Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Humerus posted:

So I just tried to buy a game from Gamefly (for the first time) and it said they needed to call me to verify the purchase. Weird, but whatever. I typed in my phone number and told them to send me a code, then it immediately said verification failed and they would be in contact with me to verify the purchase.

What the gently caress? Is this normal? Should I cancel my order and try over?

It's normal, they did the same thing to me, it's annoying as hell but it's like a two minute phone call for them to verify that you're a real person, and then you never have to deal with it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

Jezus Christ, Five nights at Freddy's is terrifying.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Well Frictional Games let The Chinese Room try to make an Amnesia game. It's got a lot of nice visuals but the developer doesn't have the experience for an Amnesia-type horror game. They're great at atmosphere but when it comes to player interaction they miss the mark. Amusingly if they read Frictional Games' blog on horror game design they'd have avoided a fair amount of the problems. It's strange that both small dev teams got together like they did, and how the game was initially marketed but it's unique in it's own little way.

Look forward to SOMA in 2015 if you want to see Frictional Games' stuff rather than outsourced devs putting their own twist on the style.

Actually, if you read the Gamasutra postmortem it's pretty clear that, while TheChineseRoom weren't the most experienced developers for this type of horror, Frictional totally hosed them over near launch and created a lot of the problems people complain about. The blue fog was a miscommunication, encounter design was completely reworked at the last minute, and TheChineseRoom lost all creative control of their product at a time when they should have been finalizing their vision. It sucks that frictional is still seen as a darling developer despite this.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/218372/postmortem_the_chinese_rooms_.php

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Humble Store Weekend Sale

Book of Unwritten Tales - $4.99
Book of Unwritten Tales: Critter Chronicles - $4.99
Darksiders - $4.99
Darksiders II - $7.49
Gothic 3 - $2.49
Gothic 4 - $4.99
Painkiller Black - $2.49
Red Faction Guerilla - $4.99
Red Faction Armageddon - $4.99
Summoner - $1.24
Supreme Commander Gold - $4.99
The Raven - $6.24
Titan Quest - $4.99

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/nordicweekend

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Hmmmm

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

nice moustache helmet

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This is not a game or software application

Sounds like a pretty good fit for Steam, imo.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
So, Dementropy gifted me with Chess 2. Thanks for that :glomp:. He also asked me to give a little review of it, so I will be doing that in a day or two, but I wanted to share my thoughts after one game, first (of course I won). First impression is that:
  • it looks nice and handles well UI-wise - things are clear and there's no extraneous clutter -,
  • the single player enemy ai feels lacking,
  • there's only the one isometric view of the board,
  • I wish there were a way to call up rules during a match (because of the new styles of play),
  • and the new styles of play seem intriguing.

Presentation-wise, it looks nice. The pieces are different enough to make them out readily - I've had some difficulty on occasion with certain games and their bishops and queens looking too similar from a near-top down view. I do wish you could move the camera around a little because sometimes the tops of your pieces can bleed into other pieces' shapes. It just takes a second for your brain to visually separate the two, but meh, I'd still prefer at least a little wiggle to the camera.

Moving pieces around on the board feels nice, there's feedback on your cursor and very light sounds when you move from square to square and that's actually a nice quality of life thing. There's also a really nice classical music piece playing throughout the game, which is quite relaxing and conducive to playing an effective game.

There are three ways to play - real-time multiplayer, vs Comp AI, and delayed/asynchronous multiplayer (chess by mail, essentially).

Chess 2 features your standard chess ruleset as well as five new style of play - each of those ways has different armies to put into play with some interesting new movesets and rules for each. I'll get into those next time. It's also kinda nuts that you can have one army style while your opponent has another.

One thing it has across them all is this thing called a 'duel'. You collect one point for each enemy you capture (up to six points total in your pool) and if an enemy attempts to capture a piece you can initiate a duel (if your piece is lower in rank that costs a point upfront). The duel system is a point bidding system where you make a hidden bid of 0 to 2 points and the person capturing you does the same. If the initiator of the duel (the player originally being captured) has bet more points, both his AND your piece are removed from play. If the initiator doesn't bet more points, only their piece gets removed. It can lead to interesting ways to sacrifice pieces.

There's a very straightforward tutorial about each style of play, and it wasn't confusing, just...well, there's a lot to the new strategies based off the rules, and it seems quite interesting. I'm looking forward to playing a time or two each of the new styles. Very interesting. I loving love vanilla chess because it is such a simple and graceful set of rules that can take you fuckin' anywhere over a game, but these new styles at least seem unique and interesting in theory even though they're a little more complicated.

