Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

DO police ever unjustifiably shoot white people? I can't remember ever hearing of an incident like that.

Yeah they do occarionally. In my area a bunch of kids allegedly did a dine and dash late at night, the off duty cop moonlighting as security stepped in front of their car in the parking lot, claimed they were trying to run him over, then shot wildly into the car killing a kid in the back seat. There was a lot of similar "they found marijuana residue so the driver must have been crazy!" bullshit and off course the cop got off even though he was off duty.

Also a doctor had a bunch of cops come to his house on suspicion of illegal gambling and they shot him for some idiotic reason when they showed up swat style and he was taking his garbage out to the curb.

My cousin down in the South was almost sent to jail because his wife at the time was involved in illegal drug stuff and the local deputies and possibly sheriff were all in on it. She ended up dead and they tried to claim it was my cousin and lucky for him his neighbor saw him sleeping on his couch in the living room through a window at the time of the murder. Overall I don't have a lot of respect for that profession.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Good Citizen posted:

Do homeless people count?

Not homeless, but white folks get blasted on occasion too:

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/apr/04/local/la-me-ln-water-nozzle-shooting-20130404

At least the family got paid, but this made news around here a few years back. The guy was completely shitfaced drunk (.42!) and probably blacked out, playing with a hose nozzle like a kid would do. The cops show up and ventilate him without even announcing their presence or ordering him to drop what he was holding.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah...but I guess I can understand why I wouldn't hear that on the news.

Still, my local newspaper does have lots of articles about the homeless situation here and their interactions with police and such, but I've never seen anything like that. The worst was the state house member from Waikiki going around smashing homeless people's stuff because he can.

Well it was only like 2 months ago that the Albuquerque police shot a homeless man in the back, after he already assented to their demands

Oh and that one was all on video

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Samurai Sanders posted:

DO police ever unjustifiably shoot white people? I can't remember ever hearing of an incident like that.

If I'm not mistaken people are waving around this guy in Utah http://www.wnd.com/2014/08/black-cop-kills-white-man-media-hide-race/ mainly because it happened after michael brown.

HOWEVER

the cop has a camera on his chest ( the most important thing which differentiates these two)
he was responding to an incident about a person waving their gun around

It's quite a bit rarer.
And what most people who list them don't realize, just because a white person is killed doesn't mean racism doesn't exist.
They are't mutually exclusive.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 23, 2014

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah...but I guess I can understand why I wouldn't hear that on the news.

It makes the news occasionally, like when Fullerton PD beat Thomas Kelly to death in 2011.

EDIT: Misidentified who was on the homicidal power-trip. In this case, at least.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It makes the news occasionally, like when the LAPD beat Thomas Kelly to death in 2011.

That was Fullerton PD, not LAPD

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yes and it gets handwaved away with just world bullshit just as easily. However they normally have better excuses then when they just gun down unarmed black people. Like when they thought daniel tosh's agent or whatever had stabbed someone.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Here's the video I mentioned. Obviously don't watch it if you don't want to see a mentally ill homeless man shot to death:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwytoxMuk4U

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Good Citizen posted:

Here's the video I mentioned. Obviously don't watch it if you don't want to see a mentally ill homeless man shot to death:

he was comin' right at 'em!

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Damiya posted:

Nick Valencia @CNNValencia
Supporters for Officer Darren Wilson line a sidewalk in St. Louis. #Ferguson #FergusonShooting #CNN

First thing I see in this is this middle. "I don't support race, I support the truth. What a great message I thought. You aren't choosing sides because of racial biased you just want the ... OH then I saw the context.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

The thing I really don't get about this video us that the guy right next to the murderer is holding a barbie shotgun, but for some reason that wasn't an option.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Wadjamaloo posted:

The thing I really don't get about this video us that the guy right next to the murderer is holding a barbie shotgun, but for some reason that wasn't an option.

Oh, they shot him with that a few times as well when he was on the ground. Also put the police dog on him a little too. Everybody needs to get a piece.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Usually only during SWAT raids on the wrong house.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Good Citizen posted:

Heroes one and all.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh sure... sometimes they even shoot them in the back while other cops hold them down.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cop-shoots-dead-unarmed-tased-subdued-teen-we-time-this-bang/

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well back in the 90's the USMS and FBI straight up murdered a child and an unarmed woman holding a baby at Ruby Ridge. Nobody got punished for that. Then a year later they managed to kill 87 more people including a shitload of kids. Same murderers, still no consequences.

Best part of Ruby Ridge: Turns out the ATF framed Weaver. So a child, an innocent woman and a US Marshal all died for absolutely no reason.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 23, 2014

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

PupsOfWar posted:

he was comin' right at 'em!

