Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

Do people even still listen to wimpy Gothenburg-style melodeath? Can that trend just go away?

I liked the song so yeah I guess some of us still exist :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

You have impressed FFCiv with your turn time!
They turn a blind eye to the turn times of other civilizations, and your Influence over them has increased by 40.
All metal is beautiful.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Do people even still listen to wimpy Gothenburg-style melodeath? Can that trend just go away?

Why on earth do you care

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Sorry for sharing my metal opinions in a metal discussion topic.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe next time express your opinion in a way that doesn't insult everyone that disagrees with you.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Hey guys I don't like power metal. That's my opinion. Thanks for reading hope you enjoyed.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

nerve posted:

Hey guys I don't like power metal. That's my opinion. Thanks for reading hope you enjoyed.

Please don't imply that my airbrushed minivan with Blind Guardian rocking out with Gandalf is in fact, "Nerdy Garbage for Geeks and Dweebs."

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Oh hey I like power metal alot. K thanks :byewhore:

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

I knew it was a long shot and I knew I shouldn't have given Blake money, but I did. I've been silently hoping it shows up in the mail so I could take pictures and gloat, but that's definitely not going to happen.

It was only 20 dollars, oh well.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
Power metal is cool if you're listening to it while playing D&D.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Speaking of power metal. Dragonforce just released a new album.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

albany academy posted:

This is a big thread.

Has anyone listened to Battle Ruins or Stone Dagger?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPOUftahzFk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzx6Qkb-gaY

yes, Brendan Radigan is also in Mind Eraser, Rival Mob, Magic Circle, and Torture Chain (probably more bands too). Ridiculously prolific.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I listened to a Lost Horizon album today and it was pretty cool. I don't normally like power metal at all other than Blind Guardian but I've been getting into the origins of the genre (Helloween, Running Wild, etc.) lately.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
while we're being accepting of metal in all its many colours:

I am really digging these albums atm and would love to find similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdgLI-GC4p8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0mLLe_WtE8

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Oldies still goldies, son.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmcC9aJkBlw

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
By far the ugliest t-shirt I own.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Defiant Sally posted:

Speaking of power metal. Dragonforce just released a new album.

With a decent cover of Ring of Fire.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:

YES
God, this poo poo defined my teenage years. Long live Jester Race.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

It's ok to talk about power metal if it's 80s US power metal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8WFl4Mo1yM

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
What subgenre would you guys place Ghost under? Black metal? Doom metal? Both?

And on that note, do any of you know of any bands that sound similar but don't do this dumb Satan gimmick?

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

I listened to a Lost Horizon album today and it was pretty cool. I don't normally like power metal at all other than Blind Guardian but I've been getting into the origins of the genre (Helloween, Running Wild, etc.) lately.

You need to listen to Hibria's first 2 albums and Pharaoh's discog in that case. The more heavy/speed influenced side of power metal will be your poo poo if you like Lost Horizon and BG. Lost Horizon are, like, my favorite (non-extreme) metal band ever, partially because I can't really find much stuff like them at all.

I've personally been discovering that I can't stop listening to Reckoning Night. And yet almost nothing else from Sonata's discography is remotely enjoyable. :raise:

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Noctis Horrendae posted:

And on that note, do any of you know of any bands that sound similar but don't do this dumb Satan gimmick?

I put them in the "Wank" subgenre.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Ghost aren't good enough at their instruments to be considered wank though

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I'd definitely say Ghost is black metal. Maybe leaning towards black/death.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Hard Rock.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

NarkyBark posted:

Hard Rock.

Some of their stuff does sound a bit too pop-like to be considered metal. Is "Ironic Satanic pop-punk rock" a genre?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gamma Nerd posted:

You need to listen to Hibria's first 2 albums and Pharaoh's discog in that case. The more heavy/speed influenced side of power metal will be your poo poo if you like Lost Horizon and BG. Lost Horizon are, like, my favorite (non-extreme) metal band ever, partially because I can't really find much stuff like them at all.

