap:

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

The whole weird rarity thing that Yu-Gi-Oh has isn't a problem in Vanguard: Unit rarity goes Common, Rare, Double Rare, Triple Rare, etc. Or, for visual purposes: C, R, RR, RRR...

There are a couple other rarities, but they apply to special versions of cards that mechanically have the same effect as their lower rarity versions, but the art is more holographic and the flavor text is changed. Otherwise, they're promos.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

There are both Secret Ultra Rare and Ultra Secret Rare.

Is Yu-Gi-Oh some sort of elaborate joke, like Hackmaster?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

No its naming things to sound as cool and awesome as possible from a 10 year old's PoV.

And yeah, organized YGO is pretty lovely a lot of the time. My FLGS has never had too much drama with the MtG group, but they've had to deal with everything from personal/store theft, organized cheating of tournament results (kingmaking for example), and total temper-tantrum rageouts by the local YGO crowd.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Ratoslov posted:

When I see poo poo like this I think to times in my own life where I've had two days worth of design work queued, all due in two hours. Deadlines lead to bizarre design choices.

Or maybe it's just meant to be super cheesy. Or maybe some poor overworked designer proposed it as a "gently caress it, no time for a sane choice" option and somebody else loved how over the top it sounded and gave it the greenlight.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ratoslov posted:

It's the truest representation of capitalism ever committed to flimsy card stock.

My biggest issue with Yu-Gi-Oh is that it has the cheapest production values I've ever seen from a major corporation. This game was designed to maximize profits and whip children into a foil Charizard level frenzy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Ratoslov posted:

Yes. I remember a friend giving me a copy of Shonen Jump as a part of a Christmas gift years ago. It included a copy of this Yu-Gi-Oh card:

Basically, you know that super special card? With dragons or magicians or demon horns and poo poo? That you spent so long setting up? My monster's better.

Needless to say, this card is the reason I never really got into this game.

• Locked thread