Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Sighence posted:

So it turns out my old 50 wasn't wiped as much as it was under an email I didn't think I used for any games.

Christie@Sighence is ready to resume to adventures of the USS Loose Seal and probably get out of Starfleet Dental because she's still in that because it's that ancient.

e: It's been about two years, give or take. I'll read up on what I can, but for now:

Does it matter for literally any reason, mechanic or story, what order I take these suckers in? They all just came up as I logged back in.

ee: also someone validate Sighence on the wiki please so I can actually read up on these things.

Most of those you can skip. If you want, the temporal ambassador will net you a free ship. Though, it is a tie 3 or 4 I believe and pretty terrible. Sphere of influence has to be done iirc as it unlocks your ability to use the dyson gate where all the fun happens anymore. The others, you can just bring up in the mission log and select skip till you get through them all. As you are 50, there isn't much point in them. There are a few missions worth taking a few times because of the items they give which the wiki will help with (I think).

As for dentals, the fleet is still pretty active and has a fully upgraded starbase, mine, dyson thing, and embassy. So you can just sit back in there and enjoy all that the game has to offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DonDoodles posted:

Xtern1ty stuff:
Literary autist.

Fixed that for you.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Guess what place the farming alt with this build got in CC normal.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Unguided posted:

Guess what place the farming alt with this build got in CC normal.

First?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

New intel leaked

Yep, it really shouldn't be that easy.

bubbles depo
Jul 25, 2006

doot doot!
Oh dear, Xean even needs to control what reviews he gets on his absolutely poo poo writings:

quote:

Before you start trashing my *quote* Excellent Grammar Skills *end quote*, know this:

When I write Permanent Reality, I don't do error checking. I type out a chapter, spell check, and that's it. I'll do all the real error checking when it's done.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Leaks page is updated, more poo poo news coming.

Sighence posted:

So it turns out my old 50 wasn't wiped as much as it was under an email I didn't think I used for any games.

Christie@Sighence is ready to resume to adventures of the USS Loose Seal and probably get out of Starfleet Dental because she's still in that because it's that ancient.

e: It's been about two years, give or take. I'll read up on what I can, but for now:

Does it matter for literally any reason, mechanic or story, what order I take these suckers in? They all just came up as I logged back in.

ee: also someone validate Sighence on the wiki please so I can actually read up on these things.

You're invited to TheNextGooneration and validated on the wiki.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Korgan posted:

That is a really interesting way to work in a Butts reference under CBS' nose.

It's good to see our bribes finally pay off! Congrats guys. :)

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 23, 2014

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Korgan posted:

The new Talaxian Empire faction sounds kind of unnecessary

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
fffffffffffffffff

the Pixies fukken SUCKED fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 24, 2014

Violent Kitten
Dec 26, 2011

Dearmad bhean
an ti ag an gcat.
Yeah I linked his <redacted> in gooneration and mumble days ago, was keeping the link out of the thread though because of the pubbies who read this thread.

Violent Kitten fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 23, 2014

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

Violent Kitten posted:

Yeah I linked his <redacted> in gooneration and mumble days ago, was keeping the link out of the thread though because of the pubbies who read this thread.

Yeah, practice good OPSEC.

Dingdong914
Jul 31, 2014
Can I get sorted on the wiki? Registered as Dingdong914.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
Everyone say hi to Tamujiin!

He's on to us. He googles his name constantly just to be sure.

Here is the "maybe you're right" part he referenced:

quote:

[Local] Tamujiin@tamujiin: You mad bro?
[Local] Nbreeki@nabreeki: Sigh...maybe you're right.
[Local] Nbreeki@nabreeki: Maybe I can see now the err of my ways,
[Local] Nbreeki@nabreeki: Maybe Lake is really like Kim Jong Un.....misunderstood
[Local] Tamujiin@tamujiin: not what i want, yah i want yah to stop trolling people who dont deserve it, and troll people who do.
[Zone] Grummo@staveitoff123: Quick, Neal! A handout! Grab it quick!
[Local] Lake@lake1771: they're not even trolling me. they're making fools of themselves lol
[Local] Nbreeki@nabreeki: Kim Jong Un is a good man at heart, and maybe I have been too harsh, for perhaps Lake, like Kim, deserves more respect

DonDoodles fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 23, 2014

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
I too find that Star Trek Online is a crucible of Ethics and Morality and... couthness?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Hi Tamujin! I'm not in Dental since I'm in a friend's fleet instead, so I only know what I see here. But you know what?

