Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
This is an irresistible, beautiful trainwreck that just keeps on giving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

reavor posted:

Forget cyber wars between nations, high-level politcal leakage with Snowden, wikileaks etc. and internet censorship. The fallout from ethic-breaching within indie-gaming journalism is what will bring internet to its knees.

Hey when you think about it, starting World War 1 over an assassination by a lovely terrorist group was really stupid. There were far more logical reasons to start the war prior, but that's what became the flash point. All the major powers hated each other already, and a few assholes managed to set the sparks that blew everything to poo poo.

Just be glad that we are posting in the United States of Something Awful.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Hah no we're some tiny country no one invades because they forgot we exist.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Will Pax Prime be our Gamer Maidan???

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
VOTE LOWTAX

KEPT US OUT OF INDIE VIDEO GAME WAR

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

All this exposure has given Zoe the power to work on greater projects. Her next game is with a big-time publisher:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

VJeff posted:

VOTE LOWTAX

KEPT US OUT OF INDIE VIDEO GAME WAR

Lowtax is more like Francisco Franco.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Falsum posted:

e: There was also that retard on twitter that actually doxxed a bunch of people against Quinn and had a similar smarmy tone.

Ah, found it:

Jombo
Feb 20, 2009
See if I got this right: Essentially this shitfest has exposed the fact indie game development and small-time game journalists have been taken over by a cabal of completely untalented nepotistic SJW hipsters who use their followers to stifle dissent, control internet discourse - aka wikipedia pages on unremarkable games/devs backed up by articles on websites by others in the clique, and reserve jobs/games publicity for themselves and their friends. Then they blackmail legitimate indie projects into 'donating' (read: giving them) money or they will blacklist them by calling their project racist/sexist/triggering.

Everyone who wants to get into the industry must not only avoid offending the inner circle, but apparently must actively worship at the SJ altar otherwise risk insinuations of racism/sexism/triggerism which in the SJW world is as good as a conviction by full jury trial if the accuser is more popular than you.

Members of this inner circle and their followers are now trying to spin this whole debacle as misogynist gamers attacking an innocent woman over her private life.

How on target it this?

When indie games started to take off some really great titles came out - this then rapidly turned into a poo poo faucet. Horrible games were getting far more publicity than they deserved - publicity that would sometimes entice me to buy the game before realizing it was a piece of poo poo (as evidenced by the long list of indie steam games I own with <1hr play time). While really good indie games wallowed out of sight, off the radar, never seeing the steam green light of day.

Wonder if these two things are connected?

e: grammars

Jombo fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Aug 24, 2014

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
the video from that hax:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHn1LK_6Bxs

based on description, some poo poo-stirrer just typed in a few password attempts and got in that way

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Jombo posted:

See if I got this right: Essentially this shitfest has exposed the fact indie game development and small-time game journalists have been taken over by a cabal of completely untalented nepotistic SJW hipsters who use their followers to stifle dissent, control internet discourse - aka wikipedia pages on unremarkable games/devs backed up by articles on websites by others in the clique, and reserve jobs/games publicity for themselves and their friends. Then they blackmail legitimate indie projects into 'donating' (read: giving them) money or they will blacklists them calling their project racist/sexist/triggering.

Everyone who wants to get into the industry must then not only avoid offending the inner circle, but apparently actively worship at the SJ altar otherwise risk insinuations of racist/sexist/triggering which in the SJW is as good as a conviction by full jury trial if the accuser is more popular than you.

Members of this inner circle and their followers are now trying to spin this whole debacle as misogynist gamers attacking an innocent woman over her private life.

How on target it this?

When indie games started to take off some really great titles came out - this then rapidly turned into a poo poo faucet. Horrible games were getting far more publicity than they deserved - publicity that would sometimes entice me to buy the game before realizing it was a piece of poo poo (as evidenced by the long list of indie steam games I own with <1hr play time). While really good indie games wallowed out of sight, off the radar, never seeing the steam green light of day.

yup, this is a good summary. its an amazing story and no-one can run with it.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
I'd like to think phil fish and zoe quinn are the only people making awful info-graphics in their own support.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jombo posted:

cuckquest

Basically. They also tried to use a DMCA to get the first video about this taken down. It backfired.

There are still some sweet rear end indie games though. Bastion, Transistor, Guacamelee, Mark of the Ninja, Papers Please, to name a few.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

chaosbreather posted:

yup, this is a good summary. its an amazing story and no-one can run with it.

The best part is that no one outside the MRAs would have ever even known about the incident, let alone give it a second thought, if Zoe's clique hadn't tried to cleanse all mention of it from the internet.

Hobo Grandpa
Aug 22, 2014

"Trigger" is my trigger word.

Gyges posted:

The best part is that no one outside the MRAs would have ever even known about the incident, let alone give it a second thought, if Zoe's clique hadn't tried to cleanse all mention of it from the internet.

