Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

some texas redneck posted:

Exactly this. Also, Chrysler is footing the bill for the rental.

e;f;b

I once got a Dodge 1500 as a loaner for my Mazda 3 :classiclol:
The guy didn't charge me for the gas I used so it was ok. Even keeping it at 55mph the computer said about 16mpg.

I sometimes eat in the car if I'm on a roadtrip with my dog. :woof:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Powershift posted:

And in the doing it wrong departent, this thing is STILL for sale for 50 grand.

For some reason, I just see this

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

xzzy posted:

Turned out to be a comically bad picture but you can still see the primary fail.

Guess in remembering 9/11 they forgot how to spell. ("AR" plates are for "america remembers" in Illinois.)

This guy just won the loving game.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Chupacarbra, the gas-sucker :drac:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Good god, y'all.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Huh.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

What is it good for?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Absolutely nothing, say it again y'all.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Absolutely nothing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Uh huh, yeah.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Never gonna turn around and desert you

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Terrible, as in I want it terribly bad!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

razorscooter posted:

Bad shift knob/picture handling:

More like bad thread choice

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

enojy posted:

More like bad thread choice

Goose Island is InBev, right thread.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Not my car, but belongs to the mother of one of the local car dudes. loving college students in my town :argh: "I was adjusting the radio and didn't see the stoplight"

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

I hate when a 5 minute oil change turns into a 15 minute cleanup job. :argh:

(spilled the pan when trying to pour the old oil into the empty bottles)

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Beach Bum posted:

Not my car, but belongs to the mother of one of the local car dudes. loving college students in my town :argh: "I was adjusting the radio and didn't see the stoplight"

'66 is my favorite year Chevelle :(
YOU BASTARDS :argh:

(interesting how thoroughly it crumpled the trunk but the passenger compartment is fairly intact- '60s cars are a bit safer than I thought I guess?)

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 24, 2014

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Beach Bum posted:

Adjust the kid's face with a full DIN radio :toughguy:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tommychu posted:

(interesting how thoroughly it crumpled the trunk but the passenger compartment is fairly intact- '60s cars are a bit safer than I thought I guess?)

It's pretty normal for cars of that era to keep their shape in a wreck. The issues are a lack of seat belts, no head rests, a tendency for the engine to enter the passenger area in a front collision, and the steering wheel crushing the driver.

So even if the doors work when everything comes to a rest, it doesn't matter because you're hamburger.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

That's why I said 'a bit'.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

xzzy posted:

It's pretty normal for cars of that era to keep their shape in a wreck. The issues are a lack of seat belts, no head rests, a tendency for the engine to enter the passenger area in a front collision, and the steering wheel crushing the driver.

If you ever wondered what the back of your instrument panel looks like....
http://youtu.be/xtxd27jlZ_g

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

The Door Frame posted:

When people say that older cars were safer because of all that steel, I show them this video.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The main thing is: any force not transmitted to the car body is transferred to the occupants. It's similar to that high-school experiment where you set a tennis ball on a basketball and drop them together. You're adding force into a system, and it has to go somewhere. So, newer cars crush in specific, not-too-fast but not-too-slow ways to pillow the impact. Some older cars may be stiffer, but that's a terrible thing.

Plus everything mentioned above.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also modern cars are still made of steel anyway.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Beach Bum posted:

If he has Hagerty or some kind of good collector car insurance they will fix that. I saw a Camaro with the same kind of damage getting fixed with Hagerty.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Fart Pipe posted:

If he has Hagerty or some kind of good collector car insurance they will fix that. I saw a Camaro with the same kind of damage getting fixed with Hagerty.

I don't know what kind of insurance she's carrying on it, but I'll ask the next time I see her son at one of the meets. Dude said "totaled" so the appraisal and poo poo might already be over with. I hope for the best, of course.

xzzy posted:

So even if the doors work when everything comes to a rest, it doesn't matter because you're hamburger.

She has some pretty wicked whiplash from what I heard from the son. I recommended an attorney my family knows.

Das Volk posted:

Adjust the kid's face with a full DIN radio :toughguy:

Tommychu posted:

'66 is my favorite year Chevelle :(
YOU BASTARDS :argh:

Trust me, the local forum is pretty fuckin' livid. I was just saying the other day that I am driving outside of "normal" commute hours so I don't have to deal with the idiots out there when students are in town.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

When people say that older cars were safer because of all that steel, I show them this video.