*shoots beanbags at a corpse being gnawed on by an obviously out of control police dog dragging his handler around* DROP THE KNIFE!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

http://www.metafilter.com/142029/Escalating-Tensions-in-Ferguson-Missouri#5699301

The gofundme for Wilson is setup for the Ferg police in reality?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Sir Tonk posted:

Oh yeah, he's way worse that Alberto Gonzales. Although I seem to not be able to recall why...

My biggest beef against him is that he knowingly covered the ATF's either incompetent or criminally liable behavior in relation the the sale of guns to Mexican gangs. The ATF is a terrible, out of control government entity that should probably have its duties folded into other law enforcement organizations and instead of taking the opportunity to excoriate and reform one of the most rotten governmental groups out there he went and begged Obama to invoke executive privilege, stonewall investigators and blame it all on the Republicans being mean. Obama's administration has had to deal with a lot of bullshit from the other side of the aisle but it's nowhere close to unreasonable to ask WTF the ATF was thinking letting guns walk across the border that were then used to murder people, Americans included.

new phone who dis fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 23, 2014

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Well back in the 90's the USMS and FBI straight up murdered a child and an unarmed woman holding a baby at Ruby Ridge. Nobody got punished for that. Then a year later they managed to kill 87 more people including a shitload of kids. Same murderers, still no consequences.

Best part of Ruby Ridge: Turns out the ATF framed Weaver. So a child, an innocent woman and a US Marshal all died for absolutely no reason.

You forgot mention that shooting and killing US Marshals was deemed justified in self-defence due to this at Ruby Ridge, leading to person shooting and killing a US Marshal getting a settlement for HIS suffering.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

natetimm posted:

Obama's administration has had to deal with a lot of bullshit from the other side of the aisle but it's nowhere close to unreasonable to ask WTF the ATF was thinking letting guns walk across the border that were then used to murder people, Americans included.

What I love about this dead, decaying corpse of a horse being dragged into a completely unrelated thread to be beaten yet again, is that the reason that the guns could 'walk' at all was because of our incredibly weak laws against straw sales, the main source for the "scandal" was actually the main perpetrator of the problem. What I find fascinating is that it exactly inverts the average gun-fetishists meme, in that it is saying that without these guns, those murders wouldn't have happened.

Back on the Michael Brown front:

“Josie” Story of Brown Shooting Lifted From Fake Facebook Page

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/43766_Josie_story_of_Brown_shooting_lifted_from_fake_Facebook_page/comments/

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Obdicut posted:

What I love about this dead, decaying corpse of a horse being dragged into a completely unrelated thread to be beaten yet again, is that the reason that the guns could 'walk' at all was because of our incredibly weak laws against straw sales, the main source for the "scandal" was actually the main perpetrator of the problem.
Exactly how could the laws against straw sales be stronger? They're already illegal. There isn't some secret trick that makes them legal. They're 100%, all-the-time, even-on-Sundays illegal. That the DoJ has traditionally chosen to not prosecute straw purchasers because it's too much effort and they're too busy loving up and framing slow kids for terrorism is the problem.

Also pretty much any plan where step one is "Sell guns to drug cartels" is a bad plan.

Edit: The ATF has a really nasty record of playing fast and loose with the law. Highlights include framing people, repeatedly entrapping minors, selling drugs to minors, offering minors sexual favors, specifically targeting the mentally handicapped, and losing machine guns that weren't even part of the sting that they just brought along because machine guns are cool.

The ATF makes the DEA look competent.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 23, 2014

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Exactly how could the laws against straw sales be stronger? They're already illegal. There isn't some secret trick that makes them legal. They're 100%, all-the-time, even-on-Sundays illegal.

This is ridiculous to say, but if you're interested in why, PM me, since this has gently caress-all to do with Brown.

quote:

Also pretty much any plan where step one is "Sell guns to drug cartels" is a bad plan.

It was actually 'sell to the straw buyer in Texas, where straw sales are weakly regulated'. I don't think it was a good plan, but as a 'scandal' it was typical of Issa: A fuckload of nonsense and idiocy, pretending something was wildly out of the ordinary that really wasn't, and hiding the real, actual issue at the bottom of a bloviated well.

quote:

Edit: The ATF has a really nasty record of playing fast and loose with the law. Highlights include framing people, repeatedly entrapping minors, selling drugs to minors, offering minors sexual favors, specifically targeting the mentally handicapped, and losing machine guns that weren't even part of the sting that they just brought along because machine guns are cool.

Sounds worthy of a thread you should start.

More on that Michael Brown guy:

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/08/Reparations-For-Ferguson/376098/

Ta-Nehisi Coates does his usual good job.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Obdicut posted:

It was actually 'sell to the straw buyer in Texas, where straw sales are weakly regulated'.
Straw sales are against federal law. If they're "weakly regulated" in Texas it's because the USA's office doesn't want to prosecute them.

Obdicut posted:

Sounds worthy of a thread you should start.
I did, it was a boring thread. Everyone pretty much agreed that the ATF sucks. It was a rare moment where D&D and TFR came together in harmony.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Good Citizen posted:

What is the point of the beanbags to the rear end? Are they supposed to restore movement to his arms so he can release his grip on the knives?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

vanbags posted:

What is the point of the beanbags to the rear end? Are they supposed to restore movement to his arms so he can release his grip on the knives?
Pain compliance. It looks better on video and sounds better in the report than a kick in the ribs.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bel Shazar posted:

Oh sure... sometimes they even shoot them in the back while other cops hold them down.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cop-shoots-dead-unarmed-tased-subdued-teen-we-time-this-bang/

That is a horrible story. Apparently, that guy was indicted and is awaiting trial.

natetimm posted:

My biggest beef against him is that he knowingly covered the ATF's either incompetent or criminally liable behavior in relation the the sale of guns to Mexican gangs. The ATF is a terrible, out of control government entity that should probably have its duties folded into other law enforcement organizations and instead of taking the opportunity to excoriate and reform one of the most rotten governmental groups out there he went and begged Obama to invoke executive privilege, stonewall investigators and blame it all on the Republicans being mean. Obama's administration has had to deal with a lot of bullshit from the other side of the aisle but it's nowhere close to unreasonable to ask WTF the ATF was thinking letting guns walk across the border that were then used to murder people, Americans included.

A big part of why it's so horribly incompetent is because it is woefully underfunded and understaffed thanks to the NRA and its lackeys in Congress. The NRA and its whores in Congress block every attempt to make it a competent agency. But it is totally out of control in its current form.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 23, 2014

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Can you guys not poo poo up my utterly pristine thread with gun chat, thanks in advance.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Does anyone have that compilation of racist GoFundMe donation notes? I need it to piss off some idiot I've never met before on Facebook.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I was kind of caught up in revolutionary fervor with this story and now I feel sad and deflated, as though a great spark flew into the sky, then fizzled and burst and tumbled soundlessly back to earth.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I was kind of caught up in revolutionary fervor with this story and now I feel sad and deflated, as though a great spark flew into the sky, then fizzled and burst and tumbled soundlessly back to earth.

Is this guy for real?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Obdicut posted:

What I love about this dead, decaying corpse of a horse being dragged into a completely unrelated thread to be beaten yet again, is that the reason that the guns could 'walk' at all was because of our incredibly weak laws against straw sales, the main source for the "scandal" was actually the main perpetrator of the problem. What I find fascinating is that it exactly inverts the average gun-fetishists meme, in that it is saying that without these guns, those murders wouldn't have happened.

Back on the Michael Brown front:

“Josie” Story of Brown Shooting Lifted From Fake Facebook Page

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/43766_Josie_story_of_Brown_shooting_lifted_from_fake_Facebook_page/comments/

There is no gun fetishist meme that says we should sell guns to known criminals but it doesn't really surprise me that a partisan tool can't tell the difference.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Neo Duckberg posted:

Is this guy for real?

He watches "The Wire", he knows what he's talking about.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Edit: There was no point to this post

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Neo Duckberg posted:

Is this guy for real?

No, I'm an elaborate fiction.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Does anyone have that compilation of racist GoFundMe donation notes? I need it to piss off some idiot I've never met before on Facebook.

https://twitter.com/BastardKeith/status/502472644131037184

You mean this?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Neo Duckberg posted:

Can you guys not poo poo up my utterly pristine thread with gun chat, thanks in advance.

So about those communists

Yup, was gonna post it. That's the one.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Thanks, can't wait to have fun with the resulting meltdown.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Color me shocked that right-wing media latched onto the account of someone literally reading a speculative Facebook post on radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SinistralRifleman
Oct 9, 2007

by Cyrano4747
On topic for cops convicted of killing unarmed people
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/20/richard-chrisman_n_4483098.html
White officer, Hispanic victim.

Obdicut posted:

You may want to read Mike Detty's account of how this stuff worked in guns across the border. I work in the gun industry in metro Phoenix. ATF specifically told dealers to keep selling to people AFTER they called ATF to report unusual activity. When the agency that regulates you tells you to do something you generally do it...even then some refused. Most of these transactions were obvious straw sales and dealers know they can face criminal charges themselves if they participate. Dealers don't like selling guns particularly dozens at a time to criminals. Violating that law and selling guns to criminals knowingly are bad for long term business even if you want to completely remove ethics from the equation.

SinistralRifleman fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 24, 2014

• Locked thread