The Streisand Effect is a beautiful thing, ain't it?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gyges posted:

Well that and they let Phil Fish open his fat loving trap. That certainly didn't help their cause.

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

Falsum posted:

Ah, found it:

Are people stupid or what

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Skipped from page 2 to page 93 someone fill me in

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Stoat posted:

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

Stoat posted:

Jombo posted:

See if I got this right: Essentially this shitfest has exposed the fact indie game development and small-time game journalists have been taken over by a cabal of completely untalented nepotistic SJW hipsters who use their followers to stifle dissent, control internet discourse - aka wikipedia pages on unremarkable games/devs backed up by articles on websites by others in the clique, and reserve jobs/games publicity for themselves and their friends. Then they blackmail legitimate indie projects into 'donating' (read: giving them) money or they will blacklist them by calling their project racist/sexist/triggering.

Everyone who wants to get into the industry must not only avoid offending the inner circle, but apparently must actively worship at the SJ altar otherwise risk insinuations of racism/sexism/triggerism which in the SJW world is as good as a conviction by full jury trial if the accuser is more popular than you.

How on target it this?

e: grammars

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

El Estrago Bonito posted:

If Adam Sandler could make a good looking sandwich in that lovely "serious" movie he did I am sure yours is stellar

I know I'm late to the party here, but that sandwich did look loving amazing.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Stoat posted:

it went from a mere infidelity shitshower to a proper shitstorm involving large proportions of the new media, 4chan, tumblr and reddit

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
http://thefineyoungcapitalists.tumblr.com/post/95626418480/on-the-conspiracy

tfyc posted:

Apparently we have been hacked and silenced. Or more appropriately someone managed to guess our 8 character alpha numeric password. We have taken step to beef up security and will engage with Indiegogo to repair our service.

:doh: come on, man.

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009

Stoat posted:

• Chick made a lovely game.
  • Chick cheated on boyfriend with FIVE GUYS who were game journalists and wrote her game good reviews.
  • Internet got wind of it, all hell breaks loose in the Whineosphere quadrent.
  • I watched double feature at a drive in tonight with Guardians of the Galaxy and TMNT.
  • Why the gently caress didn't they have a throwback to the original series' theme song? Also what the gently caress did they do to Donatello?!
  • Welcome to page 93

edit: It was my third time seeing Guardians and of course it was good.

Lifepuzzler fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Aug 24, 2014

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

You forgot this:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Lifepuzzler posted:

• Chick made a lovely game.
  • Chick cheated on boyfriend with FIVE GUYS who were game journalists and wrote her game good reviews.
  • Internet got wind of it, all hell breaks loose in the Whineosphere quadrent.
  • I watched double feature at a drive in tonight with Guardians of the Galaxy and TMNT.
  • Why the gently caress didn't they have a throwback to the original series' theme song? Also what the gently caress did they do to Donatello?!
  • Welcome to page 93

How was Raph

This is all I care about

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Hahaha holy poo poo who still uses 8 digits alphanumeric passwords on serious stuff

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Stoat posted:

Outside of the stuff in the OP all you've missed is the current poo poo happening with the hack on the Indiegogo campaign where 4chan was raising money for a female game dev contest.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
oh yeah, the account that had the whole you are an idiot video that appeared in the haxed page links to this youtube account

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009

VJeff posted:

How was Raph

This is all I care about

He was rude and ragey, but not cool. Only Mike was true to the original.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Stoat posted:

page 2 already had you covered

Smeego posted:

• a girl made a game about depression
  • girl might have had sex with Video Game Journalists who gave her good reviews for her game? maybe?
  • this is a mighty blow to the integrity of the Gaming Community and people on reddit got angry
  • someone bothered TotalBiscuit and he made a big post about it on twitter
  • also, people are googling girl's address, which is uncool.
  • Girl Gamer talks to a reddit mod and they are hand-deleting thousands of posts in that totalbiscuit thread instead of deleting the whole thing I guess
  • its really not that important
  • I'm gay. I'm gay as hell

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Nebelwerfer posted:

Are people stupid or what

obv duh

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Falsum posted:

This drama has introduced me to Alter Ego and you should play it because it's the best game.

That thing looks long, is there a payoff for all that ?

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Punching babies was a good enough payoff for me

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011 01100101 01110010

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Summary, Internet White-Knighting is apparently a good thing and not something to look down upon and make fun of?

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011 01100101 01110010

Powercrazy posted:

Summary, Internet White-Knighting is apparently a good thing and not something to look down upon and make fun of?

i'm the black knight

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Hey at least SA has disappeared from this pic.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

thanks guys ill come back on page 160 or so for another stoats update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

quite the fucker posted:

i'm the black knight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQPGtzmStq4