Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Until you grow up and cut ties with your mother.

Look on the bright side...

... There are far worse parents out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Non Sequitur

:rolleyes:

Heavenly Nostrils

9 Chickweed Lane 8/23/2003

God, maybe next week will be better.

Zits

Kevin & Kell

"Your mother" is a bit harsh, there, Rudy you little poo poo.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I know Holbrook is a nerd but is the barcode actually valid and if so what does it mean?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Hel posted:

I know Holbrook is a nerd but is the barcode actually valid and if so what does it mean?

I would be extremely surprised if you could get any sort of valid barcode from just 11 vertical lines.

Edit: Maybe a 2-digit number, barcodes are designed to be read forward and backward, with 'backward' characters having a different bar than forward (so a backward 5 is different than just mirroring 5)

E2 Plus a 'check' digit, where you add all the numbers together so the reader knows it has read right

So the number '123' would have bars for 1,2,3,b3,b2,b1,6. Most characters are multiple bars (like morse code) as well.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 23, 2014

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Heavenly Nostrils

One of the first webcomics I got into when I was 14 or so was Simpson's webcomic, Ozy and Millie. To the point where I own the first 5 book collections, and I believe the strip ran for 7 collections. Lately I've been wondering how it holds up today, and since Heavenly Nostrils seems to be so well received I figured I'd post it here.

It starts January 1st, 1998, and the earliest strips are probably going to feel more Kevin and Kell than Calvin and Hobbes.

The comic is hosted on GoComics but I'm too lazy to go through and save them one at a time, and also start in the middle of wherever they are in the list.

Fortunately this old mirror site of the webcomic offers zips downloads of the strip by year so I just have to update some image numbers. 5 a day sounds reasonable.

Ozy and Millie

The first 2 years are this much more crude style. The strip eventually goes on hiatus and comes back looking more like this:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Dr. Dos posted:

One of the first webcomics I got into when I was 14 or so was Simpson's webcomic, Ozy and Millie. To the point where I own the first 5 book collections, and I believe the strip ran for 7 collections. Lately I've been wondering how it holds up today, and since Heavenly Nostrils seems to be so well received I figured I'd post it here.

It starts January 1st, 1998, and the earliest strips are probably going to feel more Kevin and Kell than Calvin and Hobbes.

The comic is hosted on GoComics but I'm too lazy to go through and save them one at a time, and also start in the middle of wherever they are in the list.

Fortunately this old mirror site of the webcomic offers zips downloads of the strip by year so I just have to update some image numbers. 5 a day sounds reasonable.

Ozy and Millie

The first 2 years are this much more crude style. The strip eventually goes on hiatus and comes back looking more like this:

Oh good, I'd almost forgot about Simpson's shaving fetish, now we get to see it all over again.

Cul-de-sac

Heathcliff is kinda lame today.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

don Jaime posted:

Can Jedis turn their hands completely backwards?
Some can

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

That's all?

Classic Prince Valiant

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Prince Valiant is metal as hell.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

That's all?

For The Ghost Who Doesn't Believe in Due Process!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Guy Haakon has to have the best castle in the world if Prince loving Valiant can't think of a clever way to approach it. We got to be at least talking razor wire and machine guns here. Possibly a nuke.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

DoubleDonut posted:

For The Ghost Who Doesn't Believe in Due Process!

Obama still should have decked him through the bars or something.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
So what was the point of this whole phantom subarc?

President: tell me where the Python is!

Phantom: I could just tell you but tomorrow is his weekly beat down wanna tag along?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Lapinlahden Linnut: The PR Gig

Espoo is a part of Helsinki metropolitan region known for its concentration of many corporate HQ's. Nokia was running into difficulties around 2011 which is when the corporation hired a former Microsoft boss as their CEO. What followed was that Nokia got rid of their mobile phone business. In hindsight perhaps Timo Eränkö would have been the better choice...

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

That's all?

jesus, it's really been five years since that?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Hey, dickweeds. You were just bitching that you weren't sure how to decorate the place. She's trying to help you. And we're still expected to buy that Tiff is the bitchy one.

Apartment 3-G

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

:catstare:

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Doesn't care who gets shot, either, I guess.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Thank you, Comic Strip Megathread, for teaching me that old MAD Magazine comics were not very good!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Thank you, Comic Strip Megathread, for teaching me that old MAD Magazine comics were not very good!

But the even older ones were better. The lesson I keep learning from the archive posts is that everything was golden before I showed up. Just like mom said.

Take Skippy, for instance... (June 4, 1927)

Peanuts (August 26, 1967, which is also a few years before I showed up)

M. Night ("Funky") Winkerbean gives us...A TWIST! (August 23, 2014, which kind of proves my point)

Popeye

Rip Haywire

And to distract you from missing Out Our Way, here's Peanuts: Year One! (March 22-24, 1951)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 23, 2014

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

That... happened quickly.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sergio Aragones

Spy vs. Spy (Mad #276, January 1988)

The Lighter Side of...

Don Martin Dept. (Mad #276, January 1988)

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Beeg posted:

The Lighter Side of...

Jesus loving christ these are toxic.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Wanamingo posted:

You know, as a left handed person, I don't have everything in my life organized the side my dominant hand is on. Maybe it's just me, and every other leftie puts everything over there, but these murders where it's clear who the killer is because of lamp placement are just bonkers.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Wanamingo posted:

It's ok, just look at the marginals, they're really great :3:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Wanamingo posted:

They make me physically uncomfortable.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

They make me physically uncomfortable.

I'm actually enjoying them a lot, but that's probably because A. I think I'm reading them as parodies of the usual schlock found in newspapers and B. I'm a big jerk.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

:stare:

Big Ben Bolt

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

To each their own. I sha'n't mention it again :)

Mark Trail Ketchup Catsup catchup

why am i reminded of a mockable dominic deegan

WHAT TH

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

DoubleDonut posted:

I'm actually enjoying them a lot, but that's probably because A. I think I'm reading them as parodies of the usual schlock found in newspapers and B. I'm a big jerk.

Same here. Keep 'em coming, Mister Beeg. :)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Vintage Hi and Lois feat. GAMS

I think Buz Sawyer is pausing between stories.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

It's ok, just look at the marginals, they're really great :3:

If anything in MAD Magazine bums you out, you can always count on Sergio's teeny-tiny cartoons to cheer you up :)

(I always try to leave them in whenever I scan stuff from the magazine. Glad it helps!)

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Son, you're getting fistfuls of Dave Berg and absolutely no Al Jaffee in your diet. Old MADs repeat a lot, but there is good stuff in there.

You know about Jaffee's fold-ins, right?

The picture you have to fold the page to get the joke?

Jaffee does other things, like Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions. He, Aragones, and the old movie/TV satires were always the backbone of the book.

Bleeker is off the leech!

Pickles lived through the Great Depression, and also the 1930s.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Bill Gaines once said that he loves "Fold In" because they essentially force you to damage the magazine in order to do it. Since some people prefer pristine copies for collecting, they are enticed to buy two copies of the same magazine, one to fold and another to store. A better strategy than printing dozens of variant covers. :P

A little bonus. Don Martin, for most of his career, actually relied on ghost-writers to supply gags, through which Don would mold into his style (including his famous sound effects). For years Duck Edwing supplied him gags, but others also contributed, including Sergio Aragones.

Here's a Don Martin strip that Sergio wrote.

Here's how Sergio originally drew them:

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Hey kids wanna see my
"Hot with Fleas" twelve inch?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

That is not how you pinky swear.

Rex Morgan MD

I happened to look at the throwaway panels today and I liked how curt Rex is in the second panel.

In my opinion this could have been today's whole strip and I would have loved it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shirec posted:

You know, as a left handed person, I don't have everything in my life organized the side my dominant hand is on. Maybe it's just me, and every other leftie puts everything over there, but these murders where it's clear who the killer is because of lamp placement are just bonkers.
Also, it makes no sense that he would need to switch desks. "I heard the gunshot and looked out the window" works just as well from either desk. But apparently he thought "They'd never believe I got up to look out the window, it's only plausible if I could do it from my chair." :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

DoubleDonut posted:

Me too. It hits the same humor centers as It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - sometimes it's fun to laugh at horrible assholes. I get the impression that Berg wants us to laugh at these characters, not with them.

• Locked thread