You suck.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Nothing in this world can take the place of a power rack
I'm couth as gently caress y'all.

e: actually, real post, trolling in STO makes me feel weird because the pubbies are so dumb. Star Trek nerds are emotionally stunted weirdos, it takes the fun out of it.

Brownview fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 23, 2014

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Brownview posted:

I'm couth as gently caress y'all.

But is it couth to say you're couth? It might be gauche. :ohdear:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Brownview posted:

e: actually, real post, trolling in STO makes me feel weird because the pubbies are so dumb. Star Trek nerds are emotionally stunted weirdos, it takes the fun out of it.
The worst of STO pubbies are like this unholy combination of asocial video game nerd and spergy developmentally-stunted sci-fi fan, it's really kind of amazing in a horrible way.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
People like to talk about how awful /trade chat in WoW is, and sure, since you've got a bunch of manchildren masturbating into their Guy Fawkes masks, it's plenty stupid and offensive.

STO chat though... good god, it's depressing. There's this awful, grating smugness, between the armchair experts in every field and the constant joust of series warriors that makes me embarrassed to be a part of the sci-fi fandom.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
So, today technical and I played the new spotlight missions Mirror Nova.
Announced as a part (the winner) of Foundry Challenge #9 (the Mirror of New Romulus), expectations were running high.
Does Mirror Nova deliver? No.

Playtime: 30 minutes
Rating: 3/5
Canary: Suicide by Reman
Dil reward: Bugged out and did not give me a reward
Strengths: You can blow up pink Remans on the ground map
Weaknesses: Technobabble, bad science, kinda lackluster, doesn't actually contain Mirror New Romulus

Short summary: You are sent to look after a disappeared Romulan ship. After space portion #1 where you discover a portal into the mirror universe you are stopping (ground portion) the Reman Empire from invading our New Romulus by (space portion #2) blowing up the sun (and escaping by technobabble). It's pretty bland if you only skim the dialogue, but if you read them you will start pulling out your hair.

Long summary: After D'Tan demands you meet him on New Romulus you find yourself foisted off to some nameless assistant who sends you out to find the RRW LostShip which was last seen in some system which the New Romulans have a terraforming interest in. Once you are in said system, your science officer surprises you by telling you that not only does the sun emit as therefor only theoretically conceived particle, but it also forms a lattice in the system for unknown reasons. Oh, and the sun will create a big explosion in under an hour which will saturate the system with these particles. After scanning some particle clouds (where we also find out this shiny particle is radioactive), a portal forms and we are promptly swallowed by it and spat out on the other side - we know this is the mirror universe because there's a transwarp gate and a Romulan base nearby.

Sadly, as we find out, this base is protected by comic book villain Remans (they offer to only torture and kill us if we surrender, instead of defeating and THEN torturing and killing us) which we promptly blow up. Getting a mystery transmission with some coordinates from the station, we beam in on one coordinate (trusting the sender blinds as Fed captains are wont to do) and are now on board of a Reman station, where we promptly kill the poo poo out of the inhabitants.

Thankfully it turns out that the Remans' security system relies entirely on IDs carried by implants and we can somehow emulate these implant signals with our bog standard tricorders. After my officers are done laughing about the dumb Remans (and one officer remarks 10 minutes after being implanted with a transponder that they'd never be implanted with anything) we are on our way into high security labs cordoned off by colorful fog (supposedly not a security feature but for detox).

We find the only Romulan on board of the station who is of course a member of the terribly oppressed Romulan Resistance and sent us the coordinates. She wants us to blow up the sun with a Soranite torpedo and waxes poetically about Soran from Star Trek VII. There might be a theme here, as we find out later: the Romulan Resistance blew up Romulus' sun with such a torpedo and the Remans killed off New Romulus with talaron weapons. Well it's not like this is the brainiac universe. So we technobabble up the needed materials (killing more Remans on the way), have 10 minute of terrible doubt about this poo poo and then leave to blow up the sun so that the Reman fleet of 931 loving Warbirds and 13 stations doesn't invade the poo poo out of us when the sun does its thing in less than an hour. The Romulan scientist of course stays behind so that we don't have any unfortunate questions to ask ourselves later on. Oh and the RRW LostShip's crew was of course tortured to death so we don't have any inconvenient prisoners to free either.

