Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Ah the mighty social justice warrior, standing up for his damsel in distress.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Try celery.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

:hellyeah:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

All this exposure has given Zoe the power to work on greater projects. Her next game is with a big-time publisher:

good

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

This dude is the Aztec golem boss of cucktales. He's slow, big, and pretty easy to own but a good starting point for beginners.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

All this exposure has given Zoe the power to work on greater projects. Her next game is with a big-time publisher:

Dang

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Speaking of people getting money to do nothing:

http://www.patreon.com/thesarkeesianeffect

$1.1k a month to yell about how Social Justice Warriors are the worst thing ever. But don't worry guys, totally not an MRA thing.

Oh and one of the people is "a self-identified Left Libertarian". So that's fun.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

$1.1k a month to yell about how Social Justice Warriors are the worst thing ever. But don't worry guys, totally not an MRA thing.

Oh and one of the people is "a self-identified Left Libertarian". So that's fun.

Really? Cause he's raising money to make a documentary on the Social Justice Warriors with regular updates on the progress of the documentary. This looks like legit work he's raising money for.

This is a far cry from Zoe's Patreon where she collects money for existing.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

lovely Wizard posted:

Imagine someone in college/high school says they want to make video games, but they don't have any applicable skills towards making said games, like a passion for programming or actual game design outside of "here's my idea for a game its mario but with a twist!!!"

They become games journalists. Then five to ten years later they realize that while actual game makers can say they are software developers or PR or something, they have to say "we report on kids toys". So this goes, until they once again they have a realization - if they push the art school type poo poo like depression quest or gone home, they can have a job worth bragging about. Instead of kids toys, they can say it's a transcendent art form.

Now imagine the longer this goes on, the longer they look like douchebags who were wrong at every point in their lives in making the decision to become games journalists, from skills at their already considered low job to ethical standards of sleeping with game devs while in arguably a position of power. This makes their lives feel like a joke, and its delicious, like a succulent orange.

:golfclap:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
lol people will pay money for anything. :911:

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

You bring light to my cucked life.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

facialimpediment posted:

dunno

I spent several months hanging out in a sjw room before getting out and they followed all these guys diagnosis to a T, including organizing retaliatory harassment campaigns against people on this site, encouraging each other to read poo poo as far worse than they actually were, and accusing me of being a MRA if I ever had the slightest criticism or objection. and in the several years since I realized them for what they were it's only spread and their tactics have stayed the exact same

the takeaway is "don't subscribe to an ideology" and also I guess "people who subscribe to an ideology frequently don't actually understand or comprehend what it means and instead go full zealot to make up for it"

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
lol at making a movie about it though

Raymond Hog
Nov 28, 2013

Aids

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

lovely Wizard posted:

Imagine someone in college/high school says they want to make video games, but they don't have any applicable skills towards making said games, like a passion for programming or actual game design outside of "here's my idea for a game its mario but with a twist!!!"

They become games journalists. Then five to ten years later they realize that while actual game makers can say they are software developers or PR or something, they have to say "we report on kids toys". So this goes, until they once again they have a realization - if they push the art school type poo poo like depression quest or gone home, they can have a job worth bragging about. Instead of kids toys, they can say it's a transcendent art form.

Now imagine the longer this goes on, the longer they look like douchebags who were wrong at every point in their lives in making the decision to become games journalists, from skills at their already considered low job to ethical standards of sleeping with game devs while in arguably a position of power. This makes their lives feel like a joke, and its delicious, like a succulent orange.

Ouch...but I think a lot of this is true. But I'm thinking most games journalists probably want to be film or book or even TV critics. They want to be critics of real art, but they aren't talented enough for that, and so they have to settle for being game critics. And so they try to promote arty games, even though most of them are poo poo, so that they can try to feel like they aren't wasting their lives basically being PR for companies that make shooter.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

8 years later,

The Dennis System posted:

so that they can try to feel like they aren't wasting their lives basically being PR for companies that make shooter.

the punchline is games journalism

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011
remember that even though Depression Quest is made in Twine (you basically just fill in the blanks with your text), she is only the producer and writer, there were two guys who did the "coding" lmao

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

holy poo poo two loving people to code a twine game? twine is like, a text file with basically no programming required, as in literally designed for non-programmers. skill-wise its about as complex as posting on a forum.

i can't imagine anyone who claims to be a game designer having so little passion for their work that they could even put the time in to read the five pages requires to learn to use a tool like that. in the industry it's expected that you can use languages like flash or processing or lua for prototyping and level editing. it's like saying you're a fashion designer but can't use an overlocker.

chaosbreather fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 24, 2014

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

chaosbreather posted:

holy poo poo two loving people to code a twine game? twine is like, a text file with basically no programming required, as in literally designed for non-programmers. skill-wise its about as complex as posting on a forum.

i can't imagine anyone who claims to be a game designer having so little passion for their work that they could even put the time in to read the five pages requires to learn to use a tool like that

please don't subject me to this sick misogynistic filth. i never consented to reading this. how loving dare you?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

When are the penny arcade guys going to weigh in and really piss off the SJW.

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

facialimpediment posted:

wow that was awkward lol

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

jaegerx posted:

"This whole situation is so terrible. It's like being attacked by a Dickwolf."

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

jaegerx posted:

Look they lost their balls awhile ago. Right now they are likely hiding under their beds and praying as hard as possible that this is going to go away before PAX.

Maybe if PAX explodes into massive protests and is a massive poo poo storm, then they'll probably comment.

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

pants up don't cuck

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

facialimpediment posted:

These guys bitched endlessly that Anita made $160k from a kickstarter, but they're asking for at least $75k and think their webcam videos is of a similar quality to Anita's DSLR, studio lighting and post-produced videos...

At least Anita's videos have some value to teenagers who are interested in a gentle introduction to feminism. These guys just want to make Reddit MRA conspiracy theory: The Movie. Can't wait for all the drama and tears to follow.

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011
I remember in the Giant Bomb thread, when they ran articles about her putting that stupid RFID chip in her hand, they defended her hardcore, like "body mods are cool" and "she's not crazy, obviously she had someone with experience do this for her."

then she puts up youtube videos and she's just jamming a big-rear end needle in her hand at her computer desk. sure, purple hair, likes jamming stuff in her body (i know, too easy), compulsive liar, married to get citizenship, lets multiple dudes at once think she's monogamous with them and don't need protection, lying about getting std tests, maybe only one or two of these things by themselves don't indicate a horrible person, but she totally fills the bingo card. if she was just some random tumblrite and not "a game developer" the only attention she'd ever get was mockery.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

And... scene.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

haha forgot this existed. always good

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Forums Barber posted:

I remember in the Giant Bomb thread, when they ran articles about her putting that stupid RFID chip in her hand, they defended her hardcore, like "body mods are cool" and "she's not crazy, obviously she had someone with experience do this for her."

then she puts up youtube videos and she's just jamming a big-rear end needle in her hand at her computer desk. sure, purple hair, likes jamming stuff in her body (i know, too easy), compulsive liar, married to get citizenship, lets multiple dudes at once think she's monogamous with her, maybe only one or two of these things by themselves don't indicate a horrible person, but she totally fills the bingo card. if she was just some random tumblrite and not "a game developer" the only attention she'd ever get was mockery.

The posters in that thread have worse mental health problems than zoe.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Paladinus posted:

Just went and read a wiki article on Zoe to confirm she never made anything except Depression Quest.

why does this piglet have a wiki article?

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Forums Barber posted:

then she puts up youtube videos and she's just jamming a big-rear end needle in her hand at her computer desk. sure, purple hair, likes jamming stuff in her body (i know, too easy), compulsive liar, married to get citizenship, lets multiple dudes at once think she's monogamous with them and don't need protection, lying about getting std tests, maybe only one or two of these things by themselves don't indicate a horrible person, but she totally fills the bingo card. if she was just some random tumblrite and not "a game developer" the only attention she'd ever get was mockery.

Wait a second married to get citizenship? She's not American? Like I remember reading in the giant post by her former bf that she's divorced, but I didn't realize she did the whole marriage for citizenship bullshit.

Please, tell this Zoe tale.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

toggle posted:

why does this piglet have a wiki article?

Better question... why does she have this wiki article that doesn't have a section about the current scandal? :]

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Not enough new photos of attractive woman_01 Zoe Quinn, unsubscribed from thread.

Also disappointed in no goon Patreaon to get moneys.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
i love those penny arcade dorks because they make babies tremble with their inoffensive dad humor.

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Not enough new photos of attractive woman_01 Zoe Quinn, unsubscribed from thread.

Also disappointed in no goon Patreaon to get moneys.

these forums are just a giant Patreon for Lowtax

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WilltheMagicAsian posted:

these forums are just a giant Patreon for Lowtax

:aaaaa:

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Oh god, these wiki articles are bias as hell. Take a look at the one for Depression Quest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depression_Quest

quote:

Depression Quest is a 2013 interactive fiction dealing with the subject of depression.[1] It was developed by Zoe Quinn with the Twine engine, and was released on Steam in August 2014.[2][3] The game attempts to bridge the gap in understanding between sufferers and non-sufferers of depression. Non-sufferers are shown the burden of living with the affliction, and sufferers are shown that depression is not something that has to be suffered alone.[4]

The game was released shortly after the death of American actor Robin Williams. Following his suicide, Quinn considered not releasing it, but eventually decided to release it for free.[2] Quinn, however, decided not to promote the game "until a respectful time later".[2]

Gameplay
Depression Quest is an interactive fiction written in the style of a Choose Your Own Adventure book.[5] The story is conveyed primarily through the medium of text, occasionally interspersed with still images,[1] and accompanied by atmospheric music.[6] Players assume the role of a depression sufferer, and the story centers around their daily life, their relationships, their work, and possible treatment options.[1] Players are periodically faced with choices that alter the course of the story. To make a choice, the player must click on the corresponding hyperlink.[5] However, choices are often greyed out and cannot be clicked on, a mechanism that Depression Quest uses to portray the character's mental state and the fact that logical decisions may not be available to them.[6]

Reception
The game received high marks from Giant Bomb and Rock Paper Shotgun, who both praised it for its writing. The latter described it as a "game as communication, comfort and tool of understanding."[7][8] Depression Quest was one of many games IndieCade included at their 2013 festival as part of their "Night Games" selections.[9]

I just love how there's no mention of the Steam Greenlight controversy or that it's current rating on Steam is really abysmal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

beep by grandpa posted:

I just went to google so loving hard because I wanted this to be true but in my heart I believed it wasn't and lmfaoooo

https://twitter.com/reverendanthony/status/465308791165030402

what a loving loser holy poo poo.

holy poo poo.

jackyl posted:

who is this guy besides a loser?

ahahahaha holy poo poo he is the brother from Hey Ash Whatcha Playin?

• Locked thread