Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTXpXesMcKE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
wow so apparently internet aristocrat guy with the pop as hell dox vid posted on here aswell. all the movers and shakers in this are goons lol.
its like that ron paul 2008 thread in d&d except the eve online randroids have an army of channers against internet communists with an army of tumblrs.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe we should set up a counter Patreon for a Goon Gam Jam.

It will of course go directly to my personal account.

Wait, no it has to go into a Goonette's account so we actually get donations. Takers?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

patreon and polytron have practically the same logo. spooky

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Serious question: does anyone actually give a poo poo about the ethics of video games journalism? Because mainstream games journalism being in bed with the industry (hur hur) has been public knowledge for at least a decade.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Well, yeah, because even though game journalism is the big publishers' bitch, they bully smaller developers if they go against their agenda. See this: http://orogion.deviantart.com/journal/Save-the-Boob-plate-380891149

quote:

In the world of journalism there are channels that take an aggressive stance against everything they judge even remotely sexistic and in many instances denying the word of opposition by disabling criticism and reactions on their articles or blogs. Also blackmails in the form of "change your game art or we won't publish a single word about you." is a common behavior found among those.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

Froghammer posted:

Serious question: does anyone actually give a poo poo about the ethics of video games journalism? Because mainstream games journalism being in bed with the industry (hur hur) has been public knowledge for at least a decade.

no that group of channers that went loving nuts about anita sarkisean never really left and looks for sjw stuff to go after all the time. that's what this is really about.

the only reason it got so big this time is because half of tumblr is against it aswell, cause the target is especially awful this time.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Froghammer posted:

I kind of do on a distant level. I'd love to be able to look at a review, preview, or other article about video games without all of the nonsense that is out there. I wish it existed. But it doesn't.

So on one level, yeah, I care that game journalism isn't just a hype machine, I just don't see how it can be anything other than what it has become.

This of course changes nothing on the current topic and nonsense.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

EA Sports posted:

no that group of channers that went loving nuts about anita sarkisean never really left and looks for sjw stuff to go after all the time. that's what this is really about.
That's what I've gathered. We can talk all we want about ethics or whatever, but if everyone involved in this was, I dunno, a gay male I don't think the internet would give two shits.

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Froghammer posted:

That's what I've gathered. We can talk all we want about ethics or whatever, but if everyone involved in this was, I dunno, a gay male I don't think the internet would give two shits.

if?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Falsum posted:

Well, yeah, because even though game journalism is the big publishers' bitch, they bully smaller developers if they go against their agenda. See this: http://orogion.deviantart.com/journal/Save-the-Boob-plate-380891149

Divinity is a pretty good game by the way. Critically acclaimed, too.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Froghammer posted:

true, only gay guys can gently caress each other for publicity without it being a problem

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Froghammer posted:

I don't know about that. There might have been less people involved (although I'd argue the homophobes would have replaced the misogynists), but I do think it still would have blown up.

I also think a reason this is as big as it is is because even though people don't expect much from game journos when it comes to AAA games, they didn't realize indie game development was so hosed up.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
yea i had suspicions that the social justice clique was literally controlling what indie games get press but this just out and out shows it.

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011
It might be disappointing to know people are fine with being blatantly corrupt for hundreds of thousands of dollars, and yet at the same time hilarious that some of the same people are also fine with being blatantly corrupt for a listless handjob and a six pack of PBR.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Forums Barber posted:

hundreds of thousands of dollars
You vastly overestimate the amount of money floating around in the indie game dev scene.

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011

Froghammer posted:

You vastly overestimate the amount of money floating around in the indie game dev scene.

That's the EA/Microsoft side -- the indie devs are the handjob and beer side.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Falsum posted:

I don't know about that. There might have been less people involved (although I'd argue the homophobes would have replaced the misogynists), but I do think it still would have blown up.

I also think a reason this is as big as it is is because even though people don't expect much from game journos when it comes to AAA games, they didn't realize indie game development was so hosed up.

This is why I'm interested. Everyone knows gamer 'culture' is a joke, but these people make me ashamed to own a goddamn computer.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

i am extremely angry a lady slept with some people or something

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

definitely not going to buy some dumb idiot baby video game aka High And True Art because of this

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

Best Friends posted:

definitely not going to buy some dumb idiot baby video game aka High And True Art because of this

Good to hear!!

Keep at it, buddy!! :)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

why hasn't the main stream news picked up this story????

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
lol they got the reddit mod logs.

Here: http://i.imgur.com/lpJjYFN.png

So that's reddit on fire for another week.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Froghammer posted:

The thing is that if games journalism wasn't complete garbage people would probably actually care, but instead keeping this around pisses off games journalists a whole bunch a shitload so I'm all for it

oh loving god yes this is delicious

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNa-A56nRW8

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
it also pisses off "gamers" which is even better

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Nebelwerfer posted:

The Game Jam she is pulling has no set date, rules or anything whatsoever but she is still happy getting money out it from pussywhipped tumblrites afaik

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah and it donates right to her personal paypal account.
please, please remember these two posts whenever phil fish tweets that this paypal account was hacked.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

is there a smiley of :pwn: scratching his chin? I originally wanted to word that post around having that as the punchline :negative:

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
wait what if zoe quinn and phil fish are actually the same person

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Ahundredbux posted:

unlikely

if she was phil fish, she'd have cancelled three of her projects

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
that's what she wants you to believe

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

toggle posted:

why hasn't the main stream news picked up this story????

because none of it matters or because none of it can be proven, pick whichever suits your narrative best

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Ahundredbux posted:

one helluva quinncidence!!!

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

beep by grandpa posted:

one helluva quinncidence!!!

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Guys guys guys, we're getting a bit too worked up over this.

Let's just chill for an hour and enjoy this LP of Depression Quest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlpZ3zie9iQ

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

There's people out there (I've read them!) that believe Ben Kuchera is a smart reviewer with great personal opinions and they follow him around as he hops from site to site

js

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Best Friends posted:

i am extremely angry a lady slept with some people or something

ahurrrr durr duh hurrrrrrr

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
The only way depression quest helps people with depression is if they kill themselves right after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
has she done any game stuff other than depression quest

• Locked thread