Also that Subaru pillar cross-section.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Tommychu posted:

Also that Subaru pillar cross-section.

I'm an EMT and I showed that to Phoenix fire, and a few went "oooooh, that's why."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HotCanadianChick posted:

I hate when a 5 minute oil change turns into a 15 minute cleanup job. :argh:

(spilled the pan when trying to pour the old oil into the empty bottles)

I still haven't finished cleaning up from an oil change last April. Rental garage with a horrid floor means I give no fucks.

Since then I've been using kitty littler buckets to collect my oil instead of trying to poor it into the small jugs.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

As I'm watching F1 qualifying at Spa, I'm taking a trip back into time this morning and visiting a terrible company named Stutz.

Stutz started out with honest intentions and produced great little 2-seat sports cars. Stutz was America's early Caterham, if you will. The Bearcat, its most well-known car, was lightweight, had a high-tech four-valve engine, and was seen as a bit of a status symbol compared to most everything else on the road.

Years later, due to the great depression and poor management, the company failed. It was reincarnated in the late 60s by a strange man from New York who seemingly had a taste for gold and General Motors vehicles.

Its major seller under the new ownership was the Blackhawk:

The Blackhawk was a Poncho Grand Prix with walnut trim, 24k gold plating, rich corinthian high-quality leather, and fake side exhaust pipes. It was also (adjusted for inflation) $120,000.

But wait there's more.

Stutz also produced the IV-Porte, because "four-door" is for commoners. It's basically the same concept as the Blackhawk, but it started as a Bonneville instead.

Class without speed, my friends.

The price tag? Over $200k (again adjusted for inflation. It was such a fine, elegant, and understated automobile that King Fahd of Saudi Arabia had one custom-ordered. Stutz sold around 50 of these.

....but that's not all!

Stutz produced seven high-end limos called the Diplomatica. All but one were bought by the Saudi kingdom. PRicing for the 1981 armored version was well over $500k (adjusted for inflation). This green one was sold to wealthy thoroughbred breeders in Canada.

However....

The pièce de resistance may just be the Stutz Defender/Bear/Gazelle. These extremely limited-production SUVs were based on the Chevy Suburban, and as you can see, are absolutely hideous.

It's armored, and has a very Rolls-esque rear.

This post was brought to you by hangover and coffee.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

angryhampster posted:

It's armored, and has a very Rolls-esque rear.

Was the convertible top also armored?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Uthor posted:

Was the convertible top also armored?

That does seem to be a rather odd design decision...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

The Door Frame posted:

The difference in the condition of the windshield is what always impresses me from that video.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The difference in the condition of the windshield is what always impresses me from that video.

You mean the fact that it comes out of the vehicle in which it's a non-structural component that is rubber gasketed in place?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

angryhampster posted:

As I'm watching F1 qualifying at Spa, I'm taking a trip back into time this morning and visiting a terrible company named Stutz.

What's with the really peculiar corner lights at the front? Is it a turn-following headlight setup?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Slavvy posted:

What's with the really peculiar corner lights at the front? Is it a turn-following headlight setup?

Not sure but I believe the best term for it is "drugs".

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Slavvy posted:

It's intended to evoke the freestanding headlights on '30s cars. Not the first time Virgil Exner tried it.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

Motronic posted:

You mean the fact that it comes out of the vehicle in which it's a non-structural component that is rubber gasketed in place?

I think he means how the whole front of the Bel-Air is destroyed and the damage to the Malibu doesn't extend past the middle of the front fender.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Motronic posted:

The fact that the only damage to the new windshield is starring, while the older one is destroyed even before it rips free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

angryhampster posted:

Stutz started out with honest intentions and produced great little 2-seat sports cars. Stutz was America's early Caterham, if you will. The Bearcat, its most well-known car, was lightweight, had a high-tech four-valve engine, and was seen as a bit of a status symbol compared to most everything else on the road.

Counting Cars tracked down Barry White's old Stutz IV-Porte (though I think they identified it as a Bearcat on the show) and restored it for his widow.

It looked like a G or B body with a lot of gaudy trim and funky headlights, and gold plating replacing any chrome plating.