In space portion 2 we do some dodging around nav points, blow up two more warbirds, and then shoot the sun with a torpedo. Thankfully Fed scientists have used 4 minutes inbetween beaming back on board and flying towards the sun to figure out how they can use this side's version of the lattice to ride the particle shockwave from the sun as it blows up back into our universe. So okay, we kinda anticlimatically steer into the sun (STO's space assets are not made for this, much less foundry maps so I kinda hang out in the corona while the foundry hasn't yet realized I hit the nav point), and it disappears to show us some Romulans who were sent to for the disappeared Federation ship which was looking for the disappeared Romulan ship. It's never made clear why this side's sun is in another spot from the mirror sun, but whatever. The mission ends here and technical got his reward (I didn't). gently caress teaming up in the foundry!

Aside from bog standard gameplay, the mission is dragged down by the science/technobabble bullshit. I went past walls of text to watch my bridge officers click some buttons to change Paralithium into Trilithium. A honorable mention goes to the terrible characters (the comic book villain Remans who keep losing planets left and right stand out as well as the Romulans who feel the need to name their sun-killing torpedoes after our universe's Soran), and the few sad attempts of the foundry author to give us choice (we get to choose between "Goodbye" "Good luck", "By the elements", "This is logical" and similar things and have exactly two species specific answers). It's not technically a bad, just medicore mission, but the moment you stop shooting things to actually read the dialog it becomes nearly unbearable technobabble bullshit of the worst kind.

Atrayonis fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 23, 2014

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

Atrayonis posted:

So, today technical and I played the new spotlight missions Mirror Nova.
Announced as a part (the winner) of Foundry Challenge #9 (the Mirror of New Romulus), expectations were running high.
Does Mirror Nova deliver? No.

Playtime: 30 minutes
Rating: 3/5
Canary: Suicide by Reman
Dil reward: Bugged out and did not give me a reward
Strengths: You can blow up pink Remans on the ground map
Weaknesses: Technobabble, bad science, kinda lackluster, doesn't actually contain Mirror New Romulus

Short summary: You are sent to look after a disappeared Romulan ship. After space portion #1 where you discover a portal into the mirror universe you are stopping (ground portion) the Reman Empire from invading our New Romulus by (space portion #2) blowing up the sun (and escaping by technobabble). It's pretty bland if you only skim the dialogue, but if you read them you will start pulling out your hair.

Long summary: After D'Tan demands you meet him on New Romulus you find yourself foisted off to some nameless assistant who sends you out to find the RRW LostShip which was last seen in some system which the New Romulans have a terraforming interest in. Once you are in said system, your science officer surprises you by telling you that not only does the sun emit as therefor only theoretically conceived particle, but it also forms a lattice in the system for unknown reasons. Oh, and the sun will create a big explosion in under an hour which will saturate the system with these particles. After scanning some particle clouds (where we also find out this shiny particle is radioactive), a portal forms and we are promptly swallowed by it and spat out on the other side - we know this is the mirror universe because there's a transwarp gate and a Romulan base nearby.

Sadly, as we find out, this base is protected by comic book villain Remans (they offer to only torture and kill us if we surrender, instead of defeating and THEN torturing and killing us) which we promptly blow up. Getting a mystery transmission with some coordinates from the station, we beam in on one coordinate (trusting the sender blinds as Fed captains are wont to do) and are now on board of a Reman station, where we promptly kill the poo poo out of the inhabitants.

Thankfully it turns out that the Remans' security system relies entirely on IDs carried by implants and we can somehow emulate these implant signals with our bog standard tricorders. After my officers are done laughing about the dumb Remans (and one officer remarks 10 minutes after being implanted with a transponder that they'd never be implanted with anything) we are on our way into high security labs cordoned off by colorful fog (supposedly not a security feature but for detox).

We find the only Romulan on board of the station who is of course a member of the terribly oppressed Romulan Resistance and sent us the coordinates. She wants us to blow up the sun with a Soranite torpedo and waxes poetically about Soran from Star Trek VII. There might be a theme here, as we find out later: the Romulan Resistance blew up Romulus' sun with such a torpedo and the Remans killed off New Romulus with talaron weapons. Well it's not like this is the brainiac universe. So we technobabble up the needed materials (killing more Remans on the way), have 10 minute of terrible doubt about this poo poo and then leave to blow up the sun so that the Reman fleet of 931 loving Warbirds and 13 stations doesn't invade the poo poo out of us when the sun does its thing in less than an hour. The Romulan scientist of course stays behind so that we don't have any unfortunate questions to ask ourselves later on. Oh and the RRW LostShip's crew was of course tortured to death so we don't have any inconvenient prisoners to free either.

In space portion 2 we do some dodging around nav points, blow up two more warbirds, and then shoot the sun with a torpedo. Thankfully Fed scientists have used 4 minutes inbetween beaming back on board and flying towards the sun to figure out how they can use this side's version of the lattice to ride the particle shockwave from the sun as it blows up back into our universe. So okay, we kinda anticlimatically steer into the sun (STO's space assets are not made for this, much less foundry maps so I kinda hang out in the corona while the foundry hasn't yet realized I hit the nav point), and it disappears to show us some Romulans who were sent to for the disappeared Federation ship which was looking for the disappeared Romulan ship. It's never made clear why this side's sun is in another spot from the mirror sun, but whatever. The mission ends here and technical got his reward (I didn't). gently caress teaming up in the foundry!

Aside from bog standard gameplay, the mission is dragged down by the science/technobabble bullshit. I went past walls of text to watch my bridge officers click some buttons to change Paralithium into Trilithium. A honorable mention goes to the terrible characters (the comic book villain Remans who keep losing planets left and right stand out as well as the Romulans who feel the need to name their sun-killing torpedoes after our universe's Soran), and the few sad attempts of the foundry author to give us choice (we get to choose between "Goodbye" "Good luck", "By the elements", "This is logical" and similar things and have exactly two species specific answers). It's not technically a bad, just medicore mission, but the moment you stop shooting things to actually read the dialog it becomes nearly unbearable technobabble bullshit of the worst kind.

Normally, I'd scoff at anybody that didn't use a spoiler tag for this. Given how poo poo this mission is, I am now feeling a debt of gratitude for saving others from running this mission.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dingdong914 posted:

Hmm less than 2 month old account, only posts in STO thread.

Seems legit.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Turns out somehow I wasn't in Dental, even though it said I was on the splash screen until earlier? Whatever, it's Cryptic, I'm unsurprised. I would like to get back into Dental, though. Christie@Sighence

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

Dingdong914 posted:

Thanks for supporting the "Something Awful" Forums. I assure you during your time with us you will be treated with the utmost respect! Please don't forget to purchase the platinum upgrade. It's worth it!

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary

CrushedWill posted:

Normally, I'd scoff at anybody that didn't use a spoiler tag for this. Given how poo poo this mission is, I am now feeling a debt of gratitude for saving others from running this mission.
Spoiler tags are only for missions that are so good I want others to play them and that most goons don't already know.

That's also why I'm not summing up UESF like that - it's a mission everyone should play at least once without prejudices!

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

Sighence posted:

Turns out somehow I wasn't in Dental, even though it said I was on the splash screen until earlier? Whatever, it's Cryptic, I'm unsurprised. I would like to get back into Dental, though. Christie@Sighence

A little over a year ago there was a purge of inactive players to make room for new goons, so most likely that's the reason why. Just ask in channel and someone will get you in.

Edit: In addition to Marq and Xean, someone got the furries flipping out.

catstarsto posted:

I realize there is a majority of people who have hated me since i first arrived on this forum, the number increased as I resisted ARC and called PWE on refusing to deal with and acknowledge my customer service issues, many of which ive had to deal with for years now!

Since im already the sweetest target on the troll list and least liked anyways, let this thread be for bashing ME and me alone, say or call me anything u want. Drag me through the mud and have a good laugh at my expense....but leave the others alone!!! Like the MODs have done for the DOOMED thread, let all flaming and put downs be brought here and away from the rest of the thread so people dont have to see the mean spirited nature of some of our more hateful posters! I didnt post in a few threads like the "say something good about the connie" one, because i knew certain people would start hating anything i mentioned liking, like they did in the roddenberry birthday thread, (notice after i didnt answer and the connie didnt get bashed again, people felt safe to admit they liked it?) ...so if you would be so kind, please place all negative comments here!

So without further delay...let me have it!

They are just all coming out of the woodwork this week.

For reference (though I suspect the thread will be removed shortly):http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1201741&page=1

DonDoodles fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 24, 2014

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Dingdong914 posted:

You failed to make your introduction post over here. Use as much detail as you can and be sure to also outline your gaming history.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

DonDoodles posted:

A little over a year ago there was a purge of inactive players to make room for new goons, so most likely that's the reason why. Just ask in channel and someone will get you in.

Edit: In addition to Marq and Xean, someone got the furries flipping out.

They are just all coming out of the woodwork this week.

For reference (though I suspect the thread will be removed shortly):http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1201741&page=1

People are attempting to explain to him that he's not that big of a deal. His reactions reek of hilariously over the top narcissism.

quote:

I'm pretty sure you are not flamed because you said arc and cryptic's customer service are bad. It's common knowledge.

I'm sure there are other reasons why you have been flamed, if you had been. Maybe because of your ego ?

quote:

id thought of that and can understand it can seem that way sometimes, but people with egos arent able to make fun of themselves or look at others opinions to weight both sides, due to their egos. im loose enough to be able make fun of myself and my faults all the time #1934, what i have and display is confidence!

STO's community is the best community. Such insanity. :allears:

Edit: I just noticed all the people with furry avatars are out in force either supporting him, making equally crazy posts, or telling him that this was a bad idea. This is amazing.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I want to ask that dude if the stigmata holes are big enough to see through when he covers his eyes.

Dingdong914
Jul 31, 2014

DancingShade posted:

Hmm less than 2 month old account, only posts in STO thread.

Seems legit.

Fine, I'll go sit in the corner...

e: and do the other intro thing that I forgot.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dingdong914 posted:

Fine, I'll go sit in the corner...

e: and do the other intro thing that I forgot.

Your GBS intro thread? Yeah, that's kinda overdue.

EDIT: anyone else having trouble with the launcher autoupdate?

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 24, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

EDIT: anyone else having trouble with the launcher autoupdate?

Yes, though it sorted itself out eventually.

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.
Okay guys :siren:COMPETITION TIME!:siren:

What with the crystalline entity event and pubbies being terrible at it I thought we could have a little challenge to see who can find the most stacks of Re-Crystalize! Just post a screenshot in the thread, highest amount wins.

Starting bid is 178 (it actually got to 180 but I didn't screen that)

Prize: 10 promotional bug ship doff packs.

End date: when the event finishes, September 11th :911:

Good hunting!

Bagpuss fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 24, 2014

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Bagpuss posted:

Okay guys :siren:COMPETITION TIME!:siren:

What with the crystalline entity event and pubbies being terrible at it I thought we could have a little challenge to see who can find the most stacks of Re-Crystalize! Just post a screenshot in the thread, highest amount wins.

Starting bid is 178 (it actually got to 180 but I didn't screen that)

Prize: 10 promotional bug ship doff packs.

End date: when the event finishes, September 11th :911:

Good hunting!
I raise to 466.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
I'm a little confused, how can you tell that's 466 and not just 66? Or, the first one, that it's 178 and not just 78?

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

kafziel posted:

I'm a little confused, how can you tell that's 466 and not just 66? Or, the first one, that it's 178 and not just 78?
You're either there watching it grow and grow or you read the sliver of the number that's not beneath the icon to the left. For example, you can tell it's a 4 because it looks like the last right bit of the other 4 from the icon to the left of it.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

DonDoodles posted:

Also it doesn't update on the login screen until you actually log back in so that's why it said you were in SFD when you first logged in.

Dingdong914
Jul 31, 2014
Done and done:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3660226

I'm disappointed, I expected harsher replies and pics of birds with wieners for some reason. Wrong subforum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Dingdong914 posted:

Done and done:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3660226

I'm disappointed, I expected harsher replies and pics of birds with wieners for some reason. Wrong subforum?

Thanks for this, it's so nice to see someone that can follow the instructions CLEARLY marked in the OP.

• Locked thread