I've personally been discovering that I can't stop listening to Reckoning Night. And yet almost nothing else from Sonata's discography is remotely enjoyable. :raise:

Yeah that's the kind of stuff I've been getting interested in. I never did get around to Hibria even when I was getting into metal and hadn't grown off most PM, but the Defying the Rules album art is still one of my favorite things in the world.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
Speaking of looking for more music like specific bands, is there anyone else who sounds remotely like Anata? I've been listening to The Conductor's Departure again after forgetting about it for a few years, and I need more. They don't seem to fit with any other melodic/technical death metal band.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIqPbZ20EXI

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Ghost's sin is winking way too hard at the audience IMO. Try out Devil's Blood (despite the name) or Purson.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 23, 2014

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Gamma Nerd posted:

Agreed, add hibria s new album to that list too.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Dyscrasia posted:

Agreed, add hibria s new album to that list too.

Ever since they lost Marco Panichi I've lost interest in them :sigh: His basswork is totally unreal.

Optimum Gulps posted:

Speaking of looking for more music like specific bands, is there anyone else who sounds remotely like Anata? I've been listening to The Conductor's Departure again after forgetting about it for a few years, and I need more. They don't seem to fit with any other melodic/technical death metal band.

They have a really cool dose of classical influence and a unique melodic flair, I like them too. I'm racking my brains trying to think up something really similar, though. Maybe Cromm Cruac, Martyr, or Gory Blister? Some of the stuff on Spawn of Possession's latest album reminds me of them too, specifically Apparition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHDipFuA6Ow

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Culture Club. Now go away.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
Are all the members still anonymous or whatever?

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

To Battle posted:

Yeah. Papa Emeritus II sounds a lot like Michale (sp?) from the Misfits, though. Might be the same person/related, according to rumour.

Vordhosbn
Aug 7, 2008

To Battle posted:

Papa Emeritus II has been identified as Tobias Forge, who was vocalist for the bands Repugnant and Subvision. He has also collaborated with experimental rock group Magna Carta Cartel (more info here). After listening to this Magna Carta Cartel performance, I'm pretty convinced it's the same guy.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Ghost's sin is winking way too hard at the audience IMO. Try out Devil's Blood (despite the name) or Purson.

Thank you for sharing these! Love that retro occult rock sound.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Vordhosbn posted:

Papa Emeritus II has been identified as Tobias Forge, who was vocalist for the bands Repugnant and Subvision. He has also collaborated with experimental rock group Magna Carta Cartel (more info here). After listening to this Magna Carta Cartel performance, I'm pretty convinced it's the same guy.

Thank you for sharing these! Love that retro occult rock sound.

He sounds so much like Micale, at least in the covers Waiting for the Night and The Marionette. The resemblance is uncanny. Thanks for the info, though.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
If I wanted to listen to a band aping Mercyful Fate I would take In Solitude over Ghost any day of the week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bcBeKGM0YA

On the topic of power metal, you can't go wrong with Jag Panzer. They actually have riffs and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjfiHbf_POs

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
They pretty much did a live version of That Metal Show at the Whisky in Hollywood tonight. Doug Pinnick and John 5 was there.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
NEW DEAFHEAVEN SINGLE.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vordhosbn
Aug 7, 2008

MrBling posted:

If I wanted to listen to a band aping Mercyful Fate I would take In Solitude over Ghost any day of the week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bcBeKGM0YA

On the topic of power metal, you can't go wrong with Jag Panzer. They actually have riffs and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjfiHbf_POs

Totally agree. Ghost is a fun band with catchy tunes and I do really enjoy their music, but In Solitude is undoubtedly superior all around. Also, I'm feeling like Ghost's shtick is getting a little played out. They now have a special "unmasked" Papa costume that the singer has worn for camera interviews, still staying in character with a faux Italian accent.

Also have to agree on the Jag Panzer suggestion. Good stuff.