Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Covok posted:

What makes the physical cards so bad? Anime art or just bad layout?

The layout's awful. Let me see if I can find a picture and I'll explain better.

edit Here we go:

Look at all those symbols that mean absolutely nothing without some sort of knowledge of the game. They make the card look incredibly busy and even as someone who plays other card games I can't even guess at what this card does because I can't compare it to the (for example) Magic analog, or use the name of the ability to help me understand what it does. It's really busy and distracts from the art and doens't look very good.

Which leads into problem number two, which is that there's effectively no break between the art and the next. Most card games will have that delineation to help you process it better, here it's all just one clusterfuck. The cards being full art means you not only have these little images all over the place, but they're mixing in with art and ughhhhhhh

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dwarf74 posted:

I love sword & planet poo poo, but hate the whole idea of Gor. Is there anything innovative about the setting, beyond misogyny?
As far as I understand, not in the least. The only thing that makes it stand out is the misogyny.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Apparently there are giant riding birds.

That's probably not unique, though.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

edit Here we go:

Look at all those symbols that mean absolutely nothing without some sort of knowledge of the game. They make the card look incredibly busy and even as someone who plays other card games I can't even guess at what this card does because I can't compare it to the (for example) Magic analog, or use the name of the ability to help me understand what it does. It's really busy and distracts from the art and doens't look very good.

Which leads into problem number two, which is that there's effectively no break between the art and the next. Most card games will have that delineation to help you process it better, here it's all just one clusterfuck. The cards being full art means you not only have these little images all over the place, but they're mixing in with art and ughhhhhhh

Also it seems to suffer the same problem yu-gi-oh has where everything should honestly have about 2 less zeroes.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

edit Here we go:

They also misspelled "apocalypse" which is not a super-great indicator of quality.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Tzarnal posted:

Also it seems to suffer the same problem yu-gi-oh has where everything should honestly have about 2 less zeroes.

I heard someone once say, no idea if it's true, that they did that so they could use decimals without using decimals.

edit Here we go:

Yeah, I see what you mean. It's all pretty clustered. That said, I do believe icons are a good way to memorize things. Does the official playmat have a quick reference of the icon's meaning on it?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tzarnal posted:

I can understand that though, it makes everything seem that much bigger and cooler. I don't agree with it, but I get it. My biggest problem with Vanguard is the layout.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

BrainParasite posted:

Both men and women can end up HHUUUUUUUAAAAAAGHHH Goreans, in their simplistic fashion, often contend, categorically, that man is naturally free and woman is naturally slave. But even for them the issues are far more complex than these simple formulations would suggest. For example, there is no higher person, nor one more respected, than the Gorean free woman. Goreans do believe, however, that every woman has a natural master or set of masters, with respect to whom she could not help but be a complete and passionate slave girl. These men occur in her dreams and fantasies. She lives in terror that she might meet one in real life.

When creepy fantasies and role-playing games collide, Zak S. wins.

And if you hate this game, you're a feminist-hating sex-negative loser virgin who's incapable of imagining a world outside of your prudish room in your parent's moral abode.

Besides, where's the proof that playing these kinds of games promotes negative attitudes towards women? It's all just a fantasy, dude :smuggo:

Please don't take this seriously, I'm just parodying that shitlord.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Covok posted:

Yeah, I see what you mean. It's all pretty clustered. That said, I do believe icons are a good way to memorize things. Does the official playmat have a quick reference of the icon's meaning on it?

I want to say that it does. I looked at a starter rulebook once for ten minutes, but it's been six months, easily. I just think it's a poor decision because you can't look at this card and translate it into familiar terms from other card games. For example, YGO, where I can go "Oh so basically when this dude hits the graveyard he sacs three guys and I put two onto the field from my yard" even though it's not phrased that way because there's enough commonality between the phrasing and Magic's rules. It's...not a barrier to entry, but it's definitely a thing that makes the game not as appealing as it cuold be to someone who just happens to see it.

Now, who wants to hear my thoughts on resource systems in TCGs??????

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Now, who wants to hear my thoughts on resource systems in TCGs??????

Me.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hearthstone's can eat my taint. Magic is great. WoW TCG was the best. Kaijudo/Duel Masters runner up. YGO is poorer for not having one.

(I like them to require either luck or skill (ideally a mix of both, leaning a bit more towards skill just because of how I play Magic more often than not), and I think WoW TCG's balancing act of "should I play this card as a resource or should I wait to see if I can play it next turn" is nifty as poo poo. Hearthstone does neither. Hearthstone can suckle my nuts.)

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 22, 2014

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Hearthstone is kind of a terrible game in general, though. It's the most boring part of magic (comparing creature numbers to other creature numbers), exacerbated by the fact that to balance permanent damage, you get a bajillion creatures to play.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Hearthstone's can eat my taint. Magic is great. WoW TCG was the best. Kaijudo/Duel Masters runner up. YGO is poorer for not having one.

(I like them to require either luck or skill (ideally a mix of both, leaning a bit more towards skill just because of how I play Magic more often than not), and I think WoW TCG's balancing act of "should I play this card as a resource or should I wait to see if I can play it next turn" is nifty as poo poo. Hearthstone does neither. Hearthstone can suckle my nuts.)

What do you think of Mojang's Scrolls?

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

PeterWeller posted:

Umm, excuse me. That is a life style. :colbert:

A lifestyle that's fallen on pretty hard times if its options now are seeking greater recognition from the gamer culture.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

18 Character Limit posted:

A lifestyle that's fallen on pretty hard times if its options now are seeking greater recognition from the gamer culture.

The Second Life contingent just isn't what it used to be.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Asymmetrikon posted:

Hearthstone is kind of a terrible game in general, though. It's the most boring part of magic (comparing creature numbers to other creature numbers), exacerbated by the fact that to balance permanent damage, you get a bajillion creatures to play.

Yeah they tok it in a really boring direction, and I'm someone who gets off on running duds into dudes. That they then removed any variance from the game by making it so you're always on-curve makes it even worse. I was hoping expansions would make it better but then you have to pay to play and it's balls hard and the grinding idea in general is terrible and Nope.

Covok posted:

What do you think of Mojang's Scrolls?

Never heard of it. Tell me about it?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I'm not familiar with Hearthstone at all, but my ideal system is s

Cool. I'm not at all familiar with Hearthstone, or Duel Masters, but I agree with the rest of this.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

What about the Pokemon TCG.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

18 Character Limit posted:

It's only for the truly discerning neckbeard.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

PeterWeller posted:

It's only for the truly discerning neckbeard.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Never heard of it. Tell me about it?

Scrolls is a digital only, collectible card game created by Mojang, the creators of Minecraft.

There are currently 4 main resources (Growth, Energy, Decay, Order) and 1 pseudo resource (Wild) to make multiresource decks more viable.

Every turn, you may discard one card from your hand to either a) increase your max resource of 1 type by 1 or b) draw two more cards. The type of resource gained by discarded cards depends on the card you discard. You discard a card that costs Growth, you increase your max growth per turn by 1. At the beginning of every turn, you regain your current max of every resource you have discard for. In other words, if you start a turn with 3 Growth resources and discard a growth card for 1 more resource, you get 1 more resource (4) that turn and next turn your start with 4 Growth resources to spend. Every card costs a number of 1 type of resource. So a card may cost 3 Energy to use. Once you pay the cost of a card, you lose that much of the resource for the rest of your turn. If you had 3 Growth and you played a card costing 1 Growth, you have 2 Growth left to spend this turn. You can use as many cards as you like on a turn as long as you can pay the resource cost.

They just added in Wild, a new pseudo resource to make multiresource decks more viable. Every turn, you can instead discard a card of any resource type to get 1 more Wild resource per turn. However, you can only get as many Wild resources as your current lowest resource. In other words, if you have 2 Growth and 1 Energy, you can only have a max of 1 Wild. You can spend Wild to supplement the cost of any other resource. Sacrificing for 6 resources (2 Growth, 2 Energy, 2 Wild) lets you play scrolls of either resource costing up to 4.

I won't lie, I'm really bad at explaining things so...yeah.

If I can just say, the game is still rough around the edges, it is still being worked on, but I like it.

Covok fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 22, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

everythingWasBees posted:

What about the Pokemon TCG.

Haven't played it. The fact that they don't bundle energy into packs is really stupid though.

Covok posted:

Scrolls is a digital only, collectible card game created by Mojang, the creators of Minecraft. ...
If I can just say, the game is still rough around the edges

So's Minecraft. Giving this one a miss.

Covok
May 27, 2013

So's Minecraft. Giving this one a miss.

Well, the game is still in playtest. It's just an open one.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

One game I also had fun with was the old Marvel Trading Card Game for DS and PSP, which was based on the VS System; you also play your card as resources (one per turn) and it offers some nice mechanics like abilities and equipment, plus the appeal of using your favorite comic characters.

I also played a bit of Scrolls but it didn't really grab me, though I'm not quite sure why; perhaps because it reminds both of a card and a tactics game and doesn't do either of them very well.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Ratoslov posted:

There are both Secret Ultra Rare and Ultra Secret Rare.

Is Yu-Gi-Oh some sort of elaborate joke, like Hackmaster?

Well, it is a game designed to make the situations that occur in the comic strip possible, and it was designed after the comic strip had been going for a while...

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Glazius posted:

Well, it is a game designed to make the situations that occur in the comic strip possible, and it was designed after the comic strip had been going for a while...

You keep using that word "designed" and I don't know why.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

LongDarkNight posted:

Stretch goal.

grossssss

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

edit Here we go:

I can understand that. While I like most of the layout on the top, the bottom has waaay too small text. It makes it hard to play with a friend of mine who's legally blind.

That being said, it's nice that all the cards look different from each other. It's pretty easy, once you get used to each card's appearence, to keep track of what they do.

As for the Yu-Gi-Oh power levels, Vanguard doesn't actually have any boosts below the thousands-digit (at least as far as I know). When I play, I tend to just drop the zeros as a result.

Is there some thing with the Japanese and thousand based numbers? Does it just sound cool?

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Tulul posted:

They also misspelled "apocalypse" which is not a super-great indicator of quality.
"Dragonic" isn't a word either.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It totally should be though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TheSoundNinja posted:

I can understand that. While I like most of the layout on the top, the bottom has waaay too small text. It makes it hard to play with a friend of mine who's legally blind.

That being said, it's nice that all the cards look different from each other. It's pretty easy, once you get used to each card's appearence, to keep track of what they do.

As for the Yu-Gi-Oh power levels, Vanguard doesn't actually have any boosts below the thousands-digit (at least as far as I know). When I play, I tend to just drop the zeros as a result.

Is there some thing with the Japanese and thousand based numbers? Does it just sound cool?

It sounds cooler.

As far as the layout goes, I wouldn't mind the lack of a frame or border if they blocked off the text on its own and didn't put it on a bad transparent overlay on top of the actual art. It's really just that one block where the card-specific stuff goes that I have a problem with (besides the multitude of symbols).

I spent two years reading about and selling card games. This is all I have left.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kai Tave posted:

It totally should be though.
We already have "Draconic".

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Zereth posted:

It's because in this setting, "Draconic" applies to Draculas, so you need a different adjective for dragons.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zereth posted:

Look man, I don't know what to tell you, "Dragonic" is a rad as hell word and more things should use it.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Rockopolis posted:

It's because in this setting, "Draconic" applies to Draculas, so you need a different adjective for dragons.

That's uh...that's one hell of an avatar ya got there, son.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Since Gen Con has come and gone, what new games are people interested in?

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I hear Slap 45 is loving incredible.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

LuiCypher posted:

You can't do the hotel dance a year in advance - the future dates of GenCon are already blacked out. You have to go through the housing portal, which is the rough equivalent of internet WWI. Everybody gets up out of the trench at precisely 12:00pm when hotel reservations open, and only a lucky few manage to make it through the system with a hotel room next to the con for the entire duration of the con.

Everyone else is mercilessly gunned down by the system. I know I was in the process of reserving something downtown when the system literally booted me and forced me to wait in line again.

My recommendation? Get to know someone who lives in Indianapolis or Airbnb it a year in advance if you don't want to go through the portal [read: you don't want to go through the portal].
Though it certainly seems that things are getting more and more World War I for housing (a delightful metaphor indeed), it has been very slow in the implementation. I only went to the first year in Indianapolis last-minute and was on the outskirts of town, and vowed to never have to deal with that again, so I have been booking in Septemberish for the next year since then. It has been pretty reliable until 2012, and I thought that was because of MotoGP overlapping the same weekend--but for 2014 MotoGP was not the same weekend and I still ended up paying like $400/night for my emergency reservation.

That said, when I booked for next year (July 30! Remember!) I got the Conrad for under $300/night which felt about like how it was five years ago, but I did notice nearly every downtown Hilton-brand hotel was indeed already "unavailable" so yeah it seems like every year one or two more nearby hotels get tossed into the "do not let anyone book even a year out" bucket. My emergency system will fall apart someday :(

dwarf74 posted:

Which ended with him co-winning a copy of Ptolus
Hey nice; my construction worker friend who said he was going to win that book or "die trying" was so disappointed that you had to win a lottery just to get a chance that we left and never actually knew who won. Those dudes both look about like you would expect, "burliest possible nerd"-type.

Wow, I need to find an actual smiley here just to demonstrate how my face has been locked since I started reading this:

:geno:

There we go.

I was talking to people at Gen-Con about Gor because somebody put a special misogyny bundle of every published Gor novel into the Auction, and I think my favorite thing about the kind of people who seem into this is that I cannot imagine many of them actually have the follow-through or even the, like, stamina to actually be good dominants in real life. Yes, 350 pound 60-year-old man, I am sure that we should all live according to Gor rules; now, humor me, just TRY to restrain your mate.

Maybe that is why they like this stuff, though, because they want to be into this in real life but hate how the woman usually actually expects to enjoy herself.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Quarex posted:

Hey nice; my construction worker friend who said he was going to win that book or "die trying" was so disappointed that you had to win a lottery just to get a chance that we left and never actually knew who won. Those dudes both look about like you would expect, "burliest possible nerd"-type.

What were they doing? Just trying to hold the box out for as long as they could?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Cassa posted:

What were they doing? Just trying to hold the box out for as long as they could?

That's not a box. That's a book.

• Locked thread