The comp AI isn't that impressive on first impression. After a few moves of my vanilla game I decided to put it through its paces and win by attrition to see how the comp AI would react, and unfortunately it didn't really do much - and to my knowledge there's no difficulty slider - in the way of defense or aggression. I'll keep playing to see what's what, there.

Unfortunately, the devs have said

quote:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/314340/discussions/0/34095132077567329/#c34095132078019185
The single player experience is not that great. I'd really recommend on the multiplayer (which, has matchmaking and asynchronous play).
...and that's a goddamned shame. It seems like it'd be fun to play against other people, though. The interface is clean.

So give me a few days and I'll report back with some final thoughts.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 23, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Was this Greenlit? Please tell me that it wasn't, because that would be hilarious.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

Humerus posted:

So I just tried to buy a game from Gamefly (for the first time) and it said they needed to call me to verify the purchase. Weird, but whatever. I typed in my phone number and told them to send me a code, then it immediately said verification failed and they would be in contact with me to verify the purchase.
I made the mistake of purchasing my first game from GameFly on a Friday evening, with the intention of playing it through a rare weekend where I didn't need to work. After about half an hour I received an email to say I needed to contact their support line to verify the purchase. Contacted the support line only to find out it was closed until Monday.

A combination of the way my work shifts worked out that week, plus their support line's remarkably limited hours of operation, meant that there was no suitable window of opportunity for me to call them until about Wednesday or Thursday. They called me a bunch of times and a rather snarky customer service assistant left me a series of messages that I wasn't in a position to return until their support line closed again. I did leave a couple of polite emails pointing out why I wasn't able to return their calls when it was suitable for them and received more snark in return. At this point I decided I couldn't be hosed to play their snarky hoop-jumping game and would rather pay $10 more to get it instantly on Steam. Because their web site had no order cancellation process I replied to an email and requested a cancellation there. Cue: "We'd be happy to discuss your cancellation if you call this number during the (inconvenient) hours below!"

By this point I was annoyed enough to visit their Facebook page, which seemed to be playing host to about a dozen people with exactly the same issue as me, and lodged a complaint there. They cancelled the order and deleted my GameFly account.

So yeah, I'm not likely to be buying anything from them any time soon.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sonance posted:

I made the mistake of purchasing my first game from GameFly on a Friday evening, with the intention of playing it through a rare weekend where I didn't need to work. After about half an hour I received an email to say I needed to contact their support line to verify the purchase. Contacted the support line only to find out it was closed until Monday.

A combination of the way my work shifts worked out that week, plus their support line's remarkably limited hours of operation, meant that there was no suitable window of opportunity for me to call them until about Wednesday or Thursday. They called me a bunch of times and a rather snarky customer service assistant left me a series of messages that I wasn't in a position to return until their support line closed again. I did leave a couple of polite emails pointing out why I wasn't able to return their calls when it was suitable for them and received more snark in return. At this point I decided I couldn't be hosed to play their snarky hoop-jumping game and would rather pay $10 more to get it instantly on Steam. Because their web site had no order cancellation process I replied to an email and requested a cancellation there. Cue: "We'd be happy to discuss your cancellation if you call this number during the (inconvenient) hours below!"

By this point I was annoyed enough to visit their Facebook page, which seemed to be playing host to about a dozen people with exactly the same issue as me, and lodged a complaint there. They cancelled the order and deleted my GameFly account.

So yeah, I'm not likely to be buying anything from them any time soon.

Wow that's dumb. GameFly actually used to have a fairly decent client, much like Steam. I actually thought it was pretty good at least as a storefront and download manager but apparently I was the only one because they changed to some even shittier tiny download manager only. As a bonus it didn't even list all the games I had bought off of them that were displayed in the previous client (luckily they were all games where I got a code for another client). I guess they've gotten rid of that now too.

GameStop got rid of their client as well after spending who knows how much buying it from Stardock. Even more people weren't a fan of that but I thought it was more convenient to open a program on my desktop and immediately be taken to the storefront and a list of the games I've bought there rather than doing in in a web browser.

Neither of these clients were outstanding pieces of programming or anything but at least they worked at a basic level. I can only imagine they got rid of them because they didn't immediately get a Steam-level of user base then just threw up their arms in frustration instead of putting in the work to improve them to get those users.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
That's super weird because I purchased LoS 2 earlier from Gamefly and it was a super simple purchase. No phonecalls or waiting; so I'm not sure what you guys are dealing with.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
Until recently the only time I logged into Gamefly was right after the D2D transition to see that yes most of my games were gone.

I tried logging in again a month ago to take advantage of some sale and my account was banned. I shot them an email asking why and they unbanned it without explanation.

I did not buy from them in the end.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Yeah, a lot of people have problems setting up accounts for no known reason.

I wanted to buy my friend a game for his birthday & went through gamefly because they were having a sale and steam was full price. I bought it that morning, figuring it'd send me an instant download code that I could pass on to him, like everywhere else on the internet. Three (maybe four?) days and some customer support requests later they finally called me and unlocked the loving thing. It would've been annoying enough if I'd bought it for myself, but I got to look like an rear end telling my friend "um, right, about your b-day present..." Luckily no one else got the same thing for him, since it wasn't in his owned games library.

apparently they credited my account 5bux but I forgot about it until now because there's no excuse for having to deal with that level of nonsense and I decided to never buy anything from them again.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Yeah I guess a couple hours later they tried to call me, but I was running around town and somehow my cell phone lost reception until I turned it off and back on around 5:30-which of course was too late for me to call them. Somehow though, they said they could call me as late as 7 PM, and to email them when I want them to call...so we'll see. The email also said my order would be canceled if they don't hear from me in one business day, so :shrug:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I don't care if Burial At Sea is bad, I'm just marvelling at the visual design of Rapture and Paris :allears:

e: And honestly it hasn't been bad, it's just a fun bioshock romp

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 23, 2014

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

This looks pretty interesting to me, except for the bidding/duel mechanic. I hate that style of mechanic.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Brackhar posted:

This looks pretty interesting to me, except for the bidding/duel mechanic. I hate that style of mechanic.

If you don't let your opponent kill too many of you they'll only be able to do it once or twice.

But yeah, it'd be nice to be able to turn it off, or just agree with your chess partner to not use them. Nothing to do about the AI using it, though. :shrug:

It's like a mini-game of poker - you can try to bluff the capture and get them to waste points to protect their piece that's killing you. It's not a bad little feature. It doesn't get used often.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 23, 2014

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Quest For Glory II posted:

I don't care if Burial At Sea is bad, I'm just marvelling at the visual design of Rapture and Paris :allears:

e: And honestly it hasn't been bad, it's just a fun bioshock romp

I really loving loved it until the second half of the DLC. Then it's all forced stealth poo poo. It made me really wish for a telltale-style game where you're a hard boiled detective in rapture.

e: L.A. Noire style game, actually.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Has anyone else picked up Hand of Fate? I've seen a few videos of it and it looks SO good. But I don't have any money right now.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

Humble Store Weekend Sale

Book of Unwritten Tales - $4.99
Book of Unwritten Tales: Critter Chronicles - $4.99
Darksiders - $4.99
Darksiders II - $7.49
Gothic 3 - $2.49
Gothic 4 - $4.99
Painkiller Black - $2.49
Red Faction Guerilla - $4.99
Red Faction Armageddon - $4.99
Summoner - $1.24
Supreme Commander Gold - $4.99
The Raven - $6.24
Titan Quest - $4.99

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/nordicweekend

Which red faction do I need to buy I like making things go boom.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Guerilla

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

tater_salad posted:

Which red faction do I need to buy I like making things go boom.

Guerrilla

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Do I need to give a poo poo about the story or anything or jump in and start being a space rear end in a top hat?

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

BigRed0427 posted:

Has anyone else picked up Hand of Fate? I've seen a few videos of it and it looks SO good. But I don't have any money right now.
It's definitely good but it's got some issues that make it frustrating to play.

Combat is Arkham Asylum style except you need to have the right equipment to counter. But it's much less fluid than AA's and it's often hard to tell whether you can counter or not. It's especially bad later on when even the basic enemies have (counterable) ranged attacks, particularly since health is such a limited resource.

The load times for some of the scenes are really bad. It's especially noticeable for the shops, where it takes a while to load the area around the shop even though all you actually need is the shop UI.

Also some scenes just kinda kill the performance of the game and AA style combat is just not possible on single digit FPS.

It's also just not that varied since there aren't really that many enemy types in the game, but I've gotten the asking price worth of fun out of it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

tater_salad posted:

Do I need to give a poo poo about the story or anything or jump in and start being a space rear end in a top hat?

Nah, the story is pretty light and every RF game is somewhat stand alone.

The whole setup to Guerrilla: Mars has been colonized (mostly by miners) and is in the early stages of terraforming. Unfortunately the guys actually running everything are totalitarian assholes.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

I have picked up Hands of Fate, and in the Humble Bundle, I doubt you'll get it for less money any time before the next big sale. The $15 that I spent on it was completely worth it, in my opinion. Early Access games freak me out, but the game seems to be extremely playable with some of the animations of the dealer (which doesn't impact the game) and some of the music missing, which, to me, isn't that big a deal. There's no tutorial, but I had absolutely no problem figuring it out, and the first few levels are so easy, I almost doubted the game, but after the first few levels the difficulty curve gently rises, and now it's one of my favorite games of all time. The best way I can describe it is this game is a roguelite meets Knights of Pen and Paper meets god of war, and it's a game I didn't know I've truly been longing for. I whole-heartedly recommend it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So I bought Lichdom Battlemage, and while I love the voice acting the opening is aggressively awful visually. I'm fine with them avoiding 3D scenes and 2D images done well can be really nice, but holy poo poo the 2D scenes in the opening are literally sketches and are terrible. Please tell me there are plans to change this.

The rest is pretty awesome as far as I see though.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Iron Rose posted:

So I bought Lichdom Battlemage, and while I love the voice acting the opening is aggressively awful visually. I'm fine with them avoiding 3D scenes and 2D images done well can be really nice, but holy poo poo the 2D scenes in the opening are literally sketches and are terrible. Please tell me there are plans to change this.

The rest is pretty awesome as far as I see though.

You're playing an alpha (or a beta, Idk anymore,) they haven't rendered the cutscenes yet.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Turtlicious posted:

You're playing an alpha (or a beta, Idk anymore,) they haven't rendered the cutscenes yet.

True! But I was under the impression full release was in a few days.

e: It's fine though. I love the game and it's a ton of fun so far, not to mention it's beautiful. I just thought i'd mention that.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 23, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

YOURFRIEND posted:

I really loving loved it until the second half of the DLC. Then it's all forced stealth poo poo. It made me really wish for a telltale-style game where you're a hard boiled detective in rapture.
I'm treating the second half like Dishonored set in Bioshock world. Blink is crazy overpowered in Dishonored and the invisible plasmid is crazy overpowered once you get the upgrades for it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
So I guess nobody has anything to say about that Invisible Inc. game. The videos on the store page are really tempting me, I may take the plunge.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

WarLocke posted:

So I guess nobody has anything to say about that Invisible Inc. game. The videos on the store page are really tempting me, I may take the plunge.

It's fairly solid mechanic wise (though you can tell some stuff is probably going to still be changed) but not great on playable content yet.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Anyone have experience troubleshooting Steam in-home streaming? I'm trying to stream AI War: Fleet Command from my PC to my laptop, and all I get is a grey screen. Streaming normally works for me - I've been able to play X:Com, Banner Saga, Rome 2, and a bunch of other games with only occasional problems with screen resolutions. But AI War isn't cooperating, whether I run it fullscreen, in a window, or at the native resolution on my laptop.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Mokinokaro posted:

Nah, the story is pretty light and every RF game is somewhat stand alone.

The whole setup to Guerrilla: Mars has been colonized (mostly by miners) and is in the early stages of terraforming. Unfortunately the guys actually running everything are totalitarian assholes.

Has anyone else played this with a 360 controller? The normal game play is fine but the map scrolls super fast. And the text is too small for playing on the couch

Are there any mods to make it a bit more big picture friendly?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
How's Kinetic Void? I know it's a goon project and I'm mostly wondering if it will scratch the Homeworld itch.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

God drat, I just bought Black Flag for $17 and stopped playing after 6 hours straight, I haven't done a marathon like that in years.
What a god damned fun game and it's beautiful to boot.

Sailing is pretty chill and naval combat is simple but works really well.

I haven't actually gotten very far into the game since I think I only got the ship like 4 hours in?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Deakul posted:

God drat, I just bought Black Flag for $17 and stopped playing after 6 hours straight, I haven't done a marathon like that in years.
What a god damned fun game and it's beautiful to boot.

Sailing is pretty chill and naval combat is simple but works really well.

I haven't actually gotten very far into the game since I think I only got the ship like 4 hours in?

I really hope there's some people at Ubisoft dedicated to putting the naval combat from AC3/4 into its own really fleshed out game. It's some of the most fun I've had in a video game to date. It would definitely need some more aspects to be the core focus for an entire game but everything from the sound to the controls works so incredibly well. The sections with heavy storms in AC3 almost made me forget how bland the rest of that game was.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kibayasu posted:

I really hope there's some people at Ubisoft dedicated to putting the naval combat from AC3/4 into its own really fleshed out game. It's some of the most fun I've had in a video game to date. It would definitely need some more aspects to be the core focus for an entire game but everything from the sound to the controls works so incredibly well. The sections with heavy storms in AC3 almost made me forget how bland the rest of that game was.

Sounds like AC: Rogue might be the closest we get (and it's currently only coming out for consoles, but we know an HD port will come to PC) for a while.

• Locked thread